92 Ninth Ave
New York, NY 10011Neighborhood:
Pan-AsianPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.taodowntown.com/
- Phone: 2128882724x
- Hours of Operation:
Sun - Wed; 5:00pm - 1:00am
Thu - Sat; 5:00pm - 2:00am
Last dinner reservations at 12:45am (Sun - Wed) and 1:45am (Thu - Sat).
Restaurant Bar remains open at least one hour after the kitchen closes.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Pan-Asian
- Executive Chef: Ralph Scamardella / Yoshi Kojima
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: LIVE DJ Nightly beginning at 8:00pm.
- Special Events: Please contact our Special Events Sales Dept for parties of 15 people or more.
- Cross Street: at 16th Street; Entrance is on 9th Avenue
- Public Transit: E train stop at 14th Street at 8th Avenue; please exit towards 16th Street on the NW corner. F train stop at 14th Street at 6th Avenue; please exit towards 16th Street on NW corner and walk west on 16th Street, then make a right on 9th Avenue.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Parking Garage is located on 16th Street between 8th & 9th Avenue across the street from Dream Downtown Hotel. Please be advised that we do not validate parking.
Please read street signs carefully for street parking.
A word from Tao Downtown
TAO Group, the pioneers of the Pan-Asian trend that swept New York City over a decade ago, unveils the evolution of the TAO brand with the opening of TAO Downtown. TAO Group will mark the next iteration of the brand, taking over the spaces formerly home to Hiro Ballroom and Matsuri located beneath the Maritime Hotel and will seat up to 400 throughout the restaurant, with approximately 300 seats in the main dining room alone.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Tao Downtown - Best Restaurants in Chelsea ›
Tao Downtown reviews from OpenTable diners
311 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelEnergetic
hot spot (221)special occasion (189)good for groups (174)vibrant bar scene (165)fit for foodies (99)romantic (89)late-night find (81)neighborhood gem (34)scenic view (32)notable wine list (19)great for lunch (11)kid-friendly (9)great for outdoor dining (6)great for brunch (5)Show More
- Good overallHKangDined on 8/27/2014Good food, service and the ambiance! The only negative was that it was soooooo noisy! We sat next to three ladies that talked that 1000 decibel. My ears hurt when they laughed.... Anyway, recommend the food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice placeFooderVIPDined on 8/27/2014Food is good but far from outstanding. However, this is the kind of place people go for the ambiance and to see and be seen. Beautiful setting.Special Features:
- YumGucciGirlDined on 8/27/2014Went there the other with a few girlfriends and had a really nice time. The food and drinks were great. The waiter was very attentive and didn't rush you. I also should add I liked Tao downtown much better than Tao midtown. Midtown became too much of a tourist attraction.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tao is a wowRheaDined on 8/26/2014The interior is majestic..eye appealing..we were celebrating our daughters' birthday..upon our arrival, we were seated right smack center..Tao statue right above us..spectacular..our server was personable,knowledgeable ..The wine list is extensive..the mix drinks as well. The menu has all sorts of delightful,flavorful choices..Each dish we ordered was delicious( really didn't want to share!)..we had several sushi dishes,a branzino( cooked to perfection)...we ordered the fortune cookie( and what a cookie it was!)..it arrived with a candle,surrounded by fruit..we dove into it. We had a great time and can't wait to return. Note worthy..Tao is smack in the center of several notable places ...Highline,Chelsa market....Special Features:
- still trendyanneVIPDined on 8/25/2014The uptown Tao is now filled with tourists and I never go unless a friend is in town and wants to. It was great to see how fun the new Tao is. Food is good but naturally over priced which I expected. Service was great, very attentive. And the bar is a great hot spot with good people watching.Special Features:
- Drinks at Tao - DO IT!!NycdineguyDined on 8/25/2014Awesome location, I've been to the Tao uptown several times and really wanted to see this location. It seems slightly smaller than the one uptown but was still gorgeous nonetheless. The service was impeccable as usual, but the real surprise was almost a completely different menu. It was a pleasant surprise. The drinks are amazing, pricey but on-par with any NYC hotspot. Overall I strongly recommend, great date spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect place to dine!AndersDined on 8/24/2014Great food. Great staff. Amazing restaurant! We went to celebrate a special occasion and was not let down. We eat an awesome starter, and the main course was also amazing. The staff is very good at making recommendations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- On topNenneDined on 8/23/2014Excellent ambiance but better Food that fulfill your expectations. Shortly Said; Greate!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodLeeronDined on 8/20/2014Try the cod!! Very nice atmosphere. Order the chef sampler for apps.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/19/2014Amazing restaurant! The best one i've been in NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over ratedOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/16/2014As my husband called it PF Changs on steroids. We were rushed...my son was still eating and they brought the dessert menu. You are paying for atmosphere, and that's it!
- OK food, service lackingMurrayDined on 8/16/2014Great energetic atmosphere but quite loud and can be difficult to hear across some of the tables. Our food was only so-so and the service was pretty slow and somewhat erratic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EspectaculAr!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014First time at Tao Downtown and now is one of our top places to go when we visit NY! The food espectacular, the service perfect and the ambiance was like nothing we had seen before!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebration Dinner!!RGC62Dined on 8/15/2014What a place, it is so different looking. We were there for a birthday celebration, the drinks were great. The spicy tuna over crispy rice, salmon tartar apps were so good. We also ordered rolls, these were ok- nothing super special but tasted good. For dinner the salmon was great as was the duck fried rice. I expected a small portion of each and was surprised. Dessert - you must have the giant fortune cookie - with chocolate and vanilla mousse. All was great: the service, the food, the atmosphere- a perfect night. This is not the place for a relaxing drawn out dinner - each course is delivered boom, boom - they want you to eat and drink and then they turn the table over. Will def go back to try what we didnt get to try this evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TAO... a Downtown SceneOnlytheFinestDined on 8/14/2014TAO Downtown adds to Meatpacking high city energy. A scene where all the beautiful People gather. Beautiful decor. Food is an art. Alive and worth the wait for your tableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great night at Taocaroline89Dined on 8/12/2014I was very exited to try the downtown location, and Tao never disappoints, so I knew this was going to be good. The decor is gorgeous, the staff was very pleasant and it just has a great vibe. Yes, the music is loud and there is a lot of people there, but that is fine by me, and that's part of the reason why I like Tao so much. Food was great, but I was slighy disappointed that they didn't have my favorite dishes from the uptown restaurant. But still, great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good!TatyanaDined on 8/12/2014Very good place. Amazing interior. Good service. Delicious food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Coolest Hot SpotGot2bthereDined on 8/12/2014It was the ambiance that hit the spot. The wine list was outstanding. Loved the mango chilli martini ! Food & service was excellent which is a rarity these days. Overall a delightful dining experience. Would recommend to friends and go back for sure .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous as AlwaysVallegalDined on 8/10/2014Although a NYC hotspot, still welcoming to kids. Stellar food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is consistently goodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/9/2014Great vibe, loud, food is consistent, a little higher price but worth it!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!Dee2014Dined on 8/9/2014I was there Saturday night for a girls night out with friends. The food was delicious, waitress and busboy very attentive, music was awesome...we had a great time! Drinks were great too - nice variety and they have sake flights. Awesome! I would definitely go back, reservations are a must especially Saturday night. Place was packed!Special Features:
- NOT WORTH THE WAITBradDined on 8/6/2014Had reservations for 10:00 PM - which you would think would be safe. We did not get to our table until 11:15 PM after complaining three times. Noisy, expensive and food was average.
- Amazing as always.20somethingDined on 8/5/2014As an avid foodie and Tao Group lover, I was thrilled to FINALLY make it to Tao Downtown. I brought my mom and grandma for my birthday, as they had never been, and I thought a Tuesday 8pm reservation would give them to perfect taste of my favorite spot. The food was perfect as always, the space is spectacular, absolutely breathtaking, and our service was top notch. I couldn't find a single complaint if I wanted to. See you again very, very soon.Special Features:
- Tao DowntownJLindDined on 8/5/2014Having been to the Tao Uptown some years ago, and been happy with it at the time, I was looking forward to a trip to the trendier downtown venue. Sadly, this visit didn't live up to the expectation. Good-looking table staff push food like their lives depend on it, so be prepared to stand your ground if you only want to order a normal amount of anything. The food arrives alarmingly quickly. Too quickly to be prepared to order. Dim sum looked nice but were thoroughly ordinary, my drunken pad thai was waterlogged with overcooked lobster while my guest's chicken was lukewarm and pink near the bone. It was later brought back up while trying to walk the Highline. This place is the antithesis of asian cooking - all style, no substance.Special Features:
- Great dining place for couplesKDR28Dined on 8/4/2014Loved the food. Rock Shrimp Cup is must try here. Great place for special occasion.Special Features:
- LOVE THIS PLACEMissDined on 8/3/2014The ambiance was amazing and my waiter was SUPER helpful.Special Features:
- foodfanVIPDined on 8/3/2014Food, service and ambiance was great! Menu was extensive and we chose many house favorites and was not disappointed!Special Features:
- Amazing venueJodaDined on 8/1/2014Coolest restaurant I've ever been to! Great ambiance and vibe? Amazing interior design. Would go there again everyday.Special Features:
- Hot spotMichDined on 8/1/2014Great place for dinner and drinks for a special occasionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- did not disappointOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/30/2014As expected the experience was right at expectations. Food was real good bordering on great. Service was very good too. We had to wait a half hour which truthfully was not unexpected and the added time in the bar was likely worth it. Of course that increased the bill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okCarsnfoodformeDined on 7/30/2014Food was lacking in overall flavor and our pot sticker appetizer was cold and had to sent back - returned in a few minutes but lucky if it was over 90 degrees. Pad Thai was lacking in flavor.Special Features:
- Always a Great Night!YumsDined on 7/29/2014Erica & Welcome hostesses, Francesca, etc. were very sweet. I've been to both sites and Always positive experience. This night at TAO Downtown, the waiter, Marcus, was full of energy, did not come over to offer a drink for 15 minutes after we were seated; and then when he finally came over, he gave an excuse that he thought we wanted to talk..... He could have not judged that for himself as we wanted drinks and had to wait too long for him. Offering a drink and letting us decide on the pace would have been a better way to let us control the pacing of our evening. This need for him to control, spilled over to the menu as well. While we appreciated his enthusiasm, and he was kind, Marcus offered too Altogether another lovely evening. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for touristsDeanVIPDined on 7/28/2014We had a 9.15pm reservation on a Monday night & were still only given the table at 9.45pm. Having six people in our party, we were given a booth that could only fit five. Upon complaining the usher told us that 6 people usually squeeze in the booth. I asked for a manager who argued with me that people prefer the booth. I then told him that what was happening was ridiculous & I would be needing another table to sit comfortably. I also told him about the past bad experiences I had at Tao Downtown& I would not have come back if it weren't for my friends visiting from out of town. We still had to wait another 15 minutes for the table. The last time we visited this restaurant, we had a 10pm reservation & were only seated at 11.30pm. NO MORE TAOSpecial Features:
- Great ServiceKarenBDined on 7/27/2014The food was only so-so...cold without any real flavor. The ambiance though was worth every penny. Just stunning definitely a destination restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Only in New YorkCitymom239VIPDined on 7/26/2014My husband and I were visiting from SF. We don't have restaurants like this. Absolutely cavernous. And styled to the hilt, felt like a movie set. Just a really fun, big city place to go. The food was very good, and the service amazing fast and responsive given the number of customers they had to serve.Special Features:
- ExcellentRadhaHDined on 7/25/2014Great spot, delicious food and drinks. The service was also great. Good for bday dinner or a evening dateSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not for a couplePaty10Dined on 7/24/2014definitely not for a couple. We had a reservation for 1045 pm and we sat for dinner at 12am. Its more like a place to see and be seeing , not for a dinner or romantic date. Food is good, but the place is extremely loud and noisy.Special Features:
- Excellent vibe and food!CubanHarryDined on 7/24/2014This place is awesome. The food is excellent and the vibe is out of this world. Adam (the Manager) and Karen up front do a wonderful job of making you feel welcome. Have the Black Cod.......it's outstanding!Special Features:
- ExcellentNinoDined on 7/24/2014Everything in this restaurant is class A recommend to any oneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingFoodieDined on 7/22/2014My birthday dinner at Tao was amazing . The food was served quickly it was delicious and I was in rushed .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.