Tannin Wine Bar and Kitchen
1526 Walnut St.
Kansas City, MO 64108Neighborhood:
Downtown / River Market
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Tannin Wine Bar and Kitchen
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.tanninwinebar.com/
- Phone: (816) 842-2660
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:30 am - 1:30am, Saturday: 4:00 pm - 1:30 am, Sunday: 4:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Brian Aaron
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Let us help plan your event in one of several areas of the restaurant perfect for entertaining guests. Whether planning a corporate event, holiday party, special occasion or anything in between, each event space is ideal for hosting sit down lunches and dinners, cocktail parties or wine tastings. We appreciate your consideration and look forward to providing an unforgettable experience for you and your guests. Contact Laura Moore, Event Coordinator, with additional questions and availability. firstname.lastname@example.org | 816.842.2660
- Private Party Facilities: Looking for a unique and urban location to host your next event? Tannin Wine Bar & Kitchen has several areas to reserve for your next party!
- Private Party Contact: Laura Moore 8168422660
- Special Events: Tannin Wine Bar & Kitchen hosts monthly wine tastings and other special events throughout the year. View their website www.tanninwinebar.com for updates. Interested in becoming a member of one of the 6 Tannin Wine Clubs? In addition to the wine locker, you receive one bottle of wine per month, free admission to monthly wine tastings and discounts when you dine at the restaurant. Email email@example.com for more information.
A word from Tannin Wine Bar and Kitchen
Tannin Wine Bar & Kitchen is your local, urban destination located in the Crossroads Art District and now 2 blocks away from the Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts. Enjoy a glass of wine from the "well researched and extensive" wine list. We offer wines by the taste, glass or bottle, to satisfy everyone’s palate. Don’t forget to savor the seasonal, contemporary American cuisine prepared by Executive Chef, Brian Aaron. The lunch and dinner menu includes cheese plates, small bites and entrees. The kitchen is open until midnight Monday - Saturday. Let us help plan your next event in one of our unique areas of the rsstaurant perfect for entertaining guests. Whether planning a corporate event, holiday party, special occassion or anything in between, each area is ideal for entertaining and can accommodate 8 - 150 guests. Visit our website for information about upcoming events including happy hour specials and wine events. We look forward to seeing you soon. Cheers!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Tannin Wine Bar and Kitchen - Best Restaurants in Downtown / River Market ›
Tannin Wine Bar and Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
81 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
notable wine list (72)fit for foodies (61)neighborhood gem (41)romantic (38)special occasion (32)good for groups (29)great for outdoor dining (27)late-night find (21)hot spot (21)vibrant bar scene (18)great for lunch (14)great for brunch (6)scenic view (2)Show More
- Dinner for 2NeathaDined on 11/12/2014We enjoyed a perfect dinner for 2, our server was mindful of shows that evening and started by asking if we had a time limit. We told her that we were going to see John Cleese at 8pm. The pace of the meal was perfect, not rushed and not too slow. While they have an outstanding wine selection, they do have a very nice selection of craft beers. We were able to enjoy a relaxed meal and still have plenty of time to make the show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014John, our server took the time to demonstrate his vast knowledge of wine. It was not only fun for all, but the recommended wines were all excellent.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/7/2014one of our favorites!! excellent wine its and LOTS of great wines by the glassSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable eveningFunMamaPapaDined on 11/1/2014Husband and I decided to plan a date night and I selected Tannin Wine Bar for a couple reasons...the wine list and the great reviews. There is outdoor seating available when the weather is nice, but the ambiance inside is very lovely. We ordered the 4 course meal with wine pairing. Our waiter, Dan, was exceptional and we were blown away by Barry's expertise on each of the wines he selected for each course. So cool that they printed out the courses we ordered with the name of the paired wine. We enjoyed this evening so much, and can't wait to invite friends on our next visit. Best dining experience we've ever had in Kansas City.Special Features:
- MorrieCVIPDined on 11/1/2014Tannin's staff makes it great. Orion, Barry and Chef Aaron are the best in the Biz!Special Features:
- Excellent food, great service, barAndreaDined on 10/25/2014We were served in the bar, at a high table, but it was fine. The soup of the day, a beef with gnocchi, was very good and the pumpkin bisque was delicious. I also really enjoyed the duck breast, cooked just enough, and with a really flavorful vegetable side. The flatbread of the day was also lovely. We had relatively limited time and the server was just attentive enough. We will definitely return, especially now that we know they have their own parking.Special Features:
- A little disapponted this timejganoungDined on 10/18/2014It was fine. Visited Kansas City and this restaurant a year ago with friends and had a fabulous time, lots of good food and wine. Went back with same group of friends this weekend and felt like the menu had changed and there weren't enough small plate or appetizer choices. Wine list is fabulous as was the service.Special Features:
- Tannin wins againKCstateofmindDined on 10/18/20141) best truffle fries in the city 2) sommelier knows his stuff and is helpful and kind 3) the duck is amazing was here with my boyfriend for his birthday and we had an amazing time. we never felt rushed and always felt taken care ofSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not as good as last time.fishyDined on 10/18/2014The wine pour was skimpy and the salmon tacos were flavorless. Our last visit a year or so ago the food was very good. The soup of the day, veg beef with dumplings was good but not outstanding.Special Features:
- Had a delicious lunch!Yumfun3Dined on 10/17/2014Delicious food, very inviting atmosphere and wonderful service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LoganVIPDined on 10/14/2014It is a nice overall experience, but the food price point is exorbitant.Special Features:
- Before the theatre---or anytime!NeenAnnDined on 10/7/2014We stopped in prior to heading up to the Music Hall - three had never been here before...they're hooked! What a great menu, fantastic wines, and location-location-location! Thank you for yet another fantastic meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellencePaulinKCDined on 10/4/2014This is a great restaurant and wine bar with exceptional service due to knowledgeable servers. A fun andSpecial Features:
- TanninjayhawkDined on 10/3/2014My wife and I had dinner on a Friday night. Our table was a booth that could seat 5 people, but it was private. We shared Pommes Frites for an appetizer, which were great but enough for 4-5 people. She had Butternut Squash Bisque and a salad, which were good. I did the tasting menu, and had the crab dip, heirloom tomato salad (fantastic), Ciopinni, and bread pudding dessert. The main course was outstanding. I also had a Cabernet Franc, again outstanding.Special Features:
- Outstanding wine and foodLuv2dineDined on 10/3/2014This is a great dining spot for lunch or dinner. I love booking this place for business lunches as it is unique. The service is implacable, the food outstanding, and the noise level is minimal. Oh, not to mention there is an excellent wine list for those interested.Special Features:
- Sketchy service great foodZKCgolfDined on 9/28/2014We had a group(7) on a Sunday night, not very crowded. We are return visitors and the food once again was excellent. The heirloom tomato salad was great and the pork chop is the best in town. The service was not. It appeared that there was only a single wait person for the entire restaurant. Our food came out in odd batches, poorly timed and the runner had no clue which one of us had ordered anything. There were way too long of gaps between courses, orders came out wrong. We waited extraordinary long for desert and coffee and then they brought the wrong desert. Very disappointing way too spend a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another fabulous dining experience!savoringthemomentDined on 9/27/2014My husband and I enjoyed the small plate wine pairing menu with another couple last weekend. The food was delicious, as always. The sommelier did an outstanding job explaining and pairing the various wines. We were seated as requested on our reservation. Extremely pleased with Tannins. We will return!!!Special Features:
- OK, not greatnonicknameDined on 9/24/2014Visited during Happy Hour. Good prices on wine and appetizers. Wine was OK, Happy Hour prices OK--regular prices high. Food was very average. Server was excellent, knowledgeable, attentive and friendly. Nice street side tables with view of downtown. Like the "city" feel, but food--at least Happy Hour offerings need improvement.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Amazing PlaceTommyizzleDined on 9/14/2014This was our first trip to Tanin, and we could not have had a better experience! The wine selection was fantastic and the somlei was very nice, checking on us regularly through the meal. The food was well above and beyond what I expected from a wine bar! Every course was expertly crafted and beautifully plated with amazing flavor. I cannot wait for our next trip!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovetanninDined on 9/12/2014Four of us dined at Tannin Friday night September 12. We had a reservation but when we arrived all the booths were filled. However, the staff graciously moved us to one when it opened up and we were grateful because the low back chairs were not great for people with bad backs. We enjoyed the tasting menu of four courses which was very reasonably priced for the excellent quality of the food. We only had one glitch with a cookie that had been left in the oven a few seconds too long. It was quickly replaced when we pointed it out to our server. Our wine was excellent. Altogether a delightful evening! We will be back!Special Features:
- Tannin Wine Bar: a True FindKCdinerDined on 9/8/2014Tannin Wine Bar is our new favorite downtown restaurant. With an excellent wine list and wonderful locally sourced food it is highly recommended for it's accessible wine list and seasonal food. Monday nights with its buy-one/get-one special on bottles of wine (sub-$90 bottles) affords diners a chance to go outside their comfort zone and try different varieties and regions. The small plates menu is excellent and very reasonably priced--especially considering portions and quality. Our party of four enjoyed our visit very much and expect that Tannins will become a regular dining venue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pleaseddjs2005Dined on 9/6/2014Wonderful food and a great wine selection! Service was very good.Special Features:
- Kansas CityOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/6/2014Great food and a good selection of wine. First time in Kansas City and it was recommended for good food and great wineSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- inventive food with great wineshawneetravelerDined on 9/5/2014Tannin always piques my palate with new food offerings paired beautifully with a knowledgable wine list. The staff is great at suggesting the perfect wine to go with your meal. Half price wine by the glass at lunch is nice too!Special Features:
- Excellent!HeatherFDined on 9/3/2014Only reason we went to Tannin was because I had a coupon. Wow were we blown away by the quality of the wine, the food, and the service. Great place that we will visit again soon! Check out their Happy Hour!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful place poor servicefoodie85Dined on 8/29/2014I went for my 29th birthday I was very excited after reading the reviews. I had reservations and still waited 25 minutes to be seated. The food was ok at best if I return it will be just for the wine.Special Features:
- Outstanding AmbianceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/26/2014Tannin Wine Bar - good food and great atmosphere nestled in the heart of downtown just off the "beaten path". It's cozy and sophisticated at the same time.Special Features:
- New Favorite PlaceSadiesPalDined on 8/23/2014I have been to Tannin Wine Bar and Kitchen twice in the last three months and I can say this is now my favorite restaurant in Kansas City and maybe my favorite anywhere. I have done the four course meal with wine pairings both times and they do a great job matching the wine with the course. The man that describes the wine and provides a history (I believe his name is Barry) makes a great meal even more enjoyable. This will be my spot for the foreseeable future for special events. Already planning on celebrating my daughter's 21st birthday here in a couple of months. The staff knocks it out of the park in every facet.Special Features:
- Great Place.SteakLoverVIPDined on 8/14/2014We took friends to Tannin for dinner before a show, and they enjoyed it auch as we always do. Great food, wine and service always.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great venue before a concertOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/14/2014Just a few blocks from Sprint Center, this is a great place for before the event. Extensive wine select and great appetizers. We always make a meal off the mix and match appitiezer list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly recommendKendalVIPDined on 8/14/2014Great wines from all over the world. Service was a little spotty, but I think they were short on staff the night we dined. Food was excellent.Special Features:
- Wonderful food, wine, and ambiance!swfoodieDined on 8/14/2014What a gem! We were delighted to find Tannin when searching for a pre-concert restaurant within walking distance Sprint Center. We did not want the Power & Light District because of the pre-concert chaos. Tannin has wonderful ambiance -- warm dark wood, contemporary décor, and sidewalk tables for nice nights. The service was great. Wine list is awesome, with many wines available by the glass. The food was delectable -- we each had the 4 course tasting menu. We enjoyed it so much we came back after the concert for another glass of wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Venue 4 Pre and Post ConcertJillyDined on 8/14/2014My husband and I met friends at Tannin prior to a concert. We ordered a luscious wine off their by the glass listing. Loved it- was happy to see that we could also order by the bottle, which we did. Says a lot for a wine list that the by the glass is better than most offerings by the bottle at other establishments. We followed that with a trio of appetizers, then a light dinner- Wonderful. It was almost disappointing that we had someplace else to go, could've stayed longer. In fact, we did go back for a glass after the concert, sat outside and enjoyed another ambient experience at this venue!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food/service could be betterOsuwyoVIPDined on 8/10/2014Food was excellent as usual, service could be prompterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect GF Small Plates and Wine!gfhealthyfoodieDined on 8/7/2014Awesome service, highly attuned to gluten-free needs, EXCELLENT food (we're a health coach and a chef, so we're picky) - a total gem.Special Features:
- WayneVIPDined on 8/6/2014Great find - believe the prior POSITIVE reviews as they are spot on! Wonderful experience with delicious foods complimented by interesting wines served by knowledgeable staff. We will absolutely return - even tho we reside in CA!! Locals - you should flood this venue!!! You are missing a terrific evening!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experience!CaseyDined on 8/2/2014Went there before jazz at the Green Lady Lounge (try it!), and had appetizers and sampled some wine. It was a very relaxing evening due in great par to our outstanding service. We will be back!Special Features:
- Lovely dinner to start the weeksurfjimboDined on 7/28/2014Two couples enjoyed a lovely outdoor dinner at Tannin on a recent Monday night. The restaurant is in an urban neighborhood, with the sidewalk tables providing interesting "people watching". Menu is not expansive, but does offer interesting choices in both small plates and entrees. There were several specials of the night. Service is friendly and knowledgable; though perhaps "hovering" a bit more than necessary. Wine list by the bottle is expansive! On the night we were there, all bottles $50 and under were buy 1, get one free. We will return!Special Features:
- The following 492 reviews are from the Tannin Wine Bar and Kitchen reviews archive.
- Wonderful dinnerCindiSDined on 7/25/2014All the food was delicious, and the wine recommendations from our waiter were spot on. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nonicknameVIPDined on 7/25/2014We ate here on a Friday night. It was a little early and kind of quiet but nice. We like to come here for the selection of wines by the glass so we can sample some. We started with the cheese plate which always has great accompaniments. My companion had the spinach salad and the small plate of pulled pork with corn fritters. I had the trout. Both were very good. He had the cookie dessert which he loves and i had the rum cake french toast. So good. Parking was easy this night, but can be challenging sometimes. Service was good. We enjoyed the evening.Special Features: