42 East 58th Street
New York, NY 10022Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.taorestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2128882288
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday – Sunday: 11:30am – 5:00pm; Dinner: Sunday – Wednesday: 5:00pm- 12:00am, Thursday – Saturday: 5:00pm – 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Pan-Asian, Asian
- Executive Chef: John Villa
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Enjoy TAO classics catered to the venue of your choice. Our off-premise catering services range from a small drop off and set up for 10 people, to an off-premise event for thousands. TAO signature dishes, including our famous Chilean Sea Bass, Kung Pao Chicken, Wasabi Crusted Filet Mignon, Coconut Shrimp, and our wide selection of Sushi, will be delivered right to your door. Use us for your next birthday celebration, office luncheon, family gathering, or Super Bowl party. Always a Happy Ending!
- Special Events: For all parties of 15 or more please inquire with our banquet department at 212-399-3097.
A word from Tao Uptown
A 16-foot Buddha, which floats above a reflecting pool filled with Japanese carp, presides over the scene at Tao. A favorite destination for celebrities and athletes, this Pan Asian restaurant specializes in authentic Hong Kong Chinese, Japanese and Thai cuisines. Tao has three levels of dining including the prized "Skybox" which offers views of this former movie theater unparalleled in New York. In addition to its 300 seats, Tao includes a sushi bar, lounge and two bars at which to enjoy the food and the show. Appetizers range from $8 - $18; Entrees: $16 -$39. Offering $27.50 Prix Fixe Lunch Menu year round.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAsian
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Tao Uptown - Best Restaurants in Midtown East ›
Tao Uptown reviews from OpenTable diners
832 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelEnergetic
hot spot (442)good for groups (393)special occasion (391)vibrant bar scene (326)fit for foodies (289)late-night find (206)romantic (200)great for lunch (126)neighborhood gem (99)scenic view (81)notable wine list (44)great for outdoor dining (40)kid-friendly (31)great for brunch (29)Show More
- asiantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/29/2014We asked in our hotel for a nice japanese restaurant and we were sent to Tao! When we arrived, we found loud good taste music, mouthwatering sushis in an darkish, yet charming place. Definately a must visit in Ny!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/28/2014Wish the waiter was more attentive. We had to ask for water, wrong bottle of wine was bought to our table. We had to keep calling him for attn.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great energy, amazing foodBellaVIPDined on 10/28/2014Amazing food, great service, The only problem, they were over booked and they made us wait for 30 min although we had reservation. Amazing energy. Don't consider this resturant if u r planning a quite, romantic dinner. I would defiantly recomand.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to spend a nightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/27/2014This is a really nice restaurant-bar that will satisfy your expectations if you are locking for a night to have fun with your wife, husband, gf or group of friends. Try to arrive at least 10 minutes before your reservation because it is too crowded at night.Special Features:
- Very recommendedMAPMDined on 10/27/2014Really good place to enjoy a dinner with family or friends. Better even if shared dishes, as the option menu is full of appealling suggestions.Special Features:
- OuStanding as it was last time !TrionorDined on 10/26/2014Was in Tao with a group of six girls ! My second visit my friends fiesta time! my gal pals adored Tao it was superb from minute we walked in! Just the best buzz with incredible and fantastic food!! So so fantastic! We all said we would go back anytime ! 😃 our waiter was fabulous! Just so brilliant !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!BirdDined on 10/26/2014Everything was delicious, excellent and a little expensive!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/26/2014I was initially undecided on which Tao to go to, but in looking at the decor in Uptown, I really liked what I saw. They were very accommodating with our late arrival for our reservation. I loved the decor, the vibe and the food was excellent. The only thing I was not pleased with was our waitress because she took at least 30-40min to take our order for drinks. At that point, we just put in our orders for everything. I will recommend the restaurant, just make sure you're not too hungry in case you have to wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014This place is amazing. The decor is spectacular. A Buddha statue 2 stories high inside the restaurant in Manhattan is the coolest thing ever....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/25/2014The food was amazing and the atmosphere was great! I celebrated my birthday here and it was great for the group of us; intimate yet hip scene. I would recommend this place to anyone who loves Asian, seafood and great ambiance!Special Features:
- Way too loud for dinningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014To cut to the chase, this is a restaurant, with no dance floor, that plays music too loud to hear people round the table! Great place to be seen, but useless for dinning! They even had someone playing bongos at one point, encouraging guests to join in! Food was OK and service was not bad. 20ft Budha was fun! Don't go for a romantic or family meal!Special Features:
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014Can't say enough about the overall experience. Great food, ambiance and very good service. A place not to miss!Special Features:
- 3rd times a charm!tmacDined on 10/25/2014This was my 3rd time dining at TAO and each time it keeps getting better. Food, service & atmosphere were wonderful. Enjoyed a great view of the bustling dining room & 60 foot Buddah from a third floor balcony table. Server recommended a wonderful cold sake which was a perfectly complimented our appetizers. Can't wait to return!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time visit was great!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014We celebrated my B'day and this was my first visit to Tao. We went for lunch on Sunday. The ambiance is outstanding and the Restaurant's Decor is stunning. Food and service were great too. Overall we had a very enjoyable Sunday afternoon.Special Features:
- VibrantDonMonchoDined on 10/24/2014It feels like being in a party where everybody is having a great time. Food in general is very good as well as the service, considering the amount of People they have to take care. Certainly will come back again.Special Features:
- Super food - too loudOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014I had my best dumplings ever and a very good lobster with noodles. The waiter was very nice and attentive, would absolutely recommend this, but the loud music took away a little of the good food experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good placeFutfreeDined on 10/24/2014Food and service very good. The feel of the place and ambience of the place, excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Energetic PlaceBocksDined on 10/23/2014The place was really energetic. Kind of reminded me of a club when I walked in but the upstairs dining area was pretty cool. Food was great and the atmosphere in the upstairs dining room was still vibrant and excited. Definitely a fun place to eat dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First visit great findOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/23/2014Great ambience and atmosphere. Good option for a date night. The sea bass is outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent - as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/23/2014I've been to Tao a handull of times and the food is wonderful. Not something I can afford more than once a year but worth it. The Vegtable spring rolls and steak was a perfect combination.Special Features:
- Delicious ! but a long wait !OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/22/2014We had booked our table 10 days in advance and arrived on time, despite this, we had to wait for an hour in the very crowded bar before finally being shown to our table - not a great start ! Thankfully, once seated, the service improved hugely and we could enjoy the buzzy atmosphere . The food was absolutely wonderful, the lacquered roast pork was delicious and the chicken gyoza the best ever. We were very tempted to return, but sadly ran out of time - by far the best meal we had in NYC !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TeishaTaoloverbutnotmidtownDined on 10/22/2014Not like the downtown location at all. It was a totally different menu, the service was sub-par at best and the price was more expensive.Special Features:
- poor service food okayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/22/2014Been at TAO for many lunches. This occasion the food continually arrived late. And, the flavor of food did not compensate for the irritation with the lateness. After an hour and half had to leave to return to work, before finishing meal. Waitress while very nice and personable never was available for the question "where is our food". Food was okay, not memorable. Doubtful I will return anytime soon.
- Excellent as AlwaysHoopfan1Dined on 10/20/2014Every time we come to NY, we always make it to TAO. We went to the uptown restaurant and we actually seated early. The chilian sea bass was spectacular, melts in your mouth and the coconut shrimp was excellent as well. Sushi was very good and we topped off our meal with the giant ( and it is giant) black & white mousse fortune cookie. Matthew our server was great, we never felt rushed and he was always there when we needed something. A great dining experience, highly recommend but definietly make reservations and stay away from weekends when it is packed and you will probably gave to wait even with reservations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great experience.SweetsDined on 10/20/2014Great ambiance featuring the floor to ceiling Budha. Always friendly reception. Grilled Red Snapper, Kung Pao Chicken, Peking Duck for 2. All delicious dishes and well presented. Never disappoints!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014To cold, to much aircon, to much noice, the food was good looking but to much deepfried and without authentic taste.
- Tao uptownEnglishinNYDined on 10/19/2014We had a great table looking over the ground floor dining area. The food was excellent and wine just right for the occasion. A little expensive but I guess its what you should expect in NYCSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic FusionUESfoodieVIPDined on 10/19/2014Our family of five had a wonderful dining experience at Tao. We celebrated one of our daughter's 16th birthdays there and couldn't have had a more enjoyable time. The giant buddha and koi pond are breath-taking. The waitstaff were professional and attentive. We loved all of our dishes - from the chicken gyoza appetitzer to the noodle dishes, Kung Pao chicken, filet mignon and steak. The giant fortune cookie dessert was a tremendous hit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- no customer serviceNotHappyCustomerDined on 10/19/2014I had a reservation for 8 people last Sunday night. It was my fiance surprise birthday dinner with our friends. First of all and very disappointing was the hostess who practically ruined the surprise by saying oh yeah that's big table in the middle.It was as 2 of us and everybody, who is not "totally out" and who is visiting TAO often like us, know that 2 people don't get any big table, so that's it he know right away.And yes I give you guys note that it is surprise party while I was making this reservation. Please train your staff. This shouldn't happen in restaurant like TAO. Second was the service! Our server was slow or better slower that slow! For every drink we waited approx. 15-20-25 minutes. Food was fast and delicious like always!
- Betty BalBettybDined on 10/18/2014While it took is quite some time to be seated even with reservations, I was disappointed in the fact that: A. The front desk is handle very inappropriately. They tell you how long the wait is and then you have to go up not once but twice to get a real time. B. Our waiter announced how wonderful he was only to disappear for 15 minutes at a time. C. While the food was good it was very disappointing to find a piece of packaging wire in the Sea Bass skewers, only to be told sometimes things happen when you are busy. I have eaten in some of the best restaurants in NYC and this was not my first time there, but I usually go just for drinks. Needles to say I will not be eating there in the future. I think the staff needs a little restructuring.Special Features:
- DisappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/18/2014Disappointed with service, noise and attitude. I definitely do not recommend this restaurant.
- Long wait, even with a reservationOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/18/2014Tao has been known for requesting your entire party to be present before you are able to be sitted. Lately, even if your party is assembled together, prior to your reservation time, the wait will be for up to 1 hour (even if you have a reservation!)Special Features:
- Excellent food and sceneOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/18/2014Watch the NYC scene at this upbeat city restaurant. Loud bar music, great cocktails. Excellent food and beautiful decor! A hip scene. Love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was divine pity about staff!Fabulous40Dined on 10/18/2014After waiting almost an hour after our reservation time we finally got our table. Food was fantastic, tasted amazing and very good portion sizes so although it's expensive it was worth it. Some of the staff were pure ignorant though and wouldn't even take a picture of our group who were celebrating birthdays. Couldn't believe their rudeness in brushing us off, I know they weren't looking after our table but I don't think that's any excuse.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!leann013Dined on 10/18/2014As a vegetarian my options are few and far between. I loved this place and intend to go back as long as my wallet can handle it!Special Features:
- ExcellentGoeyDined on 10/16/2014Food and service was fabulous. However it is very noisy - difficult to have a conversation with your partner. Techno music took away from the ambience. Tables way to close together. Can't request the booths for 2 people - although there were only 2 people in some of the booths.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow Tao - Always greatBonitaDined on 10/16/2014Love it, love it, love it. One of my very favorites. Went with a large group - everyone very impressed with surroundings, food, ambiance, etc. I requested a large round table for our group. We were given a magnificent table with a very large lazy susan in the middle - great for sampling dishes. We arrived at 12:30 for lunch and were seated almost immediately. Everyone ordered the luncheon special - a great deal. We were not rushed and we found ourselves lingering over our delicious food. We left at almost 3. I can't wait to return and I love to introduce this extraordinary restaurant to others as my friends think I'm a genius when they go here with me!Special Features:
- Not our best dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/15/2014Cavernous space, mediocre Asian favorites served fast. Hoped for better.
- Camila CâmaraOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/14/2014Fomos muito bem atendidos. Comida ótima. Ambiente Maravilhoso.Parabéns pelo excelente atendimento.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wallyDined on 10/14/2014Food was just ok. Service was badly timed and much too fast. Waiter removed my wine glass with the remainder of my wine still in it. A definite no-no. Won't rush back.Special Features: