41-43 E. 22nd St
New York, NY 10010Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
IndianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.tamarindrestaurantsnyc.com/
- Phone: 2126744447
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Everyday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm -11:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Executive Chef: Raji Jallepalli-Reiss
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our private dining room is available for dinner 7 nights a week. Please contact us for details. A room charge will apply.
- Private Party Contact: Christopher Corda 8886525828
- Special Events: For groups of 10-18 guests, we offer our private dining room. Call us for details.
A word from Tamarind
Owner Avtar Walia and Executive Chef Raji have come together to open an elegant and modern Indian restaurant with dishes not seen at other Indian restaurants. Children Facilities - No (High Chair or booster seat not available, Strollers must be checked in)Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Tamarind reviews from OpenTable diners
- My husband and I visited TamarindOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 12/25/2013My husband and I visited Tamarind Christmas Day evening. We were late arriving but they graciously seated us. The food was outstanding, the ambiance lovely, and the service excellent. We have dined here through the years and have never been disappointed.Special Features:
- AmazingAmazingDined on 12/22/2013This is one of my favorite restaurants! The food and service are always great! We had the cauliflower appetizer, which is drenched in a sweet and spicy sauce that should be paired with everything... it is so good! For my main, i ordered their award-winning halibut. That coconut-curry sauce... yum! Lastly, my mangoo coctail was also amazing! Overall this place was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodBryanDined on 12/20/2013The food at this place is amazing, especially the vegetarian entrees. My only complaint is that I felt rushed during my meal. I would've loved to have been able to sit and enjoy my meal more but unfortunately it was more of an in and out experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a good experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/13/2013I am sure that Tamarind has not built it's reputation by accident, but it was sadly lacking during my visit. We arrived on time to be told that our table was being prepared. 10 mins later we were asked if we would like a drink ,shown a list, but no one followed up to take our order. After 20 mins a waiter asked us to follow him to our table, he then veered off to his desk, removed pages off his screen, leaving us alone in the middle of the restaurant , which I thought a little rude. On arriving at our table it still was not ready and a water was summoned to clear it and lay fresh linen. We both ordered a starter but only 1 arrived, the food was decidedly average, my chicken too salty, my wife's lamb fatty Not an enjoyable time
- India takes a bite of the big appleTJ22Dined on 12/13/2013My Wife and I enjoyed a wonderful dinner at Tamarind. The food was excellent, but the service made the night special. Attention was given to every detail as the staff worked extremely hard to make sure your needs were attended to. We made the staff work hard with special requests to split entrees so we could try several and work in several courses. They adapted quickly and kept the timing of course presentation perfect. On a cold night in New York City, no better spot to get warmed up with some excellent Indian food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet catch up over elegant lunchCareerGirlDined on 12/13/2013Bright cozy delicious flavors- quiet enough to speak and catch up with a business friend. Perfectly elegant, always a winner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulMaurVIPDined on 12/11/2013We were a group of seven. From the minute we entered Tamarind to the time we left the entire experience was delightful. The staff went out of their way to explain the menu and to give us suggestions. We were a group of seasoned Indian food lovers to some never haven't eaten Indian food. All the food was absolutely delicious (especially the cauliflower appetizer) Everyone was truly impressed with the evening. Definitely on our list of restaurants to return to again and again.Special Features:
- Indian Food to a New Heighttimeflies1Dined on 12/8/2013Restaurant decor is lovely without being ostentatious. We were seated promptly. Any restaurant that has a open kitchen has a certain sense of bravado and it works. We shared a bhel puri to start which was a incredible combination of tastes and textures. My date had lobster masala and I had chicken with red sauce. Both were well prepared and presented. If you like your Nan sweet then I highly recommend the fruit stuffed version. Have to say it really doesn't get any better than thisSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Indian Cuisine.OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 12/8/2013Our lunch on Sunday was terrific and a very good price point. All the appetizers and entrees were terrific. The chef is very open to special requests. My current favorite Indian restaurant in the world!Special Features:
- Great indian foodOmarDined on 12/7/2013Loved the place! The food was excellent, service good and fast. Overall a brilliamt experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- one of the best indian restaurantsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/30/2013I have been to top indian retaurants around the world and Tamararind is one of them. Definitely I'll come back next time Im in NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not so great...LisaECDined on 11/29/2013The people at Tamarind were nice enough. They helped us with several changes to our party size. However, the food was not too thrilling. The portions were tiny! We ordered a goat dish that was almost all bones. The chicken dish with curry was tasty but really tiny! Tiny portions can be ok, but not at these prices. This restaurant veers away from traditional Indian, but it is not clear where they are trying to go with the food. This is not a place I would recommend.
- Posh and YummyMuseumFoodieDined on 11/29/2013The service was hospitable and gracious. The food was exceptional as well! Definitely recommend getting an early seating to choose seating as you come in. A recommended neighborhood gem in the Flatiron.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!MarathonLauraDined on 11/28/2013We went there for Thanksgiving and had a delicious, non-traditional meal. There were plenty of non-meat entrees for my vegetarian husband and I. They were all incredibly flavorful. There was a woman next to us whose taste buds didn't even agree with the mildly-spiced dish, and the kitchen made her something even milder (blander?!). Overall, two thumbs up! They also have delicious cocktails!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty, Upscale Indian cuisinepaulinanycVIPDined on 11/22/2013Hip Decor, upscale and fairly authentic, you will find many familiar Indian dishes here. Kitchen open to the dining so you can watch the chefs at work. The food was good, the decor was sleek, upscale and modern. When I asked for my vindaloo VERY hot, they complied. That is always my true test ! I would recommend this as a good, somewhat commercialized, 'adapted' Indian fare. A restaurant that even someone that doesn't necessarily eat Indian food will enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointednycpenmanDined on 11/20/2013I chose the restaurant based on its reputation as perhaps the best Indian dining experience in New York and was gravely disappointed. The service was slow and indifferent and the food largely tasteless. We both chose seafood and found nothing to recommend. The scallop starter was watery and the sauce nondescript; the crab starter was overpowered by a spicy tomato sauce that I would expect to find in a cheap Italian restaurant. The coconut sauce accompanying the shrimp entree was gelatinous and underwhelming. I do not like to be negative, and would have preferred to have been able to write a glowing review, but in my opinion the restaurant nowhere near lives up to its hype and is definitely not value for money. I will not return.
- super enjoyableLeeRoDined on 11/18/2013I dine here occasionally and always enjoy the meal. This time was no exception. I brought a group of clients and colleagues for dinner. We did the tasting menu which gave evryone the opportunity to sample different menu items. Everything was delicious and the portions were perfect. We had delicious wine from a varied selection. It even included some of my favorite dishes from past visits. Great service from the moment we walked in the door until we left. I will keep coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/17/2013Tamarind is our favorite restaurant in NYC. Food is as good as any we've eaten in India, beautifully spiced and fragrant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tamarind has been a consistentOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/16/2013Tamarind has been a consistent superb dining experience for over a decade. Simply put-these folks just know how to run a restaurant and have perfected their ability to create a wonderful experience. The lamb chops, lobster masala, tandoori shrimp and cauliflower appetizer are must haves! Highly recommend those that have not had the experience to book a rezzie!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The standard for Indian foodMarcVIPDined on 11/16/2013Tamarind should be the standard for Indian food. Not outstanding, but very good and very satisfying. Dishes are flavorful and adequately sized. I recommend coming with a large group to try out a lot of dishes. Smaller parties can have some trouble finding a reasonably priced meal that samples several different dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Birthday spotisa1023Dined on 11/13/2013I took my friend for her 30th Birthday celebration and it was perfect. The service was really remarkable! The food was delicious although a little pricey but for the ambiance and service it was worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!CondesaVIPDined on 11/13/2013Tamarind is a lovely Indian restaurant with delicious food! Every dish we ordered had unique flavors, we had 2 kinds of delicious nan bread, a halibut dish, mixed grill and okra, wonderful. The servers helped us share the dishes by serving each of us a bit of each dish, leaving the platters for us share more. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beats My Highest ExpectationOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/11/2013This was our second visit and we were even more impressed than the first time. We found food scrumptious! The service we felt was gracious and correct. The ambiance we found tasteful. All in all, we were totally satisfied.Special Features:
- Authentic Indian dishes, freshDurgaDined on 11/10/2013Authentic Indian dishes, fresh ingredients and superb service make this a special restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Northern Indian FareNataDined on 11/9/2013They offer excellent Northern Indian fare, in an understated but attractive environment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent spices!BensReviewsVIPDined on 11/8/2013We've been there before - we'll be back again. It was Friday night and they were packed. I was very happy that once we got in the door they sat us right away - and did a very good job at honoring the reservation. A lot of food. Don't over order - you can't finish everything. I suggest 2 appetizers and then split an entree along with naan. Did I mention it was delicious!Special Features:
- Very disappointed. SomewhatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/8/2013Very disappointed. Somewhat better quality than a random Brick Lane curry house, but less flavour and balance than some local take-away places I know in London. One of our starters made us hopeful for interesting and delicious Indian. Sadly the mains were disappointingly lack lustre - missing something to make them bright and exciting. Service wise it's trying (maybe too hard) for high end Indian - but it's no Cinnamon Club.
- Loved the food!moodforfoodDined on 11/7/2013A lot of Indian places in Manhattan translate to eating "Asian-fusion" or Indian muddled with Thai, Chinese and American food. This place serves pure, unadulterated Indian food spiced perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Indian in NYCalvinmc67VIPDined on 11/7/2013I have eaten here may times and have never been disappointed. My taste leans toward hot and spicy. Dishes such as the Lamb Vindaloo meet that criteria. On the other hand, my wifr prefers milder dishes, and those are also available. The service is attentive. The atmosphere is average to above average. The decor is pleasing, but as in many NYC restaurants the tables are close together. In my opinion, this is the best Indian restaurant in NYCSpecial Features:
- Overpricedapjjohnson1Dined on 11/6/2013The food was pretty good, just not worth the price tag. I've had better Indian food for much cheaper. The waiter was also way more focused on recommending the most expensive things on the menu and recommending way more food for us than we ended up eating just to jack up the bill. A major pet peeve of mine and why I gave them 2 stars for service.
- Great Indian FoodskiinyfoodVIPDined on 11/5/2013Went here with one of my best friends. We started with the chili crab which was very interesting. Spicy but did not taste like crab at. We shared the tandoori fish and it was excellent. The bread they gave us to start was also excellent. Everything was very light and not heavy like your typical indian food.Special Features:
- Excellent North Indian food-OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/5/2013Excellent North Indian food- went with guests from Delhi who thought it as good as in India.I would recommend this to a friend.
- nosiy, staff busy, delicious foodworldtouristDined on 11/3/2013Very noisy place, we could not enjoy a peaceful lovely dinner as a family and were bothered by an extensive noise level. Some of the staff were rude and inattentive. The food was pricy but deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My First Time!PMACDined on 11/2/2013This was my first experience with Indian cuisine! I was a little apprehensive and not sure what to expect. WOW is all I can say. The meal was delicious and I loved all the flavors in my entree. I will go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceKelluvtoeatDined on 11/1/2013This is a fantastic place to eat. Get the mixed grill.Special Features:
- If only the service were better!NYCAngelsVIPDined on 10/29/2013The food, OH the food was delicious. We started with a double order of some kind of cauliflower appetizer that I could have just kept ordering for my entire meal. We had a booth on the side, which was perfect for a group of five of us, but would have held up to probably eight people well. That was a great touch. They make it very hard to avoid dairy:( What we were able to get, though, was wonderful. One extra order of channa pindi, however, took so long to get to us that we had all been done eating for ten minutes already and were past wanting to even get dessert when it arrived. We were largely neglected by the servers and had to get up to literally grab someone numerous times throughout the evening, very disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FoodShawnVIPDined on 10/27/2013You can never go wrong here, they are consistent in quality, the service is oustanding and its great value. Clearly one of the best Indian restaurants in NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very mild indiantripgoatDined on 10/23/2013All the 11 dishes we tried were tasty but extremely mild in flavor.Special Features:
- disappointeddynerDined on 10/22/2013The prices mean this restaurant is a million miles from cheap Indian eateries of 6th street. Yet, the service was so confused they could barely get an order of papadum on the table. An entree of lamb was tough though the sauce was savory. Even the tandoori wasn't special. It's my third time here and third time thinking how do they survive offering very basic food at very special prices.
- Service was poorPDRGDined on 10/21/2013We went to Tamarind for a team lunch and the waiter was extremely rude. He was very snappy to answer questions - and just had no interest in answering any questions. He did not explain the specials much and rolled his eyes when someone asked him for clarification.