546 University Ave.
Palo Alto, CA 94301Neighborhood:
VietnamesePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.tamarinerestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6503258500
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vietnamese, Asian
- Executive Chef: Tammy Huynh
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: To experience Tamarine in a private setting, the restaurant is pleased to offer three elegant private dining options that can seat from 10 to 155 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Charles Chen 6503258500x104
A word from Tamarine
Tamarine is a contemporary Vietnamese restaurant that features the light but flavor-intensive culinary delicacies of Vietnam. The restaurant offers a menu based on small plates, promoting the Vietnamese tradition of the 'shared' meal in which food is shared and enjoyed with those close. Tamarine's small plate entrees are enjoyed with the pairing of a variety of aromatic, flavor infused rice, designed to be mixed and matched to create a truly unique flavor experience. Along with culinary delicacies of Vietnam, the restaurant showcases the works of emerging artists from Vietnam and other Southeast Asian countries. Semi-annual exhibits will close with a cocktail event to auction the art. Proceeds will be donated to La Maison Chance, an orphanage in Saigon, Vietnam.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Tamarine - Best Restaurants in Palo Alto ›
Tamarine reviews from OpenTable diners
188 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (124)special occasion (97)neighborhood gem (66)great for lunch (49)romantic (44)hot spot (42)good for groups (41)notable wine list (33)vibrant bar scene (28)late-night find (11)great for brunch (5)kid-friendly (5)scenic view (1)Show More
- A nearly perfect experience!SavorerDined on 9/21/2014We arrived a little late but our table was still waiting for us. The greeter was friendly and nice. Our waitress was FANTASTIC! Observant and helpful and cheerful. Can't remember when I've had such good service from an entire staff. Ambience is "chic today". I had not been to Tamarine in a long time because I do not live in the area. But I was so thrilled with the experience that I can't wait to return for another savory meal! Food was as good as the service. Just a delicious combination of flavors.Special Features:
- Wonderful FlavorsbeedeeDined on 9/15/2014Tamarin's food was delicious! The flavors were complex and interesting. We had a gluten free diner with us and he had many choices that either were prepared gluten free or that could be adapted to be gluten free. The evening was perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/14/2014My family has been dining at Tamarine since it opened in Palo Alto; we have menu favorites that we order every time! We always try to take out of town guests there. On our most recent visit, however, I have to say that the quality of our favorites has changed: there was a different (not nearly as good) sauce that accompanied the calamari, the soup was lacking its customary lemongrass zing, the signature prawns arrived with soggy noodles. I felt the changes detracted from the overall food experience.Special Features:
- Good all around experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/13/2014I came here with my family to celebrate my mother's birthday. Ambience was great. Service was excellent. We had some dietary restrictions and the staff accommodated all out requests. Food was excellent. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good not great4SistersDined on 9/13/2014My sister and I have dined here multiple times. It has a nice ambience, is not too noisy, great service, and the food is usually very good. However, this time, our favorite dish, clay pot cod, was too salty. And the Tamarine prawns dish was not notable in any way, particularly since it had the same type of salty sauce on it. We did enjoy the caramelized cauliflower and recommend this dish. It was not a bad dinner, but for the price, I expected better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but tables too closeDinerDaveDined on 9/13/2014We went to Tamarine on a Saturday5 pm. The 2-person tables were almost full, and the couple seated next to us was so close to our table you could hear everything they said. The rows of 2-person tables are extremely close together. Don't expect to have any private conversation! The tables were also too small, the waiter had trouble fitting our food on the table. Service was very good and the food was great!! Perhaps it would be a better experience on a less crowded weekday?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Flavors, Light on PortionsWoffySFVIPDined on 9/8/2014The food is very tasty and not overly seasoned. The portion sizes are quite small, so plan on ordering several entree's. Good restaurant and I would definitely go again.Special Features:
- Wonderful, wonderful Tamarine...PekeDined on 9/6/2014Tamarine provides a great ambiance, fantastic and friendly service, AMAZING food, considerate reservation services, an extensive and delicious wine and champagne list, a convenient prix fixe lunch menu ... really the best dining experience in Palo Alto. I've been here for lunch, for dinner, for large parties, on busy days and on quiet days and I have always had an awesome experience with consistently well executed and delicious food. Will repeat many, many, many times in the future. P.S. don't forget to leave room for dessert; it like the food will blow your mind.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Da bombEnnuiDined on 9/5/2014So many reasons to recommend: outstanding food, perfect for business lunches, parking lot adjacent, etc. My favorite reason to recommend: owner Anna is a hottieSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GreatEnjoyLosGatosVIPDined on 9/2/2014Tamarine is an excellent restaurant with a great selection of various appetizers and meals all of which are delicious, especially the Black Cod, and the service is always great no matter how busy it gets. The interior is very appealing but not over the top. If you haven't been here you should definitely give it a try.Special Features:
- AkshayaDined on 8/30/2014The food was very average. It was not authentic Vietnamese at all, there were barely couple of Vietnamese dishes on the menu, the food is more Pan Asian. The appetizers were pre-made and cold. The Bahn me roti was very very oily. The entree were very bland and not very flavorful. We drove all the way from San Francisco to try this place out, as it had great reviews. But it is no where close to any of the restaurants in San Francisco, like Slanted Doors or Straights.Special Features:
- Good food, great servicerun2eatDined on 8/30/2014It was my son's 20th birthday and when we arrived our table was ready right on time, an envelope was waiting at the table addressed Happy Birthday with a small box of cookies. Nice touch. The food was excellent. The four of us ordered 4 starters, salt & pepper calamari x2, spring rolls, shrimp and corn fritters. All but the rolls were outstanding. The sauce for the calamari was perfect. However the rolls were bland, tasteless and disappointing. Entrees were out of this world, wild boar, duck, black cod and steak. Each with perfectly paired sauces and the tomato rice was heavenly. Overall a great night and when we left the hostess wished my son Happy Birthday on the way out. Nice job!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very nice placeMissMiaVIPDined on 8/28/2014Romantic ambiance, amazing food and very good service.Special Features:
- mikeDined on 8/28/2014Great presentation of delicious food. Server was cheerful and extremely attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/23/2014A total failure on the wine. We brought a 1989 Napa cab and told the waiter we did not want to decant it. He broke the cork opening it (screw went in near the edge and was too short in any case) then said he didn't want to push the cork in so he would bring it to the bar where they had all the right tools. Close to 15 minutes later someone from the bar returned with the cork inside the bottle and the wine in a decanter, against our express wishes. Whatever fruit might have been left was surely dissipated, and we could not examine the rest of the cork to determine its condition. The waiter did not apologize, nor did he demonstrate any sense of the magnitude of this faux pas, until we explained it to him at the end. 3 of 5 dishes were good.
- TamarineOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/22/2014Love Tamarine! Food is always excellent -- especially love the empress rice, kale salad, and desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- coffeelarryVIPDined on 8/21/2014need real coffee. hard to end a great meal with the stuff they serveSpecial Features:
- Outstanding high-end VietnameseJTH1Dined on 8/20/2014SOOOO good. Been a few times and tried many different items. Never ceases to delight. A go to spot for sophisticated Vietnamese.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful flavorsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/19/2014Love the food at Tamarine. We especially enjoyed the tuna appetizer, kale salad, and the Shaking Beef. I was celebrating my birthday with friends and when we arrived they had the table all set up with a birthday card and a little present - what a nice touch. The service is always top notch. This is my third visit to the restaurant and it never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely placeVeggiequeen1Dined on 8/15/2014This was our very first time to this place. We were celebrating my husbands birthday. We are vegetarian and the waiter was super nice and suggested few items that we loved. My best friend also recommended a lot of items and we picked few. Overall very friendly environment and welcoming staff. Quick serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Vietnamese Foodfoodlover1Dined on 8/14/2014I wasn't impressed when I visited this restaurant in a group of 20 ordering from group menus before. But, this time I dined with 2 others and we were very impressed how all the dishes are meticulously cooked and prepared. I will come back again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/11/2014Great food, though a bit pricy. I always enjoy coming back.Special Features:
- Sweet MeatSarahLootisDined on 8/8/2014Tamarine has innovative ideas but their entrees are trending sweeter each time I visit. The dishes are screaming for some heat, so speak up and ask your server for hot sauce - he/she will bring you a lovely plate of three options all of which are great for fixing overly sweet and under spicy Asian fusion dishes. I also miss the green peppercorn branzino and the green curry reduction over pork. It's great when a menu changes over time but sad when great dishes are replaced with ones that aren't as complex and balanced (earthy, smoky, spicy, slightly sweet).I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brilliantjlb1Dined on 8/8/2014Outstanding food and service as ever. Jeff (Friday) and Sam (Saturday) provided superb service.Special Features:
- great food!foodie4life123Dined on 8/7/2014one of the select few high-end vietnamese restaurants that's actually worth the money. every dish we ordered was absolutely delicious. we tried the sticky rice, wild boar, and glass noodles with crab. for dessert, we devoured the banana beignets with coconut ice cream. we will definitely be coming back – mmm, so good!Special Features:
- Delicious food but no talkingJenLDDined on 8/5/2014This is the second time we've been to Tamarine. The food was delicious both times -- delicate flavors, artful presentation. I had a vegetation "sausage" which was made from leeks and tofu. It was interesting but I preferred the beef dish selected by my spouse. The only problem, and it is a big one, is that conversation was not really possible. To rate the noise level as "energetic" is an understatement. It was in fact unpleasant and stressful to dine, even on a Tuesday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SurprisedChipsterVIPDined on 8/5/2014Great location, great look, great service, great appetizers. All of the 4 main courses we tried were very average, compared to the many Vietnamese restaurants in the Valley.
- Good food & good serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/3/2014It had been a while since we were to Tamarine - so we decided to drive up. The food was very good as it always had been - the service seemed even more attentive that before. Had a few new dishes and a couple old standards - loved them all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/3/2014Dining at Tamarine is not only a perfect gustatory experience, but also one filled with over the top service and personal care! I took my friend there for a birthday celebration , and we felt that we were being wined and dined by friends who wanted us to have the perfect eating and celebrating experience. My friend was so impressed that she returned the next day for another celebration!Special Features:
- So delicious & the best serviceJFNYCDined on 8/2/2014Tamarine never ceases to amaze me. I noted that it was my mother's birthday in the reservation, and the restaurant went so out of their way to recognize her on her special day that I was astounded. I've never seen such wonderful personal touches The food is literally to die for. A trip to Palo Alto is never complete without dinner at Tamarine. I also love that when I do decide to be vegetarian for meals, the all veggie options are also astounding. My favorite restaurant and so deserving!Special Features:
- WonderfulKe1913Dined on 8/2/2014Great, varied menu. Something for everyone. Wonderful variety, beautiful presentation, helpful waitstaff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Write It Down!PTown82VIPDined on 8/2/2014As a waitress, if you think you're smart enough to take an order without writing it down, than you better be smart enough to get it right! As always, the food was awesome, but I missed my favorite dish. By the time I realized it wasn't coming, it was too late to go back and add it. Next time, write it down!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always fabulousAmeliaDined on 8/1/2014Love my dinner outings at Tamarine, always good service and good food.Special Features:
- Top NotchmikethewineguyDined on 7/27/2014Our first visit and we did not know anything about the restaurant besides the info on the website (it was accurate). We had trouble getting to the restaurant at the time we had originally reserved, but the staff was gracious and accommodating of our time difficulties. We were greeted warmly and seated as soon as we arrived. The staff was efficient without making us feel hurried. The waiter explained the items on the menu and made very helpful suggestions. The food was unique, and each item was beautifully prepared, presented and savored. We enjoyed it so much, we relaxed and were comfortable being late for the show at the Shoreline.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cubsfanDined on 7/26/2014Have eaten here a number of times, but the last visit was among the best. Consistently impressed by the character of the food every time I visit.Special Features:
- jamieVIPDined on 7/26/2014Service is excellent, as is the food. Most remarkable was the corn fritters with shrimp; crisp fritter with perfect snippets of shrimp. The shaking beef and the basil tofu were perfectly prepared and seasoned. Portion sizes were generous. Everyone there seemed to be enjoying the food and conversation. We will be back.Special Features:
- Great food, bad servicejancatDined on 7/24/2014We really enjoyed the food and drinks that was served to us, but it took forever. We had a gift card for this place, which was the only reason we went out to eat here. The tables are squished so close together, you can't even walk through the aisle to leave. The waiters were sucking in and squeezing through. We had to walk all the way around towards the back to even get out the door. Not to mention, we also felt we were involved with our table neighbor's conversations because our tables were only inches away. Our food took at least 30 minutes to arrive and we were pretty hungry, so the waiting felt even worse. We did notice that our neighboring table got their food less than 10 min after they ordered. Very inconsistent!Special Features:
- Getting a bit jadedJadedVIPDined on 7/24/2014Had lunch with a client. He chose trout and I chose the prawns, the traditional signature dish. Both were average. Based on these two dishes, the restaurant needs to freshen up a bit... Won't return too soon.
- Asian-fusion food is outstandinggoodeatsDined on 7/23/2014Tamarine has the best Asian-fusion food on the Peninsula. It is consistently high quality. I have had dinner many times and it never disappoints. Try the Hoison lamb chops with Bok Choy and sweet potato fries.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DebbieDined on 7/20/2014Really enjoyed our first visit here. Food was delicious and nicely presented. We didn't understand that the food was served family style and would have ordered differently had we known.Special Features: