42 East 58th Street
New York, NY 10022Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.taorestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2128882288
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday – Sunday: 11:30am – 5:00pm; Dinner: Sunday – Wednesday: 5:00pm- 12:00am, Thursday – Saturday: 5:00pm – 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Pan-Asian, Asian
- Executive Chef: John Villa
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Enjoy TAO classics catered to the venue of your choice. Our off-premise catering services range from a small drop off and set up for 10 people, to an off-premise event for thousands. TAO signature dishes, including our famous Chilean Sea Bass, Kung Pao Chicken, Wasabi Crusted Filet Mignon, Coconut Shrimp, and our wide selection of Sushi, will be delivered right to your door. Use us for your next birthday celebration, office luncheon, family gathering, or Super Bowl party. Always a Happy Ending!
- Special Events: For all parties of 15 or more please inquire with our banquet department at 212-399-3097.
A word from Tao Uptown
A 16-foot Buddha, which floats above a reflecting pool filled with Japanese carp, presides over the scene at Tao. A favorite destination for celebrities and athletes, this Pan Asian restaurant specializes in authentic Hong Kong Chinese, Japanese and Thai cuisines. Tao has three levels of dining including the prized "Skybox" which offers views of this former movie theater unparalleled in New York. In addition to its 300 seats, Tao includes a sushi bar, lounge and two bars at which to enjoy the food and the show. Appetizers range from $8 - $18; Entrees: $16 -$39. Offering $27.50 Prix Fixe Lunch Menu year round.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAsian
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Tao Uptown - Best Restaurants in Midtown East ›
Tao Uptown reviews from OpenTable diners
817 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelEnergetic
hot spot (439)special occasion (380)good for groups (364)vibrant bar scene (319)fit for foodies (253)late-night find (206)romantic (197)great for lunch (130)neighborhood gem (88)scenic view (84)notable wine list (44)great for outdoor dining (34)great for brunch (33)kid-friendly (28)Show More
- Girl's Night at TaoCubanCutieDined on 9/27/2014This weekend a group of us decided to have a girls night at Tao. This was my first time going to the downtown location. The ambiance was great the good was excellent and our server at the table was very friendly. I wish I could say the same for the hostesses and ladies who worked the bar area. Although we did have reservation and arrived prior to our set time we still had to wait a good amount of time. The food was delicious :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Great scene, excellent service, amazing food and drinks. Highly recommend Tao for any occassion :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was lukewarmOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/27/2014I was disappointed that our food was lukewarm. Other than that it was good. We were seated right away. Service was excellent.Special Features:
- Too much for too littleOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014When I made my reservation, I requested a table that had excellent placement. It was a special occasion for my girlfriend and I. After arriving on time at 8:30, we waited an additional 30 minutes only to be seated on the very far side of the Buddah where the view was completely blocked of the greatest attribute of the restaurant Our waiter was rushed, short and impersonal. We ordered a full course meal and all items were brought out at the same time. At the level of restaurant that Tao is it, and considering the price, this all should be professional and up to industry standards. My guess is that this email will be discarded as I am sure you receive many reviews, some positive and some negative but I want you to know that I am dis.Special Features:
- great food, but drowned by noiseMarcusVIPDined on 9/26/2014Fabulous setting and food was incredible. But service was slow and overall it wasn't worth the price especially since we couldn't hear ourselves think let alone try to have a conversation. What is the point of having the music so obnoxiously loud during dinner? Felt more like a nightclub than a restaurant I wouldn't recommend or go back for that reason. Try Buddakhan instead.Special Features:
- Good food, but noisyEHKBrDined on 9/25/2014The food was excellent as well as the service, but I was with family trying to have some sort of talking and the level of noise made it pratically impossible. I think it was my fault because I did not realize that it was not only a good oriental restaurant, but also a night club.Special Features:
- Great locationFerdinand59Dined on 9/25/2014It was a perfect evening. We had a reservation for 7.00 p.m. and we got our table perfectly in time. Dinner was great. Service absolutely o.k. Overall a great experience.Special Features:
- good pan asian foodsal900Dined on 9/25/2014Not your usual chinese / thai restaurant .definely a great place to go for a fun night but reservations are a mustSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like being on vacationBonitaDined on 9/23/2014One of my favorite restaurants! When I come here, I always feel like I'm on vacation. I just went with my husband and it was lovely and romantic. Recently went with a large group and it was fun and energetic, The wait staff is always so attentive and the food is delish. The bathrooms are very attractive - but watch out that you don't go into the wrong one! The ladies room is to the right of the steps when you walk downstairs. There are three levels and a fabulous lounge area, Go tomorrow - you won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exquisite Chinese FoodscottyVIPDined on 9/22/2014Believe the hype. There is a reason this place is packed. The food is worth every cent! The flavors melt in your mouth. Their Miso Crusted Chilean Seabass may well be the best piece of fish I have ever had. Service was a little inconsistent. They went from being over zealous about clearing apps to bring mains before we were done. Then once the mains were cleared and we ordered desert the staff seemed to disappear and the wait for the dessert and check seemed out of place here. That said I would go back for the delicious food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great experiencekasiaDined on 9/22/2014I definitely go back to this place. I'm so impressed. Food is delicious and the service was great. Highly recommended! !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost perfect!LRCRDined on 9/21/2014The only problem is the waiting! More than 30 minutes even making a reservation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinner success.Rockstar20Dined on 9/20/2014The ambience was superb, the presence of Buddha made our night.The food and service we're good and as price goes is reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 40 minutes delay before sittingSissiDined on 9/19/2014Too much noise and dark. We wait for more than 40 minutes although we had made reservationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place, good food and serviceSarvDined on 9/19/2014The food was great and the service was amazing. We were seated as soon as all in our party made it to the restaurant. Since it was early dinner the noise level was moderate. The best thing about Tao is the ambience, besides food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Nice VenueNazarioDined on 9/18/2014Good Food, Great Ambience and Awesome Design, we spend a Fantastic Night at Tao.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SeatingNotWorthTheMoneyDined on 9/18/2014My friend and I were placed so far in the back that the only thing we could see was a dark wall, scrunched in between other people so tightly that I could eat off their plates. I rather have been denied a reservation than not to be able to enjoy the full restaurant. Our waiter was rushing us, he wouldn't even let us finish a sentence and he was gone. He brought out the wrong meal and then told me that's what I ordered. I have worked in customer service long enough to know that is not the appropriate response to a paying customer.Special Features:
- Love TAOBunnyDined on 9/18/2014This is one of my fav spots in the city. Everything on the menu is spot on! Love the crispy orange chicken.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Favorite Restaurant in Midtown!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/20145 stars. Every time. Sushi is phenomenal, always fresh. Their dessert menu is amazing (try the giant fortune cookie!)Special Features:
- DisappointmentScotfoodieDined on 9/17/2014Birthday meal for my husband, booked three weeks in advance and had our hotel concierge to reconfirm the booking and when we arrived got a table in the corner of the room facing a wall. Food and cocktail was average for the price. Huge disappointment as there are missed opportunities to go to other restaurants in NYC who would've made the night memorable.Special Features:
- VibrantVandacsvmDined on 9/17/2014I recommend! Everything was great, the decor, the dinner.... Everything. It's like a club but in restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is always goodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/17/2014My first visit to Tao was a memorable one, and my husband has visited numerous times since and the restaurant has had it's good and not so good nights. We visited recently with my daughter and were so glad it turned out to be one of those great dinner nights! Our service was excellent and the food was wonderful! We had sushi rolls, dumplings, entree and fried rice- all was so yummy! The only down side was that although the music was good, it was somewhat loud and made it hard to converse while dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible service. OverpricedWisconsingurlDined on 9/17/2014Our waiter told us oriental food food was "going to be salty". We felt rushed and a bother to the staff. Tao midtown has lost its luster. Too big too fast. Will not be going back
- excelente ambienteViviDined on 9/16/2014Tivemos um excelente jantar! Ambiente agradável e muito típico com o enorme Buda que eles tem no restaurante e compõe a atmosfera do lugar. Recomendo a quem estiver em NY que vá ao TAO!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always late!apnycVIPDined on 9/16/2014It happens all the times: we get a reservation for a set time, we get there 5-10 minutes before and we get a table 45 minutes to 1 hour after our original reservation. This is totally unacceptable and it clearly means at TAO they do not care at all about their customers. Unbelievable.
- great lunchRicaDined on 9/16/2014The lunch menu, was great, awsome food, good service, not expensive, we were very happy about the choiseSpecial Features:
- WONDERFUL!ChrisDined on 9/15/2014TAO food and atmosphere was incredible!!!! Sushi was delish. Reasonably priced and service was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingLJG0902Dined on 9/15/2014This used to be a regular spot for us - it has certainly gone down hill. The service was non-existent and the food was below average. Go to Buddakan instead!Special Features:
- Good meeting placedhymanprDined on 9/15/2014The food is very good, especially the orange chicken and red snapper. I didn't care for the pork chow mein but it's not a deal breaker. The ambiance is awesome. The food service is fast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Oldie but a GoodieGeorgiaLVIPDined on 9/15/2014I first went to Tao Uptown in the early 2000s. It's a great place, very cool, with a fashion executive scene vs. super models. This is a power lunch and dinner spot. The food is delish and the service is great (although one of our entrees seemed to have been forgotten about, once it was cleared up, we were offered something gratis - which was very kind). An excellent experience overall.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/15/2014The waitress who served us is very rude. Removed our plates and brought the menu dessert without we asked ... threw us because we were not spending much and it would tip little... I will not recommend to anyone, on the contrary, I will criticize in the tripadivisor.Special Features:
- Food tasteOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014A lot of the food options are sweet which made it difficult to order. Would appreciate if we have the option to remove the sweet ingredient from the dish. Also, the sushi smelled. Usually I eat sushi and it doesn't smell.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodJuba77Dined on 9/14/2014Tao is a nice place and we had a wonderful dinner. The food was delicious and the service was spectacular.Special Features:
- OkErikDined on 9/14/2014The food was not bad at all, but nothing special either. These kind of dishes are found for haklf the price at many places and I would have wanted something special to give a higher rating. Service was without complaints and the decour is somethingspecial. I'm not sure if I like it but it's not standard at least...Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 9/14/2014Way too noisy in the evening, lunch was very pleasant. Everything deteriorates in the evening.
- Birthday DinnerCulinaryislifeDined on 9/13/2014Our server was great, the food could have been better. I loved the dessert and the candles!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FUN! But long waitWineanddineDined on 9/13/2014Made a reservation for 9:30pm, which was already on the later side for me, but it was the only time available. Got there at 9:20, and didn't get seated until 10:05pm. Very disappointing because at that point I was starving, but the food was to die for. The ambiance is awesome, super fun, loud, colorful. The buddha statue is really cool and great to look at. Our waiter was very attentive and helpful for choosing our dishes. Overall, despite the late seating, we had a great time.Special Features:
- AwesomenessLove2eatDined on 9/13/2014I took my husband here for his birthday and I must say it was a perfect choice seating was perfect food was excellent waitress was great! Expect to get your money's worth it's was a must do again for any special occasion the price is high but worth every penny thanks Tao you guys where great!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Each dish was delish!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014I ordered the Grilled Red Snapper with Steamed Bok Choy and Ginger, Kaffir Lime Vinaigrette... I was a little hesitant because I don't normally like Vinaigrettes but the waiter let me know that the lime was very subtle. The dish was very flavorful...my friends also enjoyed their dishes...the table consisted of Diver Sea Scallops with Red Curry and Thai Basil, Soy Ginger Glazed Salmon with Udon Noodles and Spinach, Kung Pao Chicken, and Vegetable Fried Brown Rice. All dishes were great!....trust me, I tried each!..We will definitely be returning!Special Features:
- Delicious DeliciouslhnycDined on 9/13/2014What a completely delicious experience we had at TAO Uptown. Service was superb. Everything on the menu sounded so good but we eventually made a choice...no regrets what so ever. The Pork potstickers are an absolute must. Portions are very generous. Restaurant is well priced. There were groups of young friends, families, sophisticated young couples - so suitable for everyone. I will recommend it to all friends visiting NYC. Wish I was not a 16 hour flight away...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.