92 Ninth Ave
New York, NY 10011Neighborhood:
Pan-AsianPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.taodowntown.com/
- Phone: 2128882724x
- Hours of Operation:
Sun - Wed; 5:00pm - 1:00am
Thu - Sat; 5:00pm - 2:00am
Last dinner reservations at 12:45am (Sun - Wed) and 1:45am (Thu - Sat).
Restaurant Bar remains open at least one hour after the kitchen closes.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Pan-Asian
- Executive Chef: Ralph Scamardella / Yoshi Kojima
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: LIVE DJ Nightly beginning at 8:00pm.
- Special Events: Please contact our Special Events Sales Dept for parties of 15 people or more.
- Cross Street: at 16th Street; Entrance is on 9th Avenue
- Public Transit: E train stop at 14th Street at 8th Avenue; please exit towards 16th Street on the NW corner. F train stop at 14th Street at 6th Avenue; please exit towards 16th Street on NW corner and walk west on 16th Street, then make a right on 9th Avenue.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Parking Garage is located on 16th Street between 8th & 9th Avenue across the street from Dream Downtown Hotel. Please be advised that we do not validate parking.
Please read street signs carefully for street parking.
A word from Tao Downtown
TAO Group, the pioneers of the Pan-Asian trend that swept New York City over a decade ago, unveils the evolution of the TAO brand with the opening of TAO Downtown. TAO Group will mark the next iteration of the brand, taking over the spaces formerly home to Hiro Ballroom and Matsuri located beneath the Maritime Hotel and will seat up to 400 throughout the restaurant, with approximately 300 seats in the main dining room alone.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Tao Downtown - Best Restaurants in Chelsea ›
Tao Downtown reviews from OpenTable diners
331 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelEnergetic
hot spot (234)good for groups (199)special occasion (182)vibrant bar scene (169)fit for foodies (131)late-night find (95)romantic (90)scenic view (39)neighborhood gem (39)notable wine list (23)great for lunch (13)great for outdoor dining (9)kid-friendly (7)great for brunch (6)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/23/2014Only complain was that we waited 1 hour for table. The bar was so packed we couldn't even get a drink while we waitedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ruthlessOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/23/2014Great food and ambience though very loud and crammed full of people at the expense of a relaxed dinner - everything felt very rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tao Impresses AgainOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/20/2014Every visit to Tao for me is a chance to impress someone. Be it a friend, a visitor, or a special occasion with my girlfriend. Tao downtown achieves this from the moment you leave the hostess and walk into the impressive banquet room. The servers are always within five feet it seems, without excessive push. Top marks to them! And they all know the menu very well. Food is 5 stars. I don't need to elaborate. Just enjoy, and seriously consider desert. Overall, Tao Downtown is top 5 for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Finish your food now!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/20/2014How would you liked to be rushed when your having a meal and having good company? We didn't order appetizers yet, was just listening to waitress suggestions, then voila, unordered appetizers came. It turned out ok. While one of us was still eating her meal, and the others were finishing the appetizers, the waiters rudely swooped down to get the plates, including the appetizers AND the bowl of rice our friend was still working on with her meal! I had to tell them that they should politely ask first before they clear out anything on the table. Then after a few minutes we were rudely given dessert menus to our faces! The majority enjoyed the food and loud ambiance but not the "rushed" service. Total paid almost $400 for 5 of us. Not worth it.
- Just an incredible place period!!!!SCUBAGIRL140Dined on 10/19/2014Never write reviews but TAO DOWNTOWN was incredible from the service to the food to the magical decor I could fault nothing -my husband is a retired chef he is very hard to please and TAO knocked it out of the ballpark - Thank you so much next time we are in new york we will be back . P.S If you like lobster the lobster won tons are unbelievable and I have no words for the chi lien sea bass .. Cheers to the TAO TEAM Kim from Toronto CanadaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great time!LSeniorDined on 10/17/2014I had been a customer of the other Tao NY restaurant. Although different in its ambience from the uptown one, the food and service are equally excellent.Special Features:
- Fantastic atmosphere and foodSwayneDined on 10/17/2014The food and service was fantastic! We enjoyed our meal and had a great time. The only thing we can "complain" about was the amount of food the waiter recommended way too much food for us. We were a party of four, and there was no way we could eat 6 starters, 5 main dishes nad 4 desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best asian fusion food in NYCJSNJVIPDined on 10/17/2014Love this place. Took my clients to Tao and they absolutely surpassed my expectation, high quality of meal, great staff and excellent ambiance.Special Features:
- Bad service but great foodZanaDined on 10/15/2014We waited for our table for an hour. That is not ok, it was my birthday and we booked the table 2 weeks earlier and we we're hungry so we almost went to another place . But the food was fantastic and the girl at our table but the girls at the door was not professional at all and rude. Thank you! Will go back but not hungrySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- beautiful place very noisyreginacaniatoDined on 10/14/2014We love the restaurant. The food was great, the place is nicely decorated, beautiful people. We find it very noisy. The music Were Sleeping too high and I could not talk. It is worth knowing that the place is funky.Special Features:
- Great for a special occasionMemorableDined on 10/12/2014Took my daughter and her friends to celebrate her 16th birthday! A "wow" factor entrance into the dining area. Friendly, attentive and knowledgeable hostess/waitstaff who were eager to please. Food was great. A hip vibe and music. My husband, grandma and I had fun too! Bunch of steps to the base seating area but would request a higher dining level when making a reservation for those with walking difficulties. All in all...had a wonderful and memorable time! Would definitely recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerYummyDined on 10/12/2014Went to Tao to celebrate a birthday with a group of people. Great food, great fun. A bit on the expensive side but will come again.Special Features:
- Great food & decor but nothing elseMailmanDined on 10/12/2014The place is beautiful and the food is outstanding but that is it. Tables are too close together. Adjacent table waiters are constantly running into you or your chair. Noise is too loud forcing you to talk at a level so the tables around you can be in the conversation. Lighting is too dark for a restaurant but perfect for a club. Tables, chairs china, wooden chopsticks etc. were similar to a regular Asian restaurant where the prices are much much lower that correspondingly makes the tip. Great place for a group who wants a great assortment of non traditional Asian food and is willing to pay the higher prices. Great tourist spot. Not for a romantic dinner for two expecting some private one on one conversation. Too bad there is no takeout.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnonymoucDined on 10/10/2014Large portions and great flavors with amazing spices, loved the asparagusSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingElvisDined on 10/10/2014Wow the Restaurant is really nice We had a great timeSpecial Features:
- Beautiful place with lot of noiselsantos81Dined on 10/9/2014Beautiful place Nice decor. There are some tabela for couple at the stairs to main room, that for me and my wife felt disconfortable, but the staff in a few minutes changed us to a normal table. Very nice their attitude. Make us feel like we weren't two more clients. Great food Very Nice service, but The music sometimes makes a simple chat become a hard task. But if you dont mind so you should go. We probably will...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RudeOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/9/2014They made us wait 1hr and 20 minutes! They were rude, never apologized and basically they dont care about their customers since they are popular...never againSpecial Features:
- DowntownGirlVIPDined on 10/9/2014Waited 1.5 hrs on a Thursday night for our 8:30pm reservation. Wasn't seated until 10pm. Had to ask the waitress for a round of drinks. Not very accommodating for our party of 8 people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous new find1LovenewyorkDined on 10/7/2014Visited Tao downtown on a recommendation and was very impressed. Apart from being visually stunning with a layout perfect for both people watching or a date, the food was lovely and it had a real energy. I would definitely visit again if I come back to New York.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EspetacularTgogonDined on 10/7/2014The place is amazing and the food is delicius!! Perfect!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingGutoDined on 10/5/2014I've been in TAO vegas and both TAO NYC. Impossible to say which one is better, but TAO NYC downtown has something more. Simply the best restaurant ever.Special Features:
- Tao , a must visit while in NYCOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014The NYC place, vibrant, Busy, noisy, great atmosphere, professional staff, very god food.Special Features:
- Great style, food quality wantingHankotezDined on 10/2/2014A bit of a mixed bag here. The style is definitely present, very well designed restaurant around an impressive centerpiece that manages to retain an awe factor due to clever projection use. Very attentive and competent service, despite the hubub of diner activity that seems always be on the verge of breaking out into gentle chaos. The big disappointment though is the food, the substance is definitely lacking. Dishes sound nice, but execution is very average. Starters (sushi style finger food) were no better than shop-bought, rather bland and nothing too special there. For mains, mushy fish in banana leaves was disappointing, the texture was quite poor unfortunately. Final verdict - looks great, but well overpriced for the foodSpecial Features:
- Awesome!!!KarlaDined on 10/1/2014Amazing place, food delicious, bar is great and the service is really good and funny!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experienceswest34Dined on 10/1/2014I am from Texas and was on vacation with my mother. The restaurant was amazing. Great ambiance, food and drinks. Quite a few of the meals can feed two people easily. Made reservations the day before without any problems. Towards 9pm the place can get a little loud, which can make conversation hard, but not unmanageable.Special Features:
- Amazing foodTrishDined on 9/30/2014So I've been dying to go to Tao downtown. I finally made a reservation and had dinner with my friend at 10pm due to work. It was packed and very lively. We waited 30 minutes for a table it was ridiculously busy. As soon as we sat, we were greeted by our waitress, we ordered. I had the halibut and shrimp with the side of broccoli and she had the pad Thai. The food literalu arrived in about 5 minutes piping hot. I was astonished at how fast the food came out making up for the 30 minute wait. The food was so AMAZINGKY DELICIOUS. Our waitress checked on us. She was very nice and attentive. Fabulous crowd.Special Features:
- great dinner !!roy1216Dined on 9/29/2014I highly recommend tao down town. The food is great and creative, you can feel the ingridiants are fresh and fron high quelity. I would recommend the crab sushi, dragon sushi (yummi eel) and frozen custerd in the dessert department...enjoySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014Great time! Simply perfect. Excellent atmosphere, food and service.Special Features:
- Great Place!!JerseyDined on 9/27/2014Went to celebrate my hubbys birthday & soo glad we did! The place was beautiful, As well as great food and drinks! Def make a reservation as it was packed! Alil pricey but nothing outrageous considering its NY . .Special Features:
- great atmospheregeneDined on 9/27/2014Food was amazing! The drinks, not so much. I would definitely recommend this to my friends and familySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tao reviewDonnaWDined on 9/27/2014Had the best night here. The restaurant is absolutely gorgeous and we all felt like we were back in Vegas. The food was delicious except the Bok Choy was too salty. The Chilean sea bass on a stick was outstanding - best I have ever had. All the appetizers were delicious and we ordered many of them. The only damper to the phenomenal experience was the attitude of our waitress - she actually told us to order both appetizers and dinner at once because 'she didn't know when she would be back'! We didn't listen and ordered dinner after eating our appetizers and had a great time. Loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved our experience!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014I was recommended by an Atlanta restaurant owner who knows Patrick... We had a blast! The food was absolutely more than we expected! The service was impeccable! I can't wait to come back and visit Tao Downtown!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place overalltryingoutnycVIPDined on 9/26/2014The ambiance/feel of the restaurant was great, and the food was also great. Highly recommend the chicken dumplings/gyoza and the wagyu beef kalbi roll - while our main entrees were great (I think it was something like chili chicken and salmon), I honestly think that they probably excel more at their appetizers and rolls, so if I were to go again, I'd stick with that. The drinks were tasty and strong - the only problem that we had was that the service was not what is expected with this caliber of restaurant. While we were seated immediately upon arriving for our reservation, the service otherwise was very slow and we had request things of our waiter multiple times. Overall though, I would definitely come again.Special Features:
- Love Tao!NYCrepeatDined on 9/26/2014Hostesses, good food and ambiance exceeded out expectations. Server rushed us and was not attentive. Almost ruined the experience for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the waitglamqueenDined on 9/25/2014Even though we had a reservation, we had to wait an hour for our table. The bar is one of the nicest I've seen so it wasn't an issue to hang out there and everything else made up for the wait as well. Delicious food, beautiful restaurant and great vibe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great timeTatsDined on 9/23/2014Went for my birthday and had a great time. It was beautiful inside, the food was great and the service was on point.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/23/2014Great food, great cocktails, great atmosphere, awesome location, what more could you want!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing NightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/23/2014This place was amazing. Great decor, unsuspecting from the outside. Everything from the doors, lighting, seating and even the bathroom. Food hit the spot. Waitress was great, checked on us regularly (even another waitress asked if we were attended too). Food came surprisingly fast. Good is pricey but worth it once I'm awhile. Drinks were great tooSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for entertainingMamaDined on 9/23/2014Taking out of town clients to Tao is more of an experience than just dinner. The ambiance is fabulous - the place is huge! The inside design is stunning. It's expensive, but that's to be expected. Food and service were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Table wasn't readyAlwaysaleDined on 9/22/2014I had to wait 40 min for my table to be ready. It wasy bday and I had requested and special table. Instead I had a table right to the bar where I have people speaking in my ear for the entire night.Special Features: