Tango & Malbec
2800 Sage Road
Houston, TX 77056Neighborhood:
Galleria / Uptown
South AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Tango & Malbec
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.tangomalbec.com/
- Phone: (713) 629-8646
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 3:00pm Dinner: Daily: 3:00pm - 11:00pm Sunday Brunch: 11:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Argentinean, South American
- Executive Chef: Valentin Garcia
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Delivery, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We offer private rooms up to 250 people. BBQ on site (South American style wood burning grill). Full buffet service. All service personnel.
- Private Party Facilities: The Montevideo Room serves up to 30 people and is perfect for company presentations. Screen, projector and independent sound available.
The Bs As Room serves up to 60 people for rehearsal dinners, company events and presentations . Screen, projector and independent sound available.
- Private Party Contact: Gina Percovich 7136298646
- Entertainment: Live Music and show featuring Tango music.
A word from Tango & Malbec
With its rustic and yet modern decor that is infused with the power and passion of Tango, diners can experience the flavors and warmth of Rio de la Plata - a unique cultural area shared by Uruguay and Argentina. The dining room faces the open uniquely Rio de la Plata-style kitchen with its Pecan and Mesquite wood-fire-grill. With its famous wood-fire grilled meats and fresh vegetables accompanied by the best of Malbec wines, Tango & Malbec is a great dining and entertainment experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Tango & Malbec reviews from OpenTable diners
121 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (58)romantic (51)notable wine list (50)fit for foodies (42)good for groups (35)neighborhood gem (22)great for lunch (19)great for brunch (10)vibrant bar scene (9)hot spot (9)late-night find (8)great for outdoor dining (5)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Great food and service but at a costOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/22/2014Great food, really great. This may be the best place for a quality cut of beef in Houston. Wonderful selections and cooked to perfection. Service level is outstanding and the entire experience is very upscale. I've had lunch and dinner here and con recommend both without hesitation. This is a little pricey. For dinner, be prepared to spend about $100 a person. You could cut some corners and bring that down but this is not the place to cut corners. Lunch will come in around $20 a person. It's worth every penny.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner and wine!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014My girlfriend and I were in the galleria area and wanted to try something different. I found Tango & Malbec online and we decided to give it a try. The staff was very atentative and food was great. We each shared a seafood and a steak from the grill. Great food and service combined with great wine selection made our Saturday night amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful birthday celebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/22/2014We celebrated my birthday with a family lunch. The ambience, service and food were all fabulous! We had a wonderful time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbEllenVVIPDined on 11/11/2014Enrique is not a waiter - he is an experience. Chris and the entire team are always wonderful. My husband and I choose Tango & Malbec for romantic dinners, when we want to impress a client or just stop in at the bar for a quick bite. The food is unique and fantastic. Service is always spot on for whatever the occasion. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- Nice ambience, good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/7/2014Food was great. The live music was wonderful. It said on their website that there would be tango dancers but there weren't any. It was my birthday, and I had indicated that I am allergic to gluten but they brought out a tres leches cake for me that I obviously couldn't eat. I wish they would have been more accomodating with my allergy. That was my only complaint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exotic tastesDarkseidDined on 11/7/2014We had elk and lamb which were spectacular. We had choices of wild boar, buffalo and several exotic beef dishes. Excellent waivers and bartenders. We will definitely go back for special occasions!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Cut Abovewinendine84Dined on 11/6/2014T & M offers a great, diverse selection of quality steaks, and an excellent wine list to pair.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food but noisySouthTexasBritDined on 10/22/2014The food was great, the service the right combination of attentive but not intrusive. I would not ever eat outside because just walking through the outdoor area was so thick with smoke that my clothing smelled just getting to the door. The noise level made it a little difficult to hear my dining companion, and with the waiter's heavy accent, it was impossible to hear him at all. I still have no clue what the specials were. As for "Argentina", well not so much. I spent many years there, and it did not inspire me to nostalgia for those days. Overall, it was an exceptional dining experience, I would go there again on my next trip to Houston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty darn good - MEATeatoutDined on 10/21/2014This is a pretty good twist on a steak house...unique but also familiar. Chimichurri goes with anything! Great service. Excellent quality beef. Nice cocktails and decent wine pours. Friendly service. Highly recommend for a business dinner.Special Features:
- Good food with trap on the billAguiarVIPDined on 10/17/2014The food, atmosphere are authentic latin America. Awesome. I can’t say the same of the service. The guy who served on our table was always in a hurry. I felt uncomfortable. The served wine in our glasses like we feed grass in our home with a hose. I was hungry, I ordered a 14 once Bife de Chorizo with La Rusa Salad. They were perfect. The meet was perfect cooked. The wine list is also very good. A plus was the live music, like a good Argentine restaurant should have. The atmosphere was really pleasant. The bill came with 18% “Gratuity” already included. The service did not deserve that, but we decided to pay. When the credit card slip came for our signature it was asking for “gratuity” again. It is a trap. Also it is overpriced.Special Features:
- Unexpected PleasureTUGX273VIPDined on 10/17/2014The food, abidance and Live music were an unexpected pleasure. Our waitress was beyond knowledgeable about the wine list and menu.Special Features:
- PevishPevishDined on 10/17/2014Attended an after work event here and the appetizers were amazingly good so we gave it a try for dinner. My wife had an incredible trout dish that was delicious. I went the lamb route and it too was flavorful with delicious side items. They offer live entertainment that is a nice touch vs most restaurants and the volume is not overdone. Very nice date night dinner spot.Special Features:
- A happy birthdayTRHADined on 9/13/2014We went to T&M to celebrate my birthday in a big group. The food, the music, and the service were all good. I wish the sides were more inspired and maybe more South American (as opposed to the veggies that you can find anywhere). The empanadas were absolutely delicious. I do think it's a little pricy, the bill for two (with drinks) was for $200.Special Features:
- DisappointingHTownLivesDined on 9/13/2014We picked the restaurant based on past experience of interesting and excellent food and wine to host a special guest for dinner. In this case, we were disappointed in the meal, the service and especially the value received for the price.Special Features:
- Excellent food, dessert and wineAleNelsonDined on 9/12/2014We selected this restaurant because a good friend recommended us. We ordered De los 50, it is a typical Argentinean parrilla, and the beef was excellent, and it was cooked exactly as we ordered (medium rare). iIt came with grilled vegetables on the side, and its were prefect cooked. The dessert, a warm bread pudding, was simply delicious. I am a professional patissiere and pay a lot of attention to the desserts, and it was great. Great food, great wine, great dessert, great ambiance, and great music.Special Features:
- Outstanding DinnerCEPHoustonDined on 9/10/2014The best experience I have had it a long time. 24 oz Filet was the best we have ever had. Romantic and interesting clientel. A nice surprise birthday dessert for my girlfriend's birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Espectacular!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/8/2014I really loved this restaurant. I'm visiting Houston and I found this restaurant to be a highlight and a must go. I went with a few co-workers whom were trying South American food for the first time and they were impressed as well. A good variety of foods, wines and drinks. As a south american I can definitely say everything was delicious from beginning to end.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014great food , great selection of wine, perfect setting for date nightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good choice for grass fed beefRomneypolDined on 9/6/2014I liked the fact that all the beef they serve is grass fed. The flavor was very great and good choice of different cuts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Argentinarrific!NMHazeliisDined on 8/31/2014This place is tucked away in a strip mall kitty corner from the large Galleria and happily located near a number of hotels including the DoubleTree and the JW Marriott, and it features exceptional grilled meats and other Argentine fare. Though I would have loved it if they offered half bottles of some of their wines (they don't) the delicious steaks can be paired with really great wines. I recommend the Pascual Toso Reserve. The staff is attentive, kind, professional and bilingual. I have a very positive meal and experience.Special Features:
- Really fun!!ressieDined on 8/31/2014We very much enjoyed the food and the music at Brunch on Sunday. Our waiter was awesome and we had a great time.Special Features:
- Ok for elkFleetwoodfoodieVIPDined on 8/30/2014Enjoyed a juicy elk steak and my wife had the picanha cut of beef, all while we applauded the tango dancing. Fun evening out and great anniversary dinner. Oh, service was also top class, very attentive and friendly.Special Features:
- Great Argentinian restaurantHoustonDined on 8/30/2014We went to tango & Malbec for restaurant week. We enjoyed the atmosphere, the food, and the service. The wine recommended by the waiter was outstanding. We liked it so much, we made a reservation to celebrate my mom's birthday there, in a few weeksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch with friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/30/2014I went there for Houston Restaurant Week lunch with friends for the first time. The service was great. The food was good. I liked the restaurants decor and ambience. I'd come back and would recommend it to my friends.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014The lunch filet had clearly been previously wrapped in bacon. I hate that taste. I didn't complain, but considering I didn't eat my entree at all, it would have been nice if the wait staff or a manager would have stopped by to ask why. I paid for it because it was HRW so hopefully some good came out of it.
- Highly recommendedUptownLunchGroupDined on 8/25/2014Our group of 4 went for Houston Restaurant Month and had the three course special. Great value. The empanadas were the best I've had in Houston; the steak was wonderfully tender, and the flan was excellent with the dollop of caramel. We plan to return for the Sunday Brunch. Great atmosphere.Special Features:
- Love Tango and MalbecmapmakerDined on 8/23/2014Love this place. We've been for Restaurant Weeks and just to go out. The tango dancers are fun, different and not intrusive. You can watch if you want to, or just continue on with dinner. Food and service are outstanding. The waitstaff really knows its stuff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DinnertexastravellerDined on 8/23/2014We had a lovely dinner with friends and loved the fact that we could have a conversation without a lot of ambient noise. The service was excellent and we never felt rushed. Looking forward to going back soon.I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceSimoneDined on 8/23/2014I took my elderly parents on a Saturday to see the tango dancers. It really wasn't what we were expecting but the restaurant's floor plan was not designed for it. We hated leaving a tip due to our waiter but just couldn't do that to the servers who brought us our meal, they were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/22/2014The food was delicious and the service was exceptional. The best part for me though was the guitarist. My husband and I went on a Friday night and were treated to a very skilled performance. It made our night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Vino & Atmosphere!MissMarVIPDined on 8/22/2014Great selection of wine! The appetizer of ceviche and lobster bisque was great & love the homemade chips brought to the table first. The main course (spinach canelones & filet mignon) and dessert (4 leches) were fine, but will try something else. The atmosphere was GREAT though. I would definitely return!Special Features:
- Great food and great musicantchamDined on 8/22/2014Enjoy the ambiance of Argentine dining with tasty regional food while guitar music beautifully played fills the air.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dance and Winedevonia58Dined on 8/21/2014Tango and Malbec provides a very inviting setting for our gathering. Nice bar area and warm dining area encourage conversation. Service was very attentive without being over done. Food quality and variety are exceptional and the open concept kitchen is a very entertaining.Special Features:
- Skimpy for HRWOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/21/2014The food was good but they definitely skimped with the HRW menu. I got the surf and turf which was steak and scallops. The scallops were about as big around as a nickel and I had one and a half on my plate. The meat was tinder. The service was excellent but it was an early dinner and we were the only table sat in the room. The ceviche and the 4 leches were both delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty TastyscubalizardDined on 8/20/2014This is the second time I went here, this time with the HRW menu, we were not let down. Our server was very knowledgeable and helped us decide on a wine. since it was HRW it was a bit noisy, but nothing we couldn't talk over. Food was outstanding and presented wonderfully.Special Features:
- Nice Timer2mdinerDined on 8/20/2014Took my adult daughter out to dinner, food was very good, serviced matched the food. The waiter made an excellent wine recommendation and even though my steak was over cooked, he took care of that an comped. the desert for that error. I will return.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/20/2014Attended at lunch for HRW, disappointed that menu did not depict my entree as presented/expected. Menu noted chicken fried steak, was expecting beef, dish was actually a chicken cutlet, similar to chicken parmesan.
- Tango & Malbec lackinglovenewmenusDined on 8/16/2014Went with a group of 7 for dinner. It was our first trip and a few of our guests who have been to Argentina several times were hoping for a great South American meal. Overall, the experience was ho-hum. The atmosphere was OK - a bit bright (though the staff dimmed the lights at our request). Enjoyed the couple tangoing around the restaurant - added to the atmosphere. Service was mediocre. The empanadas were amazing. Entrees were fair - steak portion seemed underweight (8oz filet looked like a 4 oz filet) and the scallops were the size of quarters. 4 leches was to die for. The restaurant was out of the Malbec we ordered - and suggested a blend substitute. Overall, I'd give this restaurant a "fair" and will probably not go back.
- Fair experienceReview84Dined on 8/14/2014Very friendly staff, great service over all. The food was a little disappointing but it could have been because I ordered from the resturant week menu. I do not recommend the ceviche or grouper. The surf and turf was good but the portion was a little small. The quatro leches was amazing.Special Features:
- Great place for a special occasionLuv2wineDined on 8/14/2014Celebrated my birthday during Houston Restaurant week and enjoyed the 3 course meal. The filet mignon was tiny, but with the other courses, I was satisfied and full. A male may want to order their other meat selections from the menu. Great atmosphere, live entertainment, and friendly service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.