1043 Westwood Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90024Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.tanino.com/
- Phone: 3102080444x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Open For Dinner: Monday - Friday at 5:00pm and Sunday at 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Tanino Drago
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, BYO Liquor, Delivery, Fireplace, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Our professionally trained staff is prepared to take care of all your needs in planning the perfect party.
- Private Party Facilities: Elegantly situated in a historic building bursting with inspired and unusually appropriate original artwork and architecture, Tanino Ristorante and Bar offers unique spaces for private events and intimate dinners.
- Private Party Contact: Event Coordinator 8772337307
A word from Tanino
You will feel as if you've traveled back in time to Old Italy. Tanino Drago grew up in a small town in Sicily. His father made the family's wine, cheese and olive oil. His mother made the fresh pasta and bread. Tanino it seems was destined to master the art of fine Italian cuisine. He worked at his uncle's trattoria and studied at the Giarre Culinary School. It all comes together beautifully at Tanino's in Westwood. The Renaissance-style building was designed by Paul Williams and built in 1929.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Tanino - Best Restaurants in Westwood ›
Tanino reviews from OpenTable diners
74 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (29)neighborhood gem (29)romantic (25)special occasion (23)great for outdoor dining (17)notable wine list (15)great for lunch (13)good for groups (11)vibrant bar scene (2)late-night find (2)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Westwood SecretOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/31/2014Tanino has been in Westwood for years, and is consistently good. It's a 3 minute walk from the Geffen Theater, and a nice place for an early dinner before a show. Love the shaved artichoke salad (Insalata di Carciofi) and really love the Pappardelle with the Ragu! So yummy & comforting. You can tell the pasta is homemade. Might not be cooked a perfect al dente, but I'm happy to overlook that because the quality and the sauces are so delicious.Special Features:
- A lovely eveningrw2designDined on 8/30/2014We moved our table from the bar area, which is a bit noisy to a quieter room and it was lovely. Everyone loved their meals. It was a really lovely evening.Special Features:
- TANINO'S IS A SHORT TRIP TO ITALYValleyVillagerDined on 8/29/2014This was our second visit to this gorgeous, oh-so-Italian restaurant. It was just as lovely and friendly as the first time, about a year ago. The service - from the hostess who greeted us all the way down to the very efficient busboys - is warm and inviting. Although most of the staff is not really Italian, all of them make an attempt to speak at least a few words of that language, which I really appreciate. As before, the food was excellent and not horribly expensive. NOTE: There is a $5 parking lot behind the CVS, one block away, which we use because it's half-way to the Geffen, our ultimate destination.Special Features:
- over-pricedFlyerMikeDined on 8/24/2014Prices come to about $75 per person without wine or cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and locationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014The breaded Milanese is huge, be careful... Good for 2 Pasta and Speck are fantastic. NiceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DecentOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/16/2014Decent food but not worth the money. Service folks were very friendly. Nice decor. I have NYC standards, so I believe there is just as good food, even better, at lower prices. And that's in NY. I'm usually not a critical person, but LA is missing the mark.
- Close to the Geffen TheaterLSMFTDined on 8/12/2014We chose Tanino as it is within close walking distance to The Geffen Theater. The building is beautiful as it was built in 1929 and well maintained. Our wine was excellent and came from the owners own vineyard. Ask the waitress and she will tell you which ones they are. We were disappointed in our dish of pasta with eggplant and two cheeses. Pasta dishes are a big money maker for restaurants so you would think they could put a sizeable amount of cheese and at least be able to see and taste the eggplant, but not in this dish. Disappointing. We would go back again and give them another chance as the service was excellent.Special Features:
- Tanino was terrificDiner2Dined on 8/11/2014We had a lovely early dinner seated outside. Food and service were excellent. I had my go-to dish at this restaurant--fresh pappardelle and lamb ragout. My guests had seafood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RogetRogerVIPDined on 8/9/2014Always great. Everyone is so nice. Comfortable outdoorsSpecial Features:
- moderate experienceSaffi2050VIPDined on 8/8/2014This is a nice location if you are near Westwood. My Ceaser salad was "adequate" and should have been "great - no excuse. The pasta was very very good. The service extremely spotty. I had about 3 severs, like they could not make up their minds who was responsible for my table. I was sitting outdoors and it was impossible to catch someone's attention. Sort of ruined my meal. BUT that said, I would give it a try again.Special Features:
- Before the GeffenVeniceeatsVIPDined on 7/31/2014Perfect spot to eat before the theater. Baby artichoke salad is light and refreshing. The veal piccata was very tender and the veggies were done perfectly - fresh & crunchy. Wait staff is knowledgeable and efficient, hostess smiling and honoring my seating preferences. I prefer sitting in the room with the banquette seating - outside also looks pleasant. Nice experience!I would recommend this to a friend.
- We always have a great time!ImpressMePlzVIPDined on 7/23/2014My girlfriend and I LOVE coming here. Food's always great, price is right, and the service is both attentive & terrific (without being too nosy). One extra thing: the valet service. This last time, we were going to the Geffen Playhouse at 8, and worried about leaving the car with the valet. Would he be there when we came back? While we ate, he found us a great spot on the street. So when we finished eating, he gave us the keys. No worrying about hurrying back. Very cleverly & courteously done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Made Us Feel SpecialTangoDined on 7/16/2014Special occasion spot in Westwood. We went for lunch to celebrate a birthday and my friends return from her honeymoon. Food is delicious (we had the Dine L.A. specials - mushroom soup, caesar salad, and three of us had the chicken scallopine with different sauces). The interior with what looks like original fixtures, ceilings, etc. is a very cool spot. But what sets this place above the rest in Westwood is the extremely attentive service. Love the valet parking out front as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rome in the heart of WestwoodTaninoVIPDined on 7/15/2014May I say that this place has been a consistent hit for me for a "go to" real Italian food. This is what fine dining without all the trendy gimmicks is about. The experience is first class from the moment lovely hostess Angela greets you and escorts you to your table. Westwood has seen its ups and downs but this restaurant will not disappoint you. Great for a pre theater dinner, very romantic or just at the bar dining. Tanino's is my favorite of all the Drago brothers restaurants. Also, did I mention the wine list and the homade desserts?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a typical dinner due to ...148julesVIPDined on 7/5/2014private function in the main room. Appreciated the call in advance telling me about the private function so was not upset about being seated upstairs in an awkwardly laid out room. Food was excellent and great price points. Beef carpaccio was amazing. Rigatoni ala Norma was good but nothing special. Server was overworked by serving all the tables himself. As most of the diners including me, were heading to the Geffen Playhouse ... it was a mad rush to get bills settled! Not a great ending to an otherwise good dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food....poor service.AwinrmVIPDined on 7/1/2014The food is consistently good....this time on a Tuesday ugh they were short in service. Our server had an attitude and kept bringing wrong food to wrong tables. One of our favorite restaurants....won't go back for a while. New menu is not as good as old...many of our favorites....off the menu.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/1/2014I have been going to this restaurant for years but will not be returning after this last time. They used to have fabulous italian waiters--friendly & added so much atmosphere--they have changed the staff to their detriment--waiter got our order wrong--very slow. And on top of that we were told that we could leave our car in valet parking until 10:30 while we went to a local theater & when we returned at that time, they jacked up the price of the parking. Very very disappointing
- Mixed experienceSherylVIPDined on 6/29/2014The food and service were good but not exceptional (we waited 15 minutes for anyone to take our drink order). I had asked for a table in the back room which is quieter and where I have dined many times. But when I arrived I was told that tables there were unavailable because 1) the room was reserved for large groups and 2) anyone seated there had to order the $500 tasting menu! We were going to the Geffen after dinner. When we left after 1 3/4 hours that room was still dark with no one seated. Thankfully we were early since this restaurant would have more business if it weren't so terribly loud. Don't expect to visit when dining here during regular hours.
- Great before Geffen!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/29/2014We have season tickets to the Geffen and are always looking for good dining options nearby. Finally found this place and we all liked it. Good Italian Food and wine and the prices weren't too bad depending on what you got. We were very satisfied.Special Features:
- Did not meet expectationsmetrodinerDined on 6/28/2014Expectations were high. The place was busy when we arrived but we were seated quickly in 2 per table area; several other couples however declined to sit in this area and asked for another location. It was difficult for my wife and I to hear each other speak. House wine was mediocre, but our cured beef salad was excellent as was the bread. For our main course my wife had the whole bass, which was good, but not exceptional. Unfortunately, I chose very very poorly; the breaded veal cutlet, covered with melted mozzarella, was like bad pizza on bad crust. I'm particularly disappointed, because I'm sure they had many other dishes I would have enjoyed. That said, a restaurant of this quality just shouldn't have a dish on their menu this bad.
- Amazing Italian FarefuntoeatoutVIPDined on 6/26/2014Best pre-theater spot in Westwood. Hasn't lost it's authentic appeal through the years of change in the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could be greatjanetlpDined on 6/23/2014The ambiance is lovely, the staff attentive and the food was good. We had a lovely dinner last night, with only a couple of complaints. The first complaint, you might think is silly, is about their portions. They serve too much which results in a waste of food. Good food. My mom was able to split a dinner but I had to leave food on my plate - 1/2 of my fish and enough spinach for another serving. In this day of so many people overeating, at least offer a small size for those of us who don't want to eat for two. The second complaint, I'm waiting to discuss with the management. I'll post it if I don't hear back from the restaurant.
- terrible chicken main courseMargaretDined on 6/19/2014the special of the night, Thursday, was an inedible chicken, flattened to the consistency of cardboard. We have had many fine meals at Tanino's and would go back again but something went terribly wrong with that course.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dinner. food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/18/2014Wonderful atmosphere whether for a dinner with your significant other or girls night out. Everything we ordered was fresh and finely cooked. We go to Tanino's every time we have play tickets because it is our groups favorite restaurant and we have tried then all.Special Features:
- Mediocre food, poor serviceCCDINERVIPDined on 6/16/2014Dinner for four, restaurant half empty. Waiter so busy chatting with hostess, we had to constantly search for him. a friend had revommended the lasagna, which is still listed on website menu, but no longer available. Dungenus crabcakes were over -fried mush. The valet guys were excellent.
- Dinner b4 The GeffensunnystephDined on 6/13/2014Walking to distance to The Geffen Playhouse, delicious dinner! Their special salad with figs, prosciutto, arugula, burrata was heavenly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but beware of the billMerryDrinkerVIPDined on 6/9/2014I will no longer dine here with a group. Food is pretty good, but if you ask the waiter for anything, they will bring "extra" for the table - but then charge you for it! Our bill was double what it should've been. Tacky and shady. Feel so violated.Special Features:
- Fantastic as alwaysRanchmuttDined on 6/3/2014Food is delicious. Service is professional and prompt. The restaurant is warm and inviting. What more can you want!Special Features:
- The following 564 reviews are from the Tanino reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/19/20141/2 the tables were open when we arrived, but the manager insisted on cramming us in between two other tables, explaining "we are very bust tonight". On a Monday.... Refused to give us a decent table so we ate at the bar. All the same tables were still open when we left 1 1/2 hours later.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would dine here againjillannDined on 5/18/2014The ambience is lovely and very convenient for dinner before or after a show at the Geffen Playhouse. The cocktails and food were very good with some unique items worth trying. All the waiters were very attentive but we were the first to arrive and it felt like they were still warming up. Brought the wrong appetizer and forgot our salad but it was still ok and they made up for it on the bill. Would definitely go back again.Special Features:
- Work LunchLunch2goDined on 5/13/2014My friend and I took some family to Tanino two days ago for lunch. The food was fantastic. I had the fish special which was King Salmon. I guess they have a swordfish special that is amazing. My friend says he will sometimes call in advance hoping it is on the menu. He loves it. The service was great, and we were pretty much the only people in the restaurant. It made for a perfect lunch, but I assume the dinner crowd is much busier.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- consistently goodanonymous33Dined on 5/12/2014wonderful food and service. The mushroom soup was divineSpecial Features:
- Neihborhood GemOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 5/8/2014I always know that I will have a delicious meal in a pretty environment with fabulous service.Special Features:
- consistently wonderfulsuzieQDined on 5/8/2014This is our go to spot for dining before the theater, drinks after work and entertaining networking lunch. The staff is friendly and personable. The food is delicious, always (insalata di carciofi is a must as is the melanzane parmaggiana). They remember their clients, making one feel wanted and at home. When dining before the theater, they are very mindful of time limits and always punctual. Absolutely love the place and the people and the food is always good.Special Features:
- Pasta festPoldyVIPDined on 5/8/2014The pastas are wonderful. We had the pappardelle, the gnocchi and the baked spaghetti. All marvelous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food; too noisynaidatDined on 5/4/2014The noise level detracted from the experience. Also, service, which has been great in the past, was only ok. I think for such busy nights, they need more wait staff.Special Features:
- Fabulous!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/30/2014Tanino runs his place with a gentle and fracious hand. everyone feels like a special family member,Special Features:
- YUMMY!rugratrnVIPDined on 4/29/2014Excellent food, service and ambience! Will return for sure!Special Features:
- Great food and good serviceKenyawilDined on 4/25/2014I really enjoyed lunch here, but this is an example of overly polite service. The waiter didn't want to interrupt our conversation so it took 20 min for us to order. Our menus were sitting closed and we were taking as people who have lunch do. He could have easily come to the table and we would have stopped talking to order and then gone back to our convo. Other than that the restaurant was great and I would definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tanino never disappoints!PeteDined on 4/18/2014I work on the Westside and get to Tanino's a few times a year for lunch or dinner. My wife had never been. We had a prefect dinner. The food was excellent, as always. They have a tremendous wine selection with lots of reasonable good wines. The people and service are always perfect. Elena took care of us and she was always attentive and engaging. I have probably eaten at Tanino ten times and always had the same great experience. That is probably why the Drago family has do many long-standing locations in a business with a lot of turnover. The experience is great. Food and people are wonderful. Thanks to all at Tanino for a great dinner!Special Features: