546 University Ave.
Palo Alto, CA 94301Neighborhood:
VietnamesePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.tamarinerestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6503258500
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vietnamese, Asian
- Executive Chef: Tammy Huynh
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: To experience Tamarine in a private setting, the restaurant is pleased to offer three elegant private dining options that can seat from 10 to 155 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Charles Chen 6503258500x104
A word from Tamarine
Tamarine is a contemporary Vietnamese restaurant that features the light but flavor-intensive culinary delicacies of Vietnam. The restaurant offers a menu based on small plates, promoting the Vietnamese tradition of the 'shared' meal in which food is shared and enjoyed with those close. Tamarine's small plate entrees are enjoyed with the pairing of a variety of aromatic, flavor infused rice, designed to be mixed and matched to create a truly unique flavor experience. Along with culinary delicacies of Vietnam, the restaurant showcases the works of emerging artists from Vietnam and other Southeast Asian countries. Semi-annual exhibits will close with a cocktail event to auction the art. Proceeds will be donated to La Maison Chance, an orphanage in Saigon, Vietnam.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Tamarine - Best Restaurants in Palo Alto ›
Tamarine reviews from OpenTable diners
191 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (119)special occasion (92)neighborhood gem (60)great for lunch (51)romantic (45)hot spot (42)notable wine list (35)good for groups (35)vibrant bar scene (25)late-night find (8)great for brunch (6)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/23/2014A total failure on the wine. We brought a 1989 Napa cab and told the waiter we did not want to decant it. He broke the cork opening it (screw went in near the edge and was too short in any case) then said he didn't want to push the cork in so he would bring it to the bar where they had all the right tools. Close to 15 minutes later someone from the bar returned with the cork inside the bottle and the wine in a decanter, against our express wishes. Whatever fruit might have been left was surely dissipated, and we could not examine the rest of the cork to determine its condition. The waiter did not apologize, nor did he demonstrate any sense of the magnitude of this faux pas, until we explained it to him at the end. 3 of 5 dishes were good.
- TamarineOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/22/2014Love Tamarine! Food is always excellent -- especially love the empress rice, kale salad, and desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- coffeelarryVIPDined on 8/21/2014need real coffee. hard to end a great meal with the stuff they serveSpecial Features:
- Outstanding high-end VietnameseJTH1Dined on 8/20/2014SOOOO good. Been a few times and tried many different items. Never ceases to delight. A go to spot for sophisticated Vietnamese.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful flavorsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/19/2014Love the food at Tamarine. We especially enjoyed the tuna appetizer, kale salad, and the Shaking Beef. I was celebrating my birthday with friends and when we arrived they had the table all set up with a birthday card and a little present - what a nice touch. The service is always top notch. This is my third visit to the restaurant and it never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely placeVeggiequeen1Dined on 8/15/2014This was our very first time to this place. We were celebrating my husbands birthday. We are vegetarian and the waiter was super nice and suggested few items that we loved. My best friend also recommended a lot of items and we picked few. Overall very friendly environment and welcoming staff. Quick serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Vietnamese Foodfoodlover1Dined on 8/14/2014I wasn't impressed when I visited this restaurant in a group of 20 ordering from group menus before. But, this time I dined with 2 others and we were very impressed how all the dishes are meticulously cooked and prepared. I will come back again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/11/2014Great food, though a bit pricy. I always enjoy coming back.Special Features:
- Sweet MeatSarahLootisDined on 8/8/2014Tamarine has innovative ideas but their entrees are trending sweeter each time I visit. The dishes are screaming for some heat, so speak up and ask your server for hot sauce - he/she will bring you a lovely plate of three options all of which are great for fixing overly sweet and under spicy Asian fusion dishes. I also miss the green peppercorn branzino and the green curry reduction over pork. It's great when a menu changes over time but sad when great dishes are replaced with ones that aren't as complex and balanced (earthy, smoky, spicy, slightly sweet).I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brilliantjlb1Dined on 8/8/2014Outstanding food and service as ever. Jeff (Friday) and Sam (Saturday) provided superb service.Special Features:
- great food!foodie4life123Dined on 8/7/2014one of the select few high-end vietnamese restaurants that's actually worth the money. every dish we ordered was absolutely delicious. we tried the sticky rice, wild boar, and glass noodles with crab. for dessert, we devoured the banana beignets with coconut ice cream. we will definitely be coming back – mmm, so good!Special Features:
- Delicious food but no talkingJenLDDined on 8/5/2014This is the second time we've been to Tamarine. The food was delicious both times -- delicate flavors, artful presentation. I had a vegetation "sausage" which was made from leeks and tofu. It was interesting but I preferred the beef dish selected by my spouse. The only problem, and it is a big one, is that conversation was not really possible. To rate the noise level as "energetic" is an understatement. It was in fact unpleasant and stressful to dine, even on a Tuesday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SurprisedChipsterVIPDined on 8/5/2014Great location, great look, great service, great appetizers. All of the 4 main courses we tried were very average, compared to the many Vietnamese restaurants in the Valley.
- Good food & good serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/3/2014It had been a while since we were to Tamarine - so we decided to drive up. The food was very good as it always had been - the service seemed even more attentive that before. Had a few new dishes and a couple old standards - loved them all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/3/2014Dining at Tamarine is not only a perfect gustatory experience, but also one filled with over the top service and personal care! I took my friend there for a birthday celebration , and we felt that we were being wined and dined by friends who wanted us to have the perfect eating and celebrating experience. My friend was so impressed that she returned the next day for another celebration!Special Features:
- So delicious & the best serviceJFNYCDined on 8/2/2014Tamarine never ceases to amaze me. I noted that it was my mother's birthday in the reservation, and the restaurant went so out of their way to recognize her on her special day that I was astounded. I've never seen such wonderful personal touches The food is literally to die for. A trip to Palo Alto is never complete without dinner at Tamarine. I also love that when I do decide to be vegetarian for meals, the all veggie options are also astounding. My favorite restaurant and so deserving!Special Features:
- WonderfulKe1913Dined on 8/2/2014Great, varied menu. Something for everyone. Wonderful variety, beautiful presentation, helpful waitstaff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Write It Down!PTown82VIPDined on 8/2/2014As a waitress, if you think you're smart enough to take an order without writing it down, than you better be smart enough to get it right! As always, the food was awesome, but I missed my favorite dish. By the time I realized it wasn't coming, it was too late to go back and add it. Next time, write it down!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always fabulousAmeliaDined on 8/1/2014Love my dinner outings at Tamarine, always good service and good food.Special Features:
- Top NotchmikethewineguyDined on 7/27/2014Our first visit and we did not know anything about the restaurant besides the info on the website (it was accurate). We had trouble getting to the restaurant at the time we had originally reserved, but the staff was gracious and accommodating of our time difficulties. We were greeted warmly and seated as soon as we arrived. The staff was efficient without making us feel hurried. The waiter explained the items on the menu and made very helpful suggestions. The food was unique, and each item was beautifully prepared, presented and savored. We enjoyed it so much, we relaxed and were comfortable being late for the show at the Shoreline.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cubsfanDined on 7/26/2014Have eaten here a number of times, but the last visit was among the best. Consistently impressed by the character of the food every time I visit.Special Features:
- jamieVIPDined on 7/26/2014Service is excellent, as is the food. Most remarkable was the corn fritters with shrimp; crisp fritter with perfect snippets of shrimp. The shaking beef and the basil tofu were perfectly prepared and seasoned. Portion sizes were generous. Everyone there seemed to be enjoying the food and conversation. We will be back.Special Features:
- Great food, bad servicejancatDined on 7/24/2014We really enjoyed the food and drinks that was served to us, but it took forever. We had a gift card for this place, which was the only reason we went out to eat here. The tables are squished so close together, you can't even walk through the aisle to leave. The waiters were sucking in and squeezing through. We had to walk all the way around towards the back to even get out the door. Not to mention, we also felt we were involved with our table neighbor's conversations because our tables were only inches away. Our food took at least 30 minutes to arrive and we were pretty hungry, so the waiting felt even worse. We did notice that our neighboring table got their food less than 10 min after they ordered. Very inconsistent!Special Features:
- Getting a bit jadedJadedVIPDined on 7/24/2014Had lunch with a client. He chose trout and I chose the prawns, the traditional signature dish. Both were average. Based on these two dishes, the restaurant needs to freshen up a bit... Won't return too soon.
- Asian-fusion food is outstandinggoodeatsDined on 7/23/2014Tamarine has the best Asian-fusion food on the Peninsula. It is consistently high quality. I have had dinner many times and it never disappoints. Try the Hoison lamb chops with Bok Choy and sweet potato fries.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DebbieDined on 7/20/2014Really enjoyed our first visit here. Food was delicious and nicely presented. We didn't understand that the food was served family style and would have ordered differently had we known.Special Features:
- Great for a business dinnerradcliffeDined on 7/17/2014I had recommended this for a business dinner to the non-local hosts. They were from East Coast and were very impressed. When I arrived they were enjoying wine at the bar and had already struck up a friendly conversation with a local. We got our table immediately, an excellent location right in front in a booth by the window, where the ambiance was lovely but it was quiet enough for serious business conversation. The server was attentive and prompt, but did not interrupt conversations. The hosts enjoyed several food recommendations, including the house specialty beef and the bass. They said I could pick the restaurant anytime. I would return with business associates and be confident it would be a perfect backdrop for business discussion.Special Features:
- not good Thursday NiteOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/17/2014I was very disappointed as this is one of my favorite restaurants. Our waiter was no were to be found. We just left to ask other help and waiters for anything. The food was great as usual except for a new dish of wrapped duck that was tasteless and the wrap was doughy.
- Still terrificwineloverDined on 7/16/2014We discovered Tamarine years ago. It never fails to disappoint. Very good for small groups. Best to share dishes. The pumpkin curry dish was my favorite at our recent visit. And it is quiet enough to carry on serious conversations. Works well for job interviews.Special Features:
- best Asian food in University Averyo384Dined on 7/11/2014It was my second time to take dinner at Tamarine with friends, and I was very satisfied again with its authentic Southeast Asian foods, great wine list, and nice service. We, group of six, do not have any plan to order expensive wines, targeting 50-60 $, and for this price zone they recommend nice bottles of white and red. Meals are excellent. I love the plate with assorted appetizer. Tamarine is not the one where we can go very casually, but like for having a good dining with close friends, I really recommend this one.Special Features:
- Fine FusionBAMACDined on 7/7/2014Tamarine is a high qualiity Asian fusion restaurant that consistently hits high notes. They change the menu just enough to keep it interesting but keep all-time favorites available. It is one of the best restaurants in Palo Alto.Special Features:
- Good good. Service was judgmental.SarapopoDined on 7/5/2014The food was good and interesting. Standouts included the kale salad, clay pot cod, empress rice, and garlicky noodles. Peach crisp was soggy and underwhelming. Our server was too cerebral for the service industry. Otherwise, a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodie MeccaeatoutfunDined on 6/28/2014Tamarine is classy, very flavorful food. Family style dining. I had the Alaskan Black Cod and the. Brussels Sprout salad, both were delicious with delicate tastes. For dessert, it was the coconut, tapioca sorbet. Refreshing and not too sweet. Dessert portion was too big for one person, but other portions are on the smaller side. Service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bad waiters change everythinggroupoutingDined on 6/27/2014Waiter with Australian or UK accent very rude. Near end of his shift I guess but hostile. We asked to move to different server. Second waiter much better and nicer but the evening was spoiled. So go but be ready for rudeness from tall guy who really wants to be doing something else ...Special Features:
- OKDavidDined on 6/26/2014Over priced for what it is. Inside room sticky and stuffy.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Little noisy and slow servicedrip83Dined on 6/25/2014We went there with a group of colleagues. Was a little noisy, which made it difficult to understand others at the table. They also forgot my entree, so I was the only one in the group of five waiting for foodSpecial Features:
- Tickling tastebudsHaliaTeaDined on 6/25/2014Was in dire need of something to really tickle my tastebuds. The work fried beef noodles with crunchy vegetables, slippery rice noodles and tender beef slices in a salty sweet sauce certainly did it! Admittedly an expensive version of noodles I could have got for less $5 back home in Singapore but the fresh ingredients, higher level quantity and quality, and the whole atmosphere in Tamarine took the humble noodle dish to another level!Special Features:
- Weeknightnot2tonightDined on 6/23/2014We found the table to small when the food arrived. Since one shares the plates it was very uncomfortable passing and positioning the dishes. It made a dining evening uncomfortable and it just did not live up to expectations.
- Fabulous eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/22/2014It was my husband's birthday, and we were celebrating the occasion with friends. Tamarine made it very special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always A Treat!oftenouttastingVIPDined on 6/21/2014Dinner at Tamarine is always a treat! The food is delicious and the wait staff helpful and friendly. The wine by the glass always seems to compliment the delicious Vietnamese food served. I adore the Vietnamese coffee and order it every time we dine at the restaurant. Try the peach crisp!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.