546 University Ave.
Palo Alto, CA 94301Neighborhood:
VietnamesePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.tamarinerestaurant.com/
- Phone: (650) 325-8500
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vietnamese, Asian
- Executive Chef: Tammy Huynh
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: To experience Tamarine in a private setting, the restaurant is pleased to offer three elegant private dining options that can seat from 10 to 155 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Charles Chen 6503258500x104
A word from Tamarine
Tamarine is a contemporary Vietnamese restaurant that features the light but flavor-intensive culinary delicacies of Vietnam. The restaurant offers a menu based on small plates, promoting the Vietnamese tradition of the 'shared' meal in which food is shared and enjoyed with those close. Tamarine's small plate entrees are enjoyed with the pairing of a variety of aromatic, flavor infused rice, designed to be mixed and matched to create a truly unique flavor experience. Along with culinary delicacies of Vietnam, the restaurant showcases the works of emerging artists from Vietnam and other Southeast Asian countries. Semi-annual exhibits will close with a cocktail event to auction the art. Proceeds will be donated to La Maison Chance, an orphanage in Saigon, Vietnam.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVietnamese
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Tamarine - Best Restaurants in Palo Alto ›
Tamarine reviews from OpenTable diners
208 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (147)special occasion (108)neighborhood gem (63)good for groups (56)romantic (50)great for lunch (49)hot spot (47)notable wine list (42)vibrant bar scene (30)late-night find (10)kid-friendly (6)great for brunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/15/2014We were seated on time and taken to a table that was a response to a requests. The waiter was friendly and helpful in his suggestions about how many dishes to order, which would be good to share, which were spicey. Food was interesing and delicious! We were having a birthday celebration and they brought a special dessert for the occasion. Nice! The whole evening was very special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth itFoodnserviceVIPDined on 11/7/2014There are better places to dine. Food was overly sweet and tasted all the same. Think the same sauce was used. Service was ok borderline spotty. Hostess was great, however. Dismal value. We've had better quality, creativity, and quantity in almost all places we've dined. 4 spread-to-look-big shrimps on a bed of fried string cellophane for $28 may be ok for some but not for us.
- Always deliversSkylarLuciaVIPDined on 11/6/2014My favorite Peninsula restaurant. Great food (claypot cod, Brussel sprouts, sweet potato fries, lemongrass fish, empress rice), everything is delicious...consistently.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite in Silicon ValleyLuvitDined on 11/3/2014We love the food and service at Tamarine. The quality is consistent and excellent. Very helpful and friendly servers. We will keep coming back again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PeopleHostDined on 11/2/2014Every Tamarine employee we had interactions with was extremely gracious. We noticed particularly because my wife was using a walker and moving with difficulty. The front door was opened for us with a smile and a welcome. We were seated conveniently, and he walker was whisked out of sight. The food was at its usual high standard, although they were out of the duck. The one issue that marred our visit little bit was the service; it seemed slow. We were a party of four, and talking and laughing, but we still noticed what felt like delays. This was a Sunday evening, and perhaps they had the B-team in the kitchen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 10/31/2014Coming to this restaurant for more then 10 years - no disappointment!Special Features:
- Tamarine Fusion Style HalloweenCarloLDined on 10/31/2014Excellent bar service and setup, the cocktails are always a real treat and their tricks are very pleasant. The lamb chops, shaking beef and various appetizers pleased all five of us attending. Bravo, Tamarine!Special Features:
- Amazing as always!CarolDined on 10/30/2014We enjoyed David's cocktails at the bar. Truly exceptional. Food was perfectly prepared and service perfect. My favorite in northern californiaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Emms4Dined on 10/29/2014I have taken friends there for lunch and dinner many times. The last time the food was not very good. I had a big party and I ordered about eight dishes before the guests arrive. The waiter brought the first three appetizers before any guest arrive. That was a very bad idea. I expect the waiter to know that any food should arrive when all the guests had sat down and ordered their drinks first. I had better experience before and wonder if Tamarine has changed hand?
- foodie conversationBritfoodieDined on 10/22/2014Really nice atmosphere and nice to chat about ingredients with your date. Fried rice perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food & Perfect Business LunchWoffySFVIPDined on 10/22/2014Tamarine is a fantastic place if you have a business lunch meeting in Palo Alto. It's closer to the freeway than most restaurants and there's free parking in the lot behind the restaurant. Bonus! The clientele and atmosphere is very nice and upscale. And the food is prepared very well. Not greasy, not overpowering. Just nice, tasty sauces, served elegantly and delicious. Everything I tried was good. The calamari is a stand out for sure for me. And the special rice with the egg on top. So good.Special Features:
- My new favorite!PerJDined on 10/21/2014Gives Vietnamese cuisine a whole new identity....my new favorite restaurant. Might bring a large group there in the Spring.Special Features:
- always a treatOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/20/2014Tamarine never disappoints. The calamari is outstanding - and the carmelized cauliflower was also great. Always great, innovative food with terrific flavors.Special Features:
- Consistently AmazingMarkoDined on 10/17/2014When special friends visit from out of town, we always bring them to this restaurant for a special treat. It never disappoints.Special Features:
- Never disappointsPalyfoodieDined on 10/14/2014I work on University Avenue and have been going to Tamerine since it opened. It is my go-to restaurant for birthdays, anniversaries and any special occasions with family and friends. In my opinion it just keeps getting better (and it was great in the beginning!). You can count on them for their consistent, flavorful and amazing dishes that surprise the newbies and bring a smile to their faces and a rise to their brow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- out2dinnerout2dinnerDined on 10/14/2014The food at Tamarine is just delicious. The Pork Lettuce Cups, Tamarine Prawns, Shrimp Spring Rolls and Coconut Rice were all wonderful. Great service too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Get the Wok Fried Garlic NoodlesOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/13/2014This place was recommended to me from a couple ladies at another restaurant in town and I am so happy I listened to them. We sat at the communal table in the center of the restaurant which was perfect for a quiet Monday night. It was romantic but not stuffy. We had the Wok fried noodles which are not fried at all.. the Tamarine Taste App whig was perfect o share and try a few apps.. and the Brussel sprouts which were also super tasty! All those items made a perfect meal for two. I would definitely come back here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday celebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/10/2014We had a wonderful time at Tamarine for my wife's birthday. Both of our children and their spouses were on hand. We had excellent food and a great server who was extremely accommodating and helpful. A great celebrationSpecial Features:
- Still serving excellent foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/10/2014It has been a while but nothing has changed at Tamarine and that is a good thing. The shaking (or shakey) beef was excellent as were the Tamarine prawns. Calamari appetizer came with a very good cilantro dipping sauce and was wonderful as well. The garlic noodles are simply outstanding. We loved our meal and really appreciated the quiet area so we could hear each other talk. We'll back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overpriced Good food w/ pretenseTwinsMomVIPDined on 10/9/2014If you have money that you wanna burn, here's the place to go! The food is good quality but not worth the price. I have better roti at a fraction of the price in south bay. The play pot cod is very tender and perfectly flavored but twice as much as a fair restaurant price. The waiter is subtle but pushy about ordering more than enough. Luckiky we did not follow his advice. We were squeezed in a dark corner, becauseapparently the room was divided due to a big business dinner party. So we oaid extra price for the supposedly ambience, but we ended with this ugly temporary brown paneling right next to our elbows and table. Would not recommend this nor come back again. The wine list is at least twice as expensive as other restaurants.Special Features:
- Good Food, PriceydavustekDined on 10/4/2014Brought my Girlfriend who's Vietnamese on a date night. We thought the food was pretty good but pricey. I had the Boar and she had the Cod. I enjoyed my entrée while she just "liked" hers. I know it's Palo Alto but come on... 150.00 with tip for 2 with 2 glasses of wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just a nice placeItalianboyDined on 10/2/2014Everything was very good but not excellent. Overall has a nice layout, food, service and scenery. So I do recommend is restaurant as a very satisfying experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great serviceMaryWDined on 10/2/2014This is a fun restaurant for small groups. Lots of great food good for sharing. We tried the salt & pepper calamari which came with a well-spiced cilantro dipping sauce, as well as the green papaya salad for appetizers. We split four entrees and sides. The wild boar tenderloin with couscous was delicious. Our coconut tapioca dessert came with mango and coconut ice cream and disappeared very fast. Service was outstanding. Clean plates arrived at appropriate times and we never had to ask for a refill of our wine and water glasses.
- Great experienceSpecialVIPDined on 9/27/2014Tamarine is a good balance of creative and delicious cuisine, as well as the nice ambiance. Great for celebrating a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great experienceToDine4Dined on 9/26/2014It's been three or so years since I last went to Tamarine, our waiter was the same waiter as my previous visit, that tells me a lot. Sam mentioned he has been there for 7+ years. Great food great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food solid as alwaysBEdiningDined on 9/24/2014This has always been a food favorite of mine. Food quality typically very good and the nuanced flavor sparky well together.Special Features:
- A nearly perfect experience!SavorerDined on 9/21/2014We arrived a little late but our table was still waiting for us. The greeter was friendly and nice. Our waitress was FANTASTIC! Observant and helpful and cheerful. Can't remember when I've had such good service from an entire staff. Ambience is "chic today". I had not been to Tamarine in a long time because I do not live in the area. But I was so thrilled with the experience that I can't wait to return for another savory meal! Food was as good as the service. Just a delicious combination of flavors.Special Features:
- Food is very good!beverlyluvVIPDined on 9/20/2014We sat at the bar and had a wonderful dinner! The menu is fun to read through but hard to choose what to order!Special Features:
- Great food, atmosphere.SomethingoodDined on 9/18/2014Tamarine has fabulous food, attentive and helpful service, and comfortable surroundings. It has a "serious" vibe, and I wouldn't go there for a party where I wanted to chuckle out loud. However, for business or evening dining with friends, it would be great, especially since it is one of the least noisy restaurants I have visited recently. I do believe the price was a bit high for what we ordered, which was a series of very traditional Vietnamese dishes. Nonetheless, it is quality.Special Features:
- Wonderful FlavorsbeedeeDined on 9/15/2014Tamarin's food was delicious! The flavors were complex and interesting. We had a gluten free diner with us and he had many choices that either were prepared gluten free or that could be adapted to be gluten free. The evening was perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/14/2014My family has been dining at Tamarine since it opened in Palo Alto; we have menu favorites that we order every time! We always try to take out of town guests there. On our most recent visit, however, I have to say that the quality of our favorites has changed: there was a different (not nearly as good) sauce that accompanied the calamari, the soup was lacking its customary lemongrass zing, the signature prawns arrived with soggy noodles. I felt the changes detracted from the overall food experience.Special Features:
- Good all around experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/13/2014I came here with my family to celebrate my mother's birthday. Ambience was great. Service was excellent. We had some dietary restrictions and the staff accommodated all out requests. Food was excellent. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good not great4SistersDined on 9/13/2014My sister and I have dined here multiple times. It has a nice ambience, is not too noisy, great service, and the food is usually very good. However, this time, our favorite dish, clay pot cod, was too salty. And the Tamarine prawns dish was not notable in any way, particularly since it had the same type of salty sauce on it. We did enjoy the caramelized cauliflower and recommend this dish. It was not a bad dinner, but for the price, I expected better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but tables too closeDinerDaveDined on 9/13/2014We went to Tamarine on a Saturday5 pm. The 2-person tables were almost full, and the couple seated next to us was so close to our table you could hear everything they said. The rows of 2-person tables are extremely close together. Don't expect to have any private conversation! The tables were also too small, the waiter had trouble fitting our food on the table. Service was very good and the food was great!! Perhaps it would be a better experience on a less crowded weekday?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Flavors, Light on PortionsWoffySFVIPDined on 9/8/2014The food is very tasty and not overly seasoned. The portion sizes are quite small, so plan on ordering several entree's. Good restaurant and I would definitely go again.Special Features:
- Wonderful, wonderful Tamarine...PekeDined on 9/6/2014Tamarine provides a great ambiance, fantastic and friendly service, AMAZING food, considerate reservation services, an extensive and delicious wine and champagne list, a convenient prix fixe lunch menu ... really the best dining experience in Palo Alto. I've been here for lunch, for dinner, for large parties, on busy days and on quiet days and I have always had an awesome experience with consistently well executed and delicious food. Will repeat many, many, many times in the future. P.S. don't forget to leave room for dessert; it like the food will blow your mind.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Da bombEnnuiDined on 9/5/2014So many reasons to recommend: outstanding food, perfect for business lunches, parking lot adjacent, etc. My favorite reason to recommend: owner Anna is a hottieSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GreatEnjoyLosGatosVIPDined on 9/2/2014Tamarine is an excellent restaurant with a great selection of various appetizers and meals all of which are delicious, especially the Black Cod, and the service is always great no matter how busy it gets. The interior is very appealing but not over the top. If you haven't been here you should definitely give it a try.Special Features:
- AkshayaDined on 8/30/2014The food was very average. It was not authentic Vietnamese at all, there were barely couple of Vietnamese dishes on the menu, the food is more Pan Asian. The appetizers were pre-made and cold. The Bahn me roti was very very oily. The entree were very bland and not very flavorful. We drove all the way from San Francisco to try this place out, as it had great reviews. But it is no where close to any of the restaurants in San Francisco, like Slanted Doors or Straights.Special Features:
- Good food, great servicerun2eatDined on 8/30/2014It was my son's 20th birthday and when we arrived our table was ready right on time, an envelope was waiting at the table addressed Happy Birthday with a small box of cookies. Nice touch. The food was excellent. The four of us ordered 4 starters, salt & pepper calamari x2, spring rolls, shrimp and corn fritters. All but the rolls were outstanding. The sauce for the calamari was perfect. However the rolls were bland, tasteless and disappointing. Entrees were out of this world, wild boar, duck, black cod and steak. Each with perfectly paired sauces and the tomato rice was heavenly. Overall a great night and when we left the hostess wished my son Happy Birthday on the way out. Nice job!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.