42 East 58th Street
New York, NY 10022Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.taorestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2128882288
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday – Sunday: 11:30am – 5:00pm; Dinner: Sunday – Wednesday: 5:00pm- 12:00am, Thursday – Saturday: 5:00pm – 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Pan-Asian, Asian
- Executive Chef: John Villa
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Enjoy TAO classics catered to the venue of your choice. Our off-premise catering services range from a small drop off and set up for 10 people, to an off-premise event for thousands. TAO signature dishes, including our famous Chilean Sea Bass, Kung Pao Chicken, Wasabi Crusted Filet Mignon, Coconut Shrimp, and our wide selection of Sushi, will be delivered right to your door. Use us for your next birthday celebration, office luncheon, family gathering, or Super Bowl party. Always a Happy Ending!
- Special Events: For all parties of 15 or more please inquire with our banquet department at 212-399-3097.
A word from Tao Uptown
A 16-foot Buddha, which floats above a reflecting pool filled with Japanese carp, presides over the scene at Tao. A favorite destination for celebrities and athletes, this Pan Asian restaurant specializes in authentic Hong Kong Chinese, Japanese and Thai cuisines. Tao has three levels of dining including the prized "Skybox" which offers views of this former movie theater unparalleled in New York. In addition to its 300 seats, Tao includes a sushi bar, lounge and two bars at which to enjoy the food and the show. Appetizers range from $8 - $18; Entrees: $16 -$39. Offering $27.50 Prix Fixe Lunch Menu year round.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAsian
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Tao Uptown - Best Restaurants in Midtown East ›
Tao Uptown reviews from OpenTable diners
845 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelEnergetic
hot spot (440)special occasion (398)good for groups (360)vibrant bar scene (328)fit for foodies (251)romantic (206)late-night find (198)great for lunch (139)neighborhood gem (83)scenic view (83)notable wine list (43)great for outdoor dining (36)great for brunch (34)kid-friendly (26)Show More
- The best Japanese in new York cityjlalcalar1Dined on 8/29/2014I recommend this restaurant, the food is excellent, is romantic, for special occasions, great for lunch and dinner, is good for groups, price super accessible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was okJennao57Dined on 8/29/2014We went as a group of four girls - we thought that this would be a fun place to have dinner and drinks. We could tell that the server just wanted to turn tables and was annoyed that we were enjoying a long dinner. If you want to have a rushed dinner then go here. Otherwise try somewhere else.
- AllyAlly27Dined on 8/29/2014Great food with fantastic surroundings and ambience. A little loud so would not recommend for a romantic dinner. The service is ok, expect snooty waiters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DocLevVIPDined on 8/29/2014Great Place, Lots of fun. Good service and food. Like the megabuda! Don't miss the cocktails and BBQ plates Great Spring rolls and Duck. Miso Cod awesome. Right next to Four Seasons NYCSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food never failsDanielVIPDined on 8/28/2014I've been to Tao in Vegas, New York downtown, but this wasy first experience at Tao uptown. The food the ambiance the decor was amazing. The only part of the experience that disappointed was the service. It took forever to get a menu, to order. The waiter was not as attentive as to what I'm used to from Tao. Overall the food never fails and the cocktails are superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PamBVIPDined on 8/28/2014Food and ambiance are great! Drinks are wonderful and Dessert is incredible! Love this place. Great place for a large group too!Special Features:
- Boss birthdayFredWerkhaizerDined on 8/28/2014My boss came from Brazil to visit me and enjoy her birthday in NY. She asked me to choose a good restaurant to celebrate. She really enjoied her birthday at Tao uptown. Your waiter was awesome and food delicios. Thank U all Tao staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mostly TouristsMidFiftiesDined on 8/27/2014Packed, mechanical, and too loud. Food is OK, and service was friendly. Mostly tourists.Special Features:
- Party of 6YumYumVIPDined on 8/26/2014I was expecting it to be much louder and more crowded but we had a lovely dinner for six with good food and service. It was summer and a Tuesday night so that may have worked in our favor. All in all, it was fun and I'd go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food / Customer weakmfmas163Dined on 8/25/2014Beautiful, nice place, with great food, but service to customers often poorly (delay, lack of attention and patience of waiters). But it's still an experience worth living.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WowValeottoDined on 8/24/2014Very good food and ambience. I will come again for sure !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great scene , fair foodNitroVIPDined on 8/24/2014The decor and vibe upon entering Tao was promising:a hip upscale version of a big city Chinese restaurant in the middle of a movie set ( thanks to an enormous Buddha ). The wait staff were all attractive and attentive, the crowd was buzzing, but the food was no better than the usual fare at my local PF Changs suburban chain -- and at midtown NYC prices. Dry untasty duck rolls for starters were followed by unshelled lobster pieces and overcooked shrimp covered in thick greasy black bean sauce. Cracking the lobster required a bath afterwards, the kitchen apparently couldn't be bothered to do this for you. I tasted a slightly better piece of seafood ordered by one of my party. I might return for drinks at the nice bar, but not a meal.Special Features:
- An ExperienceHoodyGetsOutDined on 8/24/2014My 21 year old daughter and I enjoyed our TAO evening. The food was excellent although we ordered too much!!!! The lighting is very subdued which meant that we had a real difficulty reading the menu and none of our photographs turned out. This was a real pity as the decor is absolutely amazing. The restaurant came recommended to me by 2 different people and I was not disappointed. I was surprised to see such a wide age group on a Sunday Evening at 8pm. Next to my table was a group of 10 celebrating a birthday for a 15 or 16 year old female. The group comprised of 2 adults with 8 teenagers. At another table close by 2 adults were at a table with a baby in a car seat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome AtmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/22/2014As always Tao impresses! Service, food, ambeince, wine = Awesome!Special Features:
- good food great ambienceyashDined on 8/22/2014we went to tao for dinner with family, no kids. we arrived earlier than our reservation and sat in the bar/lounge area and got a drink. the mixed drinks were very good. service at tao was excellent, attentive servers, the server suggested things that were popular and we were happy with the recommendationsSpecial Features:
- Chinese FusionmmittagDined on 8/22/2014If you like a great, vibrant, place that has been a former cinema and like Chinese Fusion, Tao is the place! Not too noisy and great and quick service. Been there for the second time and loved it as much as first time. The food is exceptional and well worth the wait even with booking!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fania1306Dined on 8/21/2014Bel endroit branché...nourriture de bonne qualité...mais cher...Special Features:
- GroupskirderoDined on 8/21/2014This place is filled with large tables with people who have something to celebrate. Not good for an intimate dinner when you want to have conversation. Food was mediocre, in particular when you consider the price.Special Features:
- Reservation out of controlGiulioDined on 8/20/2014We made a reservation at 8:00 PM but the table was not available. After 20 minutes we asked information about our reservation, and they said that we should wait few minutes. we had the chance to seat only after 8.30PM, more thatn half-an hour later the scheduled time of reservaton. I think that this is not a service that a restuatnat like Tao should give to its customers.Special Features:
- Not like as it used to bebagelman77Dined on 8/20/2014Food is not as good as what was being served 6 years ago. Kitchen needs a big lift! If you are asking $34.00 for a half red snapper, make sure it is SERVED hot, fresh and juicy! We were shocked to be served entrees that were waiting in the kitchen at least 30 minutes before being "distributed" to the very well stiffed tables. Staff is very friendly and attentive. However, for the food don't expect those $$$$ price tags to inspire you! Food in Tao is no longer good it is cold!
- Why make a reservation?FernandoDined on 8/19/2014I made a reservation for 8 pm but we didn't get a table until 8:45. During that delay nobody informed me, I had to ask more than 5 times in the front desk where there are very pretty young ladies but not professional enough.
- Never a disappointmentCris101Dined on 8/19/2014Great dining experience. Food fabulous as has been in the past. Only issue was our waiter seemed to be overwhelmed after we received our entrees. We had to seek him out for cocktail refills and desert. but that wont stop us from going back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great week night dinnerluv2dineDined on 8/19/2014The food was excellent and the so was the service. The ambiance was good. We had dinner during a week night and it wasn't crazy crowded or very noisy which is great. The kobe beef was excellent. The only issue I have with this place is the lighting. It is a little too dark to see your menu. We had to use the flashlight on our iphones to read them. Since I didn't pay for the dinner....I can't speak about the cost.Special Features:
- Love the duck!BradDined on 8/18/2014Great Peking duck! I also highly recommend the avocado tempura and the giant fortune cookie for desert.Special Features:
- OKSarahVIPDined on 8/18/2014My party and I told our waiter that we are pescetarians (only meat we eat is seafood) and don't want anything that has any alcohol in it (regardless of whether it's been cooked out or not), and we asked him to inform us of what options we could have according to our preferences. He had to be told this several times and as a result we had to wait about an hour for our apps. to arrive. Apparently he forgot to put in our order. Then the same thing happened for our entrees. The food was good, but we were severely restricted in our choices of apps. and entrees. The last time we came here, we were told that several items we ordered didn't have alcohol in them, but this time our waiter told us that those same items had alcohol.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our best lunchAhappycustomer39Dined on 8/18/2014My family and I went for lunch and we never forget that. The food was fantastic and super delicious. We had lobster and prawn spring roll and short rib for appetizer and they were the best one that I ever had. We also ordered three main courses and each one was one of its kind. The orange chicken, coconut shrimp and pad Thai . So yummy. We never forget this experience and I highly recommend it to who ever visit New York .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, but much too loudmanolanDined on 8/16/2014I enjoyed the pan-Asian menu (despite the obsession with the least interesting cut of beef ever, Filet Mignon), but the noise level is ridiculous for dinner. Fine for a late-night bar when you can get close, but much too loud to be sitting across a table.Special Features:
- Very goodViniciusCarvalhoDined on 8/16/2014Very good. Service, ambience, food and music! Great night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZING!!!!!ivettecDined on 8/16/2014What wonderful experience. We went with a group of 6 and loved everything about it. The food was amazing and so was the atmosphere. We had great service and didn't feel like they were trying to rush us out. I will de be back again! =)Special Features:
- TAO has gone badNewlywedzDined on 8/16/2014Exited to finally dine at TAO. We arrived 10 minuts late but was still within their "15-minut-window". The girl at the door was friendly, but the woman showing us our table was rude and quiet. Our waiter was probably brand new. We found it strange that he didnt ask us about drinks, he went straight to the ordering of foods. The food came really quick (good) but we still had only water at the table. When we were almost done eating our entree we managed to get a hold of him and got some wine. All over the food was OK. We were tricked into order "todays spesial" salat which cost 3 times as much as the other entrees. Very loud music. Guests in shorts and t-shirts. Tourist-trap. Not the fancy ambience we expected. We finished quickly and left.Special Features:
- InterestingBunnyVIPDined on 8/16/2014We were 6 for dinner and while most of us had rare tuna, everything was outstanding. Their lobster and watermelon appetizer was exceptional. One person had snapper and said it was excellent.Special Features:
- Love TaoJulesVIPDined on 8/16/2014Never been to Tao and wanted to reconnect with an old friend. We got to Tao around 5pm and it was AMAZING!!!!! We stayed for 3 hours and ate almost everything on menu. I'm usually not that impressed or overly excited about the NYC restaurants, but this was SPECTACULAR!!!!Special Features:
- The Ambience was very good.JIJIVIPDined on 8/16/2014We had a great time at Tao and would definitely recommend it. We will be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could not be more impressed!!JdansDined on 8/15/2014Such a great vibe overall. Food was Phenomonal, especially the pad Thai! Kudos to the chef and staff. Had to wait a few minutes after our reservation but was so worth the wait!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and venuOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014Pros: impressive venu, fantastic food, reasonable prices. Cons: two-person tables are cramped, table was only available 45 minutes after our reservationI would recommend this to a friend.
- New York fine diningLunchalotDined on 8/15/2014Really enjoyed it! Great experience fantastic food and brilliant service. The decor was some thing special when you walk in the door.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014The place is fantastic! But, the service is terrible!!! The waiter were rushing us, to order fast and to eat fast. Was realy unconfortable! Not good experience!Special Features:
- ittywittyDined on 8/15/2014My first time at Tao and the ambience is great. This food was good too. I went with coworkers for Restaurant Week and ordered the bang bang chicken salad, which was extra tasty. For my entree, I ordered the mushu pork with pancakes, which was a hefty portion, so I ended up taking home. And then I had the chocolate parfait, which was yummy! My only complaint was that we had lipstick on our glass and my coworker stepped on an earring on the way in that went through and damaged her shoe. This restaurant needs to be better about cleanliness for sure!!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014service was great and helpfull the music was greatSpecial Features:
- Take to longCrisDined on 8/14/2014We arrived just in the hour of our reservation buy ele had to wait more than half hour. The previous reservation didnt work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.