1400 Larimer Street
Denver, CO 80202Neighborhood:
Downtown / LoDo
Mexican / SouthwesternPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.richardsandoval.com/
- Phone: 7209461433x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday- Sunday 10:30-2:30pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm-11:00pm
Happy Hour: Daily 2pm-7pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican / Southwestern
- Executive Chef: Richard Sandoval
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (bar only), View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Tamayo is happy to tailor catered menus for your off-premise event.
- Special Events: Savor Chef Richard Sandoval’s acclaimed modern Mexican cuisine at Tamayo. Handcrafted margaritas and a selection of over 100 tequilas pair beautifully with the flavorful dishes.
From the outdoor terrace with sweeping views of the Rocky Mountains, to the main and private dining rooms, handmade Mexican artwork and authentic furnishings complete Tamayo’s dining experience.
For your next party, business meeting or special event, choose from one of our signature dining experiences or let us help you customize your own! Visit our website to view our event packages.
A word from Tamayo Restaurant
The menus at Tamayo offer a modern interpretation of authentic Mexican food with recipes created by critically acclaimed Chef/Owner Richard Sandoval at his Maya Restaurant in New York City. Our warm décor is spectacular with amber & coral colored walls featuring exquisite artwork that includes silver encrusted toucans, silver and volcanic rock guacamole bowls & Mayan masks to keep a watchful eye over the restaurant. Tamayo is truly a unique dining experience for intimate business luncheons, dinners, social events and large celebrations as well.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Tamayo Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
223 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (128)great for outdoor dining (71)special occasion (70)hot spot (69)good for groups (63)neighborhood gem (58)vibrant bar scene (47)scenic view (33)romantic (30)great for brunch (29)great for lunch (26)late-night find (20)kid-friendly (11)notable wine list (10)Show More
- Upscale Spanish CuisinesteveoVIPDined on 9/27/2014If you're interested in Spanish (vs Mexican) style food, I'd highly recommend Tamayo. Selection is varied - beef, seafood, poultry - with excellent sauces. For tequila lovers, the list is extensive. Wine list has some nice compliments to food. Upstairs has a nice outdoor bar and separate meal seating. Nice change of pace from other downtown restauants.Special Features:
- BakerDined on 9/27/2014Food and service were very good to excellent. We ate early in the evening and then walked to the Symphony. The restaurant experience nicely enhanced our evening and we hope to do it again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- guacamole fiesta & great foodDenvernewcomerDined on 9/27/2014My husband and I have been to Tamayo's a few times now and we like it more each time. We had a great waiter and hit their guacamole fiesta - we had the sampler which we enjoyed. I can now say I have also eaten dried grasshoppers as they were sprinkled on top of one of the guacamoles. Our main dishes were also good and from their house specials on the menu. It is always a fun and lively atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but so noisySnowellenVIPDined on 9/27/2014The service and food were great. It was so noisy I actually looked forward to being done. There isn't anything to absorb noise in the restaurant and we sat under a speaker. The music was loud but mixed with the people noise, you couldn't really recognize the music other than loud sounds above our head.Special Features:
- Good drinks, tastey drinksHottrix89Dined on 9/22/2014Been to this restaurant a few times and I have to say its a good place. Definitely recommend happy hour as the menu is pretty much half off including drinks. Tried a few of the signature dishes but I have to say the tacos/enchiladas are the day to go. That and the energetic atmosphere around you make this place pretty trendy. -side note (need bigger/better TVs)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tomato or TamayoEllieVIPDined on 9/21/2014What a great experience! The food was amazing... here are few favorites: guacamole, roasted corn soup (wow), and the beef short ribs cazuelas. Our server (Lea) was so much fun. The margaritas are great. Everything was just top notch. I highly recommend this place!!Special Features:
- nothing special...ilovemargsDined on 9/20/2014The downstairs is bustling, and the rooftop patio looks great but we were seated in this random extra room upstairs that was pretty deserted and not very good ambiance. The margs were pretty good. The guac was boring - we said "medium" spice level and it had no spice and no flavor. The food was decent, but nothing memorable. Overall just felt meh.Special Features:
- In need of a serious refreshReedelVIPDined on 9/20/2014The food and service on this, our first visit, was very good. The menu offered new twists on mexican favorites and everything was well prepared. Thebeef skewers and chicken mole as well as the sides (poblano au gratin potatoes and sauteed spinach) were great. The Ambiance brought the whole experience down. We were seated inside under an orange leaded glass chandelier which had wadded up napkins or kleenex someone has apparetnly tossed into it along with dead moths and other stuff - felt like it was not clean. The decor looked very 80s but not in a retro way - just outdated and tired. The noise level made conversation very difficult. There are many other options on or near Larimer Square that offer a more pleasant dining experience.
- Great brunchfood4thoughtDined on 9/20/2014Brunch at Tamayo is a great deal. Food and drinks are unlimited. Lots of options to choose from. Great for sharing and trying a variety of dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placePPJ11Dined on 9/19/2014Excellent food. Awesome menu. Beautiful presentation. Great service. A bit pricey but worth it for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Great food and servicesmurrowDined on 9/19/2014Start with one of their homemade guacs - my friend gobbled up most of it before I realized it! I ordered one of their taco dishes this time and was not disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First experience satisfyingmrbxtDined on 9/19/2014We had a quick pre-symphony dinner the other night. A guacamole sampler made a very nice start with a couple house margaritas, pairing 4 guacamole varieties with sides and salsas, with a good range of spice and flavor. Some fish tacos and the pork cazuela entrees also went down well; I thought the broth with the braise could have had a little finishing, but the dish had nice flavor with melting pork bites. Service seems well organized as well, and I can see returning on a future trip downtown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey but extremely tastyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014We especially enjoyed the sangria; get a pitcher if there's more than one person drinking it.Special Features:
- BlazorVIPDined on 9/16/2014The food and service were great. We were very luck to get an outside table (in fine weather) for the noise level inside was intollerable.Special Features:
- slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014Our waiter was very nice ,however, the greating was very slow , no suggestive selling not on drinks,appetizers, dinner features, my bill was 70 dollars but it could have been 120 with suggestive selling , maybe less tables per waiter , understaffed maybe . I am a restaurant General Manager and i would invest on a couple more servers or help in the dinning room. Those are just my thoughts. Hopefully this is helpful. Great food ,, just needs alittle help on speed of service !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very very saltydali560VIPDined on 9/15/2014The food was luke warm, the short ribs were extremely salty and burnt on the edges. Server was informed of the short ribs and offered more of it?? I will not be going there again, the mahi mahi tacos were bleh. Margs in cherry creek has way better fish tacos.Special Features:
- Gourmet Mexicanaps123VIPDined on 9/14/2014I love restaurants that serve traditional central Mexican cuisine. It's not often that you can get squash blossoms, chiles en nogada, huitalacoche and guacamole made so many different ways. The only think that I didn't like was my tequila flight- the tequilas were fine, I just wish they were served a little chilled (my personal preference).Special Features:
- Deeelish!!!!New2DenverDined on 9/13/2014The food here is fantastic and very unique! Definitely going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Downtown GemCSCoupleDined on 9/13/2014We enjoyed walking to this restaurant after a performance at the Denver Center. Service was outstanding. The menu has a lot of variety, and the quality was excellent. A great find!Special Features:
- Good and Fast tooKJOSIMPSONDined on 9/13/2014We had theater tickets (think most people did!) and the food came out FAST!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- up-scale mexicanMarkDined on 9/13/2014Great place to eat in downtown Denver. Fresh well prepared food with a flair. Loved the tuna guacamole and margaritas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/13/2014We had 15 people in our group and the most fantastic server. Would highly recommend for a birthday location!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TamayoantetheaterDined on 9/12/2014Attentive and friendly service, excellent food, seated promptly. A relaxing dinner. Recommend Tamayo highly.Special Features:
- great food; high$ , small portionsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014the food, what little was served, was yummy nut 13$ for no joke 4 spoons (the Asian soup spoons) of guacamole,,, lightoooooooooooooooooSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed at TamayoWendyDined on 9/6/2014When Tamayo first opened they were just the best; food, atmosphere, service. Not now. This reservation will be the third time I have made reservations in advance for an out door table upstairs. When I arrived the snotty hostess said that upstairs was closed for a private party. THIRD TIME this has happened. She said she tried to call to let me know. Not true. AND, telling me same day would have given me very little time on a Saturday night to make new plans. Asked about outside street side patio: "That's first come, first serve". Spent $240 on dinner that looked more like appetizers. Sure do miss the good old days when Tamayo had outstanding sangria, guacamole made fresh at your table, wonderful food and service. We won't be back...ever.
- Presentation pretty, taste mehDnvrtrvlrDined on 9/4/2014Come here for guac, salsa, good margs, dessert, to see/be seen-not for mediocre dinner. Second visit, again underwhelmed by the entrees, service and noise. Seated by bar, it's shouting loud. Servers knowledgeable, not friendly. Chips and salsa on request. Salsa delicious; chips fresher and whole. Last visit were chip shards. Presentation beautiful on each dish. Greasy beef skewers tasted off, chorizo was burned. Weird because bacon on same skewer was ice cold raw. Once again, garnish (avocado,chopped tomato) best part of dish. Soggy cactus leaf underneath icky. Shrimp chipolte-very good-5 large shrimp, tasty sauce, small salad of micro-greens. Tres Chocolate dessert was awesome! Server did not know if house-made (bet not-too good).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing, Amazing AmazingPattyDined on 9/3/2014amazing in all ways. Our server Alexsis was attentive, knowledgeble and takes great pride in her work,along with the team work of her coworkers. Food was delicious.Special Features:
- We loved it!LovetoeatDined on 8/30/2014There were 4 of us and everyone raved about the food. All the different layers of flavors resulted in a wonderful feast!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousLvgelatoDined on 8/30/2014Steak tacos were amazing. Friendly and efficient staff. Margaritas are always on spot. Nice place to bring a dateSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehJessieDined on 8/29/2014After seeing Tamayo's Restaurant Week menu, I was so excited to try it. Everything sounded so good, and I was sure it was going to be my new favorite restaurant in Denver. However, I was highly disappointed with the food. My skirt steak entree tasted like someone just dumped a bunch of garlic on it, and my "Mexican donut" dessert was just like Taco Bell's Cinnabon treats...only Taco Bell's are better. Needless to say, I will not be returning to Tamayo. The prices are way too high for the mediocre food they serve. (And our waitress wasn't attentive even though the restaurant wasn't busy.)
- Food is ok but is not Mexican foodjulfuentVIPDined on 8/28/2014The food is good a little expensive considering the portions and that the place is not very luxury. If this restaurant is pretending to serve Mexican food at least they should some Mexican Art at the restaurant or more quality and organic ingredients in the food.
- Amazing!LittletonRKDined on 8/28/2014Everything about our dining experience was fantastic. Nothing to complain about with the food, drinks, or service. We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Great spotfakeguyDined on 8/27/2014Mexican food restaurants that truly know mexican food, as opposed to the american version of mexican food, are hard to find. If you find Tamayo, you have found one. The flavors, the plating, the portions, all are spot on. The desserts are similarly well done. It's a busy place, even on a weeknight, but it is definitely worth planning ahead to make sure you can get in.Special Features:
- Downtown Denver DeliciousGaryVIPDined on 8/25/2014I was looking for a classy restaurant that serves authentic Mexican dishes instead of Tex-Mex. Tamayo is that restaurant. We dined outside on the second floor which was perfect on an August evening. Downstairs seemed a bit noisy, but I wouldn't let that keep me away. Daniel provided superb service.Special Features:
- Great timeBrecapDined on 8/24/2014We have a really REALLY great time! I had been before and when I suggested we go here for Restaurant Week all I could hope was that it was as good as it was 10years ago when I first came. And it was! We all had a wonderful time, dinner amazing and so was the service!!! Keep up the good work!Special Features:
- Great food, definitely will be backOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Everything is to enjoy about Yamayo. I had their tamale that is killer. Also, they have competitive beer pricing, not expensive. I will be coming back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014We had a great time there. The food was outstanding and the service was excellent. My wife is celiac and they went to extreme measures to assure her food was safe for her to eat. Definitely on our list of favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but very noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/22/2014The food was great, the service was excellent, but it was almost impossible to hear people across the table, because it was so noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Continues to be a stand outFoodieWannaBeDined on 8/22/2014We took out of town guests here recently. East coast, picky, high falutin' foodies. They nearly licked their plates clean. They were thrilled with our waitresses' knowledge - of the wine, specialty drinks, and the food (of course). I defy you to find anything wrong with your experience here. Everything is outstanding.Special Features:
- MinnesotanativeDined on 8/21/2014My faculty find that Tamayo Restaurant has good neuvo Mexican food and serves as a convenient meeting place for conversation as well as dining. Its location on Larimer Street is another draw since my faculty are usually traveling on foot from UC Denver campus and on a tight schedule.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.