1400 Larimer Street
Denver, CO 80202Neighborhood:
Downtown / LoDo
Mexican / SouthwesternPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.richardsandoval.com/
- Phone: 7209461433x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday- Sunday 10:30-2:30pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm-11:00pm
Happy Hour: Daily 2pm-7pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican / Southwestern
- Executive Chef: Richard Sandoval
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (bar only), View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Tamayo is happy to tailor catered menus for your off-premise event.
- Special Events: Savor Chef Richard Sandoval’s acclaimed modern Mexican cuisine at Tamayo. Handcrafted margaritas and a selection of over 100 tequilas pair beautifully with the flavorful dishes.
From the outdoor terrace with sweeping views of the Rocky Mountains, to the main and private dining rooms, handmade Mexican artwork and authentic furnishings complete Tamayo’s dining experience.
For your next party, business meeting or special event, choose from one of our signature dining experiences or let us help you customize your own! Visit our website to view our event packages.
A word from Tamayo Restaurant
The menus at Tamayo offer a modern interpretation of authentic Mexican food with recipes created by critically acclaimed Chef/Owner Richard Sandoval at his Maya Restaurant in New York City. Our warm décor is spectacular with amber & coral colored walls featuring exquisite artwork that includes silver encrusted toucans, silver and volcanic rock guacamole bowls & Mayan masks to keep a watchful eye over the restaurant. Tamayo is truly a unique dining experience for intimate business luncheons, dinners, social events and large celebrations as well.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Tamayo Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
251 reviews since July 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (150)hot spot (83)great for outdoor dining (80)special occasion (78)good for groups (77)neighborhood gem (64)vibrant bar scene (42)scenic view (41)romantic (30)great for brunch (28)great for lunch (27)late-night find (20)kid-friendly (8)notable wine list (8)Show More
- Pure deliciousness!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/29/2014Everything was delicious! The service was amazing, so ask for Alan when you go.Special Features:
- food wasn't as good as usualPattyDined on 10/28/2014The tortilla soup was watery and flat in flavor. Pulled pork amazing. Guacamole ok, salsa excellent. Salad excellent. They've stopped making corn soup which was disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Husbands 30th!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/25/2014Great service, served free tequila out of the blue, which really made my husbands birthday start off well! The apps we had were amazing, but the entrees were just okay. My mani mahi was well cooked but the whole plate was pretty bland. I would go back here for another special occasion because the apps and service were wonderful. This place is pricey as all get out so stopping for apps is probably a better option than full on dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tamayo saves the daydagunk1787Dined on 10/25/2014We were headed to a fundraiser that night that was serving dinner and we found out what was on the menu and decided to detour to Tamayo! Service was fast friendly and had great advice for choices for gluten free options. We had great sangria and coastal options like ceviche and scallops. Just outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PeggysueVIPDined on 10/25/2014The food was good, but came out cold. I thought the margaritas were very expensive for size.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/24/2014This was first time we dined at Tamayo. We were happy with the food and the experience. Our waitress was fantastic. Her name was Leah. We will come back and tell friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No service after food deliveredOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/24/2014I've been twice lately, but only for the food, which is superb. Meanwhile, it is extremely loud in the restaurant, and service was not to be found after we were served our entrees. Both times had to work hard to get a check and then pay. And don't look to get your water filled.Special Features:
- Great patio and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/24/2014We started off with the scrumptious tamayo margarita! We went with our waiters suggestion with the best carne asada I have ever had.....the flavor was off the charts. It tasted of smoky seared beef that was so tender for a skirt steak. We had a great spot on the patio with the view of the colorado mountains at sunset giving this dining experience a full 5 stars.....especially when you can snag a spot on the patio in good weather.Special Features:
- Always a winner!Foodie44VIPDined on 10/24/2014The food at Tamayo is very creative and always made with fresh ingredients. Service was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a sure betCemamDined on 10/22/2014The food is always outstanding, the service is excellent and you can actually have a conversation with your table mates without shouting.Special Features:
- Excellent dinner spot!Kathy73Dined on 10/21/2014Great menu and excellent service! Tamayo has great happy hour drink and food specials. The dinner menu offers a wide range of choices. It is within easy walking distance of 16th street mall. A good place to start before a night on the town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great margaritasBrooksbabeDined on 10/20/2014I love this restaurant. I have never had a bad meal here. The service is always excellent, the food is imaginative and different. I bring out of towners here consistently.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Brunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/19/2014We had the Sunday Brunch option. The food was superb, and the drinks were amazing. Staff was excellent.Special Features:
- Great Upscale Mexican FoodCueMakerDined on 10/18/2014I took my girlfriend to Tamayo the other evening for dinner. Her parents ran 3 Mexican restaurants when she was growing up, so I was interested in hearing her impressions - though it was the first visit for both of us. We had the mini-Relleno appetizer, the Mahi Mahi El-Dorado, and the Chile Seafood Relleno entrees. Everything was tasty, the sauces were spiced extremely well (I wish I could identify those spices so I could re-create at home). Presentations were beautiful - not always easy to do with Mexican food. The Tamayo margaritas were excellent too. We both enjoyed it very much. Definitely will go back.Special Features:
- Great findMichelleDined on 10/18/2014When I travel, I like to eat at a restaurant that I can only find in the city I am visiting. Tamayo's was a gem of a find. The service was great and the food was as well. I would definitely recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super ServerpoppamarkVIPDined on 10/18/2014We eat out at least twice a week and enjoy relaxing and interacting with our server. Occasionally one really stands out. Dorian is one of those- attentive, personable, efficient, and knowledgable. Tamayo`s is always a good choice too with a well priced wine list and noteble food!Special Features:
- A fantastic flavor filled dinnerMango61Dined on 10/17/2014Found Tamayo from great reviews online and we weren't disappointed. From the guacamole to the relleno sampler to the carnitas entree everything had a wonderful blend of spices and flavor. One of the best meals I've had in a long time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GailWBOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/17/2014Excellent cuisine and ambience! Extensive tequila selection!Special Features:
- A++TRYsomethingNEWDined on 10/11/2014The ambiance was wonderful. We sat in the rooftop dining area and enjoyed amazing food and service. Try the spicy mango margarita!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- try the patio upstairsShaunDined on 10/11/2014Delicious as always and the margaritas are great. First time on the patio upstairs and we'll worth it.Special Features:
- Saturday niteJlc241955Dined on 10/11/2014Very good and unusual upscale Mexican food. Great fella is. Excellent location on LarimerSpecial Features:
- Suboptimal serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014I was bothered by the service on this visit. I had ordered and entree with for myself and my guest in addition for an appetizer for us to share (the chicken flautas - they were okay, not amazing). The waitress took our order and asked if we'd like her to bring out the chips, salsa and guac, and we replied in the affirmative. Free chips and salsa is pretty standard in Mexican restaurants, and she paired the guac in the suggestion implying this was also included. Long story short, it wasn't and she charged us for the extra appetizer. I felt this was dishonest, so I deducted the cost of the guac from her tip. I have no reservations about doing so. The food overall was pretty good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best keeps getting bettertejoVIPDined on 10/11/2014We had a fine pre-symphony at dinner this past Saturday and were, as always, very pleased. Service (Lisa Ann) was top notch. The food was well prepared and presented in a timely and appealing manner. We visit Tamayo 2-3 times per year and recommend it highly to those looking for a reliable Spanish/Mexican oriented restaurant.Special Features:
- Our New Favoritesmth700VIPDined on 10/4/2014We have been to Tamayo several times now, and it is becoming our new favorite! The food is always spot-on and really delicious, the drinks are good, and the wait staff is attentive. They have a new menu (seemed seasonal?), and it is just as good as the old menu. Yum! Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty food tho priceymy3sonsDined on 10/3/2014The food has a fresh feel and the sauces are not to heavy. It's a more contemporary take on Mexican cuisine. It is, however, quite pricey even for vegetarian entrees. And apparently chips and salsa are not complementary.
- vamcdDined on 10/1/2014Food was just ok, we have had better back home in CT. Very noisy atmosphere. Guacamole very ordinary.Special Features:
- loved itemilymilDined on 9/30/2014Tamayo has a great menu with interesting, unique and wonderful selections. The cocktails are awesome too!Special Features:
- BakerDined on 9/27/2014Food and service were very good to excellent. We ate early in the evening and then walked to the Symphony. The restaurant experience nicely enhanced our evening and we hope to do it again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale Spanish CuisinesteveoVIPDined on 9/27/2014If you're interested in Spanish (vs Mexican) style food, I'd highly recommend Tamayo. Selection is varied - beef, seafood, poultry - with excellent sauces. For tequila lovers, the list is extensive. Wine list has some nice compliments to food. Upstairs has a nice outdoor bar and separate meal seating. Nice change of pace from other downtown restauants.Special Features:
- guacamole fiesta & great foodDenvernewcomerDined on 9/27/2014My husband and I have been to Tamayo's a few times now and we like it more each time. We had a great waiter and hit their guacamole fiesta - we had the sampler which we enjoyed. I can now say I have also eaten dried grasshoppers as they were sprinkled on top of one of the guacamoles. Our main dishes were also good and from their house specials on the menu. It is always a fun and lively atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but so noisySnowellenVIPDined on 9/27/2014The service and food were great. It was so noisy I actually looked forward to being done. There isn't anything to absorb noise in the restaurant and we sat under a speaker. The music was loud but mixed with the people noise, you couldn't really recognize the music other than loud sounds above our head.Special Features:
- Good drinks, tastey drinksHottrix89Dined on 9/22/2014Been to this restaurant a few times and I have to say its a good place. Definitely recommend happy hour as the menu is pretty much half off including drinks. Tried a few of the signature dishes but I have to say the tacos/enchiladas are the day to go. That and the energetic atmosphere around you make this place pretty trendy. -side note (need bigger/better TVs)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tomato or TamayoEllieVIPDined on 9/21/2014What a great experience! The food was amazing... here are few favorites: guacamole, roasted corn soup (wow), and the beef short ribs cazuelas. Our server (Lea) was so much fun. The margaritas are great. Everything was just top notch. I highly recommend this place!!Special Features:
- nothing special...ilovemargsDined on 9/20/2014The downstairs is bustling, and the rooftop patio looks great but we were seated in this random extra room upstairs that was pretty deserted and not very good ambiance. The margs were pretty good. The guac was boring - we said "medium" spice level and it had no spice and no flavor. The food was decent, but nothing memorable. Overall just felt meh.Special Features:
- In need of a serious refreshReedelVIPDined on 9/20/2014The food and service on this, our first visit, was very good. The menu offered new twists on mexican favorites and everything was well prepared. Thebeef skewers and chicken mole as well as the sides (poblano au gratin potatoes and sauteed spinach) were great. The Ambiance brought the whole experience down. We were seated inside under an orange leaded glass chandelier which had wadded up napkins or kleenex someone has apparetnly tossed into it along with dead moths and other stuff - felt like it was not clean. The decor looked very 80s but not in a retro way - just outdated and tired. The noise level made conversation very difficult. There are many other options on or near Larimer Square that offer a more pleasant dining experience.
- Great brunchfood4thoughtDined on 9/20/2014Brunch at Tamayo is a great deal. Food and drinks are unlimited. Lots of options to choose from. Great for sharing and trying a variety of dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placePPJ11Dined on 9/19/2014Excellent food. Awesome menu. Beautiful presentation. Great service. A bit pricey but worth it for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Great food and servicesmurrowDined on 9/19/2014Start with one of their homemade guacs - my friend gobbled up most of it before I realized it! I ordered one of their taco dishes this time and was not disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First experience satisfyingmrbxtDined on 9/19/2014We had a quick pre-symphony dinner the other night. A guacamole sampler made a very nice start with a couple house margaritas, pairing 4 guacamole varieties with sides and salsas, with a good range of spice and flavor. Some fish tacos and the pork cazuela entrees also went down well; I thought the broth with the braise could have had a little finishing, but the dish had nice flavor with melting pork bites. Service seems well organized as well, and I can see returning on a future trip downtown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey but extremely tastyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014We especially enjoyed the sangria; get a pitcher if there's more than one person drinking it.Special Features: