Tamarind Indian Cuisine
501 N. Orlando Ave.
Suite # 149
Winterpark, FL 32789Neighborhood:
IndianPrice: $30 and under
Tamarind Indian Cuisine
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.tamarindfl.com/
- Phone: 3212070760
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Executive Chef: Sunil Kumar
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Tamarind Indian Cuisine
Tamarind Indian Cuisine consists of a diverse mixture of flavours and tastes and reflects a variety of cultures, racial structures, geography and climate. Fine Indian cooking revolves around the appropriate blend and use of a wide variety of aromatic spices. We bring to you a part of India through its rich and selective variety of food. We try to serve you the true taste of North Indian food as well as the South Indian Food in a relaxing and inviting atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Tamarind Indian Cuisine reviews from OpenTable diners
3 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance2.7Noise LevelModerate
kid-friendly (1)fit for foodies (1)good for groups (1)great for lunch (1)neighborhood gem (1)Show More
- Poor service, inconsistent food2JWSVIPDined on 7/5/2014We ate dinner here with good expectations after reading other reviews. However, both of our servers were quite rude and gave very poor service. We also were told that several items we ordered were not available because their grill was not working properly. So we couldn't have Utthpam, Dosa, Parathi, etc. The Papadam served while we were waiting was soggy. The vegetable curries we ordered were alright in taste but had some chewy, strange textures in some bites. With many great Indian restaurants in Orlando, we definitely won't plan on coming back to this one!
- The following 39 reviews are from the Tamarind Indian Cuisine reviews archive.
- Great food and staffOrlandoteacherDined on 5/11/2014Food was tasty plentiful and the staff was very helpful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- if you like Indian spicesCBValdovinoVIPDined on 3/15/2014if you like Indian spices this is definitely the place to go, where you can get up to four levels, with 'very hot' at the top. We especially liked the lamb 'crumble' naan and the table condiments.Special Features:
- Lovely EveningFoodie4Dined on 3/7/2014Restaurant was cold due to a back door being propped open, but when asked for it to be closed t was promptly. Food and service were both great. Only issue was with our Kashmiri naan which was under-cooked and doughy in the center. Our reservations were for 6:30 and at that time we were seated right away. There were not many tables occupied at that time but it quickly filled up and it was then on a wait. It is a small restaurant so you may want to make reservations to ensure a table is available when you arrive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Smaller menu but wonderful foodKakiDined on 3/7/2014My family is on a mission to try all of the Indian restaurants in the Orlando area. It's too early to rate a "best" or top few, but I have a feeling Tamarind will be way up there after we've tried them all. We ordered several dishes and all were outstanding; the portions are very generous. The tandoor dishes came to the table sizzling hot and wonderfully aromatic. The naan was lovely; my son is inclined to rate the Indian restaurants solely on their naan and Tamarind got very high marks from him. Service was attentive and friendly. One note: The address is Orlando Ave. (17/92) but the restaurant is actually in a corner of the Kmart/Office Depot shopping plaza on the corner of Lee Road and 17/92. You enter off Lee Road.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality Indian FoodresinexVIPDined on 2/3/2014This is as authentic an Indian Restaurant that you can find in Central Florida.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special restaurant, special nightSmittyDined on 1/14/2014I found Tamarind on Open Table when my wife wanted Indian for her birthday dinner. Upon arriving, the team made us feel right at hime and welcomed us by name. We sat at a nice table and mentioned that this was our first time visiting. The food was excellent, the staff was kind and considerate enough to even share a special dessert with us for her birthday! Everything was perfect and everyone was so kind! I am looking forward to going back and you should make a reservation TODAY!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As always the food was fabulous!BillDined on 12/31/2013As always the food was fabulous! I dine here often and they never disappoint. The Lamb Roganjosh is awesome! Tried a new dish, Baby Eggplant, this time and it was great too. Don't forget to order some Nan!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- long queue bad service gr8 foodkwigibocityVIPDined on 12/30/2013The food is good enough to put up with all the rest that you'll almost surely endure, which will be aplenty. Know everything you want to order the moment you finally get asked. Kitchen is fast and all other parts glacially slow and chaotic. They've south Indian specialities that aren't easy to find even in NYC. Good food will keep this place profitable and alive for years to come.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Indian SummerEFrankMDined on 9/27/2013Had not been to an Indian restaurant in years, but was pleasantly surprised at Tamarind. The food was wonderful and they control the heat very well in their curry. The service was great and all the waiters very personable and knew their product. Prices were reasonable and we took food home...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Indian food!TimothyDined on 9/20/2013Portions of Naan could be bigger. Ordered tikka masala American hot, which waiter said is medium. It wasn't hot enough. Very well decorated and great ambiance and music. Went due to coupon and will go back everytime I find another coupon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Indian Food we've Found!MichaelDined on 7/5/2013This is our goto Indian food restaurant. We've tried several others in the general area and nothing compares to Tamarind Indian Cuisine in terms of taste and authenticity in my opinion. Service is always friendly and attentive. If you've never had Indian, I recommend the Tandoori Chicken and Vegetable Jalfrezi, for a party of two, and then split the dinner. Be sure to ask for MILD if you don't like your food too spicy. This meal is so flavorful and makes a wonderful lunch the next day if you have any left. :) If you're looking for a really great and inexpensive Indian restaurant - this is it!Special Features:
- TamarindFoodieForADayDined on 6/28/2013My family and I went for my birthday and although I LOVED the food there were a few issues surrounding service. First off our table of 4 was serviced by all three servers which made the experience a little fragmented. One of those servers had such a heavy accent we had trouble communicating our orders. When we got our food (which was delicious) the dishes got served to the wrong people and one was served very spicy to my mother who ordered mild. The problem was quickly corrected and she got a new plate of food. The food was great and i will be returning for that reason however hopefully the front of house gets a little more organized because service was chaotic.Special Features:
- Food was outstanding overall,JohnRDined on 6/22/2013Food was outstanding overall, though the Cheese Naan was forgettable. Otherwise, enjoyed the intense flavors (had Chicken Vindaloo - Medium heat), the presentation, and food quality very much - would definitely go again. Service was not the high point, but they were prompt with water refills (without having to ask) so that was positive. Restaurant was clean and well decorated - more so than you might expect from the plaza it's in.Special Features:
- Food was good, but I've definitelyhtpkDined on 5/16/2013Food was good, but I've definitely had better. It was the service that will keep me from going back. Waiter was irritated that we didn't order enough food, even though we still had leftovers, and would slam down my glass every time he refilled it and even after refilling, my glass was only half filled.
- Busy. Make a reservation???PeteVIPDined on 5/11/2013We made a 7:30 pm reservation but weren't seated until 8:00 pm. It appeared that they were seating diners as they showed up and not by reservation. When they were aware we had a reservation they brought us free mango juice and sat us outside, told us to look at the menu with the intent of taking our order before seating so when we sat down the food would be ready. They were so overwhelmed that they never came back to take our order before seating. When the server did take our order he was in a rush and he put in one of the main courses wrong even though we had repeated it twice knowing he wasn't paying attention. He reciprocated by putting in the correct main course and gave us the wrong one free. Bad initial experience. Great food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tamarind has become our numberMichaelDined on 4/5/2013Tamarind has become our number one, go-to restaurant within a 10 mile radius. If you love Indian food or have never had it, this is the place to go for a flavorful dinner.Special Features:
- Excellent!MichaelDined on 3/1/2013Dinner for three and the meal was perfect! Tandoori chicken was bigger than every last night, which made for a nice surprise and better meal. Service is friendly and helpful as always. Probably our favorite restaurant.
- The food was excellent! ByOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2013The food was excellent! By far some of the best Indian cuisine we've ever had and most definitley the best Indian restaurant we've found since relocating to the Orlando area. The restaurant is very pleasant but not very large, so I would recommend reservations if dining on a weekend evening. We will absolutley return to try more of the menu options.
- Great Restaurant worth VisitingMichaelDined on 1/25/2013Excellent service and food. Not sure what they're doing differently, but dinner for three was ready in about 10-15 minutes, when usually it takes 30-40 with Tandoori chicken. Nice surprise. We usually get the Vegetable Jalfrezi and Tandorri Chicken and the food is excellent. Highly recommend you visit this restaurant at least once to see for yourselfSpecial Features:
- Great dinner, but it tookMichaelDined on 1/5/2013Great dinner, but it took 50 minutes to get the Tandoori Chicken dinner to the table. That's unacceptable.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/4/2013Great Food. Server was very helpful. However, he was overworked with too many tables. This was only negative
- Indian food at its BestSwm4162VIPDined on 11/28/2012I only recently became acquainted with Indian food and I've now dined here a few times. I've found the food to be excellently prepared and if you've never eaten Indian food and love complex spice combinations, then you'll certainly enjoy Tamarind. I took my adult son on this occasion who had never eaten Indian food and he can't wait to go back. I had the Lam Xcati and we shared some Garlic Naan.My Brother and Nephew's favorite food is Indian and they agreed that Tamarind is among the very best.Special Features:
- We had the chicken xacutilpeteVIPDined on 8/18/2012We had the chicken xacuti and palak paneer. The palak paneer had a lot of fresh ginger which gave it a great bite and flavour. It was not as creamy/milky as others I've had, but I still liked it. The chicken xacuti was better and it will become one of our "go to" dishes at Tamarind.
- Give Indian a try.....DoodlesVIPDined on 7/27/2012If you are not knowledgeable about Indian food, don't let that stop you from enjoying this nice restaurant. Order a couple different Naans (breads)and almost anything else. Many dishes are stew-like comfort foods. The service staff will be glad to make suggestions based on your likes, not on what the kitchen is pushing. Enjoy!Special Features:
- One of the better Indian foodTank2kVIPDined on 7/23/2012One of the better Indian food meals I have had in years! We will go gain!Special Features:
- Delicious food!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/13/2012We love the wonderful food especially the dosa, kashmiri naan and chicken nizami. The service is friendly and warm. Also, it is great for take-out. Make a reservation and they will have your table ready!Special Features:
- Tamarind is a fabulous placeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/10/2012Tamarind is a fabulous place to enjoy delicious Indian cuisine! The menu has a wide variety of items: vegetarian, lamb, chicken, and fish dishes that will have you planning your next trip before you are done. From mild to spicy, there's something for everyone.Special Features:
- Nice Little Gem!MichaelDined on 6/8/2012Our first time there. Service was exceptional with literally all servers (3) coming to our table for water, bread, etc. Location is not that great, but once your in the restaurant, you'll forget about that. Restaurant is small for sure, but don't let any of this discourage you. Tamarind is a great little place you'll enjoy if you like Indian food. This was only my second time eating Indian and the first time was probably 10 years ago. Very glad we dined here tonight as our food was wonderful. Meal pricing was excellent (below typical restaurant costs). I can't wait to eat my left-overs tomorrow! Go there for a simple, but delightful dinner. We will definitely be back for more.Special Features:
- Delicious Indian in Winter ParkOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/1/2012My husband and I love Indian food and are so glad to have this restaurant in Winter Park. We enjoy the chicken vindaloo and vegetable curry. We've also had their chicken tikka masala and channa masala. The samosas and naan breads are also very good. Be careful, if you order it hot, it will be HOT! We've learned our lesson and will order our food medium spice next time. We got so used to other Indian restaurants not making the dishes spicy enough. Kudos to Tamarind for properly preparing and seasoning it the right way.Special Features:
- We asked to have our disheslpeteVIPDined on 5/26/2012We asked to have our dishes made extra spicy since most other Indian places in Orlando go light on the spiciness. But Tamarind's chef added lots of peppers! The spices didn't overwhelm the curries, but we definitely needed the mango lassis to cool our palates. We're looking forward to our next visit, although medium-spicy may be hot enough...
- Tamarind is a nice, casualOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/12/2012Tamarind is a nice, casual Indian restaurant. It's great to have an Indian restaurant located closer to downtown Orlando. All the other ones seem to be 8-10 miles out. The menu has a familiar range of Indian dishes. There are also a few unusual offerings that are worth sampling---try the Awadhi Murg, a chicken meatball stuffed with cheese and herbs.
- It was my first time hereBigomanVIPDined on 3/7/2012It was my first time here and I was not disappointed...so happy to have good Indian food in the neighborhood...welcome!!!Special Features:
- Authentic Varied Indian cuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 2/25/2012Three of us went for an early dinner Saturday night. It was easy to get a table. I grew up eating Indian food and was impressed by the broader variety of food. Other than the fact that my Biryani was spicier than I wanted, the food was great. My friends had Roganjosh (lamb curry) and Goan shrimp curry. Both were very good and the lamb in both my Biryani and the Roganjosh was very lean and tasty. I also was able to get both Raita (yogurt salad) and plain yogurt and was tempted (but did not indulge in) by the bread and the desserts. The wine list was a surprise with a bunch of quite nice lower price wines on offering. It is in a strip mall, but the inside decor is fine. The service was friendly and mostly prompt.Special Features:
- Small restaurant, but wellOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2012Small restaurant, but well decorated. Seating and service were prompt. Food was good and very flavorful. Would try to again!Special Features:
- Our group of 17 had a wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/4/2012Our group of 17 had a wonderful evening at Tamarind. The food was delicious and the service was welcoming and prompt. A great find.Special Features:
- A gem of a find. One of thoseOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/27/2012A gem of a find. One of those small hidden treasures in a strip center. Worth the drive from Daytona Beach!Special Features:
- Good food - still has someOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 1/21/2012Good food - still has some newly open kinks to work out - did not have 2 of the more popular beers - wine selection is limited - did not have several menu items due to kitchen issues.
- LOVE IT!!jonlDined on 1/20/2012My wife has been wanting me to try Indian food for a year now. The food was amazing. Great experience and we will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Great Indian foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/10/2012We are thrilled to welcome Tamarind to our neighborhood. Great food, great service, reasonable prices. The dosas are awesome and the service is sincere.Special Features: