Tamarind Bay - Indian Bistro
1665 Beacon St
Brookline, MA 02445Neighborhood:
IndianPrice: $30 and under
Tamarind Bay - Indian Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.tamarind-bay.com/
- Phone: 6172771752
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm Dinner: Friday and Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Executive Chef: Wali Ahmad
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, High Tea, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Full service catering offered to parties of 10 to 1000.
- Private Party Contact: Sumeet 6172771752
A word from Tamarind Bay - Indian Bistro
Tamarind Bay - Indian Bistro brings Indian coastal and seafood menu along with traditional Indian dishes to Boston area. The wine list has been generated specially to compliment the gamut of spices and flavors found in coastal Indian food. Some of our traditional but unique dishes include MASALA CRAB CAKES, MAHARASTRIAN SHIGRI POMFRET, KERALA CHICKEN STEW and DINGRI HARA PAYAZ CHETTINAD. Once again, our menu is simple with authentic dishes cooked to order, home style.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Tamarind Bay - Indian Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
- I've had so many absolutelyOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 4/20/2013I've had so many absolutely great meals there I wasn't sure I was in the right place! Room was dark- no light or candles. Service slow- wrong dish came. But--the food! The seafood was strikingly poor. Odd brown sauces on dishes that were fantastic just a month ago! I hope a strange anomaly-- not a new standard.Special Features:
- Thoroughly enjoyable mealRachelDined on 4/13/2013Our group thoroughly enjoyed our meal. The menu has a broad selection. Chicken dishes, especially, came out succulent and juicy. Vegetable curry was in a delicious sauce but the vegetables themselves were a bit on the basic side. Breads were very good too. All in all, a very enjoyable meal - we'd be happy to go back if we are in the neighborhood.Special Features:
- The hostess was very niceMimiVIPDined on 4/2/2013The hostess was very nice and worked with us when we were late.
- On Open Table, it says theyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/1/2013On Open Table, it says they are open on Fridays for lunch. We made a reservation and it was confirmed. When we got to the restaurant, the owner said that they have not served lunch on Fridays for 2 years.
- It was busy the night we dinedhungrymanDined on 2/14/2013It was busy the night we dined there (Valentines Day) and the waitstaff was a bit understaffed however the waiter was friendly and competent. He brought us water right away and also took a drink order. We waited a while for his return WITH the drinks and he took our food order then. It took a while for the food to come (there were three in our party) but not an unusually long time and also for such a busy night. We enjoyed all of the dishes we ordered and will return.Special Features:
- Really an outstanding contributionAndrewOfCanadaVIPDined on 2/14/2013Really an outstanding contribution to Boston's Indian food scene in that methods of preparation most often seen (northern, Punjabi e.g.) are not used here. We enjoyed the Hyderabadi influenced curries which use black pepper for the hot seasoning rather than the red chili which was a later import to Indian cuisine. The korma here is not swimming in yoghourt, cashews and butter as the usual frontier fare would have it, but is spiced with black pepper, cardamom, coriander and tomatoes. Portions are plentiful, service was prompt and efficient. The decor is bland but the food more than makes up for it.Special Features:
- Give the chicken tikka masalaChuckVIPDined on 1/9/2013Give the chicken tikka masala a B, but the ginger/lamb/yogurt dish was incredible. Good, quiet dinner for 2.
- Tamarind Bay: Coastal Indian KitcheOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 1/4/2013Food is always excellent here and not your usual Indian fare. Emphasis on wonderful fish dishes. Also try the beets with coconut. Yum!Special Features:
- Their Lalla Mussa Dal is theOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/2012Their Lalla Mussa Dal is the best dal I have tasted.Special Features:
- Not worth full pricektm123456789Dined on 12/28/2012We went a little early on a Friday night, but still, the place was EMPTY. We used a groupon, so it was definitely worth it for the deal, but not worth it if we had paid full menu price. The food was good, but honestly, the Trader Joe's frozen Chicken Tikka Masala dinner is a touch tastier than what we got at the restaurant.
- My friends and I got the chickenOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 12/17/2012My friends and I got the chicken tikka masala, bhindi, and cauliflower kofta. Typical Indian restaurant menu with good ambience. On the pricier end but the dishes could yield two meals for one person. Think those who like fish would enjoy this place because coastal items seem to be their specialty.Special Features:
- Nice spot, but unfortunatelyOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 12/16/2012Nice spot, but unfortunately had way too spicy a dish. Would have been helpful if the waiter warned us in advance. Good food, but unfortunately spoiled by the way we had it (unknowingly) prepared.
- We stopped by for an earlyOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/14/2012We stopped by for an early dinner with our two kids. Staff couldn't have been nicer. Food was great.
- An excellent Indian restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/12/2012The food was delicious, particularly the dal and an interesting corn and asparagus dish. Lots of vegetarian options. My only suggestion was to have a little more lighting so you could see your food better and know what you are enjoying!Special Features:
- Super deliciousMischVIPDined on 9/1/2012Not your typical Indian spices but that's what makes it so delicious. Great for a date and not too pricy!Special Features:
- Excellent cuisine. NicelyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/9/2012Excellent cuisine. Nicely spiced, just as I requested.Special Features:
- Give it a missKnishdoctorVIPDined on 8/7/2012Good naan but very uneven food. Asked waiter to leave cilantro out of an appetizer. He forgot & when told he took dish to kitchen & brought it back after pulling off the visible leaves. At first acted as if it was redone then took it off bill when we left it sitting. Some good dishes some really bad bordering on inedible. I usually like Indian food tho this is more esoteric cuisine than one usually finds.
- Had dinner here on a rainydisgruntled1Dined on 7/28/2012Had dinner here on a rainy evening . Nice and spicy Maharashtrian grilled pomfret lived upto expectations. The fish stew could have been spicier but was quite tasty as well. Good mixed drinks, wish they had a better beer selection. Overall see myself coming here again .Special Features:
- My favorite Indian RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/11/2012My favorite Indian Restaurant - the food is delicious - Southern Indian Cuisine - nicely presented - every dish I have tried is just so flavorful. I also like the contemporary interior. I love that they have a bar so I can have a cocktail before or with dinner. My favorite dish right now is the Kerala Fish Stew - Mahi Mahi with Coconut Milk and Onion Sauce - very creamy and oh so good.Special Features:
- What Happended?!BostonGurlVIPDined on 4/8/2012Tamarind Bay used to be out go-to restaurant for Indian cuisine -- we would recommend it to all of our friends and take all of out out-of-town guests there. BUT, then we were gone for the past 6 months, and when we returned we were so disappointed. The food was aweful! The tikki masala was barely more then bits of chicken in red-colored water -- tasteless! We used to eat until it hurt, this time we left the dishes barely touched. Don't know what went wrong, but it went very wrong, and we will not be returning.
- Tasty food except one incident....OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/16/2012Food taste was excellent. Shrimp Malai Kabab and Boti Kabab were phenomenal. We got bunch of hairs in our Matki Dum Murgh and returned entire dish. That was errie and embrassing moment and until then we were enjoying every single minute. I wish they should have taken care of this basic thing. Hotel management was quite about incident and very quickly replaced dish silently. There were no applogy and I asked for Vali owner but he never came in person. Since I have visited this restaurant number of times and this is first time such incident has taken place I take this as accident and hance not rating it down. There service was not prompt and waiter was very busy running from table to table...Special Features:
- Always a good meal. SolidlyLocaltoBostonVIPDined on 1/6/2012Always a good meal. Solidly good. Parking is challenging though---Special Features:
- My Indian boss went thereOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/20/2011My Indian boss went there a few nights ago and raved about how authentic the dishes were, he especially loved the southern dishes which he says are hard to find in most indian restaurants in the States. He gave this restaurant two thumbs up.Special Features:
- Small portions, wait staffOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/11/2011Small portions, wait staff not terribly familiar with menu. Cheese-stuffed new potato kabob (appetizer) was standout dish; remainder pretty typical Amer-Indian restaurant. Not super-authentic South or Coastal Indian cuisine.
- Went on a busy Saturday nightOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 10/1/2011Went on a busy Saturday night and the service was very slow. Decent, but not great, food didn't make up for the 45 minutes we spent waiting for it
- Very good. on the spicy side.JacynthpDined on 9/3/2011Very good. on the spicy side. Chicken appetizers excellent.Biriani not up to snuff.Special Features:
- The food was delicious. ItJodyVIPDined on 8/20/2011The food was delicious. It is has a lot of different interesting spices and although similar to a typical Indian restaurant there were some interesting differences. It is also quite hot, so be sure to say you want it milder if that is your preference. The ambiance is nice with outdoor seating and a completely open front. The waitstaff though seems somewhat clueless and really all looked like they would rather be somewhere else. (This last comment is only for the Brookline restaurant - I have been to the Cambridge one too and there the waitstaff is very attentive and knowledgeable).Special Features:
- This place was closer to theOmnivoreDined on 8/14/2011This place was closer to the same caliber of the one in Harvard square when it was newer. While it was certainly good, and I would go back, it dropped a little from that early time. Appetizers were good but selection was less and less interesting than previously.
- Fantastic Indian food. WeMarinaDined on 6/30/2011Fantastic Indian food. We came because of a friend's recommendation and were not disappointed.Special Features:
- Disappointed, food identity crisisOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/11/2011I was hoping for a true experience of coastal indian cuisine with coconut curries, yummy fish, etc. and was sorely disappointed. Only one coconut curry on the menu, way too thickly cooked; and the mix of north indian was still not good. Not sure what this restaurant was trying to be but please stick to one thing the chef is good at and be that. The service was fair in the sense that the waitress either didn't know indian food or their own menu because questions got a total lack of response (the waitress read my menu to me over my shoulder as if I hadn't already!), and didn't communicate well at all. The manager guy was nice, but sadly wasn't waiting on our table.
- Awesome place. This was myOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/10/2011Awesome place. This was my second time back, and I keep wanting to try more and more things. I recommend ordering like my two friends and I did: each get one thing and split 3 ways. Everything is simply amazing. Great ambiance and charm, and the open windows overlooking the sunset-lit streets of Brookline added even more to the atmosphere. Definitely coming back soon.Special Features:
- The food was the best IndianTriciananaDined on 6/10/2011The food was the best Indian food. Spicy is just the way I like it.Special Features:
- The service this time wasDinerVIPDined on 5/29/2011The service this time was really slow even though there weren't that many people there. And my gin and tonic pretty much was just Tonic. We have eaten here many times but it seems that the food isn't as good as it used to be when they first opened.
- Great experience! The diningOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/8/2011Great experience! The dining room is beautifully laid out and cozy but not cramped. The service was impeccable, from beginning to end. Food was terrific. The only reason I gave the food 4 stars instead of 5 was because the Goan shrimp was not as spicy as we had expected it to would be (was a little too much on the sweet side). Perhaps I should have asked for it to be more spicy, though, so I can't fault them entirely. Overall, wonderful place and I will definitely go back and recommend it to friends.Special Features:
- So, the food was outstanding,OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/7/2011So, the food was outstanding, and the restaurant was very friendly for those of us who have food allergies (both members of my party, and with separate intolerances), but the place was incredibly noisy. It's a great, kid-friendly restaurant in a small space, and toddlers who need to go to sleep are not the quietest humans on the planet. When I go back, I'll be sure to make a reservation for a week night, or later on the weekend. The 8:00 PM seating looked like it would be far more pleasing for those trying to have serious conversation as we were. But once again, the food was awesome.Special Features:
- Good...just need to get to great!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/4/2011Overall good dining experience. I've had better, and I think the Cambridge location was slightly better, but I would definitely come back. As always the appetizers were great, but the meal was not a creative, atleast on the veggie side. Not a seafood eater, but some of my fellow dinners were, and they loved it.Special Features:
- We were very very pleasedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/30/2011We were very very pleased with the food, which was delicious. The wait staff was professional and friendly. The food was served promptly. All was great and we will surely revisit.
- The food was good but thejaykayVIPDined on 4/16/2011The food was good but the service, while attentive, was a bit rushed.
- i should start by saying IProteomicsDined on 3/26/2011i should start by saying I have never been a huge fan of Indian food, but previous reviews had my hopes up that this restaurant would change that. It didn't. Lots of gloppy sauce, little protein, not much varriety in flavors, textures or spice intensity. Boring. Our dining companion who loves Indian food says that much better exists and can be found in NYC and DC and in the private homes of Indian residents of our fair city (perhaps they should open a restaurant!). I remain unconvinced.
- This restaurant is a greatdeborahDined on 3/19/2011This restaurant is a great addition to Brookline, the food is great and the service terrific.