2138 Hilhurst Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90027Neighborhood:
KoreanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.tangierbbq.com/
- Phone: 3236632000
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Korean, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Norio Yoshikawa
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Private room seats up to 16 people.
- Private Party Contact: Andrew Lee 2135507551
A word from Tangier
Korean BBQ restaurant with authentic Korean cuisine and some Japanese inspired dishes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Tangier reviews from OpenTable diners
- Korean BBQ for beginnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/6/2013The staff here is simply amazing, very attentive. They used very high quality meats. However the ventallation is horrible, the whole room is a smoke den. The price could be a little better.Special Features:
- Fun place, good food.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/15/2013The cuts of meat are very good and the staff is extremely friendly. The interactive nature of cooking your own food on the grill built into the table makes it more fun than the typical restaurant experience. I've had several good dining experiences here and keep going back.Special Features:
- The meat you BBQ is amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/9/2013The meat you BBQ is amazing! Service wise, their very nice but it takes a while for them to bring anything you order, from drinks to another order of meat. The food makes up for it though, must go amd make sure you do all you can eat! 25 a personSpecial Features:
- All You Can Eat Meat!Budala56Dined on 2/5/2013Fun vibe, if you love meat this is your place! Service a little slow, but once we got our waiter's attention, he was charming. Noisy in the traditional of rockin' sushi bars (lots of yelling greetings) and music very eclectic - everything from disco hits like "I Will Survive" to Christmas carols and electronica. Recommend if you are looking for something different in the Los Feliz area - and they have their own non-valet parking behind the restaurant - bazynga!Special Features:
- It's grill yourself conceptOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/5/2013It's grill yourself concept does not coincide with restaurant facility. Absent of hoods which could help eliminate smoke tremendously, made the restaurant too smoky and leave you smell like a bbq. In other hand, service is great with all the servers attending all the tables without being assigned to specific tables. one less step to have to ask to call your server. Food is not upto standard but, manga concept is interesting enough to lure you in.Special Features:
- I went here because of a dealOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/4/2013I went here because of a deal through living social. The food was just okay. They really didn't serve much side dishes. And the regular price seemed pricier than what most Korean AYCE BBQs charge. The wait staff were extremely nice and attentive so that was a plus. But I don't think I will be going back again.
- Meat lovers uniteOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/29/2013Love the all you can eat feature. Perfect for us 18 year olds!Special Features:
- Loved the food. Very friendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/27/2013Loved the food. Very friendly servers but not a little on a slow side. Ventilation should be taken care of as well as their grill. Feels like their grills were meant for ceramic charcoals to be put in the middle, but since there aren't, the flame/heat is very uneven. Again, the meats were really good and good presentations.Special Features:
- Very tasty food. The boothsOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/25/2013Very tasty food. The booths have very nice seating the open seating is uncomfortable.Special Features:
- I went for the first timeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/4/2013I went for the first time for lunch and was utterly displeased. I made a reservation for 1:00 and was waiting around to be seated for about 30 minutes. There were no chairs or a seating area so my mom (age 75) was having trouble standing for that long of a period of time. There were several areas that were closed off for lunch but there were three other groups of people waiting to be seated as I was. The all you can eat lunches and dinners are great! But, finally getting seated at 1:30 and then lunch time, the kitchen closes at 2:00 made it difficult to enjoy (and was hesitant in giving a party of four, more than one order of food as the last call). They are seeming to overbook and under deliver from this last experience.
- Not organized and bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/30/2012Very poor. The hostesses need to be organized when it comes to checking in people and know who is the next person or group for a table. We arrived an 1/2 early from the time we RSVP. The wait time was one hour of wait time for a table and the hostesses forgot that we had reservations. The are also very pricey. I never plan to go to that restaurant again and I am not giving recommendations for my friends and family to attend this restaurant .Special Features:
- This was my second time there,OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/13/2012This was my second time there, the food, drinks, and service were great! The only issue I have is the lack Of ventilation. There was so much smoke you could see it when you walked in the place.Special Features:
- One server only at lunchtime.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/8/2012One server only at lunchtime. He said he was not really a server but they there was no help. Lame.
- Pricey, even with the grouponOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/31/2012Pricey, even with the groupon i had. But I enjoyed everything else.Special Features:
- FIRST OF ALL, HARD TO MAKEOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/28/2012FIRST OF ALL, HARD TO MAKE A RESERVATION BY PHONE..NO ONE ANSWERS HARDLY. IF YOU ANSWERED YOUR PHONE DURING THE DAY TIME, YOU WOULD HAVE MORE BUSINESS. SECONDLY, ALL RESTAURANTS ALLOW YOU TO BRING IN A CAKE FOR A BIRTHDAY PARTY. VERY DISAPPOINTED. NO, WE WON'T BE BACK AGAIN.
- Great food. The selectionOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/26/2012Great food. The selection of meat was limited, but the texture and flavor was amazing!!! And the side dishes kept coming! The waiters were always ready to service us. It was a great experience!Special Features:
- This was our second visitOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/20/2012This was our second visit to Tangier. Last time we had a party of three and this time a party of six. We had a table with two grills which was great for our larger group!Special Features:
- Super fun place to try!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/19/2012A great experience. You can cook your meats to your preference. They have a host of delicious and fresh veggies and side items to accommodate your various meat choices. Have been three times now and each time gets better. Excellent Sake and nice range of beer selection! Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Tangier is great for groupsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/18/2012Tangier is great for groups because of the at-table-grill experience. All of the meats were seasoned/marinated well and the presentations were nice.Special Features:
- The food was tasty. We gotOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/8/2012The food was tasty. We got the all you can eat per person. I recommend the potato salad side, it was delicious we ordered about three servings of it. We had a groupon so we only paid for drinks which we're a little expensive but big. Service was very nice and attentive. The ambience, it's a little too bright in there but the artwork on the walls is pretty cool to look at. Th grill gets feisty and we thought we'd get burned, a little scary but fun. =)Special Features:
- For an all-you-can-eat KoreanstuatudeDined on 10/8/2012For an all-you-can-eat Korean bbq the meat portions were slightly smaller than some of the establishments in Korea Town but the service was superior and they happily returned to the table often with more plates. They also have a full bar which is hard to find at some of the establishments in Korea Town. Several of the staff came out to sing happy birthday to my niece which was fun for her.Special Features:
- expensive for an AYCE kbbqOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/6/2012expensive for an AYCE kbbq but worth the try with the groupon discount. service is really good.
- Friendly and helpful waitAChuVIPDined on 10/6/2012Friendly and helpful wait service. Food was also good with Groupon deal, otherwise, could be a little expensive.Special Features:
- Good and plentiful food butyntbomVIPDined on 9/28/2012Good and plentiful food but a bit loud...as they yell a greeting anytime someone comes/goes. I guess that's part of the "charm" of the Korean BBQ place...but it gets a bit annoying.Special Features:
- Food was great. Made sureOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/25/2012Food was great. Made sure you were pretty full. The all you can eat specials are worth it.Special Features:
- Too much for too little.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/23/2012I found Tangier steeply overpriced for what it was. What it was a D.I.Y. novelty dining experiences. The portions were miniscule for the money. $35 for a what amounted to a single lunch was shocking. It was novel, and my son thought it was fun to cook, but we can do that at home and not feel gouged.
- Food was good but thoughtOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/23/2012Food was good but thought the lunch was a bit pricey. We ordered 3 non-alcoholic drinks with the $15.99 lunch. After using a voucher for $24 off, we were still $40 something plus tip. Thought that was a bit pricey for lunch.
- Kalbi LoveOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/22/2012Love the food! The all-you-can-eat was awesome! We couldn't get enough of the Kalbi. The service was polite and hospitable. And the decor, specifically lighting and table setting, is very nice.Special Features:
- Something you will never forget!avalienDined on 9/22/2012Very good food and fun time. Although we could enjoy ourselves if they did less yelling but that part of it's charm? Other wise great time!Special Features:
- I love this place!! They haveOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/17/2012I love this place!! They have fantastic high quality korean bbq. The all you can eat deal is the best. Note that it is expensive, but you are paying for high quality meat!Special Features:
- Quality of the meat was excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/15/2012Quality of the meat was excellent very friendly staff and very cool bartenderSpecial Features:
- Fully satisfiedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/7/2012Dinner was delicious, fun to cook, and service was amazing. It has aple parking. I will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Very friendly staff. TheGlendaDined on 9/4/2012Very friendly staff. The service was GREAT. All the meat tasted fresh and good.Special Features:
- AYCE Korean BBQ should beOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/2/2012AYCE Korean BBQ should be about the food, not about presentation. I mean come on only a few side dishes and charging for rice. I prefer a large quantity of meat not a small amount of meat. This place has good quality meat, but to me it was not marinated well. It was a experience to go to something new, but I shall not experience this place again.
- Great Dinner Out with Older KidsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/2/2012We arrived, received a warm greeting and were seated promptly. My teenage children were with me and they enjoyed the full size robots that made up part of the decor. We had a great time using our personal grill to fix the meat. All of the food, vegetable plate, sides, and meat was delicious. The staff was attentive and very helpful.Special Features:
- Great place, great service,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/20/2012Great place, great service, wonderful decor! Very fun to grill your own food, and a great selection of meats and veggies to choose from.. I will be going back very soon!Special Features:
- Services was a little slow.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/19/2012Services was a little slow. Did not have the variety of sides dishes as other Korean restaurants.Special Features:
- What a Great Find!!OCFoodiesVIPDined on 8/16/2012We trusted the OT ratings for Tangier before we headed up to The Greek last night and made a reservation for dinner! THANK YOU!! The manager and waitstaff is having a great time, and goes out of their way to make sure guests get everything they could hope for -- very gracious and attentive without being a nuisance (an art, in my opinion!). We opted for the $25 pp all-you-can-eat menu, which gives you a wide variety of meats (chicken, short ribs, tenderloin, pork) as well as lots of great veggies to throw onto the grill, tasty sauces, AND all-you-can-eat sides (kimchi, radish, jalapenos, etc). We each had a specialty cocktail -- a little overpriced, and didn't quite hit our palates, but acceptable. We will be back! Greek proximate is a +Special Features:
- The grill did not fit overOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/15/2012The grill did not fit over the burner very well and only the center was hot. We were told they ran out of side dishes after 30 mins of sitting down. I guess they run out of side dishes after 9 p.m.? How do you run out of Kim Chee at a Korean BBQ restaurant? Not enough meat selection but what we selected were seasoned well and tender. Also liked the chicken strips but did not order again because the cooking space on the grill was so small and only the center was hot. Really wanted to like this place because the wait staff and hostess was so nice.
- Not you typical korean bbqOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/15/2012Not you typical korean bbq joint, more Japanese style korean bbq similar to Gyu-Kaku. Selection of meat is limited, prices a bit on the higher side and limited dipping sauce. Nice ambiance with a very trendy feel. Great plating and everything is nicely laid out. Meat quality is also great, but lacking in flavor. Good for purist. There were 7 adults in our party and we prefer Gyu- Kaku over this one for japanese style Korean bbq because they have better dipping sauces and more variety plus great happy hour prices. The bbq is also gas without charcoal, vs charcoal and gas at gyu-kaku.