92 Ninth Ave
New York, NY 10011Neighborhood:
Pan-AsianPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.taodowntown.com/
- Phone: 2128882724x
- Hours of Operation:
Sun - Wed; 5:00pm - 1:00am
Thu - Sat; 5:00pm - 2:00am
Last dinner reservations at 12:45am (Sun - Wed) and 1:45am (Thu - Sat).
Restaurant Bar remains open at least one hour after the kitchen closes.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Pan-Asian
- Executive Chef: Ralph Scamardella / Yoshi Kojima
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: LIVE DJ Nightly beginning at 8:00pm.
- Special Events: Please contact our Special Events Sales Dept for parties of 15 people or more.
- Cross Street: at 16th Street; Entrance is on 9th Avenue
- Public Transit: E train stop at 14th Street at 8th Avenue; please exit towards 16th Street on the NW corner. F train stop at 14th Street at 6th Avenue; please exit towards 16th Street on NW corner and walk west on 16th Street, then make a right on 9th Avenue.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Parking Garage is located on 16th Street between 8th & 9th Avenue across the street from Dream Downtown Hotel. Please be advised that we do not validate parking.
Please read street signs carefully for street parking.
A word from Tao Downtown
TAO Group, the pioneers of the Pan-Asian trend that swept New York City over a decade ago, unveils the evolution of the TAO brand with the opening of TAO Downtown. TAO Group will mark the next iteration of the brand, taking over the spaces formerly home to Hiro Ballroom and Matsuri located beneath the Maritime Hotel and will seat up to 400 throughout the restaurant, with approximately 300 seats in the main dining room alone.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Tao Downtown - Best Restaurants in Chelsea ›
Tao Downtown reviews from OpenTable diners
322 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelEnergetic
hot spot (227)special occasion (193)good for groups (182)vibrant bar scene (163)fit for foodies (115)romantic (88)late-night find (86)neighborhood gem (36)scenic view (34)notable wine list (19)great for lunch (13)kid-friendly (12)great for outdoor dining (7)great for brunch (6)Show More
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/17/2014We go at Tao Downtown for my Wife Birthday and we have a waiter who take care of us, he was just awesome, very nice, funny, friendly. The food was great and fresh. Lot of business people there in a week starting 6pm and after 7pm the restaurant was full, I can't believe this because the size of the restaurant, it's like movie theater! Very NiceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- maravilhosoOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/15/2014I went to TAO to celebreat my birthday. Everything was perfect. Food, specially sushis, the waiter Will was friendly. I recommend. I am sure I will came back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice atmosphere, overpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/15/2014They kept us waiting nearly an hour despite having a reservation. We didn't ask but they didn't offer to comp a drink at the bar or anywhere else. That tagged a couple of extra hundred bucks on the bill as we were at the bar waiting for over an hour. Wonder if it's a strategy of theirs. Annoying. Pluses are that these guys have their marketing down. They are all over you pushing food (which is decent) and drinks and the atmosphere is nice and partyish. Typical to be expected of a corporate owned dining group Lavo, Tao etc.Special Features:
- A waste of moneyDisappointed25Dined on 9/14/2014Over rated. To put it simply, for $250 you get a dinner worth $75. The sushi was cut small. Just not worth the hype.Special Features:
- Favorite resturantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/13/2014By far favorite food and most elegant resturant in NYCSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing ExperiencenewtoDISHDined on 9/12/2014We took a big group of out-of-town family here and our experience was top-notch. From the service, to the food, to the great table location in front of the Buddha, our time at Tao Downtown was outstanding. Loved every minute of it.Special Features:
- Horrible service from hostessSampaioDined on 9/9/2014We had a reservation for 8pm. Arrived at 7:50 and were escorted to bar. Finally at 9:20 they sat us, informing that an event would take place and they needed the table by 10pm. Completely unacceptable. No respect to consumer whatsoever.Special Features:
- Must go!TampaMDDined on 9/8/2014Amazing. I will be sure to visit every time I'm in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceThomasVIPDined on 9/7/2014Everything works here. The food is amazing. Great service. Awesome decor. NOISY!!!!!!! Will be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantabulousRheaDined on 9/7/2014Had to bring some friends..we ordered a variety of goodies.. Pork,seafood black rice,cod,branzino.....each tastier than the last..our server made the experience that much better..and of course ended our meal with the giant fortune cookie( celebrating a b'day).. Devoured Can't wait to go back..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HappeningMissMichy15Dined on 9/6/2014This is a trend spot. Food is decent, but nothing out of this world. You definitely come here to be seen and socialize. DJ was great on a Saturday night! Place is so busy that service was on the slow side, but not a big deal.Special Features:
- Awesome spot!dt11554Dined on 9/6/2014I had my girlfriend's bday here and the service was extremely accommodating. The food was amazing while the ambiance was something out of a movie. It was very loud however this is a place you must go to!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing menuApplejaxDined on 9/6/2014This was really a treat. I've been to Tao Vegas and it pales in comparison! I absolutely love the layout/decor/energy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumTamfalDined on 9/5/2014A thrilling hot spot to see and be seen for sure, with the theatre style seating leading to the main dining area. Food was deelish. Was a little confused though on how much to order since I thought everything was smaller tapas style sizes, until I finally learned it wasn't once everyone else had their food. I just picked at everyone's since there was no point ordering my own with soo much good already! They made my day special with a beautiful dessert. Biggest annoyance about this place is that it is soo loud to hear people speaking and then they crank the dj even louder, need to work out that balance maybe some noise reducers. The always changing Buddah was a beautiful artistic touch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great diningNYfoodieVIPDined on 9/4/2014This is a great place to go with a group of friends. The decor is absolutely beautiful. We had a very attentive wait staff and the food & cocktails were wonderful. The place is a bit pricey, so be prepared. Overall, I would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eats Buddakan for breakfast.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/4/2014Great food. Highly recommend. This restaurant is worth visiting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeMissDined on 9/2/2014Love the food, music, and overall energy of the staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The most vibrant restaurant in NYCLuvtaoDined on 9/2/2014I really loved this place, amazing drinks, food and ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AbsoluteGreeneyeddevilVIPDined on 9/2/2014The food was so delicious, of impeccable service attitudes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good overallHKangDined on 8/27/2014Good food, service and the ambiance! The only negative was that it was soooooo noisy! We sat next to three ladies that talked that 1000 decibel. My ears hurt when they laughed.... Anyway, recommend the food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice placeFooderVIPDined on 8/27/2014Food is good but far from outstanding. However, this is the kind of place people go for the ambiance and to see and be seen. Beautiful setting.Special Features:
- YumGucciGirlDined on 8/27/2014Went there the other with a few girlfriends and had a really nice time. The food and drinks were great. The waiter was very attentive and didn't rush you. I also should add I liked Tao downtown much better than Tao midtown. Midtown became too much of a tourist attraction.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tao is a wowRheaDined on 8/26/2014The interior is majestic..eye appealing..we were celebrating our daughters' birthday..upon our arrival, we were seated right smack center..Tao statue right above us..spectacular..our server was personable,knowledgeable ..The wine list is extensive..the mix drinks as well. The menu has all sorts of delightful,flavorful choices..Each dish we ordered was delicious( really didn't want to share!)..we had several sushi dishes,a branzino( cooked to perfection)...we ordered the fortune cookie( and what a cookie it was!)..it arrived with a candle,surrounded by fruit..we dove into it. We had a great time and can't wait to return. Note worthy..Tao is smack in the center of several notable places ...Highline,Chelsa market....Special Features:
- still trendyanneVIPDined on 8/25/2014The uptown Tao is now filled with tourists and I never go unless a friend is in town and wants to. It was great to see how fun the new Tao is. Food is good but naturally over priced which I expected. Service was great, very attentive. And the bar is a great hot spot with good people watching.Special Features:
- Drinks at Tao - DO IT!!NycdineguyDined on 8/25/2014Awesome location, I've been to the Tao uptown several times and really wanted to see this location. It seems slightly smaller than the one uptown but was still gorgeous nonetheless. The service was impeccable as usual, but the real surprise was almost a completely different menu. It was a pleasant surprise. The drinks are amazing, pricey but on-par with any NYC hotspot. Overall I strongly recommend, great date spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect place to dine!AndersDined on 8/24/2014Great food. Great staff. Amazing restaurant! We went to celebrate a special occasion and was not let down. We eat an awesome starter, and the main course was also amazing. The staff is very good at making recommendations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- On topNenneDined on 8/23/2014Excellent ambiance but better Food that fulfill your expectations. Shortly Said; Greate!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodLeeronDined on 8/20/2014Try the cod!! Very nice atmosphere. Order the chef sampler for apps.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/19/2014Amazing restaurant! The best one i've been in NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over ratedOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/16/2014As my husband called it PF Changs on steroids. We were rushed...my son was still eating and they brought the dessert menu. You are paying for atmosphere, and that's it!
- OK food, service lackingMurrayDined on 8/16/2014Great energetic atmosphere but quite loud and can be difficult to hear across some of the tables. Our food was only so-so and the service was pretty slow and somewhat erratic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EspectaculAr!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014First time at Tao Downtown and now is one of our top places to go when we visit NY! The food espectacular, the service perfect and the ambiance was like nothing we had seen before!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebration Dinner!!RGC62VIPDined on 8/15/2014What a place, it is so different looking. We were there for a birthday celebration, the drinks were great. The spicy tuna over crispy rice, salmon tartar apps were so good. We also ordered rolls, these were ok- nothing super special but tasted good. For dinner the salmon was great as was the duck fried rice. I expected a small portion of each and was surprised. Dessert - you must have the giant fortune cookie - with chocolate and vanilla mousse. All was great: the service, the food, the atmosphere- a perfect night. This is not the place for a relaxing drawn out dinner - each course is delivered boom, boom - they want you to eat and drink and then they turn the table over. Will def go back to try what we didnt get to try this evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TAO... a Downtown SceneOnlytheFinestDined on 8/14/2014TAO Downtown adds to Meatpacking high city energy. A scene where all the beautiful People gather. Beautiful decor. Food is an art. Alive and worth the wait for your tableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great night at Taocaroline89Dined on 8/12/2014I was very exited to try the downtown location, and Tao never disappoints, so I knew this was going to be good. The decor is gorgeous, the staff was very pleasant and it just has a great vibe. Yes, the music is loud and there is a lot of people there, but that is fine by me, and that's part of the reason why I like Tao so much. Food was great, but I was slighy disappointed that they didn't have my favorite dishes from the uptown restaurant. But still, great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good!TatyanaDined on 8/12/2014Very good place. Amazing interior. Good service. Delicious food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Coolest Hot SpotGot2bthereDined on 8/12/2014It was the ambiance that hit the spot. The wine list was outstanding. Loved the mango chilli martini ! Food & service was excellent which is a rarity these days. Overall a delightful dining experience. Would recommend to friends and go back for sure .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous as AlwaysVallegalDined on 8/10/2014Although a NYC hotspot, still welcoming to kids. Stellar food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is consistently goodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/9/2014Great vibe, loud, food is consistent, a little higher price but worth it!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!Dee2014Dined on 8/9/2014I was there Saturday night for a girls night out with friends. The food was delicious, waitress and busboy very attentive, music was awesome...we had a great time! Drinks were great too - nice variety and they have sake flights. Awesome! I would definitely go back, reservations are a must especially Saturday night. Place was packed!Special Features: