92 Ninth Ave
New York, NY 10011Neighborhood:
Pan-AsianPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.taodowntown.com/
- Phone: (212) 888-2724
- Hours of Operation:
Sun - Wed; 5:00pm - 1:00am
Thu - Sat; 5:00pm - 2:00am
Last dinner reservations at 12:45am (Sun - Wed) and 1:45am (Thu - Sat).
Restaurant Bar remains open at least one hour after the kitchen closes.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Pan-Asian
- Executive Chef: Ralph Scamardella / Yoshi Kojima
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: LIVE DJ Nightly beginning at 8:00pm.
- Special Events: Please contact our Special Events Sales Dept for parties of 15 people or more.
- Cross Street: at 16th Street; Entrance is on 9th Avenue
- Public Transit: E train stop at 14th Street at 8th Avenue; please exit towards 16th Street on the NW corner. F train stop at 14th Street at 6th Avenue; please exit towards 16th Street on NW corner and walk west on 16th Street, then make a right on 9th Avenue.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Parking Garage is located on 16th Street between 8th & 9th Avenue across the street from Dream Downtown Hotel. Please be advised that we do not validate parking.
Please read street signs carefully for street parking.
A word from Tao Downtown
TAO Group, the pioneers of the Pan-Asian trend that swept New York City over a decade ago, unveils the evolution of the TAO brand with the opening of TAO Downtown. TAO Group will mark the next iteration of the brand, taking over the spaces formerly home to Hiro Ballroom and Matsuri located beneath the Maritime Hotel and will seat up to 400 throughout the restaurant, with approximately 300 seats in the main dining room alone.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Tao Downtown - Best Restaurants in Chelsea ›
Tao Downtown reviews from OpenTable diners
365 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelEnergetic
hot spot (265)good for groups (222)special occasion (194)vibrant bar scene (185)fit for foodies (139)late-night find (104)romantic (95)neighborhood gem (47)scenic view (46)notable wine list (22)great for outdoor dining (12)great for lunch (10)kid-friendly (7)great for brunch (6)Show More
- Excellent Place to Celebrate With FriendsOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/20/2014Tao Downtown is beautiful, energetic and despite it's grandiose size, the service is excellent. The food is fresh and creative and you don't have to wait too long for any dish. They also have IPhone 5 portable chargers for those of you who have dead phones upon arrival. The restaurant has such great energy and it is good for all age groups.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner, great service, beautiful spaceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/19/2014Took my wife here for her birthday on a Wednesday night. The place was lively and full. It was our first time visiting and we were not disappointed. The decor is amazing and most everyone is dressed to impress. Food was outstanding and well priced considering how nice the restaurant is and its location in meat packing. Made our reservation through open table and included a special request to have a birthday candle with our dessert or other similar gesture to commemorate the occasion. Sure enough, when we ordered dessert, there was a lit birthday candle and a Happy Birthday engraved cookie included. The waiter offered to sing as well! Couldn't have capped our night any better. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Are they full of themselves or what?OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/18/2014We had a reservation made but still were sent to wait at the bar for 40 minutes. Food was average. Even the Adamame were overcooked. When I mentioned it to the waiter he warned me that if he takes it back " he does not know" how long it will take to get another serving because "he cannot rush the chef"... Rest of the food was not more than an average dinner in China Town. The place is beautiful, very vibrant and probably the right place to be seen at, but let's be honest - the food is way too expensive and not that good. Last thing - it was very noisy..Special Features:
- Tao DowntownOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/16/2014Great atmosphere, pleasant staff, good vibes and amazing interior design. My friends, that had not been there before loved it as much as me! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had to wait over 1.5hrs for our pre-booked table!GirlniteoutDined on 11/15/2014A big disappointment having had many a memorable night in Tao uptown. The look and feel of the new Tao is amazing - complete wow factor - but we will not be going back! Staff were stressed out. There was no where to site when we had to waiting over an hour &half for our dinner reservation. We were literally being trampled on and all the bars unoccupied tables had 'reserved' on. When we finally got called for our table the waiter was also distance and clearly had enough for one night. food was great though as expected.Special Features:
- We had to wait 1hour to be seated with reservationPattycake10Dined on 11/15/2014What's the purpose of dinner reservations if you're waiting an hour to sit down. On top of that there was not a seat to sit down. It was full of empty tables reserved. For this reason alone I would not come again or recommend it to anyone. Shame because food was really good.Special Features:
- The food and ambiance is EVERYTHING!BirthdayGirlDined on 11/15/2014I eat here pretty often and everytime is like the first time. The food is remarkable! We had sashimi that was to die for as well as the Mongolian beef and this chicken with pineapples. It was all perfect! The food and the atmosphere are always great when I go but the service is sometimes off. On this particular occasion I had a reservation and they refused to add one extra person to my table so we ended up eating in the lounge, which is not exactly where you want to eat on a Saturday night because it's always packed. Nevertheless we made the best of it and the food was great so it wasn't a complete waste!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 11/15/2014I had been to Tao Uptown before which was great, but this was my first time at Tao Downtown. It's neat how it sort of mirrors town Uptown with many seats in Tao Uptown being above the main section and in Tao Downtown it feels like you are below the main section. Our service was excellent and the food was amazing. I would recommend just getting a bunch of stuff and sharing as the plates are fairly big. The rock shrimp lettuce cups were plentiful and the crispy pork was easily enough for two people, especially combined with a side dish. We had 2 appetizers, the 5 spice Chinese ribs and the crispy pork and it was more than enough. Also, the mochi dessert was really cool. I would highly recommend this restaurant. I even got lucky as it was sold out, but I looked on open table the day of and there must have been several cancellations as I was able to reserve a table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For Tao, Opentable not worth anything.RutalVIPDined on 11/14/2014Food was wonderful, absolutely beautiful place, very efficient service of restaurant and the correct music. But the hostess are very poorly trained and inattentive, I booked for 10:00 pm and only gave me after 11:00 and there was not the worst place to wait at the bar and have a drink. For Tao, Opentable not worth anything, incredulous as I watched people coming in without reservations and were immediately accommodated, not only walked away because it was too cold to ...
- Great restaurantJewelsDined on 11/14/2014Perfect for special occasions or just a nice dining experience. Food is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food sucky service...FastidiousFoodie1Dined on 11/12/2014The atmosphere is wonderful and very lively and honestly the restaurant is beautiful. I think you feel "lifted" the moment yo walk in. My first time ever going was for my birthday and just like then the food was great but the service was subpar. Our server Luam was distant, irritated, and kind of short with us but we tried not to let that ruin dinner. In between our starters and main courses the fire alarm went off and all the lights came on and no one, not even our server came to check on us or ask us if we were still having a pleasurable dining experience. The week before we ate at Nobu in Tribeca which doesn't at all have the atmosphere of Tao but the food and the service was remarkable. If in the near future I'm choosing between high priced asian fare I'll definitely choose Nobu or Buddakhan over Tao.
- VrozDined on 11/10/2014A little bit too loud. Very good. Beautiful restaurantSpecial Features:
- Didn't meet high expectations...TheobserverDined on 11/9/2014Very nice sceen, didn't manage to meet high expectations on the food though.Special Features:
- Overall Awesome ExperienceBTrottaVIPDined on 11/8/2014Five spice Short Ribs (Excellent) - Spice Yellowtail Roll (Good) - Peking Duck (Good) - Yellowtail Jalapeno Shashimi (Good) - Shrimp Lettuce Wraps (Very Good) Huge Place - Stadium Seating Setup - Very Talented - Typical expensive drinks for the scene - In Maritime Hotel - Get seating on the main floorSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had an amazing nightLuvtosmileDined on 11/8/2014Amazing food. Amazing atmosphere. A night to remember!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun resto, but unimpressive food for the priceNeverEndingStoryDined on 11/7/2014I went to Tao on a Friday night with my hubby, the kids, grandma and grandma's friend. It was my second visit. I enjoyed the food less this time. I think it was a combination of my allowing others to order for me, so they weren't my first choice dishes, and the not-so-stellar offerings. Frankly at the prices they charge this shouldn't be an issue. Plus, my mom and Susan ordered and they weren't blown away by what they thought would be tasty. The kids, who love love LOVE Asian food (and Buddakan especially) didn't eat much at all. On a positive note, the service was great both times. They were even tolerant of our being late on a busy Friday night. And being tucked into a table along the steps was ideal for letting the kids get a little loose. If invited to go again I definitely wouldn't complain, but I'd tread carefully through the menu.Special Features:
- Excellent ExperienceBrunaDined on 11/6/2014Excellent experience. Place is amazing, food and service are very good too. High end spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceFantasticDined on 11/4/2014I have a client in the neighborhood that I have called on for years and I never knew this place was here. It was awesome....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eat well before you visit TAOZviDonatVIPDined on 11/3/2014This is the perfect example of very good marketing, TAO is a club, but in no way a restaurant, food quality very poor, a low level Japanese/Chinese restaurant will be much better, shame on the management, how can you call yourself a restaurant? take 1 kg of Sugar add grade 2 shrimp and serve, patay nodals over cooked, and the big surprize.. how one can spoil edamame, well TAO kitchin managed to do that! so I will never visit TAOSpecial Features:
- Fun&tastySilvDined on 11/2/2014Had a great time even waiting fro our table, at the bar,well prepared drinks, spacious and comfortable bar area makes you forget your're actually waiting. The restaurant area has a good scenic ambiance, great service and tasty dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/2/2014Hip, hot and trendy restaurant. Delicious food and great atmosphere in an outstanding decor. Good people watching.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expect to waitTexaNYCVIPDined on 11/1/201435 minute wait for a table EVEN FOR AN 11PM RESERVATION! I find this unacceptable for such a late reservation. The dismissive attitude of the host was made up for by the fantastic waitress who helped narrow our choices with the overwhelming menu. Once seated away from all the B&T bar-goers, the evening was fantastic and delicious food. Desserts- fair.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Atmosphere!!PeterSVIPDined on 11/1/2014The atmosphere and the food is very good. It is a big place we took a freiend there for his birthday.Special Features:
- DisappointedNomsVIPDined on 10/29/2014The past times I've been it's always been great. However, this time we waited 20 minutes after we were seated to get a waiter and our chicken was so overcooked it was hard and had to be sent back. Additionally majority of our food was cold.Special Features:
- Unpleasant dinnerStephaneDined on 10/29/2014Food and design are wonderful. But it is one of this place where receptionists and managers are pretentious, unpleasant and looks bored and annoyed to have customers ; And they think, it is "cool" to act like this. Because, you know, they have so many customers, they don't care about your pathetic existence. They are also incompetent as we booked for 8:30pm (a regular Wednesday) and came on time. But we had to wait 50 minutes in the overcrowded bar. We don't get any apologize as they probably thought we should already be happy they let us get in. Finally it was very loud and was hard to talk. I went twice to this restaurant and to be honest, the first time was by far more pleasant. It was more friendly, on time, and we were able to talk.Special Features:
- Love It!oyinDined on 10/29/2014I've always loved Tao!!! Sitting in the general dining area 2 years ago and sitting in the lounge area are equally amazing! The both offer equally great service and Tao as a whole has an amazing ambiance!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday mealVisitorNYDined on 10/28/2014Excellent experience with top quality food. Service was cold and didn't appreciate the fact that the bill (check) came with recommended tips being circled especially considering we were short changed by 10 dollars in change.this however did not take away much from the quality of food and the general experience. Very pricy but quality did reflect price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BirthdayJay890Dined on 10/28/2014The location was absolutely beautiful and it was my first time there. Much pricier than anticipated, but I enjoyed the environment and interesting crowd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always stop by!IrinaDined on 10/28/2014Great place food and ambiance! Long wait though...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/28/2014Yummy.Great service...Beautiful ambience ! Food deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good vibeBrealDined on 10/27/2014Great date spot- good at atmosphere. Honored my reservation which I appreciated because it is usually extremely difficult to get a table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!KikiKittyDined on 10/26/2014I took my boyfriend to dinner for his birthday. Everything was absolutely perfect. I'd like to give a special thanks to Tim. Outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014The noise was overwhelming but the service made up for any short comings. The food was tasty drinks were delicious.Special Features:
- Total disappointmentRileyDined on 10/25/2014I thought the food was awful and it's purely for tourists. Could not get a decent glass of wine and service too fast.Special Features:
- Loved everything about this place!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/24/2014Ambiance was pumping, food was amazing!! A definite recommend.. Had to wait 35 past my reservation but well worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CmgsDined on 10/24/2014The ambience and food is great! But we ha to wait for one hour to get our table even though we had a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cnewbDined on 10/24/2014My friends came intown to visit me last weekend so I wanted to take them to a "trendy" place. I chose TAO and we had a great time!! The food was delicious and so were the cocktails! I will definently be going back! The only thing I will say is that it is super loud in there so at a big table we had a hard time hearing everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, and hot spot in townEreynihcDined on 10/24/2014Book your reservation well in advance (weeks in advance) if you're looking for dinner. We booked 7 days in advance and was only offered 5:30 or 11:30 for a Friday night. So that should tell you, it's a local hotspot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/23/2014Only complain was that we waited 1 hour for table. The bar was so packed we couldn't even get a drink while we waitedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and good food/drinksFoodieforlifeDined on 10/23/2014Took my boyfriend here for his birthday and absolutely loved it. Service was great and if you like being surrounded by beautiful people then you've come to the right place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.