7523 3rd Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11209Neighborhood:
Middle EasternPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.tanoreen.com/
- Phone: 7187485600
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Friday: 12:00pm -10:30pm, Saturday: 10:30am - 11:00pm, Sunday: 10:30am - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Middle Eastern
- Executive Chef: Rawia Bishara
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
A word from Tanoreen
Featured on the pages of Gourmet, Plate, New York Magazine, The New Yorker, The New York Times, Village Voice, Time Out NY and more. Appearances on the Food Network"s 'Best Thing I Ever Ate', ABC News, NY1, PBS and more. Tanoreen varies in it's fusions, but never deviates from its roots; a harmonious blend of classical Middle Eastern home-style cooking. Typically, Middle Eastern cuisine is relegated to dishes of falafel or hummus, but Tanoreen goes above and beyond to take Middle Eastern cuisine to its most traditional and innovative forms.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Tanoreen - Best Restaurants in Bay Ridge ›
Tanoreen reviews from OpenTable diners
82 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (62)fit for foodies (57)good for groups (39)special occasion (28)romantic (18)great for lunch (17)kid-friendly (15)hot spot (9)great for brunch (6)late-night find (5)scenic view (2)notable wine list (2)Show More
- Delicious dinner at TanoreenOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/17/2014Tanoreen is worth the trip to Bay Ridge from any part of the city. The service was warm and the food was insanely good.Special Features:
- Restaurant Week dinnerAudkarmDined on 8/15/2014I found that we didn't need to use the prix-fixed special for two people. The food was good and the service was fine. The Matra De let me change my reservation on the computer from 2 to 1 person doing restaurant week promotion. The prices were moderate so I didn't feel the special restaurant week which had a dessert was necessary. Would definitely will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!EricVIPDined on 8/10/2014I am reluctant to write such a positive review for fear I will not be able to get a reservation in the future. We came upon Tanoreen because we purchased the cookbook Olives, Lemons & Zaatar written by the owner. During a recent NY visit from Philadelphia we were sure to dine here. The food was amazing! The staff was very friendly and the owner walked around talking to every table offering my wife tips from her cookbook. There were 5 of us that shared items, we did not leave hungry. Highly recommend Hummus, Vegetarian Grape Leaves, Eggplant Napoleon, Musakhan, Mediterranean Grilled Chicken (one of the best chicken dishes I ever had) and for dessert, Knafeh! The restaurant is in a very nice area of Bay Ridge Brooklyn and easy to find.Special Features:
- Great group dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/9/2014This was my second visit to Tanoreen and I was much happier with my entree this time! It was also nice going in a group (of five people) because we ordered appetizers and sampled each other's dishes. Our server didn't seem to know an awful lot about the wine menu, but it worked out ok. The restaurant could benefit from some sound-absorbing wall hangings since we had to raise our voices.Special Features:
- A QUALITY BROOKLYN RESTAURANTCANDIDWITDined on 8/7/2014IF YOU PREFER MEDITERRANEAN-MIDEASTERN FOOD YOU WILL LOVE TANOREEN. THE ONLY NEGATIVE IS THE DIN.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently greatMTCCVIPDined on 8/5/2014We have been to Tanoreen many times - always delicious, never disappoints.Special Features:
- Culinary treasureOdysseaDined on 7/27/2014A little schlepp from Manhattan but absolutely worth the ride. I selected several cold and hot appetizers and my tastebuds rejoiced. Portion size was large enough to make another meal at home. Absolutely will take another ride to Bay Ridge to Tanoreen.Special Features:
- Excellent choiceNyRegularDined on 7/26/2014Everything that you would want is on their menu. It was our second time at Tanoreen and we were not disappointed. Their appetizers and entrees are very flavorful and the portions are perfect. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tanor wrongDiner6Dined on 7/25/2014We travelled a distance only to be disappointed. The tilapia on the special menu was a small dried out piece of fish. The "upside down " lamb speciality was all vegetables and no lamb. Our friends tried two other dishes a chicken and salmon and were not happy. We tried four different desserts two were fine but the Baklava was so tiny for the price and the ice cream was gummy. We were not even offered a second cup of coffee.e We will not recommend this restaurant.
- What a restaurantChefEdDined on 7/25/2014This restaurant is a Hidden gem. The food was incredibly delicious and the portions.. Let's just say go on an empty stomach straight after the gym. You will leave there with a great sense of the way a restaurant should be, your belly full and with left overs. It's pricing it above $30 a plate including a cocktail but well worth it. Bring the family, a date, even your in laws if there's any bad blood after eating a meal in this beautifully decorated Mediterranean restaurant all will be forgotten. The staff is very knowledgable, passionate and very hospitable. I will definitely go there againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely Outstanding as always!!!MonaDined on 7/19/2014Terrific as always , and always greeted with smiles :) Thank you for being so fabulous!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A TreatLhohDined on 7/19/2014Lovely food. Excellent waiting staff. Reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Three for ThreeArchangelVIPDined on 7/18/2014Tanoreen has never let me down! Each time was as excellent or better than before!! A definite "must try" !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulMTCCVIPDined on 7/17/2014Without doubt, the best Middle Eastern food we have ever had. We have been to Tanoreen many times, and the food is consistently delicious.Special Features:
- DeliciousfranmaxDined on 7/13/2014The chef/owner always comes to talk with you - she is amazing. The food is so authentic. All kinds of spices and flavors. Mouthwatering. Love it! I'll be back again.Special Features:
- Best Lebanese in NY!AMABrooklynDined on 7/5/2014We love Tanoreen! The cabbage-rolls are delicate and perfectly spiced, the kabobs are flavorful and tender, and their rice pilaf is a mix of sweet and salty and just perfect. Order extra hummus and tabouleh to take home, we always do! Rawia has given us a gem in Brooklyn! Service, setting, and food are all perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great Bay Ridge restaurant!BrooklynFoodieDined on 6/20/2014My husband and I, Bay Ridge residents, have dined at Tanoreen several times. We have never been disappointed with the food or service. The mid-Eastern food is uniformly excellent and includes, not only traditional dishes, but also many less familiar entries. My husband and I generally order a selection of appetizers for dinner as a way to include a variety of old and new dishes. The staff is always friendly and welcoming. And during virtually every one of our visits, the owner has stopped at every table to chat with the customers. This place attracts people from all over Brooklyn and Manhattan. Don't show up for dinner without a reservation! We love Tanoreen!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the best of the bestdorisDined on 6/19/2014The food is a-1 absolutley wonderful; the biggest problem is deciding what to have as everything on the menu is fantastic. The spices used are unbelievably good. Tanoreen is a a treasureSpecial Features:
- Just like Grandma's Cooking!ArchangelVIPDined on 6/14/2014If you are familiar with this type of cuisine...it will be even better than you remember. If you are not familiar with this type of cuisine, this is the best way to open your palate to a whole new world!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like Grandma's CookingArchangelVIPDined on 6/6/2014Brought a special person in my life who was not familiar with Middle Eastern Cuisine....and was best way to share what I grew up with from my grandparents. She loved it and better understood what I tried to explain in words. Eating is believing!Special Features:
- Excellent food and serviceMareVIPDined on 5/24/2014Great middle eastern food. One of the best in NYC.Special Features:
- Stellar Middle EasternNYCdinnerloverDined on 5/10/2014This place is home cooking Lebanese at its very best. Some of the dishes are cooked for hours. Wine selection is good too. Worth a trip to Bay Ridge, a neighborhood where there is a meritocracy of middle eastern food. When we asked about one ingredient we got a 5 minute story about where it comes from and how they acquire and process it. (Parsley). They clearly are into the quality of their ingredients and it shows. Also, their hummus was simply the best I have had in NYC and I eat middle eastern twice a week or more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tanoreen is the best of the best!JasonJamalDined on 5/10/2014Rawia's food reminds me of my childhood, and that makes me happy. The food is a perfect combination of home cooking and exquisite cuisine- there is something for everyone. Bay Ridge owes a debt of gratitude to Tanoreen for gracing us with their presence! I remember going there with my grandmother many years ago, before they moved to the bigger location. I'm glad they've grown and moved on to bigger and better things. If you haven't been, you are missing out! The best of the best.Special Features:
- just fineOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/10/2014completely regular to mediocre. definitely not the astonishing food experience it's been purported to be. the dips had way too much lemon in them, whether it was babganoush or hummus, all you tasted was lemon. the lamb kibbie were good but a bit dry the lamb and rice stuffed cabbage leaves were good i think the place has been getting better reviews than it deserves only because there is not much else in bay ridge also, they were blasting really loud music the whole time, which made unforgettably bad what would have otherwise been a simply forgettable dining experience
- Try it, you'll LOVE it!somuchtoeatsolittletimeDined on 5/7/2014Our first experience with the Middle Eastern menu at Tanoreen was a great one - shared brussel sprouts and kibbe were perfection. Two of us continued with small plates as our "main," while the other two ordered entrées. Great versions of "soul" food!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!BkynlovesfoodDined on 5/2/2014Definitely make a reservation! Went with a party of 6. We were not rushed at all which is very rare. The staff was attentive and the is incredible. Will be returning shortly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gem....OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/2/2014It was our first time dining at Tanoreen, so we weren't sure what to eat (everything in the menu looked and sounded really good!!). Our waiter was very helpful with helping us select our meal - from drinks to appetizers to main dish. Even the diners (who all seemed to be regulars) were recommending menu selections. What I liked most was the fact that owner went around making sure that the diner's were having a great time. Definitely going back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 136 reviews are from the Tanoreen reviews archive.
- redwineVIPDined on 4/26/2014Loved the food and cocktails, but the room was deafening.
- FabulousMTCCVIPDined on 4/24/2014In a word, delicious food and a well-trained staff make for a wonderful dining experience.Special Features:
- A Unique Dining ExperienceTeaLeavesDined on 4/17/2014We had the Brussel sprouts, eggplant napolean, and schwarma sliders which were all amazing appetizers. The kibbie (appetizer) and two entrees: lamb kabobs and shrimp were decent, as in not bad, but also not something I would order again. In truth, I would stick to appetizers only the next time we go there, which no doubt we will when we move into the neighborhood. I can't complain about the service; the waiters are attentive if not very smiley. Make sure to leave room for the knafel however. It was absolutely heavenly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always amazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/16/2014LOVE TANOREEN. I have been to Tanoreen many times, have tried many of their entrees and almost all of the appetizers and desserts, and they're always consistently scrumptious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's so great to have a restaurantTomCVIPDined on 4/13/2014It's so great to have a restaurant like Tanoreen in the neighborhood. Last minute Sunday dinner was great, as usual. Food- baba broccoli special, shrimp, salmon- is do vonsistently good. Service was warm & friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently amazing food!StacayDined on 4/11/2014From the food to the service, Tanoreen excels in it all! The menu is extensive and the specials menu always has something new and exciting. I ordered the shrimp dish from the specials menu and it was amazing! I also ordered a raspberry mojito which was great! Will definitely return to Tanoreen and would highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!SuzieqDined on 4/10/2014Tanoreen in a neighborhood gem. It serves middle Eastern food that is well above the usual gyro and falafel fare that most people think of. Ask to get an assortment of spreads for the table. I like ordering a selection of small plates to share so that my guests get more of a sense of the various favors achieved by this outstanding chef.Special Features:
- Great FindBoswellVIPDined on 4/6/2014I just had the best Middle Eastern food that I've ever tasted in New York City. What a surprise to find it tucked away in Bay Ridge. I'm just sorry that it is a hassle to get to as I would be a regular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious culinary feast!TallladylawyerDined on 4/5/2014The food is amazing! The presentation is beautiful! The staff is very attentive, even after all these years, with the owner visiting every table. I highly recommend this place for its home cooking with fresh herbs and veggies and homey feel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in the cityNYCMarineDined on 4/5/2014How lucky we are to love just three blocks from the best Mediterranean restaurant in all of NYC. It just does not get any better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chef Rawia Superb!!!AHamdyVIPDined on 3/30/2014Superb food. Quality service. Kid-Friendly. Amazing place that has become part of our family routine. Enjoy it every time we go regardless of what time of day... weekday... or evening.Special Features:
- Tanoreen is always a treattrappe21VIPDined on 3/29/2014We love this restaurant. The food is the best Middle Eastern food around and a little different from the usual. The owner has just published a cookbook which is very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful service and amazing food!Luv2dineDined on 3/28/2014We came for an early dinner with a large group. The service was great and all the appetizers we ordered were amazing. Especially the Brussel sprouts, hummus, and falafel. The entrees were good too but next time I'll just order a bunch of appetizers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.