Tango & Malbec
2800 Sage Road
Houston, TX 77056Neighborhood:
Galleria / Uptown
South AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Tango & Malbec
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.tangomalbec.com/
- Phone: 7136298646
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 3:00pm Dinner: Daily: 3:00pm - 11:00pm Sunday Brunch: 11:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Argentinean, South American
- Executive Chef: Valentin Garcia
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Delivery, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We offer private rooms up to 250 people. BBQ on site (South American style wood burning grill). Full buffet service. All service personnel.
- Private Party Facilities: The Montevideo Room serves up to 30 people and is perfect for company presentations. Screen, projector and independent sound available.
The Bs As Room serves up to 60 people for rehearsal dinners, company events and presentations . Screen, projector and independent sound available.
- Private Party Contact: Gina Percovich 7136298646
- Entertainment: Live Music and show featuring Tango music.
A word from Tango & Malbec
With its rustic and yet modern decor that is infused with the power and passion of Tango, diners can experience the flavors and warmth of Rio de la Plata - a unique cultural area shared by Uruguay and Argentina. The dining room faces the open uniquely Rio de la Plata-style kitchen with its Pecan and Mesquite wood-fire-grill. With its famous wood-fire grilled meats and fresh vegetables accompanied by the best of Malbec wines, Tango & Malbec is a great dining and entertainment experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Tango & Malbec reviews from OpenTable diners
126 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (58)romantic (55)notable wine list (47)fit for foodies (42)good for groups (32)great for lunch (20)neighborhood gem (14)great for brunch (13)great for outdoor dining (8)hot spot (7)vibrant bar scene (7)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Really fun!!ressieDined on 8/31/2014We very much enjoyed the food and the music at Brunch on Sunday. Our waiter was awesome and we had a great time.Special Features:
- Ok for elkOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/30/2014Enjoyed a juicy elk steak and my wife had the picanha cut of beef, all while we applauded the tango dancing. Fun evening out and great anniversary dinner. Oh, service was also top class, very attentive and friendly.Special Features:
- Great Argentinian restaurantHoustonDined on 8/30/2014We went to tango & Malbec for restaurant week. We enjoyed the atmosphere, the food, and the service. The wine recommended by the waiter was outstanding. We liked it so much, we made a reservation to celebrate my mom's birthday there, in a few weeksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch with friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/30/2014I went there for Houston Restaurant Week lunch with friends for the first time. The service was great. The food was good. I liked the restaurants decor and ambience. I'd come back and would recommend it to my friends.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014The lunch filet had clearly been previously wrapped in bacon. I hate that taste. I didn't complain, but considering I didn't eat my entree at all, it would have been nice if the wait staff or a manager would have stopped by to ask why. I paid for it because it was HRW so hopefully some good came out of it.
- Highly recommendedUptownLunchGroupDined on 8/25/2014Our group of 4 went for Houston Restaurant Month and had the three course special. Great value. The empanadas were the best I've had in Houston; the steak was wonderfully tender, and the flan was excellent with the dollop of caramel. We plan to return for the Sunday Brunch. Great atmosphere.Special Features:
- Love Tango and MalbecmapmakerDined on 8/23/2014Love this place. We've been for Restaurant Weeks and just to go out. The tango dancers are fun, different and not intrusive. You can watch if you want to, or just continue on with dinner. Food and service are outstanding. The waitstaff really knows its stuff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DinnertexastravellerDined on 8/23/2014We had a lovely dinner with friends and loved the fact that we could have a conversation without a lot of ambient noise. The service was excellent and we never felt rushed. Looking forward to going back soon.I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceSimoneDined on 8/23/2014I took my elderly parents on a Saturday to see the tango dancers. It really wasn't what we were expecting but the restaurant's floor plan was not designed for it. We hated leaving a tip due to our waiter but just couldn't do that to the servers who brought us our meal, they were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/22/2014The food was delicious and the service was exceptional. The best part for me though was the guitarist. My husband and I went on a Friday night and were treated to a very skilled performance. It made our night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Vino & Atmosphere!MissMarVIPDined on 8/22/2014Great selection of wine! The appetizer of ceviche and lobster bisque was great & love the homemade chips brought to the table first. The main course (spinach canelones & filet mignon) and dessert (4 leches) were fine, but will try something else. The atmosphere was GREAT though. I would definitely return!Special Features:
- Great food and great musicantchamDined on 8/22/2014Enjoy the ambiance of Argentine dining with tasty regional food while guitar music beautifully played fills the air.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dance and Winedevonia58Dined on 8/21/2014Tango and Malbec provides a very inviting setting for our gathering. Nice bar area and warm dining area encourage conversation. Service was very attentive without being over done. Food quality and variety are exceptional and the open concept kitchen is a very entertaining.Special Features:
- Skimpy for HRWOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/21/2014The food was good but they definitely skimped with the HRW menu. I got the surf and turf which was steak and scallops. The scallops were about as big around as a nickel and I had one and a half on my plate. The meat was tinder. The service was excellent but it was an early dinner and we were the only table sat in the room. The ceviche and the 4 leches were both delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty TastyscubalizardDined on 8/20/2014This is the second time I went here, this time with the HRW menu, we were not let down. Our server was very knowledgeable and helped us decide on a wine. since it was HRW it was a bit noisy, but nothing we couldn't talk over. Food was outstanding and presented wonderfully.Special Features:
- Nice Timer2mdinerDined on 8/20/2014Took my adult daughter out to dinner, food was very good, serviced matched the food. The waiter made an excellent wine recommendation and even though my steak was over cooked, he took care of that an comped. the desert for that error. I will return.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/20/2014Attended at lunch for HRW, disappointed that menu did not depict my entree as presented/expected. Menu noted chicken fried steak, was expecting beef, dish was actually a chicken cutlet, similar to chicken parmesan.
- Tango & Malbec lackinglovenewmenusDined on 8/16/2014Went with a group of 7 for dinner. It was our first trip and a few of our guests who have been to Argentina several times were hoping for a great South American meal. Overall, the experience was ho-hum. The atmosphere was OK - a bit bright (though the staff dimmed the lights at our request). Enjoyed the couple tangoing around the restaurant - added to the atmosphere. Service was mediocre. The empanadas were amazing. Entrees were fair - steak portion seemed underweight (8oz filet looked like a 4 oz filet) and the scallops were the size of quarters. 4 leches was to die for. The restaurant was out of the Malbec we ordered - and suggested a blend substitute. Overall, I'd give this restaurant a "fair" and will probably not go back.
- Fair experienceReview84Dined on 8/14/2014Very friendly staff, great service over all. The food was a little disappointing but it could have been because I ordered from the resturant week menu. I do not recommend the ceviche or grouper. The surf and turf was good but the portion was a little small. The quatro leches was amazing.Special Features:
- Great place for a special occasionLuv2wineDined on 8/14/2014Celebrated my birthday during Houston Restaurant week and enjoyed the 3 course meal. The filet mignon was tiny, but with the other courses, I was satisfied and full. A male may want to order their other meat selections from the menu. Great atmosphere, live entertainment, and friendly service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disrespect for HRW customersFlinkmarmotDined on 8/13/2014We went for Houston Restaurant week and were disappointed by the very small portions of entree and dessert. The scallops topping the tiny filet were the size of cocktail onions. The waiter ignored us to the point we did not order the second bottle of wine we had considered. The profiterole was hard and stale; the replacement dessert was also hard and stale. The waiter brought the check without offering us an opportunity to order coffee, then we were ignored (no water refill) til we paid. We won't be back. There are many better Argentinian restaurants.
- Excellent ServicefoodieNo7Dined on 8/13/2014Went for HRW and was happy that we chose this Restuarant. The service was great and fast. The spinach empanada was amazing! There was a slight mix up in what a chicken fried steak was but our server and the manager were able to bring us out an actually chicken fried steak in minutes and the Flan de coco was simply amazing. Overall we had a wonderful experience and will be coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time - not impressedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/10/2014Decided to check out the lunch for HRW on Sunday...turns out they only have the brunch available. Started with the sausage...there was literally one small sausage, which tasted very average, surrounded by different kinds of potatoes. Main course was the salmon with poached eggs. Salmon was unevenly cooked with some parts tasting more fishy than others, the eggs were alright, but pancake like thing it sat on was very bland, no real flavor to it. Asked for some hot sauce to add flavor to the food and was handed habaneo sauce...which was ridicoulously spicy! Couldnt use more than a small drop! The best part of the meal was the side salad that came with dish. Overall, not impressed with my first visit.Special Features:
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/9/2014We love coming here for special occasions, it's upscale and worth it!Special Features:
- Third time not as goodCouplesniteoutDined on 8/9/2014Our previous dinners were outstanding; this visit was not quite as satisfying. Tiny, tiny meat serving. Service was as usual very attentive. Wine was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014Excellent food and service. The waiter very nice .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Nice Surpriseneversayno2chocolateDined on 8/9/2014We tried this place during restaurant weeks and were pleasantly surprised. We went in on a Saturday night and the tables filled up quickly so I would recommend a reservation. We both had a filet with a scollop from the prefix menu. The steak was wonderful, tender, and perfectly cooked. The scallop (it only came with one) was perfectly cooked and perfectly seasoned. The dessert, 4 leches, was better than any tres leches I've had. The server was very attentive in the beginning, before it got busy, but then we had to flag him down for our check. He suggested a very nice bottle of wine that we really enjoyed. Overall, this was a fine dining experience. We will go back again.Special Features:
- Charming restaurant in bold colorsSunroppiDined on 8/9/2014Lunch menu was good except the mahi-mahi was a bit undercooked. Everything else was delicious and our waitstaff was friendly and attentive. We requested more bread sticks with our lobster bisque but the bus boy never brought any back. Mojito was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just Tango....no MalbecMELLODined on 8/8/2014Our third trip to the restaurant.....the food is okay, BUT.....they didn't have the Malbec wine that we wanted listed in the wine menu. The waiter recommended another wine that's a few dollars more....if you don't have what we ask for, give me something at the same price! What's $2 ? What was really disappointing was my wife ordered a 'Restaurant Menu' item, 'Surf and Turf'. I have to say.....it was the smallest piece of meat that I have ever seen.....it was smaller than a McDonald's 'Quarter Pounder', and I am not exaggerating!....smaller than a deck of cards! Come on! Argentines are big beef eaters. BTW......surprisingly my ceviche appetizer was good for an Argentinian restaurant.
- aielinnaeDined on 8/8/2014I understand that lunch time can be very hectic for restaurants, particularly lunches during HRW. But at various times the staff seemed overwhelmed and unsure of what needed to be done. We actually had to flag a waiter down to find out why we had been waiting 30-odd minutes for our entree after the appetizer had been cleared. There was not an apology, but a snide comment, 'do you NEED anything else?'Special Features:
- Great fooddmwnDined on 8/8/2014the food was great. I came with coworkers for Houston Restaurant Week, and the sampling was delicious. I had the chicken dish, empanadas, and flan for dessert. The flan was one of the best I've had, what made it different was the toasted shaved coconut on top with extra caramel on the side. The chicken milanesa was not was I expected since someone told me traditionally it is with a fried cracker crust, not to say it wasn't good, because the fried chicken breasts were delish, just not the crust I expected. It was plentiful, I got two pieces of chicken and could only finish one. I would come again to try other dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food at bar. Not good serviceMattVIPDined on 8/6/2014Good food at the bar but not good service. Even though my date and sat at the bar (not very busy) we were ignored at times including not given menus early on, lack of service and then we sat with empty dishes in front of us at the end.Special Features:
- Good food and serviceadrialopDined on 8/5/2014I went to the restaurant for Houston restaurant week and the food was excellent and the service was good. Great place for a special ocassion. The noise level was a little high for me but overall the experience was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The big decline at Tango & MalbecAlbertokiDined on 8/5/2014Big disappointment after prior success. My "very rare Uruguayan filet" was butterflied and medium-medium rare. My wife's "butterflied and well done" was butterflied and medium. They purported to change them and brought back the same ones but now cold. A bait and switch on complementary dessert was expensive. We were offered a complementary birthday dessert and handed dessert menus. Then a complementary dessert was served and later the ones we ordered. The Malbec wine was good. We will not return and will stop recommending it as the best steak house in Houston.
- PHENOMENALNikkiEatsDined on 8/4/2014My cousin and I decided to visit Tango and Malbec to kick off Houston Restaurant Weeks, but once we got there we opted for the main menu because of the many items we just had to try. We started with Las Tiernas (crispy veal sweetbreads), Ceviche and Sochori (Argentinian sausage). We were full (and tipsy) before our HUGE entrees came out. The sweetbreads were so delish. T&M's variation of ceviche was super fresh and unlike the chopped versions, provided bigger pieces of fish, with just the right acidity. The sochori was nice and tender. It definitely surprised me. We then had Ostrich Milanesa Patagonica. I never had ostrich before, but I will again! And the Camabalache was enough for two days. The 4 Leches was a perfect ending.Special Features:
- Yummy yum yumOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/3/2014Yummy yum yum to my tummy tum tum. Decided to go last min with my wife on a Sunday. The menu was interesting and delicious. We had a both and the vibe was quite intimate. We took our time and never felt rushed. We finished with desert and a digestive. Perfect.Special Features:
- dingsterVIPDined on 8/3/2014Came for HRW. Ceviche app was great, but other 2 courses did not impress. The surf and turf's filet mignon was bland. Scallop was of a tiny portion. The grouper had a funny smell, and when I inquired the waiter about it, he merely said it was from Canada. Desserts were mediocre.
- okay but probably never returnJKHouDined on 8/3/2014I found my grouper entree to be undercooked and the mussels on top tasted funny. Dessert was the 4 Leches cake but I think they put 7 minute frosting on top, didn't mix it long enough, the sugar was still grainy. Wine was excellent so if went back, would be to just drink at the bar.Special Features:
- ok but not stellarluvmyvittlesDined on 8/2/2014Food good but beef salty and grouper must not have been more than an ounce of fish, an extreme disappointment as far as quantity. The rest of the meal was very good but if this was a showing of their food I would most likely not go back. Maybe if they are charging their regular rates and not Houston Restaurant Weeks specials they are more generous for a much higher price but that still does not take care of the over salting of the beef.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/2/2014The atmosphere was great, very romantic, nice music and wine selection, but the steak was chewy...Special Features: