1400 Larimer Street
Denver, CO 80202Neighborhood:
Downtown / LoDo
Mexican / SouthwesternPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.richardsandoval.com/
- Phone: (720) 946-1433
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday- Sunday 10:30-2:30pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm-11:00pm
Happy Hour: Daily 2pm-7pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican / Southwestern
- Executive Chef: Richard Sandoval
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (bar only), View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Tamayo is happy to tailor catered menus for your off-premise event.
- Special Events: Savor Chef Richard Sandoval’s acclaimed modern Mexican cuisine at Tamayo. Handcrafted margaritas and a selection of over 100 tequilas pair beautifully with the flavorful dishes.
From the outdoor terrace with sweeping views of the Rocky Mountains, to the main and private dining rooms, handmade Mexican artwork and authentic furnishings complete Tamayo’s dining experience.
For your next party, business meeting or special event, choose from one of our signature dining experiences or let us help you customize your own! Visit our website to view our event packages.
A word from Tamayo Restaurant
The menus at Tamayo offer a modern interpretation of authentic Mexican food with recipes created by critically acclaimed Chef/Owner Richard Sandoval at his Maya Restaurant in New York City. Our warm décor is spectacular with amber & coral colored walls featuring exquisite artwork that includes silver encrusted toucans, silver and volcanic rock guacamole bowls & Mayan masks to keep a watchful eye over the restaurant. Tamayo is truly a unique dining experience for intimate business luncheons, dinners, social events and large celebrations as well.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Tamayo Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
254 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (157)hot spot (79)good for groups (69)special occasion (68)great for outdoor dining (66)neighborhood gem (59)vibrant bar scene (45)scenic view (33)romantic (26)great for brunch (25)great for lunch (25)late-night find (17)notable wine list (9)kid-friendly (5)Show More
- Interesting food, great serviceAbby123Dined on 11/22/2014High end Mexican food is interesting to me because the flavors and ingredients go so far beyond the usual experience. Great beet and nopales (sp?) salad, nicely spiced mahi mahi tacos. The service was great, the wine and drink list was enjoyable. I would definitely come back here to try something else.Special Features:
- Good stuffI812VIPDined on 11/22/2014All you can eat AND drink brunch for $35 was awesome!! We over stuffed ourselves on good foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 4 star dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/18/2014Overall, we had a very positive experience for dinner. We had the guac and shrimp ceviche for apps. The guac was a bit bland but the ceviche was excellent. My husband had the carne asada and liked it. We both loved my beef tacos - every bite had such depth of flavors. Our margs to start the night were very good. Wine list is a bit pricey. We didn't have any complaints about portion sizes. Our server was attentive and atmosphere had a nice vibe. Would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday brunch gem!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/16/2014We had a delightful brunch. The food was so good. The only problem was that we were too full to continue trying all the menu items on the bottomless brunch menu. I am a big fan of the Posole and guacamole.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique BrunchCoopDined on 11/15/2014Great concept, this brunch is different from most in the food items they offer. Not your average Mexican food offering, they put a lot of thought and creativity into each item. Service was outstanding, and if you leave hungry or thirsty it is your fault. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/13/2014Seriously, never had a better meal and service! I will say it was PERFECT and I have eaten there 3 times and it was the same...perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always love this place. Food & Service amazing!FanahmenalFoodDined on 11/13/2014Always love this place. Food & Service amazing! The only problem is parking ... Must walk in the snow as they don't have valet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/8/2014Extremely noisy next to the bar. Our appetizer congelaed when the flame went out under the heting unit. Main dishes tasteless in spite of all the condiments, etc. rthat were listed with the meals. When we complained at the end of the meal, the waitress took an appetizer off the bill, not the either of the main dishes that we complained about.
- DinnerJenaDined on 11/8/2014Great service and food, table was prepared on time for reservation. From appetizer to dessert, the food was great. Drinks and the bar was also a scene in itselfSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will always be on our listWoodyVIPDined on 11/8/2014We are huge Sandoval fans, so this is one of our favorites.Special Features:
- They know tequilaSandstormDined on 11/8/2014We weren't disappointed with Tamayo. We chose the spicy crab guac which had a good amount of crabmeat set on top of spicy guacamole. The handmade chips and red/green salsa were the perfect compliment. Bacon is on the list for next time. The nopales and beet salad was well balanced and crunchier than we expected but worth a test drive. My steak was artfully seasoned and done just the way I prefer. I really liked the potato poblano gratin that came along - creamy with the right amount of tang. The short rib enchiladas were excellent with the sauce only an expert can make. I don't like sweet drinks so my margarita was good tequila with fresh lime juice and just a hint of grand marnier. Perfect!Special Features:
- halwyattDined on 11/8/2014Unique food with great choices great service with personable server. Best guacSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic brunchckspireVIPDined on 11/8/2014Went or brunch having no idea what our experience was going to be like. We were greater and shown to our table where Nick made some fantastic selections for us off their brunch menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BdogDined on 11/7/2014Enjoyed to food and location. Drinks were a little small and over priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Rellenos and SaladFrequentParisvisitorDined on 11/7/2014The Special Rellenos sampler plate and the nopales and beet salad were excellent. The mango mojitos were also amazing! I was not overly impressed with the soup, but the salad more than made up for it.Special Features:
- Way loud!MikeyDined on 11/6/2014We sat at the bar. They have a very good and tasty happy hour/bar menu. Unfortunately, it is a very loud restaurant!Special Features:
- Dakota269Dined on 11/5/2014Menu was different than what you would find in most Mexican restaurants, which is why my friend and I liked. Good and service was great. We definitely will return.Special Features:
- Still a nice place.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/1/2014Richard S. has several concept restaurants around the city but to date Tamayo is still like dining with family. I miss the 'made at table Guac'. Portions are smaller, but that is actually a good thing. The sauces are flavorful but a bit skimpy. Meat tad overcooked but good. A few minutes rest in the warm Mole Poblano right as the meat comes off the grill would be wonderful. Don't read this wrong, I have brought people one a month this summer fall. Still one of my 'faves' to take people coming into town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gourmet MexicanjksullyDined on 11/1/2014Tasty & interesting food. Great service & fun ambiance. Tampiquena steak is not to be missed and can be shared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentESH8Dined on 11/1/2014One of the best Mexican restaurants in Denver. The seasoning is delicate and superb. I had a veal Chile Relleno that was wonderful. Their Margaritas are just how I like them, not sweet like most places. Wait staff are very friendly and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our pre play choiceTamayoDined on 10/31/2014We often park in the garage nearby, have a wonderful dinner here and walk to plays and ballets. The food is great and the waiters are always happy to get us out the door on time! Next time on the way back to parking we shall stop for dessert.Special Features:
- Just okOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/31/2014We felt the food was marginal at best, small portions for the price and flavorless. The service was the best part of the evening!
- Fabulous Food!CindiDined on 10/30/2014We revisited this restaurant after several years and were really impressed with the quality of the food. The salmon and pork carnitas entrees were amazing! Dishes are creative and servers are very attentive, friendly, and helpful. We will be returning soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/29/2014The food was good but under seasoned. The service was very good and our server knowledgeable. The only other thing is pricing 10$ guac? an 11$ marg that's in a highball glass & 9$ for a small glass of sangria? It's just to expensive for what you get.
- Pure deliciousness!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/29/2014Everything was delicious! The service was amazing, so ask for Alan when you go.Special Features:
- food wasn't as good as usualPattyDined on 10/28/2014The tortilla soup was watery and flat in flavor. Pulled pork amazing. Guacamole ok, salsa excellent. Salad excellent. They've stopped making corn soup which was disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Husbands 30th!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/25/2014Great service, served free tequila out of the blue, which really made my husbands birthday start off well! The apps we had were amazing, but the entrees were just okay. My mani mahi was well cooked but the whole plate was pretty bland. I would go back here for another special occasion because the apps and service were wonderful. This place is pricey as all get out so stopping for apps is probably a better option than full on dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tamayo saves the daydagunk1787Dined on 10/25/2014We were headed to a fundraiser that night that was serving dinner and we found out what was on the menu and decided to detour to Tamayo! Service was fast friendly and had great advice for choices for gluten free options. We had great sangria and coastal options like ceviche and scallops. Just outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PeggysueVIPDined on 10/25/2014The food was good, but came out cold. I thought the margaritas were very expensive for size.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/24/2014This was first time we dined at Tamayo. We were happy with the food and the experience. Our waitress was fantastic. Her name was Leah. We will come back and tell friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No service after food deliveredOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/24/2014I've been twice lately, but only for the food, which is superb. Meanwhile, it is extremely loud in the restaurant, and service was not to be found after we were served our entrees. Both times had to work hard to get a check and then pay. And don't look to get your water filled.Special Features:
- Great patio and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/24/2014We started off with the scrumptious tamayo margarita! We went with our waiters suggestion with the best carne asada I have ever had.....the flavor was off the charts. It tasted of smoky seared beef that was so tender for a skirt steak. We had a great spot on the patio with the view of the colorado mountains at sunset giving this dining experience a full 5 stars.....especially when you can snag a spot on the patio in good weather.Special Features:
- Always a winner!Foodie44VIPDined on 10/24/2014The food at Tamayo is very creative and always made with fresh ingredients. Service was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a sure betCemamDined on 10/22/2014The food is always outstanding, the service is excellent and you can actually have a conversation with your table mates without shouting.Special Features:
- Excellent dinner spot!Kathy73Dined on 10/21/2014Great menu and excellent service! Tamayo has great happy hour drink and food specials. The dinner menu offers a wide range of choices. It is within easy walking distance of 16th street mall. A good place to start before a night on the town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great margaritasBrooksbabeDined on 10/20/2014I love this restaurant. I have never had a bad meal here. The service is always excellent, the food is imaginative and different. I bring out of towners here consistently.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Brunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/19/2014We had the Sunday Brunch option. The food was superb, and the drinks were amazing. Staff was excellent.Special Features:
- Great Upscale Mexican FoodCueMakerDined on 10/18/2014I took my girlfriend to Tamayo the other evening for dinner. Her parents ran 3 Mexican restaurants when she was growing up, so I was interested in hearing her impressions - though it was the first visit for both of us. We had the mini-Relleno appetizer, the Mahi Mahi El-Dorado, and the Chile Seafood Relleno entrees. Everything was tasty, the sauces were spiced extremely well (I wish I could identify those spices so I could re-create at home). Presentations were beautiful - not always easy to do with Mexican food. The Tamayo margaritas were excellent too. We both enjoyed it very much. Definitely will go back.Special Features:
- Great findMichelleDined on 10/18/2014When I travel, I like to eat at a restaurant that I can only find in the city I am visiting. Tamayo's was a gem of a find. The service was great and the food was as well. I would definitely recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super ServerpoppamarkVIPDined on 10/18/2014We eat out at least twice a week and enjoy relaxing and interacting with our server. Occasionally one really stands out. Dorian is one of those- attentive, personable, efficient, and knowledgable. Tamayo`s is always a good choice too with a well priced wine list and noteble food!Special Features: