Tandoor Char House
2652 N Halsted
Chicago, IL 60614Neighborhood:
IndianPrice: $30 and under
Tandoor Char House
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.tandoorchicago.com/
- Phone: (773) 327-2652
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Sunday - 11AM - 11PM
Please note that we are now reservation only on Friday and Saturday evenings.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Pakistani, Indian
- Executive Chef: Faraz & Fahim Sardharia
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Cafe, Delivery, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View
- Catering: Catering available for all occasions.
Business Meetings, Parties, Weddings, Events, Gathering, Dinners. Contact Faraz Sardharia.
A word from Tandoor Char House
Fine eating establishments know the essence of the restaurant business, it isn't merely enough to provide good food. The truly memorable dining experience depends upon several other ingredients from the top food selections to the most dedicated people serving you. We would like to lift your dining experience to a whole new level, a level of harmony which not only shows in our atmosphere, but in our philosophy to bring you an experience that is simply unparalleled in the restaurant industry...Continued
We serve 100 % zabiha halal meat, Fresh Guaranteed.
We serve 100 % zabiha halal meat, Fresh Guaranteed.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Tandoor Char House - Best Restaurants in Lincoln Park ›
Tandoor Char House reviews from OpenTable diners
26 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (17)fit for foodies (10)romantic (5)good for groups (4)special occasion (4)hot spot (2)great for lunch (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Best Indian south of DevonMynahliDined on 11/15/2014I have a lot of reasons for liking Tandoor Char House. The service and food are always on point, if not sometimes a little slow to serve since everything is cooked to order. But they also have a couple unique features that make it stand out from your standard Indian restaurant. 1. They have both Indian and Pakistani cuisine, so you can have vegetarian/chicken dishes as well as great beef and lamb options. I particularly love the beef samosas, which are hard to find anywhere outside of my mom's kitchen. 2. They have an interesting fusion menu which blends Indian flavors with traditional Western dishes. My husband loves the Penne Tikka Masala, which is basically butter chicken w/ pasta. The Tandoori chicken tikka pizza is also pretty delicious. All in all, you can't go wrong if you want some good Indian food and you don't feel like trekking all the way to Devon St.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodFromtheBurbsDined on 11/1/2014Great find in the city! Tried Tandoor because we were in the area for a show & would definitely recommend it. Food was great and everyone was very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/26/2014We cannot wait to dine at Tandoor Char House again. We loved the setting, great staff and service, as well as the most wonderful food and presentation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mlakhDined on 10/24/2014Very good place for people looking for something new. This place fuses Indian/Pakistani food with American. Mango cheesecake is AMAZING. Also serves Zabiha halal meat so a great spot for Muslims.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatcitykidVIPDined on 9/23/2014I don't know why I had never been here before but I will absolutely be back. My friend and I love everything we ate and the service was friendly and excellent. BYOB makes it a real bargain.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Really good food and big portions with a moderate bill! Great find with delicious food and BYOB!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/12/2014You cannot go wrong with any food item you choose here! They have loyal and very cool waitstaff, they've recently redecorated and remodeled the inside and it looks great, and the food was fabulous! We had enough to bring home for another big meal! A word of advice- make a reservation!!! We are grateful we did because although we had to wait about 15 minutes for our table to clear, they were telling walk-ins the wait would be 1.5 hours!!!Special Features:
- Great Indian Foodme24ethnicDined on 9/9/2014The food was great, and of course that's what makes the restaurant. However I felt there was something missing in the decor. It felt a bit dark and boring. I would think some new lighting and maybe a color would make it feel more "friendly". Having said that, I would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/5/2014We went with a group of 6, 3 who were from England and are fans of Indian food. We were all very happy with the whole experience. The staff was great. Food was plenty and we went home with leftovers. A little loud, but it was fun. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent restaurantpaulistaDined on 8/31/2014grilled dishes, biryani rices, a relatively short list of vegetable dishes all very flavorful, and prepared as spicy as requested. Attentive and very friendly service. Relatively noisy, but not so much that cannot keep a conversation going, overall elegant feeling and reasonable prices (helped even more by the BYOB policy). Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Tikki masala heavenNutterbuttermrDined on 8/31/2014We loved this place. My fiancé and I took our unadventurous parents here (ordered mild spice on everything) and even without heat our dishes and the naan bread were really good. We all agreed that we will be back. Also, the owners are really friendly and informative. Helped us navigate the menu for first time Indian food experience. Chicken tikki masala is so good. Especially when dipping in some fresh naan.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 110 reviews are from the Tandoor Char House reviews archive.
- A MustOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/29/2014Excellent dishes - truly authentic Indian, accommodating to your requests via some great serviceSpecial Features:
- Tandoor Char House, ChicagoSlavaDined on 7/26/2014Below average Indian food. One of the worst parts of the dinner was palak paneer, which had such a small amount of cheese and spinach that was too, too old. We basically did no eat it.Special Features:
- Hot and Spicy!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/22/2014Excellent food and wonderful, friendly service. Air conditioning wasn't working but I'm assuming that was a temporary problem. Can't wait to go back Highly recommended!Special Features:
- How did I not know this place?kd8rVIPDined on 7/15/2014Yummy and staff is so friendly. So glad to have a great Indian place in my areaSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/11/2014Great Indian/Pakistani food in a great location. The service was excellent as well.Special Features:
- Outstanding.HenryVIPDined on 7/5/2014The place looks very unimpressive outside. One inside, the service is very friendly, prompt and outstanding. The decor is simple but clean. The food is even better. The place is a most among Indian restaurants. The only downside is that they do not have wine or liquor service. The allow you to get your own bottle of wine. Our waiter got us a bottle of wine from the "next door" store.Special Features:
- Amazing experiencefoodieshoodieDined on 6/22/2014I've been here a few times, and it doesn't disappoint every time. The quality of food is amazing, the service is excellent, and the owner personally comes by your table to greet you. Indian fusion is a brilliant concept.Special Features:
- Indian at its BestOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/20/2014Fragrant, spicy, memorable! Some of the best Indian food I have ever enjoyed. Service was good, nice cozy ambiance, friendly staff. Will definitely visit Tandoor Char the next time we come to Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Come Hungry!!!VirginIslandsFoodLoverDined on 6/17/2014The service and food here are great!!However, if you're not coming with a group, make sure to definitely come with an appetite. The portions are family sized so plan accordingly or expect to take a weeks worth of food in a to-go box.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing 18th birthday!alwayshungryalwaysthirstyDined on 6/16/2014The food was so amazing! The price was a bit high so that's why I believe this is good for special occassions. When you're willing to drop some dough, this is a great spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, okay foodFoodieVIPDined on 6/15/2014I went to Tandoor Char House with a couple of friends. The food wasn't too great, especially the meat, which was very tough. But the service was great. The restaurant was pretty loud with music and street noise.Special Features:
- great foodMiriDined on 5/31/2014Yummy and lots of it. Went for first time with our 10 y.o. son for whom this was his first Indian food experience. He loved it as did we. Love the byob.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!TomBethDined on 5/31/2014What a fantastic experience! Our waiter was so knowledgable and assisted us in picking out the best food for us. The samosas were fantastic. The lamb and chicken dishes were amazing. The condiments: yogurt with spices, cilantro and jalapeno, tamarind and especially great grandmothers carrot concoction - a type of giardiniera, all added so many different levels of flavor to the dishes. This couldn't have been a better food experience. This was our first time to Tandoor Char House and it will not be our last.Special Features:
- Tandoor Char houseBHerbVIPDined on 5/24/2014was looking for a Indian restaurant to take out of town company to and stumbled upon some positive reviews on Tandoor Char house and decided to book. Everything we had was great and we left very satisfied and full. The portions were family style and we were very impressed on how reasonable the prices were compared to the amount of food we received.
- Delicious Desi FoodSaadDined on 5/23/2014I've been in the Chicagoland area for the past 20 years and have tried many IndoPak restaurants. The passion for cooking good food, trying new things, and overall providing a world class dining experience has always been lacking... Until now. Fahim did an amazing job of creating an inviting environment, thoroughly explaining the menu, and following through with great tasting food. I would definately recommend Tandoor Char House to anyone wanting to try IndoPak food for the first time, those who have had it for their entire lives, and to those willing to go on an adventure bridging Eastern and Western cuisine. A great model for other desi restaurants to follow to bring excitement to their restaurants revitalizing desi food for our generationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Tikka Masala!cgwicklinVIPDined on 5/6/2014I have been to Tandoor probably 20+ times. I have taken my sisters there and most recently two friends and everyone has been super pleased with the food and service. I highly recommend the vegetable samosas, chicken or paneer tikka masala, the chana masala is also very good and their garlic naan. The owner is always there and everyone on staff is very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LoveOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/25/2014Love Tandoor- my favorite Indian restaurant in Chicago! Great service and food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This place is a neighborhoodChicagoDiningDined on 4/8/2014This place is a neighborhood gem! Honestly, one of the best Indian food restaurants I have been too. Great atmosphere, great service, and awesome and delicious food! We ordered a beef and a chicken dish - both of which were delicious - the meat was perfectly cooked with the right tenderness. The sauce that the dishes came with were equally delicious - very flavorful. They can also adjust the spiciness of the dish to your preference. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tandoor Char w out of town guestsChicagoExplorerDined on 4/5/2014My husband and I took a few friends visiting from overseas on a Saturday night for early dinner and it was good. The highlight was the host and owner service and hospitality. I actually asked my husband if he knew the host because he was so friendly and familiar. Shrimp tikka was good though more cream than anything else, mixed veggies were great and tandoori chicken was pretty good. Grandmas special pickles/condiment was a great touch!
- Best Indian Food in the City!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/5/2014This is by far the best Indian food in the city of Chicago. The food here is excellent and consistent. I used to live in this neighborhood and visit this restaurant all of the time, but now that I live in the suburbs I still make time to drive in. Unlike a lot of Indian restaurants, the service is also excellent which makes the entire dining experience wonderful. Some of my favorites include the chicken eggrolls, chicken tikka masala, and pistachio and mango kulfi! You can't go wrong with any of those dishes. My only complaint is that it can get crowded on a Friday or Saturday night now that the word has gotten out how wonderful this place is!Special Features:
- AwesomeComilanciaDined on 3/25/2014This place was AWESOME! GREAT food, GREAT service, overall GREAT experience. I highly recommend it!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tandoor was very accommodatinginga529Dined on 3/14/2014Tandoor was very accommodating to our large party despite the limited space (originally was 13 but ended up being 9), with great assistance from the server for determining our order and explaining dishes. The owner was also very present and explained the personal connection between the food and his family. The food was delicious with no shortage of rice/naan, Chutneys, etc. Also, it's BYOB! , and very reasonably priced for the amount of food and quality. This was the first Indian food experience for many guests in my group and everyone enjoyed it thoroughly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A most welcoming place withgoodfoodomnivoreVIPDined on 3/6/2014A most welcoming place with Pakistani (beef) as well as Indian specialties all nicely prepared. The samosas with sweet and spicy sauces on th eside are big enough to share. The tandoori chicken is moist and delicious. The beef neghri(sp?) is tender and tasty, almost as good as that of my Pakistani friend's grandmother, and the curried eggplant is full of spicy flavor. Whole wheat paratha was accompaniment. The mango ice cream is a sweet, cool fruity finish. BYOB with places nearby to pick up drinks. An easy place to have fun and talk with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What sets Tandoor apart? GenerosityOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 2/27/2014Generosity exudes from Tandoor. Generous hospitality. Generous portions. Generous service. Generous side dishes that come with your meal. Even if you're not sure you like Indian food, go to remind yourself what restaurant hospitality should be like.Special Features:
- Love the Chicken Tikka MasalaTarheelborn1VIPDined on 2/24/2014We enjoyed a relaxing dinner at Tandoor Char House. The service was very good and we loved the food. Sauces were excellent and the owner had one that was his grandmother's recipe. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Good food, good service!NeilDined on 2/14/2014Reserved a table for Valentine's Day. Interior of the restaurant is simple, clean, and contemporary. We were seated in the lower level (there are two floors of dining space) which wasn't bad. The tables are very close together so it was a bit difficult to tune out the conversation of our neighboring table of 6 young ladies. Other than that minuscule issue, we both thought it was a bit cold. I will probably request an upstairs table for future reservations just to avoid these nuisances. The food and service were fantastic! Our waiter was extremely attentive and all of the food we ordered was delightful. Nothing much more I can say except I would recommend the curly fries (I know, but give them a shot!) and the tikka masala chicken.Special Features:
- Indian food with a nice twistfood4meDined on 12/21/2013The food was great, the waiter efficient, helpful, and charming, and the owner makes the rounds of tables. I will be back. Portions are generous, but try the samosas for appetizers anyway - they are REALLY good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and BYOBCarolDDined on 12/14/2013Tandoor Char House has some really really great Indian food - even for an Indian food newbie like me! The waiter was really nice and helped me navigate the menu and suggested a dish that he knew I would love. And I did! The prices were very reasonable considering how much food they give you! Each entree comes with a salad, so you don't even have to order an appetizer unless you really want to. Next time I think I would skip the appetizer because I was so full AND I took half of my entree home. And the icing on the cake is this place is BYOB. Amazing! Make sure to make a reservation as this place is on the cozy side and on a Saturday night fills up quickly. Have dinner here, you won't be disappointed!Special Features:
- Fantastic food and great service!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/10/2013The restaurant was very accommodating for our large group. The servers were extremely prompt and great at giving advise on dish selection. The owner came out to describe some of the dishes we had ordered and brought out an extra side to garnish some of our appetizers. I will definitely be back very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.