120 W 25th Avenue
San Mateo, CA 94403Neighborhood:
LebanesePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.tannourinecuisine.com/
- Phone: 6506381960
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday 12:00pm - 2:00pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 2:00pm Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Lebanese
- Executive Chef: Paul Sarkis
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Delivery, Fireplace, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We can cater and deliver to groups of 10 or more . Please call for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Our Restaurant can be reserved for private parties (buy out), Please call for details.
- Entertainment: SUNDAY,JANUARY 17,2010 Andrea performs along with a special line-up of invited guest dancers Malia de Felice, Christina Amar, more! Come support Andrea's Raq Stars at their debut performance 7:00-9:30 p.m.
- Special Events: RAQ THE HOUSE SUNDAY NOVEMBER 23RD Andrea performs along with a special line-up of invited guest dancers Adriana, Malia de Felice, Christina Amar, more! Come support Andrea's Raq Stars at their debut performance 7:00-9:30 p.m.
A word from Tannourine
Authentic Lebanese and Mediterranean Cuisine prepared for you by our famous Chef Paul. Our restaurant features the elegance of fine dinning in a comfortable relaxing atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Tannourine - Best Restaurants in San Mateo ›
Tannourine reviews from OpenTable diners
25 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelQuiet
neighborhood gem (16)fit for foodies (10)good for groups (8)special occasion (7)great for lunch (4)romantic (3)kid-friendly (3)late-night find (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Delicious mediterranean food!ac19Dined on 9/21/2014My family and I have been here a few times and enjoyed their food and service. Haven't been disappointed yet. Even their complimentary pita and yogurt dip is very good. I've tried their sampler platter, lamb kebabs and lamb shank. All were tasty and delicious! Every person at our table was satisfied with their entree. Hope to come back for more good food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Ethnic FindzeroneDined on 9/18/2014Tannourine serves authentic middle eastern (Lebanese) food. The food is well made, fresh, and flavorful. You will enjoy every bite.Special Features:
- Good foodJan13Dined on 9/5/2014Nice place to go to with group of people, very lively, good food, enjoyable entertainment, very friendly serviceSpecial Features:
- Authentic Middle Eastern fooddvnoneVIPDined on 8/23/2014Food just like I remember as a child! Friendly staff easy parking and a meal you soon won't forget.Special Features:
- Going downhillbjeanDined on 8/22/2014I had the cubes of lamb with couscous. The lamb was scarce in this dish and not very well seasoned. The vegetables zucchini and carrots were so overcooked that they they were mushy. It also came with flavorless huge chunks of potatoes and the couscous was dried out. I used to love the food at Tannourine, not so much this time.
- Odd experienceAndreaVIPDined on 7/31/2014I made an Open Table reservation for a client meeting here, and expected that one was needed. But upon arriving, it was just my client and me, and another quiet couple at a table far in the corner. We had to ask the waiter to put some music on because it was so eerily quiet and almost uncomfortable. People did start to trickle in around 7 PM, but we left by then. The food was ok, but not spectacular. Can't comment on the wine, as I didn't have any. It was straight-forward for the cuisine, but the ambiance was awkward. Not sure if I'll be back soon.
- WONDERFULsibelDined on 7/26/2014I had a wonderful time. Great meza selection all fresh hummus and babaganoush out of this world. All meats chicken ,lamb and beef very well marinated and tender. Great service and friendly atmosphere. A must again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/26/2014Service was attentive w/o being intrusive. Lamb shank was tender & tasty. Beef Kebab was tasty & tough - must stay away from kebabs as they are usually tough, regardless where I go. Place was quite noisy. I think it's because there are no wall coverings so voices bounce back and forth between the walls. I used a restaurant.com cert. Instead of subtracting the total cert value once from the bill, they spread the value over each item, but the sum of each discount was short of our total value. Very odd. I didn't bring it up with the server as it was a small amount and just took it off the tip (I know it's not fair to the server, but I was tired and cranky from a long day, and not up to negotiating). I tipped based on BEFORE gift cert & tax.
- Former issues addressed!FridayNiteDinnersVIPDined on 7/18/2014We really enjoyed our dinner here on Friday night. We had impeccable service and the food (lamb!) was divine. We've always loved the food, but were disappointed with the service. This time made up for all the rest, we look forward to enjoying Tannourine on a regular basis!I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 243 reviews are from the Tannourine reviews archive.
- Best of the MedMaloufVIPDined on 5/11/2014My family is 100% Lebanese and we have never been disappointed with our meals at this restaurant. I have ordered most everything and loved every bite. If you can't go to Grandma's then this is the next best place (and some items are even better...yikes she won't see this).Special Features:
- Nice fresh foodMenloGalVIPDined on 5/3/2014Tried a new restaurant this weekend and was pleased with the choice. I got kebabs and my companion got chicken shwarma, both were tasty. The restaurant itself was nicely decorated, but it was ICE cold, A/C cycling on an off between comfortable and arctic. The service was friendly, slightly slow, but they did have two large parties of nearly 20 people each, so understandable. They may have run out of rice due to the large parties as they asked my companion if he would like cous cous instead of rice as the food was just about to come out. The food and service were good enough to give it a second try. I will be back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gem.adancedivaDined on 5/3/2014A neighborhood gem right on 25th Avenue in San Mateo. Our reservation was for 6:30 PM on a Saturday night and when we arrived our table was waiting for us. There were five of us and we ordered appetizers prior to our main course which everyone thought were delicious. The lamb shanks were to die for and the grilled chicken w/lemon butter sauce was grilled perfectly, moist and not dry. The skewered lamb was also cooked medium rare and not overcooked. The noise level was just fine to hold a conversation without hearing other table conversation even when sitting next to a large party. Service was pleasant and friendly. Our only suggestion would be to improve the wine list.Special Features:
- Terrific! Best Middle Eastern Food.maxmanDined on 4/26/2014My grandmother was from Lebanon and I grew up with the terrific middle eastern food. This is the only restaurant on the West Coast that is exactly like home cooking and I have tried numerous ones all over CA, OR and WA as I travel on business almost every other week. It is authentic and the presentation is beautiful. Thanks for being there.Special Features:
- Lunch at TannourinemthieleDined on 4/25/2014If you like Lebanese or Mediterranean food, you'll like this place. The meats are fresh and well seasoned, and the service is prompt and friendly. We only had two dishes, plus a salad, but the lamb and the chicken were both very good and I especially liked the Baba Ghanoush and the Hummus. I definitely recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sandyVIPDined on 4/1/2014We had high hopes for a good Lebanese meal but this was not the place. The Schwarma was tough and the sauce tasteless. the waiter kept going outside to smoke. Sorry, I hate to write a bad review, but this place has a long way to go
- Good Foodken210Dined on 3/19/2014If you want to try something new, go to Tannourine. Lebanese and Mediterranean food at its finest. The place is nice, clean and the service is superb! We tried their meat shawarma and the kafta kashkash and these both tasted wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A return trip will be done!MarcTVIPDined on 3/8/2014My wife and I had a Groupon special for this restaurant and went there on a Saturday night after making an OpenTable reservation. Since we had the Groupon, we had a pre-set menu of some appetizers, a main course and some dessert. I don't remember all the things we had, but we had some hummus (very tasty and fresh), baba ghanoosh (probably spelled that wrong, but it was good) and some small hot appetizers which were really, really good. The mixed kebab platter was our main course and really good, especially the lamb. The beef was nice and tender and the chicken was flavorful. A few baklava for dessert and we were stuffed! I think the restaurant was a bit short-staffed that evening, but service was exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date nightnarainDined on 2/7/2014Went there for a Friday night dinner and was surprised to hear that they had a special event. They had 9 belly dancers performing, was really entertaining. The food was plenty and well prepared/cooked. The service was friendly and right on target. Highly recommend this place but make sure to have a reservation cause they got really busy really quickly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was our first visit tocandyVIPDined on 2/6/2014This was our first visit to this nice restaurant and we were impressed by the décor of the place, very relaxing atmosphere and the food was very good and flavorful, we will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TannourineSteveDined on 1/31/2014We picked Tannourine for Dinner for our group of 6 friends because it looked a little unusual compared to the regular California cuisine. It is a family owned restaurant and the food, service and ambiance were all great. We shared the cold Mezza combo and Tabouleh to start and enjoyed sharing all of the items. One of the group had Lamb Shanks and kept telling the owner how great it was every time he came by. Two vegetarians had the Veggie Combo and the Mjadra plates and the carnivores had Chicken Shawarma and a fish dish which does not appear on the online menu since the catch of the day varies but it was great! All of the dishes were made daily with fresh ingredients. The noise level was quiet and we could easily carry on a conversation.Special Features:
- Room for improvementOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/30/2014We were welcomed as soon as we entered the door, and were shown to our table. The wait staff was friendly, and helped us chose our meals from an extensive menu. We enjoyed the mezza combo (1 plate was more than enough for the three of us). Our server recommended the Shish Kabab (Mix Grill), enough for my husband and me to share. The flavors were great, but I thought the meat was over cooked. My son's meal, Kafta Meshwi, finally came when we were almost finished. He didn't mind, and it was hot and the meat was juicy. Overall, we enjoyed the meal and will dine there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!DonutDined on 1/26/2014Went to Tanourine on a Groupon deal. The food was delicious and plentiful-- enough for 2 to have lunch leftovers the next day! Wine list was reasonably priced service was welcoming and attentive. We will go back!Special Features:
- Food was very good. Lamb shankhackerDined on 1/25/2014Food was very good. Lamb shank was recommended and didn't disappoint. Lighting too bright/harsh for our tastes.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service & flavorful food.dbwmomDined on 1/25/2014Service was excellent. Food was flavorful. Generous portions. But we did not realize that it was a set menu; it did not specify that on the Groupon. Good thing we are not vegans. There were other items on the menu that we would have chosen. There were many families with young children and a couple of large groups when we were there. That's a good sign.Special Features:
- mehjoebobDined on 1/18/2014Got our order wrong. Didn't refill water glasses. Food was pretty good.Special Features:
- Service still needs improvingShariVIPDined on 1/12/2014It was a quiet Sunday Lunch. The food was great. The waiter was sweet but seems not to have been trained as a waiter.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Lamb ShankLetyDined on 1/11/2014We were six for dinner and dined early. The server was fantastic. I got the lamb shank, recommended by the server and loved it. It was flavorful and very tender. I brought my own wine and paid a $10 corkage fee which was very reasonable. I didn't check their wine list, I just had a nice bottle for this occasion. I will definitely go back to it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid food, generous portionsjdsfVIPDined on 1/5/2014The food was generally well executed, and portions were generous. The only dissapointment was the rice which was plain, as though from a rice cooker. In most other Mediterranean restaurants rice I've had has complimented the grilled items nicely, more like a pilaf or something.
- Need to focus on service!FridayNiteDinnersVIPDined on 1/3/2014This is our third visit to Tannourine and the second time we had unsatisfactory service. We were greeted by a nice man at the door who pointed us to our table once I gave the OpenTable info. A woman server met us halfway to our table and asked us if we had a reservation. I assured her we did. She went to the kitchen and came back to tell us she didn't see our reservation. I brought up the OpenTable email on my phone and showed her. She disappeared for a moment and then came back to our table. Her exact words were, "Do you know what you want to order?" No acknowledgement that she had found our reservation or any apology for challenging us. Over the course of the dinner, she warmed to us, but the initial interaction seemed so unnecessary.
- Delicious Food with great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/3/2014We enjoyed a relaxing evening with friends. The food was delicious and the service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpectacularSCoffDined on 12/20/2013Friendly service, great with our kids, and delicious appetizers and grilled meats. Excellent experience.Special Features:
- Great Middle Eastern foodlartosDined on 12/14/2013The restaurant is like eating at you're own home with white tablecloths. The food is terrific, and our waiter was very accommodating, even though there was a private party of about 30 people celebrating an 81st birthday. The Falafel and baba ganoush are fantastic. The pita is served warm and try the mixed grill, with chicken, beef, and lamb served with rice and vegetables. It is seasoned just perfect, and just a great place to go. Corkage is $10, so bring your own wine!Special Features:
- Great foodchocloveVIPDined on 11/24/2013My family dines here regularly. Our favorite dishes include the babaganoush (great smokey flavor), fava bean appetizer, and cous cous dishes. Service was a bit slower than usual on our last visit, but we'll be back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/21/2013Made us feel as if they were genuinely glad we were there. The service was just right--they didn't hover but seemed to appear at just the right times. The food was presented beautifully and, most importantly, was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch was great!ShariVIPDined on 11/21/2013This was a very different experience from the last one. This waitress was very competent. Everything was great, except I forgot to ask for my meat to be medium rare. The cucumbers were a nice treat!! This waitress needs to train the one Sunday night.Special Features:
- Very good food!CarlDined on 11/16/2013We had dinner there on a Saturday. It was the first time there for most in our party. The service was really nice and the food was very good. The shawarma (both meet and chicken), salads, baba ghannouge, tabouleh, Labna B'Khyar, and pita bread were all delicious. The dolmas were pretty good and the falafel was just ok. We felt the falafel was doughy, not crunchy at all. The mjadra was very good, too, but tasted cinnamon which we were not used to having in such a dish. When we asked for substitutions for things such as rice or feta cheese, the waiter happily complied. He also gave a surprise baklava with a candle in it for the birthday girl. The kind, attentive waiter really helped make our dining experience a very pleasurable one!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodPrincessDined on 11/15/2013It was our first time to this restaurant. The environment is nice. The food is very good. Our waitress is always simile even it was a busy night. We also enjoy the dancing show. Will definitely come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mediocre at bestJowiDined on 11/2/2013Very heavy greasy food. We had the Mezza combo plate and the rice/lentil dish. Even the salad was drenched in oil. The pita was good, but that's it. Would not return.
- Enjoyable dinnerSFBayGuyDined on 10/23/2013We enjoyed our second time dining here. This time we came with our young kids. The mezze both cold and hot were very good, especially both the babaganoush and hummus. Enjoyed the lentil rice as well as the chicken kebabs. Will definitely come again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food: Great; Service: Can do betterFridayNiteDinnersVIPDined on 10/4/2013We really loved our meal on Friday - especially the grilled lamb, it was very tender and flavorful. What we found unnerving, however, was having to literally lean to the side as the wait staff angled by our tightly placed table. They could have walked around but decided not to, taking this shortcut which had us concerned when they were also carrying many plates. When the table to our left became free, we moved our table over so there would be more room for the wait staff to use the space to the right as a thoroughfare. We also ordered a salad that never arrived. We didn't mention it because it wasn't included on the bill. Portions are very generous so we did fine without it, just surprised it just fell off of our order.I would recommend this to a friend.