Tamarind - Tribeca
99 Hudson Street
New York, NY 10013Neighborhood:
TriBeCa - Downtown
IndianPrice: $31 to $50
Tamarind - Tribeca
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.tamarinde22.com/
- Phone: (212) 775-9000
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm -11:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,MasterCard,Pay with OpenTable,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Tamarind - Tribeca
The team from Tamarind, in the Flatiron District, have opened a new restaurant in Tribeca. Tamarind's team of dedicated chef's draw on India's varied regions to take diners on a culinary voyage of the subcontinent. The restaurant's menu includes dishes from Punjab, Hyderabad, Goa, Madras, Lucknow, and Calcutta. India's assertive spices and seasonings distinguish its cooking from all others.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerIndian
Tamarind - Tribeca - Best Restaurants in TriBeCa - Downtown ›
Tamarind - Tribeca reviews from OpenTable diners
280 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (166)special occasion (148)good for groups (118)romantic (92)neighborhood gem (87)great for lunch (49)hot spot (43)notable wine list (37)vibrant bar scene (27)great for brunch (14)late-night find (13)kid-friendly (6)great for outdoor dining (4)scenic view (1)Show More
- SpikeDined on 11/22/2014We wanted to enjoy Indian food during a recent trip to NYC. I researched to see what choices we had and found Tamarind which we hadn't tried before. The dining experience lived up to the excellent reviews. We enjoyed the lamb chops (tandoor style), a "special" prawn dish - large pawns in a light creamy tomato-based sauce as well as naan, appetizers and pistachio kulfi. It's a gorgeous restaurant too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- frequentfoodieDined on 11/21/2014We had a fantastic experience at Tamarind. The food and ambiance are wonderful. There were four of us, and we tried and shared a large selection of both appetizers and entrees. The lamb and the Chicken Tikki Masala were particular stand-outs, as were the Lobster Masala and the scallop dish. Dessert was also excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!AugustoDined on 11/19/2014This restaurant has been recomendes by a friend. I would sai that ir is definetely worth going to. Great ambience, host and Crew are very friendly. The food was really great also, seasoned and spicy at the right point. Good selection of wines and a nice dessert made it all perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tops for Indian in NYCSensei01913Dined on 11/19/2014If you like Indian Food - this is the place. Food was 5 star Indian - service was average because as the place filled up, there was not enough staff - go and eat Indian at its best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great upscale Indian restaurantsonhomeu01VIPDined on 11/15/2014This is a very classy restaurant with excellent service and great food. We tried the saag paneer, a piri piri shrimp appetizer, garlic and rosemary naan, a vegetarian medley, lamb filled with apricots, a skewered chicken special and had a bottle of prosecco. Everything was delicious. I particularly loved the garlic naan. It was a classy meal with good friends and we definitely enjoyed it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HypedSabthraxDined on 11/11/2014Not much better than your solid $12-18 Indian fare.
- Great Food/Slow ServiceRLfnyDined on 11/10/2014We were blown away at how good the food was; One dish tasted better than the next. Our only complaint was how slow the service was. It took a little while for our order to be taken and a long time for our food to arrive at the table. But once it did... WOW, was it great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pupfoodDined on 11/9/2014This is by far the best indian restaurant we have ever eaten at. Went for my husband's b-day and they even brought out a candle in his cake without making a big fuss about it. The ambience and service were excellent as well and it is in a beautiful modern setting. Nice to see some new desserts on the menu not typical of indian restaurants. The chicken tikka massala was great, the nan bread and chicken byriani was great. We will definitley be back and try something new. HIghly recommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as rememberedLeistaDined on 11/8/2014Stylish yet classic reminiscence of this place brought us back after 2 yrs. Inexperienced maitre"d tried to seat us where there was no table vacant yet smart n elegant hostess talked us through as she was giving us a tour of a restaurant. Due to his incompetence We ended up sitting next to a bar even though having a reservation. Floor manager seemed to be more concentrated towards flirting with the staff than taking care of the customers. Drinks and appetizer were above par. Entrees lacked interest and effort, as if chefs did not want to spend some time to make it look pleasant which concludes it has no difference between any other cheaper restaurant. Honestly only service maintained its standard due to efficient and proficient few staffs.
- Great service and foodPRDinersDined on 11/8/2014Tamarind Tribeca has great ambiance, food and service. The halibut was excellent!Special Features:
- Underwhelmingreviewer123456789Dined on 11/8/2014Everything was just ok. Food was generally good but nothing special. Service was friendly but not attentive at all. At the end of the day it was just very underwhelming. I don't think I'd bother going back. It certainly doesn't compare to the great Indian restaurants all over London.Special Features:
- Did not live up to expectations...54thfoodieVIPDined on 11/7/2014We wanted to entertain a friend, who loves Indian food, and treat him to one of the best reviewed restaurants in Manhattan. No where near expectations and this "cathedral of Indian food fell far short of "wows". Food was uninspiring, over cooked and no better than a corner Indian buffet. Save your money on this one, better choices on 6th Ave...No where near the other high end Indian Restaurants in the City.....
- A treat for my husbandMichelleMS4Dined on 11/7/2014Generally, I don't enjoy Indian food but my husband does so I searched out a good Indian food place online. Tamarind came up on Zagat with great reviews, and after checking out the pics and the menu I thought, why not?! We went during lunch time, 2pm reservations. There weren't many people when we got there so we were seated promptly. Tamarind offers great service, a nice atmosphere and tasty food. We enjoyed their executive lunch which was reasonably priced for a NYC restaurant and we each had a cocktail. To my surprise the food wasn't super spicy or hot and I really enjoyed my meal. I was nervous that if I enjoyed it, maybe it wasn't "Indian enough" for my husband's liking but he said he thought the meal was outstanding as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Luxurious Indian ExperienceTheEaterDined on 11/5/2014Mixing Indian food with a luxurious atmosphere is hard to do in an original and modern way, but these guys succeeded. The place is designed and lighted en par with the most chique restaurants in the neighborhood, while the food is served beautifully without losing it's tradiorional touch of taste and spices.Special Features:
- waiter didn't fitarloDined on 11/2/2014Food as always was delicious. It is a sophisticated Indian cuisine, and a beautiful space to enjoy it in. We had a waiter who was absolutely disinterested in the task at hand. He sort of ruined the experience for us. We will still return, as I'm sure he will be history in the near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SolidLizaDined on 11/1/2014Always a delicious dinner and impeccable service. A great go-to spot in the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Explosion of flavorLcp705Dined on 10/29/2014Tamarind offers an elegant and tasty Indian food destination restaurat. Each dish was exquisitely spiced and sauced. The nan was amazing and the raita a perfect complement to clear the palate between dishes. I took an Indian food neophyte there and he loved it!Special Features:
- AH-MAZING!LanaBean22Dined on 10/28/2014I went with my brother and sister for dinner to celebrate our birthdays. My sister is an amazingly picky eater and she ate and virtually licked her plate. To say she was pleased, is an understatement. The service was impecable. I will be returningSpecial Features:
- Good social place mediocre foodAminDined on 10/28/2014Very pretty restaurant and friendly attentive staff. Food is the weak link here because the dishes are marginally better than 6th street despite high prices. Sea bass had an ammonia aftertaste which ruined the whole experience. Go with a group, get basic dishes and appetizers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/28/2014Service is sublime. Could teach many other restaurants how to do it!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/26/2014The food is always amazing! Our family loves this restaurant.Special Features:
- birthday party513JBDined on 10/25/2014We went for my boyfriend's birthday dinner and it was perfect--one of our friends showed up with two extra guests and the staff were very accommodating. The food was incredible--highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the top Indian places in NYCLewisVIPDined on 10/25/2014Very diverse menu that does a great job of mixing the spices just right to not over power you, but also gives you enough punch to ignite your taste bud.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding food & servicerbbmDined on 10/25/2014We had lunch on Saturday, Oct. 25, 2014. There were 4 of us (including 2 from out-of town) so we opted for 2 executive lunches and several a la carte items. The food was outstanding including even the tea and the rice. Some of the highlights are lamb, chicken, halibut, and a mushroom dish. We will be back soon!Special Features:
- love tamarindnyerforlifeDined on 10/24/2014tamarind never fails to please. the food is wonderful, and the cocktails delightful.Special Features:
- Delicious DinnertrepsverterVIPDined on 10/23/2014We love Tamarind. Every aspect of the dining experience is perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good!tribecaDined on 10/19/2014We heard good things about Tamarind and hoped it would be as good as Tamarind in London (no relation to that restaurant, we learned). The restaurant is very nice and the menu has many good choices. Overall the food was good, altho a few of the dishes were not very hot and we found the lamb & chicken to be rather dry. We've been eating indian food for many years, and we found Tamarind's dishes to be pungently spiced (in a good way). I would recommend ordering a fresh veg or raita to cut the spice & heaviness.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/19/2014I went for a birthday dinner with a friend and his wife. GREAT food. Reasonable value for money. Good wine list. The only thing to improve was that our server was friendly and tried, but did not have sufficient knowledge of the wine list and the dishes.Special Features:
- Always a Great Dining ExperienceVickiVIPDined on 10/18/2014We love going to Tamarind for the good and ambience whether it's just a Regular dinner or celebrating a special occasion. The food is well made and very tasty and authentic. I had the duck appetizer recently and it was delicious as was the lobster masala and dal. My husband keeps it dry but tasty with the lamb boti. The drinks are great too! I request a vodka mint lemonade with no sugar and it's delicious. Can't wait for my next dinner there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingflafoodieDined on 10/18/2014My daughter and I go to New York a couple of times a year to enjoy eating out and going to shows. We both love Indian cuisine so I researched on-line to find the BEST Indian cuisine in Manhattan. Even though we had to take an expensive cab ride to get there, I was certain it would be worth every penny. The restaurant is beautiful and the wait staff were attentive. We ordered two vegetarian appetizers and shared the RAJI’S VEGETARIAN THALI. Everything was perfectly fine until I took a bite of something on the thali platter. It was like eating a teaspoon of pure salt. Horrible. Overall, was not impressed and will not go back.
- Get the lamb chopsDealguyVIPDined on 10/16/2014Lamb chops and the cauliflower special (I think it was Gobi Manchurian) were fantastic. Absolutely superlative. The rest (e.g., a chicken curry, samosas, Nizami Keema) was good but not distinguished. Service was very good.
- ALWAYS A TREAT !!kentVIPDined on 10/16/2014we always enjoy a perfect Indian meal at Tamarind, our neighborhood favorite !! Great prefix lunch menu too ;)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We will be backMikeandBarbDined on 10/14/2014We Google'd "best Indian food in NYC" and found our new favourite place. The server was as good as the food. We asked for his appetizer recommendation and he suggested the cauliflower - something we never would have ordered, but it was simply outstanding - so many flavours and spices. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy TamarindleniVIPDined on 10/12/2014What wonderful flavors! We enjoyed every bite and were so sorry when we were full. The menu is extensive and the servers/wait staff very knowledgeable concerning ingredients, flavors, degrees of heat and such. I had a shrimp dish and my husband had lamb - both exceptional. The appetizers were equally excellent. We had expected a restaurant with an Indian décor. It is not, but it is very tasteful and elegant with wood tones and soft lighting. The wine selection was excellent and the prices most reasonable. Give it a try - I think you will enjoy.Special Features:
- Great Place for a CelebrationBaseballmomDined on 10/12/2014Our daughter turned 10 this weekend and we let her choose any neighborhood place for her dinner celebration. She chose Tamarind since it is her favorite. As always, the food was terrific and the service was good. The atmosphere is both low-key and festive-- a great combination for any celebration. Our kids love the duck Spring roll, Chicken tikka masala, and "poofy bread," and we do, too. Would have been nice if the waiter recognized her birthday with a candle in her desert, but he was pretty clueless. Most of the waiters are more personable, although he did his job pretty well.Special Features:
- Very good!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014The restaurant is open, spacious and fresh--very appealing. Our three appetizers were specials for the day--cauliflower, prawns and lamb--and were excellent. The entrees were mixed. I enjoyed a special tandoor chicken. Another guest loved the lamb curry. The lamb kebab was dry and not great, however. Half the desserts were very good. I had a special pastry and ice cream that was not good. The pastry was very dry and the whole thing seemed like it had been made early in the day and stuck in the freezer. I will return and will recommend Tamarind to friends. But I will be careful to inquire more about what we are ordering.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IdaM25Dined on 10/11/2014Best indian food in NY. Really like the scallops and jumpo shrips for starters, and Tikka Masala chicken of main course. Garlic nan is so good here
- Great placegracedelagDined on 10/11/2014Food was the best indian food I have ever had in NYC. Great restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sandrabadr2VIPDined on 10/11/2014Love coming to Tamarind. I've never been a big Indian food eater but my girlfriend loves it. We've tried going to many other Indian restaurants, none came close to Tamarind. The food is outstanding, and made me a fan of Indian food. I haven't had anything on the menu that I didn't LOVE and DO save room for dessert. Not sure what it's actually called but I refer to it as the carrott dessert, they'll know what you mean!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Indian Restaurant in NYAbhiDined on 10/11/2014The appetizers were delicious, the goat curry was excellent and the biryani was heavenly. No doubt this is a Michelin rated restaurant. I would love to come here again.Special Features: