2980 Los Feliz Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90039Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lawrysonline.com/
- Phone: 3236640228
- Hours of Operation:
Ale and Sandwich Bar: 11:00am-Daily Dinner: Monday-Thursday: 5:00pm-9:00pm, Friday: 5:00pm-10:00pm, Saturday: 4:00pm-10:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm-9:00pm; Brunch – Sundays: 10:30am-2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Continental, American
- Executive Chef: Teri McLeod
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live music in our pub & lounge every Friday & Saturday evenings – no cover charge! Special late night Happy Hour Friday & Saturday evenings from 10:00pm-12:00am.
- Special Events: Join us for weekly enterainment in our Ale & Sandwich bar, as well as monthly wine tastings and more! Visit our website to see all of our special events: http://www.lawrysonline.com/tam-oshanter/events
A word from Tam O'Shanter
The Tam O'Shanter is a dining legend in the heart of Los Angeles, here you will find the charm of a Highland inn. The qualities that built our reputation- superb food, outstanding service and a dedication to honoring our guests with the highest quality in value-are as strong today as when we first opened our doors in 1922.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Tam O'Shanter - Best Restaurants in Los Feliz ›
Tam O'Shanter reviews from OpenTable diners
195 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (133)neighborhood gem (107)good for groups (75)romantic (64)fit for foodies (50)great for brunch (35)great for lunch (32)kid-friendly (30)notable wine list (29)vibrant bar scene (20)hot spot (7)late-night find (7)scenic view (2)Show More
- Large Party NoiseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014They sat us right outside the party room we couldnt talk without yelling to each other.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Menu Items/Consistently greatSCROOGEMCDUCK19Dined on 8/30/2014The food continues to be outstanding here. We joined the Lawry's VIP club specifically for the strength of the food from this location. Well worth it as it pays for itself instantly with the coupons they send more than covering the cost of membership. I tend to eat mostly vegetables and the polenta cakes (new item) were as flavorful as a dish can be. Rarebit was consistent and the atmosphere is historic. Do yourself a favor, treat yourself to a night at Tam O' Shanter's. Walt Disney used to eat here, that should say it all.Special Features:
- Our "beef" about the beef...OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/28/2014Truly authentic "old school" dining that is a dying breed amongst our culinary options in So Cal. Just because the place is old, the crowd is mixed, featuring the spectrum of prime rib devotees. The whisky lover's bar is fully stocked with "treasure." I've dined there many times, everything I've is excellent, Rarebit yorkshire popovers, OMG creamed corn, beef fat fries, the signature creamed horseradish. So what about the Prime Rib? Be vigilant if you like it rare or medium rare. Test it when it's served - the staff will graciously get you another piece cause 25% of the time (in my experience) if it's more at medium or medium plus. Once it's right it's a true delight. Head to the Tam for a trip back to the 30s,40s,50s,60s,70s, etc etcSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great fun placemewmewDined on 8/24/2014Great service, very fun decor. Reminded me of some movie tavern scenes and couldn't shake off the feeling of having puss in boots jump out at me, or even mike myers. Had haggis for the first time here too. Food was good (Ice cream sundae was a great way to end the night). Almost drove by it if if I hadn't searched what the restaurant front looked like.Special Features:
- Excellent Special DealthevidiotDined on 8/24/2014We had the August Dinner for Two Special and every course was outstanding. The Prime Rib was the best that I've had in a long time and each course was well received. Once again the Tam O'Shanter exceeded my expectations. Bravo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AJKlikesDined on 8/24/2014Have dined at the Tam since I was a kid and have always had a top experience. On this occasion we were early, the first ones in and the waiter was kind enough to point out various tables where some of the rich and famous had dined. My out of town guests were very impressed, and even I had not known much of this info. Drinks were very good as was the food and we were well attended to. So glad all the old favorites are still available.Special Features:
- Food - 10 Service - 6CraigDined on 8/23/2014As always the food was excellent. We had a party of 9 for birthdays and for the first time, the service was not so great. Had to ask for bread, ask for horseradish, ask for water refills. 7 of 9 had prime rib (always the best!). The horseradish was doled out in such tiny portions that was gone quickly. Our waiter was OK, but the support staff left a little to be desired. I will still go back as this was an aberration from my past experiences. I chalk this up to an off night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gem!FredDined on 8/23/2014Excellent service and food as always! Would always recommend the Tam!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful as always!Jessica1955Dined on 8/17/2014To put it briefly...the Tam does not disappoint! This was our second visit and we will be back, even though we live out of state! Friendly and helpful staff, fun and quirky atmosphere, and the food is DELICIOUS! We first dined here to check out table 31 but returned for the food. "Must haves" include prime rib, creamed corn, mashed potatoes, and Yorkshire pudding. Feeling adventurous? Go for the macaroni and cheese, grilled corn, and chocolate soufflé! We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mselefresserDined on 8/16/2014TamOShanter has been around longer than we have! We've always enjoyed the kitschy but nostalgic ambience, and we recently sat at Walt Disney's favorite table with a plaque! Seems he and his Imagineering team planned Disneyland at this very spot! We enjoy the consistently delicious prime rib, it's just as good as Lawry's in BH. And, the menu has more variety than Lawry's, and you CAN get a table on a Saturday nite! They also have casual lunch service, with sandwiches etc.Special Features:
- Great Treat4theatergoersDined on 8/16/2014Going to Greek Theater and remembered this great Lawry's restaurant. It was a treat that I have always enjoyed. Brought friends who also fell in love. The service was impeccable, the management was present and eager to ensure that the dining experience was outstanding for all of the diners. Close to the Greek, and the meal was perfectly timed for travel to the theater. Celebrated a birthday and it could not have been a better experience for all. Must go again soon... Reservations were useful as it was a full venue. Recommend the heirloom tomato , peach, basil salad...a must have. Treat yourself to a fun dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to eatgood1diningDined on 8/15/2014Ambience and food great; service friendly; manager came to check on us; have been going here since the 1950s.Special Features:
- Fun night at the Tam O'ShanterSheBeeDined on 8/11/2014The husband and I had a great time at the Tam. The staff was very helpful, attentive, and on point that night, especially our waitress Angela. The food was great, the husband loved his Prime Rib and my steak was pretty good. I think next time I'll end get the prime rib though, because his was amazing. A special thanks to the host that night for helping us sit at the 'Walt Disney' table. We are both big Disney fans, and we had a great time in that special booth.Special Features:
- Dining With WaltMrDiz55Dined on 8/10/2014My girlfriend and I are very much into Disney and it's rich history, so when we discovered that this place was a frequent host to Walt himself, we figured we'd give it a try! We were sat a 1/2 hour before our reservation time, and as per request we were able to sit at the very spot Walt are at so many times before! The service was punctual and very friendly. The food was AMAZING! We were immediately reminded of a home cooked meal. It was delicious. To top it off, we were given a complimentary cake for our one year anniversary (which was that night, and one of my many gifts to my girlfriend). The setting was beautiful, the history was tangible, and we were blessed with dining in the "presence" of Walt. A true gem, and highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good eveningSDLADined on 8/10/2014Took my sister here for her birthday. There was some confusion among the wait staff as to our table, so we waited quite a while until we had to ask the bus person to ask the waiter to come to our table. After that, everything was fine.Special Features:
- Sad experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/10/2014After the fond memories we all had about Tam O'shanter's it was heartbreaking to have such an awful experience. For the beginning to the end, every part of this event was disappointing. The service, food, and attention to detail were all below par. Our waiter was not very well informed about the items on the menu, the food was cooked WRONG and the wait was unbearable. Even our cocktails from the bar were not correctly made. I'm not sure what happened in the kitchen but the meat was fatty and undercooked, the fish was "fishy" sand the vegetables were sorely over cooked! Our waiter described an amazing chocolate souffle that needed 45 minutes to prepare, and then totally forgot to order one for our table. We will not be returning!
- Bonberocubano1124Dined on 8/9/2014The Tam was awesome, we were seated promptly as we arrived. The staff was very friendly and knowledgeable. the food was delicious as usual. Great ambiance and comfortable surroundings. Good prices for the quality of food you get. We will recommend and will return again. Thank you Jonathan for such great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/9/2014Prime rib was excellent. Mashed potatoes and veggies were very good. Service very good.Special Features:
- excellent service!SpudVIPDined on 8/9/2014Our belief to say "great restaurant" is based on tasty food, wonderful service (atmosphere), and reasonable price. Particularly, this restaurant is good for special occasions but even good with kids.Special Features:
- AwesomeBMB2008Dined on 8/8/2014We made reservations to celebrate our anniversary. We were on time and were seated immediately. The waitor was awesome. The food was mostly good. My daughter had the Mac-n-Cheese and it was wonderful. My husband had the filet mignon and it was very good. I had the prime rib and ordered it bewteen medium and medium well but it came well. I did not complain because I gues I should have been more clear. The food was good but dessert was incredible. I had the chocolate souffle and my husband had the peach cobbler and both were awesome. If you love chocolate, you will not be disappointed with the souffle. It is the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinneraminlaVIPDined on 8/4/2014Four of us went to the Tam to celebrate my birthday. The Tam is one of our favorite restaurants and it continues to please. The food and service were excellent; it was a great way to enjoy my bday.Special Features:
- TAM O SHANTEROpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014The Tam O Shanter provides a delicious prime rib dinner. The ambiance is like a Scottish cottage and you feel like you have been transported to the UK. I just wished the salad was included as part of the dinner ala the spinning salad bowl at its bigger brother Lawry's. The chocolate souffle desert was just okay.Special Features:
- Good but not greatFoodieDined on 8/2/2014Fun place to visit and eat. A more casual version of Lawrys. Usually a great experience but this time the food wasn't served very hot and the service was average. Must've been an off night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always perfectFredZDined on 8/1/2014The Tam O'Shanter never disappoints. The service is outstanding, the food delicious and well prepared, and the atmosphere is unlike anything else in L.A. If you haven't had their soufflé dessert, you are missing out.Special Features:
- HUGE Disappointmentjon5ctsVIPDined on 7/30/2014Terrible service the other night and I thought it was maybe a bad night but then speaking with a friend who has been twice in the past month, and he had similar problems with service. They tried to tell me that their ticket system had gone down, but my friend's complaints were the same as mine. Super slow to get any food. NEVER took a drink order so we decided to save the $$, never prought utensils or plates for apps (had to get up and ask for them!). Food was good, but the damage was done. I'll give another try, but if things don't change, it's time to move on.
- Best Tam EverlenoreVIPDined on 7/29/2014Great reception, cuisine, bar and service by Melinda. Many th :)anksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yorkshire pudding not tastypridiDined on 7/27/2014The yorkshire pudding was dry and unappealing. It was better than some years ago when they were making a round dried out ball but still not moist and flavorful. Overall the plate appeared skimpy. Also, after making reservations which were called by the restaurant on the day before to confirm, we had to wait for our table to be ready. At 6:30, I don't feel they would be so busy to not have the table ready.Special Features:
- I will be back again and again.LovetoeatDined on 7/27/2014The food and the ambiance was great. Even my kids enjoyed themselves. The service was excellent. Attention was paid to every little detail, even when the kids' drinks were empty they were refilled before we had to ask. The choclate souffle that we had to order at the beginning of our meal was worth the wait. It was amazing.Special Features:
- Great Valuefood4everVIPDined on 7/26/2014Great value for food and service. Always consistent with quality.Special Features:
- Old world charm, delicious foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/26/2014So savory and wonderful, desserts were fantastic, too. Love the atmosphere and charming service. Very special historic place with great quality, hearty food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- neighborhood gemmyfaveDined on 7/21/2014Tam O'Shanter has been around for years. The food is always good and the atmosphere is very cozy.Special Features:
- ruliDined on 7/20/2014made a reservation for a party of 8 for birthday celebration. Wanted a 7 or 7:30 reservation but the only slots available with Open Table were 6:30 and 9:30. From the time of arrival at 6:15 for the 6:30 reservation, and throughout the dinner until 8 pm, the whole restaurant was essentially empty. Was told by in-law that we should have called the restaurant directly for reservation instead of using Open Table for the desired reservation time slot.....Special Features:
- First Timers and we'll be backMonaVIPDined on 7/19/2014We're rarely in this part of town and thought we'd take advantage when we were relatively close by. The prime rib was outstanding - the quality of the meat was excellent, it was done exactly as ordered, medium rare, and the portions were generous, as described in the menu. The creamed spinach was excellent, as were the mashed potatoes. The Yorkshire pudding was adequate - not amazing. We were stuffed to the gills, but having smelled the chocolate soufflé ordered by the young couple next to us, decided to have one as dessert. Scrumptious! We loved the quiet, and when a particularly awful song was playing on their continuous loop, we asked our charming server if they could change it and they did. Please upgrade your music!Special Features:
- Always a good timeFritzDined on 7/19/2014We have been going to the Tam for years. It is one of my favorite date-night places. The service is always great, and though they have some old stand-bys on the menu, they do change it up a bit if you want new stuff. My husband has food allergies to deal with, and they are always accommodating and helpful. We've brought kids here, too, and they have now made a kid menu, which is nice. All-in-all, a great place!Special Features:
- eats alotfoodieDined on 7/19/2014We did not find Tam O Shanter very rewarding. The food was mediocre and extremely expensive. The meat was very fatty and not cooked well. Best part was the souflee at the end of the meal. Sat for a long time before our server came to the table for drink order. Extremely expensive. Will not go back.
- Good folksEddieDined on 7/18/2014Love this place. We joined the VIP program. It was well worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New StyleSteveVIPDined on 7/17/2014This is kinda like DineLA, but was not advertised as such. It still was good, but I feel the restaurant is losing its charm. It reminds me of what happened at Beckam Grill in Pasadena. There is more visual changes, but the food seems to be a little less quality than before.Special Features:
- Great!LibraryLadiesDined on 7/16/2014Great food with generous portions. Wait staff (Diane) was very friendly & made the visit fun. And, oddly, good haggis.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- one of my favorie placesfoodstopsDined on 7/11/2014I have been going to the Tam for almost 40 years and I have never had a bad time. Became a VIP member 15 years ago and only wish I could go 4 or 5 time a week but live a little to farSpecial Features:
- Simple and ElegantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/11/2014It was my sisters 33 Wedding Anniversary and we (her husband and our Mother) met at Tam-O a little early. 5:00 vs. 5:30 reservation. The reservation was no problem. Our Server was Jay and he was very a-tuned to us and made us feel at home. He offered suggestions and was a pleasure to have as our server. The food was delicious and there were no complaints other than we could not finish it all. We packed up what we could and paid a reasonable bill. We'll be back when we get the chance.Special Features: