2002 N. main St.
Santa Ana, CA 92706Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.patinagroup.com/tangata
- Phone: 7145500906x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, French
- Executive Chef: Gregg Wiele
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: The romantic fountains, ﬂower gardens and mission-style architecture of The Bowers Museum in Santa Ana provide a quintessential Southern California setting for any event. From elegant dinners to business meetings, wedding receptions to holiday gatherings, The Bowers Museum offers spaces to make any event memorable, and Patina Catering will create a custom menu to perfectly suit your event’s needs.
To receive more information about our catering and private event options at this location and off-site, please contact our catering sales manager Candice Wood | 714 567 3630
A word from Tangata
Tangata (or "mankind" in the tribal Maori language of New Zealand) features sleek, contemporary decor, glass walls and a ceiling framed with stuccoed beams and large sky lights allowing ambient light to illuminate the main dining area. Located in the historic setting of the Bowers Museum of Cultural Art, the 160-seat restaurant dedicates half of its seating to alfresco dining on two patio areas with larger seating capacities available for private events. Residing within a lush mission-style courtyard featuring fountains, year-round flowers and a Spanish-style balcony, Tangata offers a truly magical setting. Tangata serves a diverse menu of California cuisine infused with Joachim Splichal´s award-winning French signature style.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerCalifornian
Tangata - Best Restaurants in Santa Ana ›
Tangata reviews from OpenTable diners
40 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (37)great for outdoor dining (18)neighborhood gem (17)fit for foodies (17)great for brunch (12)special occasion (11)good for groups (6)romantic (3)scenic view (2)notable wine list (2)hot spot (1)Show More
- lovelySorahDined on 9/6/2014Every salad is divine and they will comply with special requests. Thank you. Excellent waitress.Special Features:
- Once again, a great lunch!megasamDined on 8/20/2014Tangata is consistently great with a changing menu, attentive service and a good wine list. I have been coming for 3+ years now and I have always been very pleased with my experience.Special Features:
- Great Lunch at the Bowers MuseumMarisaDined on 7/31/2014My friends and I always have lunch at Tangata when we visit the Bowers Museum. It's a great meal to top off a wonderful museum experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BirthdayTinaVIPDined on 7/23/2014Enjoyed Dinning At Tangata Again At Least Twice A Yea,r Live In Studio City So It Is Far To Drive However Dinning And Seeing The Bowers Museum Well Worth The Drive. Dinned With The Pre- Fix Menu And Enjoyed Along With My Friend Who's Birthday That Day I WAS Celebrating A Surprise, She Had Never Been To The Restaurant Or Museum So This Was A Real Special Occasion. I Had Mention In Special Request When Making The Reservations It Was My Friends Birthday , Upon Entering The Restaurant I Mention To The Hostess If She Read My Special Request ? YES Um Not That Busy At The End Of Our Meal/ Surprise Was On Me/ When No Words Were Spoken To Us/ On This Day Of Her Real Birthday / From The Restaurant.Special Features:
- A gemKCmuseDined on 7/18/2014I've eaten many times at Tangata while visiting the Bower Museum. The found is usually matched to the season and the current exhibits. The food is expertly prepared and creative without being "out there". The service is always pleasant and efficient and it is the perfect place to dine with friends. And despite the high quality the price is very reasonable.Special Features:
- So pleasant but hotOutwithfriendsDined on 7/16/2014The place is so beautiful but I felt bad for the staff. It was sweltering inside so we sat outside which was pretty warm too. Otherwise, I live this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A FavoriteFavoriteVIPDined on 7/12/2014We look forward to dining here whenever we go to the Bowers museum. The menu is always varied and well presented. The wine list is adequate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Lunch!!MuseumFoodieDined on 7/10/2014I have dined for lunch at Tangata many times in the last few years, and it always satisfies. Simply being located in a charming museum setting adds to an otherwise pleasant ambience, and the food and service staff are particularly appealing as well. It has never let us down, and I always look forward to my next dining experience at Tangata.Special Features:
- A Museum FindClarinetistDined on 7/2/2014Tangata is part of the Patina Group of restaurants, and is a welcome addition to the Bowers Museum. My wife and I have eaten here several times and have always had a good dining experience. the chef is creative so the food is excellent. The service is first class, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Convenience and QualityNinky3Dined on 6/21/2014We were meeting friends at the Bowers Museum in Santa Ana around noon on Saturday and decided to have lunch at the restaurant inside. We expected the food to be adequate, given the location. We were pleasantly surprised! We ordered the salmon Cobb, the salmon was fresh and grilled perfectly. The burgers looked beautiful and the guys said they were delicious. We also ordered the Manchego salad, the greens were crisp and the flavor combos were great. The service was excellent as well. We will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingFavoriteVIPDined on 6/15/2014We don't like buffets or brunches. Fortunately it was only because it Was Fathers' Day. Usually it is very good or better and we will continue to eat there whenever we go to the Bower's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's at the BowersLynnVIPDined on 6/14/2014If you're at the Bowers Museum and you need a break, this restaurant is right there for you. The service is excellent, the menu is varied, and it has a lovely view of the courtyard. It's far above most museum restaurants, believe me!Special Features:
- THE BEST!plleungDined on 5/30/2014This is a superb restaurant, with excellent food and the best service I have ever experienced! I highly recommend it, as I do the attached Bowers Museum....another gem!Special Features:
- disappointing lunchbetsyDined on 5/14/2014Have come here with friends on many occasions but this time we all had the same thing, the salmon cobb salad and were all disappointed. Did not like the dressing and there were not enough of the other ingredients to make it flavorful besides the salmon on top. As I said, this was the rare exception to an otherwise great run of lunching but we were disappointed to the point of talking about it after.Special Features:
- The following 778 reviews are from the Tangata reviews archive.
- Great Mother's Day brunchVegivoreDined on 5/11/2014Took my mom out for Mother's Day brunch and had a wonderful experience! The restaurant is open, airy, and offers indoor or outdoor seating with courtyard view. Brunch was served buffet-style outdoors. Servers brought out new dishes continually, so everything was fresh and nicely presented. Though it was busy, we really didn't have to wait in line. Menu had something for everyone, including vegetarian/vegan choices. Server was attentive and kept our mimosa glasses full. A little pricey, but you could certainly pay more and not have as nice a brunch. Afterwards, we visited the Bowers museum. Altogether a very enjoyable experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mothers Day 2014OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014We were seated after arriving at the restaurant, and my only complaint was it felt uncomfortable to be sitting right next to the wood and glass doors the waiters and waitresses were coming in and out of. We were seated at a smaller table, for two, along the veranda outside. Oh, and my chair was wobbly. The courtyard was beautiful and there was a lovely singing voice floating around us, we discovered a live performer on the other side of a low wall in the garden courtyard. The level of music was perfect- not too noisy, just gentle and soothing. The food was good, my mom particularly enjoyed the ribs/meat entree that was served. I tried a little bit of everything and wasn't unhappy with any of the food.Special Features:
- The big let downChefDined on 5/11/2014After having a truly fantastic brunch in 2013 and one year prior in 2012 we were really anticipating a wonderful Mothers a Day brunch. The location at the Bowers museum garden is unparreled in this kart if a Orange County. It's a really special garden with a relaxed vibe and a jazz vocalist that was great. Where the problems arose was in the food. First as we entered the garden for brunch we were wondering when they were going to set up the carving station...never apparently. FAIL. Last year with 3 meats it may have been overdoing it...but from 3 to 0...lame. Moving to the buffet...uhh excuse me sir where's the bacon ? What no bacon on a brunch buffet? Surely there is some sort of breakfast meat? What? Zilch...Lame. This is unacceptable.$50Special Features:
- Great as always.FoodFanVIPDined on 4/26/2014Never a disappointment! Burger and fries were great, salmon salad looked wonderful, always good food and service.Special Features:
- mixed experience!0wletDined on 4/26/2014Tangata is the best and most convenient way to lunch while visiting the Bowers Museum, and the setting is pleasant. The menu has a nice range of items both in size of meal and price, which is great. I've never been served a bad item, although the kitchen tends to run out of popular items on a busy lunch day. Our recent lunch was marred by an inexperienced hostess, who, though we had an Open Table reservation, did not manage to seat us on time, or outside, which we'd requested well in advance. We overheard the next table complaining about a similar issue. This ineptitude did not extend to the waitstaff - our waitperson was attentive and pleasant, almost as if she knew what was going on at the front and was trying to mitigate the effects.Special Features:
- Won me backBowersmemberDined on 4/26/2014My experience prior to this one was not memorable at Tangata, so am happy to say that normal size wine glasses are back and the menu seems a little more inspired. I will be really happy to see foods related to the exhibits back on the menu soon, or so the Asst Manager informed us would be happening. The ravioli and salmon were both very nicely prepared. I am back to being a Tangata fan.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Lunch.BonAppetitDined on 4/25/2014Had a wonderful lunch at Tangata on April 25, 2014. The food is always outstanding. I enjoyed a delicious Salmon Cobb Salad and their Soup of the Day. My friend had a Pasta Dish and salad which she also said was delicious. The food is light and flavorful. Hats off to their Chef! Lunch is always so special at Tangata being on the beautiful grounds of the Bowers Museum. Highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Great find!lardgalDined on 4/25/2014While I have been to Bowers Museaum in the past, I had never enjoyed Tangata. What a find, when looking for a restaurant in middle Orange County. Service was outstanding, attentive but it obtrusive. The food was delishous! Loved the radish salad so much I am going to try try to recreate at home. Lamb belly was spice , unusual and terrific. The menu is not extensive but just the right size for the restaurant. Will be back, maybe next time on a romantic afternoon date with my husband.Special Features:
- not as expectedsittingbytheriverDined on 4/22/2014I had high expectations, as i have eaten here before and been impressed. However, today was not a good lunch experience. The bread was dry. we requested more butter, but it never arrived. The regular iced tea is an odd-tasting passionfruit flavor. The lamb belly appetizer: I am accustomed to spicy food, but this came layered with not one but two hot sauces. I choked, coughed, my eyes watered and my nose ran. Too too hot! Then came my choice of entree, the green pea salad. It was presented piled on a virtual trough-- i don't think it is possible to eat this salad without spilling it. some of the greens had gone "off" and were discolored. And the final insult:the bill was shockingly high. Overall, I expected better from Tangata.
- Brunch at Tangata always PleasesDrMusicDined on 4/20/2014My husband and I like to dine here on weekends. On holidays, they layout a beautiful brunch of ever-changing foods. This Easter they served bottomless mimosas, and they meant bottomless. We sat outside on the gorgeous patio. Very good service as always.Special Features:
- Easter BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/20/2014The quality of food was excellent which made up for the smaller variety (compared to some brunches). Very enjoyable well prepared food!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/20/2014We came for Easter brunch. The service was off. Dirty plates stacked up on our table but I would try it again on a less busy occasion. I live string quartet or acoustic guitar would have enhanced the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easter brunchMomof2Dined on 4/20/2014We went to brunch on Easter and there was an Easter Bunny, easter egg hunt and ice cream bar but the actual brunch food was not very kid-friendly. The food was delicious, but no omelet station, no waffles or pancakes, no cereal. Otherwise, it was great service, a great venue and really nice.Special Features:
- Spring Pea SaladOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/19/2014Delicious fresh peas, snap peas, 'tendrils' with cider vinegar. With a glass of Pinot Grigio Perfect for sitting and talking about the soulful animal exhibitSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pleasedwithitDined on 4/19/2014My wife and I are a pair of octogenarians who don't get out at night anymore, but we enjoy a day at the museum and appreciate the high quality of food and service at the Tangata for a leisurely lunch break during our visit. We do not take alcohol at lunch (because we have to drive home after) so cannot comment on the wine list. The view of the museums' entry garden from some of the outdoor tables is very pretty and restful. Your comp for parking is another plus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Twice in One MonthAJ07Dined on 4/19/2014This was the second time I ate at Tangata in April. The first was for pleasure; the second time for business. Both times the food and service were wonderful. The quiet noise level enables diners to carry on conversations without having to raise their voices to be heard. I appreciate having the parking fee waived for diners too.Special Features:
- Always perfect lunch.megasamDined on 4/18/2014Tangata is always good, but this Friday was superlative. The fresh pea and tarragon ravioli were so fresh and bright - the perfect dish for spring! Tangata is a favorite spot for my son and I to have a little time alone to talk and enjoy fine food.Special Features:
- Little GemlittlebitesDined on 4/17/2014This is a great little restaurant for lunch and a visit to the museum. The food is very good and the service is friendly.Special Features:
- Museum Restaurant a GemCountessJolineDined on 4/13/2014I love this little restaurant. Tangata has a modern art museum feel, but is located within the Bowers Museum, amidst exhibits on ancient Egyptian animal mummies, ancient China, Vanuatu's head hunters and Beethoven. The food is wonderful, not inexpensive, but not too pricey either. What you'd expect to pay in a nice bistro that serves quality dishes. We had a wonderful Angus burger and pasta w/mussels. Overall, it was a wonderful experience. We've eaten there before and will do so again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoying TangataLunchwithfriendsDined on 4/9/2014Tangata at Bowers Museum never fails to disappoint! Innovative, delicious, food, lovely ambiance, attentive servers. One of my favorite places to meet good friends for lunch!Special Features:
- An Egyptian dinnerMalbecVIPDined on 4/8/2014The Egyptian dinner that went along with the superb Bowers After Hours program was great. Really good and very different. Kudos to the chef.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Repeat VisitAJ07Dined on 4/8/2014Great food. Great service. It's quiet. I can carry on a conversation without having to speak loudly to be heard.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MuseumLouisaDined on 4/6/2014Half the fun of going to the Bowers is having lunch at Tangata. Always memorable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Need to change the carrotgigiDined on 3/29/2014Need to change the carrot soup, very bland. Salmon salad excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- we always eat here when wegoodplace1Dined on 3/28/2014we always eat here when we visit the Bowers Museum and like he museum it's always a peak experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Sunday LunchsurprisemeDined on 3/23/2014We had noticed the restaurant on past visits to the Bower, but never took the time to eat there. Everything about the experience was excellent. A fun complement to our museum visit. Staff was very helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.