2121 6th Avenue
Seattle, WA 98121Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.tanakasanseattle.com/
- Phone: (206) 812-8412
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: M-Su 11:00am-2:30pm
Dinner: Su-Th 4:30pm-11:00pm
Dinner: F-Sa 4:30pm-12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Asian
- Executive Chef: Brian Walczyk
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from TanakaSan
TanakaSan is a modern American Asian restaurant. Eric Tanaka's background as a Japanese-American kid growing up in LA's melting pot sets the tone for our playful menu. This is the food that satisfies our cravings. We hope you enjoy eating it as much as we enjoy cooking it.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
TanakaSan reviews from OpenTable diners
68 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (42)good for groups (24)great for lunch (18)neighborhood gem (18)hot spot (13)great for outdoor dining (12)great for brunch (10)vibrant bar scene (9)kid-friendly (8)special occasion (8)late-night find (6)romantic (5)notable wine list (3)Show More
- The chicken wings are over hyped.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/11/2014I've been to japan and they have the best wings, yamachan, the spices are perfection and the wings are crispy and juicy. I would come back here for dessert only.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great fooddiningfriendDined on 11/7/2014I ordered the seared tuna bento as my main course, which was a wonderful mix of flavors. However, the highlight of the evening were the chicken wings, which we ordered as an appetizer. These are hands down the best chicken wings I've had in the city. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flao vorfulfoodscoutDined on 11/7/2014This was our first time at TanakaSan. We are fans of other Tom Douglas venues. The black cod rice bowl had an amazing sauce that left you wanting to lick the bowl but the quantity of rice was over abundant. The sauce ran out long before the rice. Fish was tasty. The chicken bento box had some lovely items, scant amount of chicken, almost burnt. This was a birthday celebration and we really wanted this to be outstanding. It was very good, but not outstanding. May go back for lunch to try some other dishes. Wait staff was excellent.Special Features:
- TanakaSanOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 11/4/2014Trying to visit ALL of Tom Douglas restaurants, we tried TanakaSan this time. Fun dining with the Godzillas! The chicken wings were excellent! The Hanoi fish would be so much better if the fish was hot instead of being served cold. Everything was good, everybody in our party enjoyed their dish, the pancakes, the hot pots, and desserts. Excellent service too! We will be back!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lively at lunchtravelersezVIPDined on 10/30/2014Tanaka San was packed when we visited. Upon entering the sign said to wait to be seated. No hostess around. Waited then walked over to the main area. We were seated on the side nearest to the open kitchen. Some wonderful aromas so we were ready for our meal. Growing up in HI, I was excited to see many favorites from home listed. We both enjoyed the flavor of the coconut beef with rice bowls. I only wish the beef was more tender or the squares cut smaller.
- RWxyj32Dined on 10/29/2014Very busy for RW lunch, things took a little bit longer, but all things considered it was still a good experience. I'd go back for sure.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice brunch for rainy dayNannypooDined on 10/26/2014How can you pass on a bowl of ramen in rainy Seattle! It was a quiet Sunday brunch and perfect to catch up with my guest.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant weektaylorb444Dined on 10/21/2014This place was great, ambiance and good was amazing. Although it is located under apartments so people walk their dogs right by you while you're sitting on the edge of the restaurant. I would reccomend this place over and over being said.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty!CMRockDined on 10/21/2014Tasty lunch for Seattle Restaurant Week. Totally recommend any time of year.Special Features:
- "Meh"rge78Dined on 10/18/2014The food was just okay (we tried several dishes), but the service was questionable. Our waitress was fine, but there was no host when we first arrived. After waiting for several minutes, I finally went up to the bar and asked for a host. The bartender said she'd follow me and seat us... then she disappeared. Finally, a waiter came up and asked what we were waiting for... and I said "a host". He profusely apologized and sat us. Lastly, my girlfriend had some sort of allergic reaction to one of the dishes, but we're not sure. We do not plan to go back.Special Features:
- Delish!LocaldinerDined on 10/13/2014Caramel chicken wings are a don't miss. Menu has improved from opening with subtle flavor combinations and good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Snow and SapporopogiboyDined on 10/6/2014This is my 3rd round going to TanakaSan and each time has been great. During the summer TanakaSan had created a lemon/lime slushy drink combined with Sapporo (Titled Snow Cap/Snow Top?) I bragged about the drink to my girl friend's mother and when we arrived it was missing from the menu. I had asked our server about the drink and she asked the bartender to see if they can put it together. SUCCESS! The Osaka pancake (wow!) and chicken wings were spectacular (best chicken wings ever, and they should be for $2.15/wing) I miss the family style plating they used to have, however, with Seattle losing it's top Chinese restaurant to a fire last X-Mas, I am ready to dub TanakaSan best Asian restaurant in Seattle, and this is coming from a pinoy.Special Features:
- GREAT TD SPOT!jmrmodeDined on 10/4/2014We are on a Tom Douglas food crawl, and this was our 2nd to last stop, and we should have made it one of the first. but nonetheless, the service was great, and the food delivered as well.Special Features:
- TerribleSeattleTransplantDined on 9/28/2014Absolute bland food. Every dish. Great atmosphere, but truly horrible cooking going on there.
- if only I could see the foodbornhereDined on 9/26/2014Third visit to this 'delicious' dining destination. I've been here with three different groups of friends and all have agreed that the variety of tastes and textures are excellent. My only issue is that the lighting, or lack of it, makes it most difficult to see the deliciousness that is presented to our table. Alas….Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!ElsaGDined on 9/19/2014Our party of four loved every part of our meal. Favorites were the twice fried chicken wings (salty caramel), roasted corn, and caramelized coconut beef. Service was outstanding as well!Special Features:
- Creative lunch menuOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/13/2014My cousin visiting from the Bay Area enjoyed the smoked salmon benedict, a new weekend brunch menu item, accordingly to our cheerful waitress. The Asian fusion theme consisted of Bristol Bay salmon, toasted Chinese doughnut, avocado hollandaise and crispy potatoes. I wanted to try one of the plate lunches and chose the Alaskan ling cod katsu and chose as my 2 sides the potato-mac salad and the chili green beans, passing on the rice. The green beans were tasty and the generous portion of katsu was plenty good also to take half home. Visiting the Assembly Hall building, especially on a nice sunny day strolling to Seattle Center after lunch at Tanaka-san, was a great Seattle experience to share with my out of town relative.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 4 Star Asian Fusion Izakaya-styleKevinRDined on 9/9/2014Fascinating variants on asian fusion small plates. Similar drink choices and small plate format to Greater Tokyo isakaya pub/restaurants. World class service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sugoi - Amazing!!!2full4uDined on 9/5/2014Wow, what more can one say about this amazing culinary fusion of Eric Tanaka and Tom Douglas. We were licking our fingers over the roasted sweet corn, salty caramel chicken wings, the lumpia and the carmelized coconut beef with rice (I was able to substitute brown rice). Even the Mountain Valley Sparkling Water tasted fabulous. Our server Erik was the best and made great selections. Will be going back, a lot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and tastynakedtonueVIPDined on 8/25/2014Twice fried salted caramel wings are drool-worthy. Pork buns and jasmine rice pudding are perhaps way too easy to consume. Sat on the patio, very pleasant and attentive service. Finally tried the sake slushie and loved it.Special Features:
- Will be back for more Pork Buns!MEstampadorVIPDined on 8/25/2014My friends and I celebrated my last day of work at Tanakasan and all I can say is it was the best way to end the day! The food was delish and the sake slushy was refreshing. We ordered the Osaka pancakes, Asian wings, Pork buns... The best thing in the menu was the Pork Buns.. We ordered 2 more orders! We couldn't get enough! Will definitely be back to try out the rest of the menu!Special Features:
- A Must Dine!CJStavertVIPDined on 8/19/2014Great take on American Asian cuisine, this Tom Douglas & Eric Tanaka collaboration is a winner. The Osaka Pancakes are a must, and the Ahi Bowl was perfect for lunch. I will definitely return - again and again. Highly Recommend!!!Special Features:
- Love TanakaSan!MariDined on 8/18/2014As a Japanese American, I loved dining here for the first time. So many flavors and ideas reminded me of my childhood and traditional dishes my Grandmother used to make, with Eric Tanaka's touch. Definitely will be dining again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great varietyWingnutsgloryDined on 8/17/2014This is one of our favorite restaurants. Very unique Korean/Japanese/Malay/etc. inspirations combined with PNW ingredients. Great space, great service, great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must tryDarkTruth1VIPDined on 8/8/2014Unfortunately, it is a victim of across the street construction noise at lunch. Short ribs and wings are spectacular. This is a unique enough place that any who want a special dining experience should go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Menu has upgradedneil90dVIPDined on 8/1/2014We go to Tanakasan regularly, and have enjoyed it, but we loved the recent changes to the menu -- seems significantly upgraded.Special Features:
- Menu choices & portions need boostPDXFoodiesDined on 7/27/2014We had some difficulty finding selections about which we were excited, the choices being limited. A cocktail was fine but a serving of liquor so small as to be almost invisible in the glass. At $13 this seemed stingy! The same was true of an order of sashimi, consisting of not much more than a tablespoon of the fish, although artfully presented. The entrees were good, as was the service, but we would probably not go back, given the wealth of restaurant choices in Seattle. And because of the name, we expected a more traditional Japanese restaurant.
- The following 44 reviews are from the TanakaSan reviews archive.
- mecanicogolfDined on 7/20/2014It was very good service with very good food. I would recommend this place to anyone new arriving in town.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/20/2014Bit Hit and miss. 2 great dishes and 2 average to below.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dinner at Tanaka SanOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/19/2014First time eating at Tanaka San, the roasted octopus and caramelized coconut beef were wonderful and beautifully presented. Complaint from the guys that the portions were too small, but there are more substantial items on the menu to help with that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great place you know who!rstew17Dined on 6/26/2014Great food menu as well as drink menu. Unique and a nice value. Check it out"Special Features:
- Attentive staffLuluBDined on 6/26/2014Food was good. Staff was terrific. Carried on a conversation without yelling. All in all, a good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cold room tempOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/9/2014Restaurant has a air conditioning that blows cold air on the tables next to the windows. Way too coldSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good HH menu!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/9/2014Great menu. The chicken was delicious and the cocktails and mixed drinks were very good. :)I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant has slippedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/4/2014We went to dinner with family earlier this week. The food has declined. Very bland. Service was ok. It is no longer worth the money. They also seemed annoyed that we brought our kids because I asked for some kid friendly options.Special Features:
- NoodlesWhatsfordessertbuddyDined on 5/28/2014Went to Tanaka San for Ramen. Ramen was chicken broth and lots of noodles. Not the more traditional pork broth. Good but a bit salty. Also had wings which I thought were very good but also salty. Waiter went past our table twice with our food including serving it to an adjacent table once. He was unapologetic but this really irks me when my food had sat at another table for a short time before being brought to us. We were also sat near the door so the wind blew in each time door was opened to outdoor seating. Also in main flow of people and adjacent to bar so very noisy. Looking up to the balcony you say a bunch of butts on barstools. While I suppose it is kinda hip and near Amazon, I would prefer to go to Isakaya or Kushibar anyday.Special Features:
- Delicious at any time of daynakedtonueVIPDined on 5/26/2014Stopped in for lunch with a friend. Ample portins an new menu items mixed with old favorites. A solid choice for a foodie comfort meal, and the stellar cocktails and fresh juices are a huge bonus.Special Features:
- WowBRSwizzDined on 5/25/2014I've never been a big Tom Douglas fan but we decided to try this place anyway. I am glad we did it was really quite good. The food was certain themed but with Northwest and local connections. I have been recommending this to all my friends.Special Features:
- Outstanding!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/24/2014Give Cal a raise! He anticipated our every need and took excellent care of us! It was the perfect celebration for our daughter who graduated from PLU with her Master's Degree! We love Tom Douglas and the food was absolutely fabulous!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun diningFoodBeaDined on 5/22/2014TanakaSan has become one of our Go-To dining options. Favorite Asian dishes with a West Coast twist. Love the Godzillas!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.