210 West Washington Square
Philadelphia, PA 19106Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.talulasgarden.com/
- Phone: 2155927787x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Sunday Brunch 10:00am - 2:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Sean Mcpaul
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: Celebrate the New Year with your loved ones at the Garden! On New Year's Eve we will be offering our a la carte menu with luxurious additions, or indulge with a hyper-seasonal tasting menu. Bubbly wines and delicious wine pairings will be available! Reserve now before it's too late!
A word from Talula’s Garden
Behind the wrought iron gate, past the herbaceous patio and through the atrium is Talula's Garden, the warm and elegant Washington Square eatery from Aimee Olexy and Starr Restaurants. The modern menu, prepared with carefully-sourced ingredients and a light European touch, changes with the seasons. The artful cuisine, hospitable staff, sustainable spirits, and a focus on cheese make the dining experience here incredibly memorable.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Talula’s Garden - Best Restaurants in Washington Square ›
Talula’s Garden reviews from OpenTable diners
710 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (556)fit for foodies (529)special occasion (475)romantic (390)neighborhood gem (284)great for brunch (186)hot spot (167)notable wine list (140)good for groups (113)scenic view (101)vibrant bar scene (56)great for lunch (53)late-night find (33)kid-friendly (21)Show More
- Great but priceyHighStandardsFoodieDined on 9/14/2014I've been here a few times now. It's really great, a guaranteed good meal. It is very expensive though for those of us who are spoiled with Philadelphia's great variety of great and reasonably priced restaurants. Its very difficult for two people to get out of here without spending at least 140$. Of course I'll be back though, I would like to dine outside, its really gorgeous out there. Also, had the goose neck barnacles for an appetizer, they were very very messy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Brunch Spotdinnerfor2Dined on 9/14/2014Loved it! The menu is very creative and a nice change from the usually offerings. Will be returning..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Birthday CelebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/14/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our 1st experience here. Delicious food, excellent wait service, beautiful atmosphere. The only issue was that, although a reservation was made, I feel we should not have been told that outdoor dining was on a first come, first served, basis. Also, there is not a sufficient area to wait. The only place to sit was at the bar. Considering we were not interested in ordering an alcoholic beverage, it was not the most comfortable situation. Otherwise, it was a wonderful experience.Special Features:
- Great brunchMCDadDined on 9/14/2014Sunday brunch was fantastic. We had the breakfast pastry trio to start, and all three were delicious. I had the breakfast burger, and it did not disappoint. It was cooked perfectly medium-rare and the bacon adorning it was fantastic. The roasted breakfast potatoes accompanying it were equally delicious. They were crispy and nicely seasoned. Wife had the frittata, which I did not sample, but she said was delicious. We have been for dinner several times, and will most definitely be back for both dinner and brunch in the near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingFresnofoodieDined on 9/13/2014We were looking forward to this restaurant based on the menu and the "organic" theme, but the overall experience was disappointing. The dining room was so loud and crowded, it was hard to hear each other. The presentation on the plates was nice, but the flavor was mediocre, especially considering the price. My fish was overcooked and not very fresh. The only good thing we had was goat cheese ravioli. For the price and the city, there are definitely better places to go.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/13/2014Tasting menu with wine pairing was superb- the sommelier was particularly knowledgeable about all the wines. Somewhat of a splurge but well worth it!Special Features:
- In a word...PERFECTION.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/12/2014I am embarrassed to say that despite my desire and hope to do so long before, my first visit to TG was in June. I have been back 2 times since and every time and blown away by the whole package. The food is incredible..."Farm to Table"-esque but done in a sophistication that is simply perfect. The outdoor dining option (when weather permits) makes the experience that much more enjoyable and makes you feel as if you are in a fairytale. The staff, from bussers to servers to management are well trained, pleasant, friendly and a delight. I love, love, love this restaurant and will come back often. I don't often leave my neighborhood (which is on the other side of the city) but for this restaurant I will...every time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Napa2013Dined on 9/12/2014The garden was full and indoors was rather noisy Wine was good. Blue fish as the main course for two of us and one the crispy pork belly. In each case it was good. My gnochi starter was at bit disapppinting but my wife enjoyed ribbon pasta and our third member very much enjoyed fried oysters.Special Features:
- Simply StunningsavoryswagDined on 9/11/2014The outdoor bar was fun, the atmosphere is beautiful, and the food was well portioned and exceptional. Highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always love it!!FunkaliciousVIPDined on 9/11/2014This is probably just our favorite spot in the city. It never lets us down and the food is out if this world!Special Features:
- Never a disappointmentElysgirlDined on 9/11/2014As always the "garden" never let's me down. It is so pretty, the fresh menu is seasonably delicious from appetizer to dessert and the wine list is great. The service is efficient, friendly and knowledgable. Truly one of my top 5 favorite spits in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- queenVIPDined on 9/11/2014Wonderful service and great food, server was helpful since it was our first time thereSpecial Features:
- Great FindJohnKDined on 9/10/2014While we were visiting Philadelphia, we were lucky to find this gem. Everything was great. The menu was a bit different than we are used to, but we were both very pleased with our meals. Service was top notch too.Special Features:
- Go to eat - not to parkgswcDined on 9/10/2014Outstanding restaurant in all regards. Sadly, their valet service put a sour note on an otherwise delightful evening. God only knows where they park your car. It took over 25 minutes for them to deliver our car - with only one other couple waiting (just as long!). The head valet's response was nasty. He told us next time to order our car when we order dessert. Sounds like this is a frequent occurrence.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Philly GemDiningDivaDined on 9/8/2014Have nothing but praise from our welcome, seating, entire service staff and every course from starter to dessert and all was perfect and delicious. The cappucino was weak but the French press was excellent. Would return as often as possible. Wines by the glass were limited but sufficient choices, though a bit pricey.Special Features:
- Lovely!!DISAPPOINTEDVIPDined on 9/8/2014A wonderful dining experience! We had a terrific server who is very attentive to detail. It would be lovely to have a dessert for chocoholics!!:):)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great first experienceMichaelDined on 9/7/2014We had heard so many wonderful things about Talula's Garden, that we were excited to have dinner there. Often, when things are highly recommended, we can place it in such high regard that disappointment is inevitable. Not at Tulula's Garden. Although we were not assigned the best table in the restaurant, we were fortunate to have a great server. Gillian was fabulous, patient and knowledgeable. She kept checking on us without being overbearing and the entire staff worked well anticipating our every need. We ordered a cheese plate, a starter, entrees, dessert and coffee. Everything we ordered, without exception, was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A special place!DeboDined on 9/7/2014Dining at Talulah's was a special treat. Our waitress was very knowledegable, the outdoor dining setting was lovely, and the food was really outstanding. We loved it! Only wish it wasn't so difficult to get a reservation to go back. Exceeded our expectations.Special Features:
- A consistent gemjrghistoryVIPDined on 9/7/2014The first time I dined in the spot Talula's Garden inhabits was for a pop-up, Stephen Starr trying to make use of the Washington Square space he had originally set up for Marcus Samuelson. Amazingly, I still remember what I ate that night. After Aimee Olexy decided to follow up her popu-up and take permanent residence, I became a fan, a regular, if inconsistent, visitor. Each meal brings new surprises. My wife and I decided on a whim to spend our Sunday evening at Talula's, and we loved it. Service was impeccable. Each course was remarkable and delicious. And of course, the cheese plate, Olexy's speciality, is de rigueur. Can't wait for the next visit. My tuna crudo appetizer was one of the best dishes I've had this year.Special Features:
- Great Birthday celebration!LG55Dined on 9/7/2014A friend had suggested Talula's Garden to me for dinner after a show at the Forrest Theatre. She described it as "her favorite " place to eat and after experiencing a fabulous dinner and birthday celebration at Talula's I can understand why. We arrived a little early for our 5 o'clock reservation so we were able to dine outside. Our waiter Jonathan was wonderful and knew the menu well, he made a great cheese plate recommendation and helped me choose my dinner. Each of us in our dinner group had wonderful,delicious meals and topped it off with incrediable desserts! I have not stopped talking about our experience , I would recommend Talula's to a friend and we will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful Day in the CourtyardRaggyboysVIPDined on 9/7/2014Had brunch on a beautiful September morning weather was great and courtyard is lovely. Terrific service and wonderful food only negative I could say is that it is a bit pricey.Special Features:
- Awesome BrunchKathyMDined on 9/7/2014I went with 2 girlfriends on 9/7/14 for brunch before a show at the Forrest Theatre. We were seated outside. Waitstaff was super attentive and friendly. I had the portabello mushroom eggs benedict and it was delicious. Potatoes were extra cripsy and also delicious. My friends had teh breakfast burger and the frittata. Both got rave reviews. Always wanted to try Tulalas Garden and I will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceJay1206Dined on 9/6/2014Our intentions were to sit outside on the awesome patio but due to weather we were forced to dine inside. The food and service was very good. I really think the patio dining would have really added to the overall experience but no one can predict the weather.Special Features:
- WonderfulMikeDined on 9/6/2014My wife and I celebrated our anniversary at Talula's Garden, and feel so lucky to have gotten a table. It was our first visit, and there will absolutely be more. Everything about our experience was perfect: the food was incredible and the service was attentive without being disruptive of our conversation. All in all, I can't think of a single thing to improve upon. A wonderful dining experience.Special Features:
- disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/5/2014I was so excited to have dinner and sit outside because of the great reviews. The pork belly almost seemed like a dry pork chop and the blue fish was equally not impressive. Pasta was amazing and the sides were good, although there could have been more ricotta with the beets.Special Features:
- Best food experience of my lifeBestmealifmylifeDined on 9/5/2014Drove to philly from NY for a ling weekend to celebrate our anniversary. Menu looked amazing on its own but decided to splurge on the tasting and wine pairing. $160 each but worth every penny! Each dish and wine was delicious and was paced very well. 8 courses and I believe 1 glass of rose champagne, 3 whites, 1 merlot, and a sherry. Got a bonus with a port. Coffee as well with dessert. It was lovely experience able to sit outside in the "garden" with the twinkle lights at night. The people we're very knowledgable about their menu, wine, and cheese but not pretentious. Laid back. You have to make a reservation here as I will do every time I come back to Philadelphia.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our Favorite RestaurantEmbeeDined on 9/4/2014We come here regularly because it is one of our favorite restaurants. The service was a TAD slow but it will not dissuade us from coming back. Still top tier.Special Features:
- Best cheese plate in Philadelphia!EstroVIPDined on 9/4/2014I've been in Talula's Garden almost a year ago. I remembered I loved it, but to be honest couldn't tell you details why. It didn't resonate in my mind though I did remember it was good. Thus I wanted to come back. and wow... the food was amazing. the cheese plates selection they have are the best I've experienced in Philly. everything was just spot on and yummy. from the alcohol to the appetizers and entrees. the service was professional and courtesy, though bit slow. It was an exceptional meal, despite the high prices. Now I remember why I love this place :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great dinnerjudyDined on 9/4/2014Sitting in the garden was lovely. Sangria was delicious. Loved my chicken under brick & especially side order of green beans and mushrooms.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice for special occasion.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/2/2014I noted that it we were celebrating a birthday on the reservation and our waitress greeted us with a "happy birthday". Very shabby chic ambienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good for special occassionKandBDined on 9/2/2014We went here for a pre-theater meal on our anniversary and greatly enjoyed the meal. All the food was excellent, as was the service, but we agreed on a few points for possible future visits: 1) We would plan to spend more time at the restaurant rather than going to the theater as well. 2) We would have wine rather than the large bottle of beer that we shared with our entrees. We were told that it is possible to bring our own wine for a $25 corkage fee, which might be worth considering, as the wine (along with most of the food) is pretty expensive.3) Not sure whether we would get the cheese board again. It was nice, but not much for the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/1/2014Wonderful in every way!! Don't miss it when you are in Philly.Special Features:
- Flavorful food!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/31/2014An excellent spot for farm-to-table ingredient eating. So impressed by their Sunday brunch, we went back for dinner. All items we ordered were fresh and very flavorful. The restaurant itself is tastefully decorated and sits in a very unique building. It is now a "must" for us upon returning to Philly.Special Features:
- memorableOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/31/2014definitely coming back and recommending to friends visiting Philadelphia. could definitely see this restaurant in new york city. great experience.Special Features:
- AMAZINGOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 8/31/2014This has to be our new favorite restaurant. Looking forward to returning whenever in Philly. Food was fresh and so tasty! The ambiance was delightful and the service was wonderful.Special Features:
- Great atmosphereCeeCeeVIPDined on 8/31/2014A very special restaurant. Everything works. The food is wonderful, the presentation beautiful and the ambiance perfect for farm to table.Special Features:
- Top notch food and serviceAngelaVIPDined on 8/31/2014My daughter was in town visiting for the long weekend. She has many food allergies and the chef was able to make her a custom meal that she said was super delicious. Not only was the food great, but the accommodation and service was the best!Special Features:
- AmazingAnthonyDined on 8/31/2014Came for a birthday brunch on Sunday. Great restaurant with an amazing staff. Eric, our server, was fantastic and very professional. The food was superb and obsolutly devine. All in all, it was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not good enoughtLovegoodfoodDined on 8/31/2014Last year a try the brunch and was great I get there this time w the same expectations and doesn't good enought to much egg not flavor I think I can get better omelet at IHOP and that is not good for this kind of restaurant.Special Features:
- Overratedamf5632Dined on 8/30/2014I came to this restaurant expecting excellent service because of the great reviews they've had (and price). I made reservations letting them know it would be my boyfriends birthday and I'd like to sit outside. When we came they made us wait 20 minutes at the bar which was overcrowded. When they went to seat us outside the table wasn't even ready for us to sit and had to wait for them to clean it. When we ordered our meals it took them forever to bring. When we asked for desert they didn't put a candle or a saying of "happy birthday". I'm very disappointed in the service of this place. The only positive thing I can say is the garden was beautiful and romantic looking.Special Features: