42 East 58th Street
New York, NY 10022Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.taorestaurant.com/
- Phone: (212) 888-2288
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday – Sunday: 11:30am – 5:00pm; Dinner: Sunday – Wednesday: 5:00pm- 12:00am, Thursday – Saturday: 5:00pm – 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Pan-Asian, Asian
- Executive Chef: John Villa
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Enjoy TAO classics catered to the venue of your choice. Our off-premise catering services range from a small drop off and set up for 10 people, to an off-premise event for thousands. TAO signature dishes, including our famous Chilean Sea Bass, Kung Pao Chicken, Wasabi Crusted Filet Mignon, Coconut Shrimp, and our wide selection of Sushi, will be delivered right to your door. Use us for your next birthday celebration, office luncheon, family gathering, or Super Bowl party. Always a Happy Ending!
- Special Events: For all parties of 15 or more please inquire with our banquet department at 212-399-3097.
A word from Tao Uptown
A 16-foot Buddha, which floats above a reflecting pool filled with Japanese carp, presides over the scene at Tao. A favorite destination for celebrities and athletes, this Pan Asian restaurant specializes in authentic Hong Kong Chinese, Japanese and Thai cuisines. Tao has three levels of dining including the prized "Skybox" which offers views of this former movie theater unparalleled in New York. In addition to its 300 seats, Tao includes a sushi bar, lounge and two bars at which to enjoy the food and the show. Appetizers range from $8 - $18; Entrees: $16 -$39. Offering $27.50 Prix Fixe Lunch Menu year round.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAsian
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Tao Uptown - Best Restaurants in Midtown East ›
Tao Uptown reviews from OpenTable diners
823 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelEnergetic
hot spot (430)good for groups (412)special occasion (372)vibrant bar scene (311)fit for foodies (301)late-night find (215)romantic (183)great for lunch (119)neighborhood gem (90)scenic view (85)notable wine list (47)great for outdoor dining (43)kid-friendly (30)great for brunch (27)Show More
- Tao uptownOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/20/2014The place a bit too crowded and noisy, but the food is so great that i will go again despite the noise. The glazed bass dish was unforgettable. You have to try it there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious lunch!PazziDined on 11/19/2014Tao is my favorite place to bring out-of-town guests. They are always thrilled with the Buddha and wowed by the food. Small plates are the best way to enjoy the variety on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food doesn't live up to the decorOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/18/2014Tao has a beautiful Asian inspired setting, with towering ceilings, statues and fountains. The service was excellent and attentive. The food-- not so much. We ordered the hot and sour soups, followed by the $60 chef's omikase. The hot and sour soups weren't even comparable to your local chinese delivery place: uninspired, greasy and accompanied by incredibly salty shrimp toasts. The omikase was a JOKE-- we paid $60 for what was essentially a sushi deluxe platter that you could get at any sushi joint for $25 bucks. It included about 15 pieces of sushi and sashimi on a cutting board, all together-- just like a sushi deluxe platter. The fish was good but it was just the simple pieces of tuna, salmon and yellowtail pieces with rice, etc. No individual presentations, no sauces, no vinegars...nothing. Omikase is supposed to be a tasting menu experience, showcasing the chef's choice of interesting flavor combinations and presentation. This...i couldn't believe they rook people with this expensive failure of an experience. The chef should be ashamed of himself. My only conclusion: overpriced, pretty tourist trap.
- awesome!!Bunny517Dined on 11/15/2014One word #awesome well here is another one #delicious :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014Been here several times , the food and the servies is GREAT, The only thing that I have to complain about is the music level, you cant even talk to your friends at the same table .But If you just want to eat a great dinner without talking this is the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great timeCdipDined on 11/15/2014This was a great dining experience and i would defiantly come back anytimeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014I went to Tao for my birthday and had an unbelievable time. We had to wait about half an hour after our reservation but it was completely worth it. Expensive, but the food is undoubtedly worth the cost.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good VibesOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/15/2014This restaurant is upscale, clean, with great architecture and design. The staff are friendly and professional. The food was excellent, seasoned well and porportions just right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd time around...JaiLoDined on 11/15/2014This was our 2nd time having dinner at TAO Uptown...and it was just as great as the 1st time! Both times, we brought family members visiting from out of town...the atmosphere is great because the restaurant is loud enough that you can actually have conversations with people at your table and not have to worry about being loud and disrupting the table(s) next to you. Plus, we brought our 2 year old toddler, who likes to make loud noises himself...and it wasn't a distraction to the other patrons. The food is great here, too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Price doesn't fit experiencemel641Dined on 11/15/2014I wanted to experience this well known restaurant at least once, and I can say I did that. The food was very good though not very accommodating to special dietary needs. Seems like a high-end restaurant when you look at the food and prices but feels more like a chain with very little flexibility in the dishes and lower end service. The atmosphere was too noisy and the music seems more like a club instead of for dining. Our table of 6 was in a bad spot near the waiter station so the traffic was heavy and it seemed we could hear everyone passing more so than the people at our table. Over all, the experience was ok, but way too pricey.
- A Totally Fantastic MealJerryDined on 11/15/2014Went here right after seeing a show over on Broadway.... The food was fantastic and our server was a gem. Great place to go for dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BFitDined on 11/15/2014The decor is quite nice. High ceilings and visually appealing art create a nice ambiance. But you soon lose all that when you are shoved in between tables and the kitchen. Too many people are packed in like sardines on the first floor. It took 10 minutes at least for the two of us to get a drink. The drinks were very good. Our waiter needed to be flagged for everything. There was no checking in to see how we were doing on drinks etc. food was good. I would not recommend because of the seating and the service.Special Features:
- Special Find in the middle of NYCGenRDined on 11/15/2014Tao is one of those unique venues, where you would want to take visitors or visit with friends or fsmily for a special experience. The grand and imposing Buddha dominates the main dining room with live koi swimming at its base. The restaurant can seem cavernous with its many levels and rooms, (must descend a double flight of stairs for the rest rooms), but the service is warm and inviting. And, the food, for a place that could be perceived as a tourist mecca, is surprisingly good and subtely prepared. Their prix fix lunch offers a three-course meal with a varied selection from which to choose. All were delicious and while portion sizes are not overdone, the medley of flavors is rich and satisfying.Special Features:
- Still GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/14/2014Food still great as ever. It is dark in there though. Fun for a lively lunch. Lunch special delicious and well worth it. Great price for lunch and dessert. good fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodJSNJVIPDined on 11/12/2014Excellent food, great decor, fantastic cocktails and most importantly great service. I have been to both the downtown and uptown Tao, the uptown is by far the best at every aspect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/11/2014the two ladies at the entrance were very rude. I ordered a table at 7:45 and got there on time. they didn't allow me to seat in the table until the full party will arrive. they got there at 8pm and they had us waiting until 8:40, with no appology or attention. only when I got back to them and faced them with the fact that I'm seatting there for almost an hour, they gave us a table. regardless to the good food, the evening was already spoilt.
- coolest locationMikeSchlerDined on 11/11/2014not for the first time, but always a fantastic experience. awesome food, service and locationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food & loved the fishOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/9/2014Was there for the NY celebration 2014, was a pleasure to visit again. Regards from ArubaSpecial Features:
- Love it!EstebanDined on 11/9/2014Super good!! Don't miss the tuna tartar! The duck fried rice and orange chicken highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will go back!bestofallDined on 11/8/2014I took my wife to Tao for a romantic birthday dinner and she loved it. The food, ambiance & the wine was great. Our reservation was for 11pm and we were seated at 11:02, punctual and that is a plus. The only downfall was that the waiter could've been a little friendlier but overall our experience was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, very closed tablesKAVIDined on 11/8/2014Food is excellent, I booked a table for two and the tables were very very closed to each other. No privacy and no chance to move.Special Features:
- Excellent Asian infusionluvNYCdiningDined on 11/8/2014Will not disappoint if you love classic asian dishes or trendy fun cocktails! The sushi is fantastic and the sea bass satay was the best fish appetizer we've ever had. Great server, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tnb2014Dined on 11/8/2014Great food! the drink are amazing. We waited a little longer than expected to be seated, service was ok. The ambiance was great and the music was upbeat. I would come againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the Best !sheplawDined on 11/8/2014This was one of the best restaurants that I have been to in my life... and definitely the best Asian restaurant. Gorgeous, trendy interior. And the food ! Oh my gosh ! It was superb. Energetic atmosphere. High quality.Special Features:
- WaitNotWorthTheMoneyDined on 11/7/2014An hour wait with reservations, for a birthday party. There were girls practically fainting. They didn't even allow me to speak with a manager. Very disappointed in the quality of service and food.Special Features:
- Waiting to long for table ResOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014My Reservation was at 9:30 They made us wait more than an hour so we ended up eating at 11:00 , Terrible also there was a lady in launch area with a one year old baby she was drinking with baby on her lab I don't understand how was happeningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/7/2014Food was amazing! Service was outstanding- night was perfect. Loved the SHrimp XO ! And the cocktails were great although- the Taotini- in Vegas is a different recipe- which I like much better. But Dragon cockatial was great as well! Had a nice time would return.Special Features:
- Really fresh food!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/7/2014I have eaten at several Asian restaurants over the years and what impressed me the most about Tao was how fresh the food tasted. We had the shrimp pad Thai and the shrimp was excellent! My friend and I were so appreciative of the fact that the shrimp was not in the shell which made it more enjoyable to gobble up! And the portions were very good size. Two entries would feed three people. Appetizers had great portions as well. Very lively scene, with cool music, too. You really felt like you were out on the town at a hot spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- eat your meal looking at BuddhaSvetlanaDined on 11/7/2014Tao is always a sure spot to have a great meal with friends. It is energetic and happening.Special Features:
- Favorite restaurant in NYC!norwegianstudentDined on 11/6/2014Tao Uptown is my favorite restaurant in NYC! I always bring my family and friend to Tao when they visit me and we have never been disappointed. We had to wait 30 minutes even though we had a reservation, but we just waited in the bar, I didn't mind as the drinks are great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Credit Card- no attempt to contact me.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/6/2014It was a great time. Only issue I had was that I left my credit card with my bill. There was no attempt on Tao's part to contact me about this even though it was a corporate card with my firm name on it, I booked through open table (with email). I only realized this error 2 weeks later and they of course still had my card. I thought given the quality of the restaurant, price point, etc. that they would make some attempt to reach out to me. There were 5 hosts standing around when I finally got back to pick it up so it doesn't look like there is a lack of staffing to have one of them attempt to contact their customers.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambiance great food!lrivera13Dined on 11/5/2014Tao is a really fun restaurant. It has a wonderful vibe and great food. If you go to Tao you are going for the overall experience. I think it can be a tad expensive but really not expensive comparatively to all the other NYC restaurants. It' noisy of course but that's NYC! Great time and I would definitively go again!Special Features:
- BigBuddhaDined on 11/5/2014Great for a girls night out and for corporate teams!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glitzy, but food just ok.OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/5/2014The food was not inspiring. Execution of fairly classical dishes was mediocre. The more "original" dishes were not very original or unique. Specialty drinks were ok, but not much "wow" factor. And, the noise level was high enough to significantly limit conversations.
- Nothing Zen about ItPopsDined on 11/5/2014The most exciting part of dining at Tao was an outstanding waiter, brimming with menu knowledge and recommendations. That's where it ends. Seasonal dumplings of pumpkin drizzled with a cranberry-soy sauce glaze - FABULOUS but little else was unique or different. The dessert - chocolate fondant with coconut ice cream - while delicious and well-made, was served in a clumsy and outdated manner. The ambiance relies on a giant Buddha presiding over diners combined with faux bamboo. Restaurant entrance is also underwhelming and crying out for refurbishment. Noise levels are tolerable. As food was good not outstanding and ambiance lacking, I won't be rushing back.Special Features:
- Gdefes1234Dined on 11/5/2014we had a very bad experience - we were in a rush and while we got the appetizers quite quickly, it took the main dishes 1 hour to arrive. we had to leave, so we just left without eating the food. the restaurant appologized and took care of the bill, but it was an awful experience for all of us and we will never go back there.
- Asian with a differenceTerripDined on 11/4/2014From when you all in you are transported to a dark but aptly Asian/Buddha influenced decor & it's all good from herein. Wide selection of meals, great for sharing or alone - and decent servings. Really enjoyed our meals here & would definitely go back when in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing but fairly good foodLiburmanDined on 11/3/2014Disappointed to be seated a full half an hour after our reservation which was very frustrating. If you are going here the reservation time is not actually indicative of the time you will be seated. Food was good but not outstanding. Doesn't really live up to the hype. We went to a couple of other really nice lower key places that were leagues above this place.Special Features:
- Always terrificDwagsVIPDined on 11/3/2014This is my second time in one week. We have enjoyed each time very much. The food is delicious, the service was very attentive eventhough the place is huge! It is a bit noisy but it has a great vibe so you don't mind. We will be back!,,Special Features:
- nightlifeOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/3/2014Great Food. Nice ambient at night. Great for dinner and then some drinksSpecial Features: