1414 Jefferson St
Oakland, CA 94612Neighborhood:
PeruvianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.tamborestaurant.com/
- Phone: 5106638262x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: M-F 11:30am-2:30pm
dinner: M-F 5:30pm-10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Peruvian
- Executive Chef: Patricia Rios
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Delivery, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Contact: Christian 5102466279x
- Entertainment: 1) Site Survey: Please complete by Sat. 7/20/13
A word from Tambo Restaurant
An authentic Peruvian restaurant.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerPeruvian
Tambo Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Oakland ›
Tambo Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
51 reviews since April 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (32)neighborhood gem (23)great for lunch (15)good for groups (13)kid-friendly (10)romantic (8)special occasion (5)great for brunch (4)hot spot (2)late-night find (2)notable wine list (1)great for outdoor dining (1)scenic view (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Seafood Lovers RejoiceOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 8/15/2014Peruvian ceviche - when it's good - is such a treat. This neighborhood gem has a wide variety to choose from. Our favorite was the Ceviche Tambo - whether it was the toothsome fish, the fragrant lime, the thin sliced pickled red onions, the corn nuggets, oh so good - we could have slurped up the entire bowl. the Ceviche Salmon - yummy too. We enjoyed the Ceviche Pesto as well. THe main courses are generous - the fried fish and yucca fries had a delicious dipping sauce too. perfectly light and fluffy. Dessert with passion fruit tarts was a treat too. Really like this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really great findkmillerVIPDined on 8/8/2014The food an service at Tambo were great. My husband had the lamb and I had the seafood rice. we also ordered one of the 6 ceviches available on the menu. All the food was cooked to perfection and well seasoned. I highly recommend this wonderful restaurant.Special Features:
- Must go back!!BailleroeatsDined on 8/3/2014The foodc at Tambo was incredibly delicious and also very interesting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Equally good the second timedinnerdinerDined on 7/28/2014Tambo does not disappoint. The small, clean, rustic interior decor easily matches the very good, authentic Peruvian cuisine. The service is helpful and discreet, and the food really is very good. This was my second trip to Tambo and I had a wonderful two hour lunch with a new friend. It's very real, very tasty, and a very nice dining experience.Special Features:
- Amazing food, questionable locationSKVossDined on 7/26/2014This place has AMAZING food. Really classy interesting bites as well as larger plates that did not disapoint. The Lomo Saltado was so good, and the ceviche was so fresh and delicious. It's too bad I was worried my car (parked 20 feet away) was going to be broken into all through dinner. This place is unfortunately licated right next door to public housing so the folks hanging around dont make for an enjoyable dining experience. Service was also extremely slow. They had one server on staff and we waited upwards of 20 minutes between courses. That being said, if you have some extra time for a slow meal - check this place out. The food is worth braving the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tamboethnicfood4meDined on 7/18/2014Great sangria! We tried the ceviche sampler, my favorites are in this order: classic, Tambo, and then the mixto. The classic is super lemony, so if you don't like to pucker go with one of the other versions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/14/2014Amazing food and great service. The ceviche was perfect and the empanadas flaky and piping hot. Don't pass up the passion fruit sangria.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was awesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/12/2014Really loved the beef heart, never tried it before. The food was excellent, the service was a little slow in the beginning, but got moving when we started ordering. My only criticism was how outrageous the corkage fee was, $20?? I thought that was way too much, especially since I came here for my wife's birthday and we wanted to drink our bottle of wine. Please reconsider that. Our waitress was great, the food, again was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 7/11/2014Outstanding job by the owners and staff accommodating a VERY large group.Special Features:
- Delicious PeruvianRat6880Dined on 7/9/2014The ceviche tasting was delicious. Really enjoyed the lamb and steak large plates. Very nice we got a free a croquette like appetizer.Special Features:
- Fantastic Peruvian FoodjayzmommVIPDined on 7/6/2014Tambo is a small downtown restaurant but their food is excellent! We have dined there four times and every dish has always been flavorful and served beautifully, reflecting the care taken in the kitchen. Service is attentive and friendly. Great food, nice staff!Special Features:
- Great lunch placeOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/27/2014A cut above the average for food. We did tapas style and everything that we had was yummySpecial Features:
- Overall a great experiencepandakunDined on 6/24/2014We came after the Groupon madness, so it wasn't crowded or loud - which was great. Food was very true to Peruvian roots, all of which was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't suggest tip amount on checkOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/21/2014We went with a Groupon deal. When the check came, they wrote down the full amount of our meal BEFORE the deal - and that's totally fine. But they also wrote down suggested gratuity of 18% with an amount shown next to the total. That really turns me off when they think they DESERVE an 18% tip. There were just two of us. The waiter was fine but we felt we received average service. Why 18%? Why write it down on our check? That is so indiscreet.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Peruvian in OaklandnobodyDined on 6/17/2014Went to Tambo for the first time. The wait staff was nice and attentive; though, as it was slow, we didn't have much competition for their time. The food was good and interesting. Having not had many a Peruvian meal, I couldn't say whether it was good by the standard of a Peruvian restaurant. I was super appreciative that they are supporting Oakland and that they chose not the nicest block in which to open their restaurant. We would go back, though I am curious to try other Peruvian spots as a basis for comparison.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Peruvian PerfectiondinnerdinerDined on 6/16/2014Tambo is fun and the food is so good! It's clean and quiet in the downtown Oakland neighborhood with an excellent selection of authentic ceviches, a long list of entrees and appetizers, and friendly helpful staff. I had the Lomo Saltadp. The beef and vegetables were tender but fresh , crisp and very tasty. An excellent fruity Chilean Cabernet filed out our celebratory dinner for two. The ceviche sampler was three different flavored sauces full of different fresh fish and little octopuses. Fabulous! Every dish went back empty. I'll be returning to Tambo to try many different entrees and small dishes.Special Features:
- A place to go for the foodBishopDined on 6/8/2014This unpretentious restaurant has a unique menu of authentic Peruvian food, with an emphasis on fish and seafood. Everything we had was incredibly good--the kind if food you reminisce about for days.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Food!!OakknollieDined on 5/30/2014We stumbled across Tambo by accident after a friend suggested that we look for Peruvian food. What a great surprise. The tastes are extraordinarily sharp and distinct, the plates offer a wonderful contrast with each other. The menu is great for sharing dishes within a group or hoarding a great find all to yourself. The service is attentive and accommodating (extra sauces and additions are not a problem) and the staff explanations of the food preparation and wine list are complete. I recommend the restaurant to anyone who is looking for a creative dining experience - your mouth will thank you for it.Special Features:
- saturdayDined on 5/29/2014No time to try all the listings in the menu, but what we had was very well seasoned and we feel that we have to return to try other dishes. We are not alcohol drinkers so we asked for the juices, all very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good restaurant in bad neighborhoodAlisaDined on 5/28/2014For me and my husband, the resraurant was a bad choice. He does not enjoy seafood. He had a half-chicken, which he liked very much. I tried different ceviches and causas. It was my first time for such food and I didn't like it too much. Was too spicy and I expected somewhat different taste. I like the decorations in the resraurant and a quiet atmosphere.Special Features:
- Delightful SupriseSteveMVIPDined on 5/27/2014My wife and I had never eaten at a Peruvian restaurant before, so were not sure what to expect. We had a two person tasting meal which provided many wonderful options. All the dishes were nicely sized and well prepared - and oh did I mention very tasty too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/24/2014Thanks to a coupon we were served a tasting menu. It had 3 different ceviches, empanada, brochetta and potatoes. Topped it off with a glass of sangria. We were very surprised by this restaurant. Absolutely worth going back there and pay the full fareSpecial Features:
- grannydoveVIPDined on 5/18/2014Shocked that I had to pay for a soda refill and was not notified when I asked for one. No sign posted anywhere. The glass was small and filled with ice; the soda was from the fountain. I can understand paying for a second can of soda. Fountain refills are a given at most restaurants. When they are not, servers should advise patrons. On a positive note, the food was tasty and the service was attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/14/2014The ceviche was amazing. The sea bass was wonderful. The service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A welcome additionEaterVIPDined on 5/10/2014Never thought this area would get a decent dinner location. Even when the staff seemed a bit overwhelmed at the capacity crowd, their smiles never faded. Food was very good, and service was very sweet. I would not hesitate to return.
- The following 32 reviews are from the Tambo Restaurant reviews archive.
- Close to the Fox and DifferentRonMDined on 4/14/2014We wanted to try something a bit different prior to attending a show at the Fox Theater. This was close, nice ambiance and Peruvian food - which isn't all that commonplace. Its heavily weighted towards seafood, although I had a chicken dish that was very good. Check it outSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, service needs workjfoodieDined on 4/13/2014Food is 5 stars. Ceviche--generous portions, substantial spice level. Causas--yummy, esp the crab one! Empanadas--pastry is like heaven. Chicken brocheta--perfect chicken, vegetables had lots of smoke! Sponge cake with mascarpone/ricotta and strawberries--cake was light as air, cheese layers were delish, but strawberries were completely frozen. Alfajores--good, but not the best. Sadly, food was VERY slow and the courses were poorly timed. Also, my fiance ordered lomo saltada empanadas, but clearly got chicken instead. And then there were the frozen strawberries. Waitress was very sweet, but not always on top of it. The fact that she was so smiley and nice really helped a lot. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/3/2014The food is fine, there is a variety of dishes with good presentation but lacking in flavor. The restaurant is nice, nothing special but comfortable. I've been there three times and the service is hit or miss.Special Features:
- Good food and service butOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/29/2014Good food and service but the area is a bit sketchy but you will most likely be able to find a parking spot right in front so you can watch your car while you're eating.Special Features:
- Vibrant and flavorfulOaklandStrokeDined on 3/22/2014Tucked away behind a late-night burrito joint is one of the happiest finds for food we've experienced recently. The food at Tambo is vibrant, fresh, flavorful and really exciting. Great ceviche, (Nikkei is a favorite), beautifully cooked lomo, and the causas are so tasty. The opposite of bland and boring - everything was jam-packed with flavor. We will be back (again and again). Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantastic foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/22/2014We had a wonderful experience at this new restaurant. The food was delicious, beautifully prepared and plated. Our service was outstanding with our server knowledgeable, efficient and very nice!! We loved the potato dishes, and small plates. Can't wait to return to try lots of new things from the large menu. Parking is easy on the street in front of the restaurant, as the neighborhood is a bit sketchy. We will definitely return soon!! Thanks for a great meal!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great addition to East Bay diningfrtomVIPDined on 3/21/2014Good foor and freindly, attentive service make this a welcome addition to the East Bay food scene. Plenty of new foods to taste as well as a series of home made desert options make this a good bet on any night.Special Features:
- Give it a try!FoodVIPDined on 3/14/2014Good Peruvian food. Ceviche was excellent. Causas were terrific. Ahi de Gallina was OK but needed something more in it. Seafood dishes were good. Drawback is location, kind of seedy block. No liquor license either. Best for lunch when the strung out locals are not out and when you are not looking to have a cocktail before dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious Peruvian cuisine9ERPINAYDined on 3/7/2014Exactly the title of my review! Yummy! Definitely try the ceviche sampling. You choose 3 different ceviches from the 7 choices listed. Service was good. Dined @8pm. Probably a total of 5 tables with couples dining. Latin music background at the right volume setting. Decor is simple but just right for the small restaurant. I'd say if I were visiting/in the area then I would dine here again. Two downfalls are 1) the location - NOT a nice neighborhood (definitely not Piedmont) & 2) street parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the food, but not the waitOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/22/2014A Peruvian friend and I dined at Tambo on a Groupon. A large group was already seated, but the dining room didn't seem packed. For whatever reason, it took over an hour to get our first course. Given that our first two courses were uncooked (ceviche and causes), we couldn't figure out what the problem was. The meal ended up taking over two hours. That said, the flavors were delicious and the waitstaff and manager were apologetic. Our experience was mixed. We might try this place again, but only if we have plenty of time to spare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Varied Selection of FoodsJanButlerVIPDined on 2/22/2014Really enjoyed our dinner at Tambo. The food was well seasoned and flavorful. Our only comment is that service was very slow due to the inexperience of the wait staff. As an example, the waitress came to our table three separate times to deliver our three drinks... Maybe management needs to invest in serving trays. Also, servers were leaving the kitchen with only one plate when bringing multiple plates to a single table. Our dinner turned into a 2nplus hour venture. However our servers's food recommendations were spot on. I would like to go back for the food, but something needs to be done about the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but not good location,GraceDined on 2/22/2014Great food but not good location, staff was very friendly, and if your first timer, she'll explain about the food and recomend some foods what is best to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely worth a tryhipx2Dined on 2/21/2014Not many Peruvian restaurants to compare Tambo to, but we were pleased with our food and service. Lots of seafood dishes to choose from.Special Features:
- This was my second time hereglovesmVIPDined on 2/17/2014This was my second time here and I was looking forward to the empanada platter, which definitely hit the spot. We shared the brochette trio of chicken, beef, and chicken hearts. The hearts were not whole and tiny, which was a bit weird. We also shared the half Peruvian chicken, perfectly moist and delicious. Food - fantastic Service - pretty good for just one waitress but the kitchen was extremely slow so don't expect to get in and get out. If you don't mind the wait, this place is definitely worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First TimeACC1VIPDined on 2/15/2014I was excited to try Peruvian food -- and the food itself was good, but the experience and service left quite alot to be desired. We made reservations and arrived at the appropriate time, and waited a good 15 minutes while two other parties were seated before us. So we didn't get off to a good start. As the evening continued, the services continued to be less than desirable, with them taking a long time to bring drinks and times where we had to remind them to bring the drinks. My conclusion is that the restaurant is run by people who love to cook, but who know nothing about running a restaurant.