2980 Los Feliz Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90039Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lawrysonline.com/
- Phone: (323) 664-0228
- Hours of Operation:
Ale and Sandwich Bar: 11:00am-Daily Dinner: Monday-Thursday: 5:00pm-9:00pm, Friday: 5:00pm-10:00pm, Saturday: 4:00pm-10:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm-9:00pm; Brunch – Sundays: 10:30am-2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Continental, American
- Executive Chef: Teri McLeod
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live music in our pub & lounge every Friday & Saturday evenings – no cover charge! Special late night Happy Hour Friday & Saturday evenings from 10:00pm-12:00am.
- Special Events: Join us for weekly enterainment in our Ale & Sandwich bar, as well as monthly wine tastings and more! Visit our website to see all of our special events: http://www.lawrysonline.com/tam-oshanter/events
A word from Tam O'Shanter
The Tam O'Shanter is a dining legend in the heart of Los Angeles, here you will find the charm of a Highland inn. The qualities that built our reputation- superb food, outstanding service and a dedication to honoring our guests with the highest quality in value-are as strong today as when we first opened our doors in 1922.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Tam O'Shanter - Best Restaurants in Los Feliz ›
Tam O'Shanter reviews from OpenTable diners
220 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (150)neighborhood gem (133)good for groups (104)romantic (62)fit for foodies (60)great for lunch (36)vibrant bar scene (36)notable wine list (36)kid-friendly (34)great for brunch (26)hot spot (14)late-night find (11)Show More
- Celebrated a Friend's Special birthday5FlamingosDined on 11/21/2014Requested a quiet table by the fireplace and was delighted to have the request honored. We 3 ladies each enjoyed different dinners, turkey , goose & brisket, meatball appetizer, welsh rabbit cheese - nicely served with Yorkshire pudding now.. chocolate soufflé was delicious as always...Food was excellent, our servers very attentive, manager even came by to introduce himself. We noted some changes on the menu - sounds good. We have all been going to the Tam many, many years, a special place to us, we prefer it over the big Lawry's -Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, good serviceGeolchrisDined on 11/16/2014The Tam o' shanter rarely disappoints, and this visit was no different. I do enjoy their cocktail list, they have a lot of interesting creations, and the wine list and craft beer list is also more lengthy than I expected. There are always seasonal specials and specials of the day, and it looks as if the Chef is trying to branch out into more exciting food options. It used to be your only choice was four cuts of prime rib and whatever single special they had...now it is many kinds of meat, a prime rib salad (which was two thin but large slices of prime rib alongside a spinach mixed green salad with a delicious horseradish dressing that I worried would be too strong but was just perfect), some semi-mexican offerings (Chile Verde!), and duck confit options on the specials of the day. They are really trying to elevate their offerings and, I think, succeeding. The ambiance is one I enjoy. The old Scottish country farmhouse feel. It certainly is far, far from modern and could be considered quite stodgy, as it hasn't changed since my great grandparents took me here when I was a kid, but it is history, and I love it. It's authentic character that other restaurants try and create, but it's something that has to be earned by being a restaurant that has grown, changed, and expanded over the past 90 years. Bottom line, at first glance it might look like the old, unchanging steakhouse - but it is far, far from that.Special Features:
- Satisfied my CuriosityFoodie2014Dined on 11/15/2014We have been wanting to try this place for years now, and We finally made the drive to LA to try it. The main reason is we are Disney fans, and as most fans know, this place was one of Walt Disneys' favorites. (apparently still a favorite of celebrities, we saw two!) Ambiance was great and the Scottish decor was fun. Staff friendly, but not too attentive, had to ask for refills on water multiple times. Drinks (Pimms Cup, Navy Grog, and a draft beer) in the bar were refreshing and quick to be made. Prime Rib was delicious as was the creamed corn, mashed potatoes and Yorkshire pudding! Sirloin steak was perfectly cooked and the right portion to leave room for dessert.Temperature was off on Scottish Rarebit. Its a cheese dip and was too cold, it should be bubbly hot. Sticky Toffee Pudding was outstanding, first I've had it so not sure if its authentic or just this restaurants take on it. Price was appropriate for the quality of food served. Overall very satisfied and will make the trek back at some point in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!RgasvVIPDined on 11/14/2014Quality food in a great atmosphere. You will enjoy it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Ol’ StandardfishwineDined on 11/14/2014Tam O’Shanter...been around for years and reliable. Service was slow...seemed like staff didn’t have their own station so they could keep consistent service to any one table...pleasant, though. Food is very good, not great, but always reliable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We always enjoy going to the Tam.SandBillDined on 11/13/2014Our waitress Sharon was so fun and we had a fabulous time celebrating two anniversaries and three birthdays. Food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/9/2014Date with new boyfriend who is from Wales :) He loved the food, particularly the Yorkshire Pudding! Sean was our waiter - very helpful and attentive!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spot onFrancisccoDined on 11/9/2014The dark space feels totally UK. Even my English friend was impressed (although the phone box should have naked pictures in it, as well as a phone). Service was superfriendly and attentive. Great comfort food prepared with obvious care. Plus Whisky
- Out of town guests had a wonderful meal!SunshinerDined on 11/6/2014We brought out of state family here for a special occasion dinner. The food was delicious, and we enjoyed an appitizer of the meat & cheese plate. We all had a little bit of everything & noone was disappointed. The one embarrasing thing that happened was that one of the guests wanted a box for their veggies to take home & they said it would be 75 cents extra! We agreed to it for our guest but thought that was ridiculous for a $400+ tab. Other than that, it was a wonderful meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tam-O-Wonderful!JHicksDined on 11/2/2014The Tam-O-Shanter is one of the oldest and best restaurants in all of Los Angeles. The Scottish sister of Lawry's never disappoints. Try the prime rib, or one of dozens of fine scotches. This was a great place to go for my wife's birthday.Special Features:
- Thanks!CraigDined on 11/2/2014Another great meal. Really enjoying the cheese and charcuterie selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lost It's CharmTinaVIPDined on 11/2/2014I Have Been Going To This Restaurant For A Very Long Time Since I Was A Child And All Of The Lawry's Restaurant. I Even Worked As A Waitress At The Steak Fiesta In LA During The Summer. Somehow The Last Few Times It Has Lost It's Charm In Both The Quality Of Food And Lack Of Good Service. I Ordered The English Cut And Much To My Surprise Their Was A Lot Of Fat I Mention To My Server His Reply ' The Other Slices Would Be The Same'. The Restaurant Was Not Busy , No Manager Was Waking Or Seeing That Everything Was Fine. Overall It May Be Sometime Before I Return. Perhaps Just For Lunch When It Is Self Served And The Staff Is Friendlier..Special Features:
- Love this old gem!TamoshanterluvDined on 11/2/2014Our service was amazing. Mauvie was attentive and knowledgeable about the menu. She made many recommendations and all were delicious! Love the old school atmosphere at Tam O Shanter.Special Features:
- CelebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/1/2014It's always been a destination dinner spot. Great food and service all around... Great food choices and prepared perfectly.Special Features:
- A Renewed ExperienceLAChefPaul1253Dined on 11/1/2014I've been a fan of "The Tam" for years and the recent changes to their menu and brunch options are impressive. There is a nice balance of what you've loved about the food with a fresh spin on the menu with new options, catering to a wider palate and new diners. This is why The Tam keeps me going back!Special Features:
- Old school charm and historynucsdocDined on 10/31/2014This restaurant is the original Lowry restaurant and the offerings are equal to those of the LA Cienega Prime Rib. Lose the BBC traffic and enjoy a great meal.Special Features:
- The Tam' has changed.CarlDined on 10/28/2014My wife and I have been coming to the Tam' for over 50 years when we wanted a special place and have noticed changes, but tonight it was just too much. The Food was as good as usual but it felt like a local bar that served food. The service was slow and non attentive. There was a trivia game going on in the bar with the announcer constantly giving challenges. He was so loud that it was very annoying in the rear seating areas. If they have to have trivia in the bar, we will find another place to go. We were celebrating our friends 47th anniversary and I noted that on our reservation booking, mentioned it to the hostess and was disappointed when the server never even mentioned it or offered them anything special without tell her.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful prime ribOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/25/2014We have been going to the Tam for 30+ years. The prime rib is still some of the best around. The menu has been updated over the years so you have many choices. They have live music in bar on Friday and Saturday and a great sandwich bar., from prime rib to lean pastrami & turkey. Great place for special occasions or stay in the bar area for good sandwiches and music or to watch the game. Love this place for lunch or dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AndieDined on 10/25/2014The prime rib was good, not outstanding, and the yorkshire pudding was dry, definitely a disappointment compared to Lawry's. Little stingy on the condiments like horseradish and butter for the bread and the gravy on the mashed potatoes. However, great atmosphere and a fun place.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/25/2014Staff was very attentive to my Mom as it was her 93rd BDay. Really made her feel special. The prime rib thin cut was the best we have ever had. Didn't feel rushed. Wonderful service and ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VERY ENJOYABLEbj14Dined on 10/25/2014We returned to the Tam after about 2 years. It was as good as ever. The side dish of risotto was incredible. And as usual the CC Brown's hot fudge sundae was simple the best.Special Features:
- Great Food and AtmosphereStinkyLuDined on 10/24/2014Love everything about this old Disney haunt. The food and drinks are amazing, and the servers were top notch. Great place for Scotch aficionados. Enjoy a fancy dinner or drop in for the sandwich and ale bar!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must eat!Cocolover1Dined on 10/24/2014About 1 month ago I happened upon Tam O'Shanter and had one of the best meals of my life! I eat out all the time and this place hits every craving known to man. The Rib eye, autumn vegetables, and stuffed dates are a must! I have had many things on the menu and every time, this place does not disappoint! Trust me..Tam O'Shanter is a must try and you too will be hooked...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the sameWestwoodgirlDined on 10/23/2014Several of us have been going here for years to celebrate a birthday. I have noticed that the food is not as good as it used to be. I remember the food to have been better.Special Features:
- Happy AnniversaryButchVIPDined on 10/20/2014We celebrated our wedding anniversary here. The evening was delightful....the meal was exceptional. It's always a pleasure to bring friends to enjoy one of our favorite restaurants.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/19/2014Always great food. Love the prime rib. Although a larger cut would be nice. Good selection of desserts.Special Features:
- The TamForkboy22Dined on 10/18/2014Every time, always the best. Never too long a wait, and always worth it. Strong drinks, great atmosphere, very different from Lawry's, more neighborhood... and don't forget the Scotch Rarebit.Special Features:
- Good EatshopeformoreDined on 10/18/2014I am not a fan of eating red meat in restaurants. It's usually not very good and I am disappointed. This was not the case at the Tam O' Shanter. The prime rib was without a doubt the best I have ever had. The cut was fork tender and cooked to my specifications. The sides were very tasty and the Cesar salad was divine. Even the bread that was brought out was amazingly good. We will go back for sure. The only problem was the service, although very cheerful, was rather slow. They need more waiters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great dining experienceCraigDined on 10/17/2014Dinner on Friday. Reservations at 6:30...stuck in traffic, called ahead to advise..told no problem, they will hold the reservation. Arrived at 6:40, car to valet and seated within 10 minutes. Had a cheese and charcuterie appetizer. Delicious! Then Tam cut Prime Rib....wonderful. I love being able to have a Lawry's quality dinner without having to go all the way into the mid-westside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tam O'Shanter never disappointsAtwaterDinerDined on 10/16/2014We've been going to the Tam O'Shanter for years, and it is one of our favorite restaurants. It's such a pleasure to dine in a place where the service, ambiance and food are equally excellent. The updated menu is terrific, the bar is hopping. And you can still get the best prime rib at the Tam!Special Features:
- KevinCVIPDined on 10/15/2014A classic. The deviled eggs are to die for. And the carving station in the bar is a great cheap meal.Special Features:
- SunshinerDined on 10/15/2014I hadn't been to Tam O'Shanter in 25 years & was glad to visit once again. I had the prime rib & it was delicious. I will definately go again in the not so distant future. The only bummer was the lack of public/ free parking, you almost have to use the valet which is good but an additional cost.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun Evening with FriendsnyeDININGDined on 10/14/2014Tam O'Shanter never disappoints! Food is always perfect. Love the soufflé!! Servers were friendly and efficient. We had a table of six people, who were all served on time........no mistakes. We will always go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/12/2014It's been a few years since i dined at Tam. I had high expectation as i brought my boyfriend and his family there to celebrate his birthday. I chose Tam over Lawry's primarily for Tam's signature dish Toad in a Hole. However, i was kinda disappointed that they ran out of Toad in a Hole. But the server did not inform us until the dishes for the rest of the party are already out. Then the rib eye dish was 'held back' until last dish was ready, which was a BIG mistake as the rib eye was totally ruined, came out dry and overcooked. We ordered MEDIUM RARE, but it came out closer to MEDIUM WELL. In place of Toad in a Hole, we ordered Roast Pot, just another disappointment, as the meat was way too dry and tough.
- Notable changes to menu.wheelsDined on 10/12/2014Even though the menu had changed somewhat, our waiter, Jonathan was familiar with the old offerings as well as the new offerings available. He made suggestions that turned out to be very good. He made us feel comfortable with the new menu selections.Special Features:
- megustacomerDined on 10/12/2014very much enjoyed our time. Food was good and fun was had by all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good brunchWinoDined on 10/12/2014We had an excellent brunch, nice atmosphere, good food and service. The make your own Blood Marys are good too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very enjoyable!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014This is a wonderful place to share a meal with family and friends. It was so much fun that we will be doing it again soon! Will definitely recommend this restaurant to my friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Happy BirthdaygourmandDined on 10/11/2014None of us had been to the restaurant before. But, the meat-centric menu was ideal to celebrate my friend's birthday. He was thrilled with his rib eye and the special dessert the chef sent out. The manager dropping by to give his best wishes was a classy touch, and much appreciated.Special Features:
- yummy Tamscotty0TamDined on 10/10/2014consistently good food, known for their prime rib with delicious sides. Good for celebrations, expensive but sign up for their diner program and you can get good value back. Only complaint, kitchen was slow that night because they had several large groups that arrived prior to our being seated.Special Features: