210 West Washington Square
Philadelphia, PA 19106Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.talulasgarden.com/
- Phone: 2155927787x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Sunday Brunch 10:00am - 2:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Sean Mcpaul
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: Celebrate the New Year with your loved ones at the Garden! On New Year's Eve we will be offering our a la carte menu with luxurious additions, or indulge with a hyper-seasonal tasting menu. Bubbly wines and delicious wine pairings will be available! Reserve now before it's too late!
A word from Talula’s Garden
Behind the wrought iron gate, past the herbaceous patio and through the atrium is Talula's Garden, the warm and elegant Washington Square eatery from Aimee Olexy and Starr Restaurants. The modern menu, prepared with carefully-sourced ingredients and a light European touch, changes with the seasons. The artful cuisine, hospitable staff, sustainable spirits, and a focus on cheese make the dining experience here incredibly memorable.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Talula’s Garden - Best Restaurants in Washington Square ›
Talula’s Garden reviews from OpenTable diners
682 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (528)fit for foodies (496)special occasion (455)romantic (387)neighborhood gem (274)great for brunch (182)hot spot (152)notable wine list (131)good for groups (114)scenic view (93)great for lunch (60)vibrant bar scene (51)late-night find (33)kid-friendly (18)Show More
- Best meal in Philly!tigerlilyoneVIPDined on 8/26/2014Talula's Garden is such a hidden gem on Washington Square West, that dining for the first time made me feel like I wish I had been dining there since they opened! From start to finish, amazing service, ambiance, and most importantly, really tasty and inventive food without being over the top on the "innovative" flavor and ingredient combinations. They even have an authentic cheesemonger! Will absolutely be back again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing bday dinner with hubbyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014Not sure if food or service was better...both incredible. Manager took 1st drink round off bill because apps arrived before drinks...without us complaining at all. Overall amazing and highly recommend.Special Features:
- Perfect in every wayOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/26/2014From drinks to dessert, this was an outstanding meal. A bit pricey but worth every penny. We loved the outdoor garden - just perfect for a cool late summer evening. Our appies were awesome - roasted Kennet Square mushrooms (I'd go back for this alone) and Dixie shrimp both with unexpected bursts of flavors and textures. Main dishes were equally impressive - Seared Day Boat Scallops and Chicken Under a Brick.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We went on a Tuesday night for pre-OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/26/2014theater dinner. Although there is a beautiful outdoor space, we chose to eat inside. The restaurant was relatively empty at 5:45. When we left at 7:15 it was packed. Our waiter, Jonathan, was attentive, personable and professional. We asked him about the history of the space which is absolutely gorgeous. He was able to give us the entire history from the time it was erected in the early 1900s. My dinner was perfect. I had the sweet corn soup which was sublime then for my main course I had a half order of hand-torn pasta ribbons. They practically melted in my mouth. My husband had the marinated heirloom tomatoes which were delicious followed by swordfish which he liked but didn't love. We will definitely go back.Special Features:
- TerrificOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/25/2014Best meal we've eaten in Philly! And the wine pairing was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Talula's AWESOME ATMOSPHERE & FOODOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/25/2014The food was delicious - the atmosphere is absolutely precious - inside and out. The wait staff was super attentive, knowledgeable and all around awesome. Definitely will be back!!!Special Features:
- Amazing!!luvgoodfoodDined on 8/24/2014Everything was fantastic from the service to the food to the cocktails, especially having the Dad's Hat Rye Whiskey. Staff very friendly and attentive, even remembered off handed comment about my birthday and they brought a complimentary dessert. Our new favorite restaurant and can't wait to bring friends.Special Features:
- Fantastic BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/24/2014Fantastic Sunday brunch. Great setting. Prompt service. Highly recommend the Farm Egg Omelet, Breakfast Burger, and the Ricotta Donuts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Totally EnjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/24/2014Friends had given me mixed reviews regarding the service and the food. A friend from out-of-town wanted to eat there so I went. We went for brunch. I arrived early and sat at the bar awaiting the rest of my party. I was offered a free drink after being ignored by the bartender. Then the manager offered me garden seating which was great. Anyone that has been to Talula's Garden knows outside seating is first come, first seated. The food was very good. I had the breakfast burger and the "Optimist", blueberry lemonade, citrus vodka, and basil-delish. Burger cooked to perfection and it came with bacon. Super yuumm!! My friend had the Talula's mojito and the frittata. I suggest if at all possible sit in the garden.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/24/2014This is a fabulous spot. We went for bruch, but intend to go back for dinner. I would recommend Talula's to anyone looking for a great atmosphere and great food.Special Features:
- Nice TimeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014Had reservations for 7:15 p.m. on a Saturday night. Seated right away. Server and wait staff were very good, without being over bearing. Food was brought timely and was outstanding. It was everything we hoped for and more.Special Features:
- Elegant and earthyfdenthusiastVIPDined on 8/23/2014We had hoped to eat in the garden but the weather was wet. Instead we had a comfortable spot in a corner where the noise was manageable for us noise-challenged folks and we were doted on just the right amount. The food was wonderful and matched the elegant and earthy decor and ambiance of this special dining experience. I thought that the menu hit it just right in terms of choices and without overwhelming us with too many items to sort through. Memorable was the pork belly, the steak and oh my, the perfectly crisped potatoes and delectable brioche with basil butter melting in the center. And the mushroom dish from Kennett Square was just so delicate and flavorful. We'll be back!Special Features:
- Above and beyondCook2eatDined on 8/22/2014I chose this restaurant because it was my wifes birthday and she had really wanted to eat here for around a year and never really got around to it. All I did was mention that a little during a reservation confirmation and I had no idea what they would do next. The staff went out of there way, or maybe that is what they are always supposed to do, either way from the moment we sat down they made my wife feel like it was really a special night just for her. I couldn't have asked for a better dinner for her. Food was outstanding, beautiful and elegantly simple. The cheese menu was impressive and the knowledge the staff had of it was formidable. Great time.Special Features:
- Really good foodIguanetteDined on 8/21/2014I really enjoyed the beef tartare!! Great food and service!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our 2nd visitKarenrVIPDined on 8/21/2014Our first visit was for a sunday brunch, which was earlier this year. The Bloody Mary remains memorable! This visit was for dinner. We had the mushrooms, corn soup, and tuna croudo to start. All were well executed and through our sharing, we each got to have a bit of all three. The dinners were excellent as well. I had the crab pasta, the smaller portion, and it was just the perfect amount for my entree and tasted great. My daughter had the skirt steak, and that could be cut with a butter knife and had a rich taste. The other two each had a fish dish I believe, but raved about how good it was. Definitely a return trip for both brunch and dinner. Well done TT!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a beautynewvisitorDined on 8/20/2014I picked the restaurant by the interior photos and online menu. Every room in the restaurant was beautiful including the cozy garden with twinkly lights -even nicer than expected! Food was good (loved the little brioche). A little pricey for the amount of food though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/20/2014Excellent food with excellent wait staff! Very knowledgeable staff. Service was excellent. Cheese plates and pasta dishes are excellent. Try the bluefish you will not be disappointed. The scallops are the best entree!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved-loved-LOVED itWaltVIPDined on 8/20/2014Everything about this place is inventive, from the charming garden, to the decor, to the herb-infused cocktails, to the imaginative food. The food flavors, boldly seasoned with fresh herbs and veggies, were unlike anything I've tasted before. And don't fail to order a cheese plate - full of complementary flavors and textures. Run, don't walk, to Talula's Garden!Special Features:
- Tasting MenuChrisDined on 8/19/2014We celebrated our 47th anniversary at Talula's Garden the other day. There were so many special dishes to choose from that we decided to have small portions of many and chose the Tasting Menu. Nine courses! and every one was a delight to the palette. You might ask, "How can I eat nine servings?!" We managed and enjoyed every bite. Our favorites: Foccasia di Recco with Fresh Chevre and Charred Onion, Anson Mills Corn Flour and Saffron Linquini, Summer Squash, Blue Crab, Mint, and Chiles, the veal dish, and oh, the desserts! We did not add the wine pairings, but I am sure that would have been delightful also.Special Features:
- PerfectOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/18/2014We were there for a birthday celebration. The chef was in and created a personal tasting menu for us based on our dietary restrictions (in this case vegetarian, no soy, light on the dairy products). They are also able to create vegan, gluten-free, etc., menus based on personal tastes/needs. The sommelier was entertaining and extremely knowledgeable about all the drinks that were paired with the meal. All the staff made us feel comfortable and important and the food was creative, delicious and substantial. We were seated next to a couple that had their wedding reception at the restaurant two years prior, and it was nice to see how they were remembered by the staff that was present at the time. Definitely will be back. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/18/2014We had a great anniversary dinner here, the service and food were great.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014Great food supported by a great staff. Had an anniversary to celebrate and they did a superb job for the first time any of us had been there. We set up the reservation by open table and requested a nice table for the anniversary. Staff and mgr. were terrific.Special Features:
- Wonderful food and great ambiance!GabbyDined on 8/17/2014I loved this place! The food was phenomenal; very flavorful and filling. It is a truly beautiful and peaceful place with a great patio and even better indoor dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OUTSTANDING BRUNCHPlouDined on 8/17/2014We chose Talula's Garden to celebrate a friends milestone birthday with brunch. I knew we were in for a wonderful experience but it was even better than expected. The food was fresh and tasty, nothing was overpowering. The amount was perfect. The service was fantastic. We got to sit and talk and eat and were not rushed. Every aspect of the meal was wonderful. I would highly recommend Talula's to all my friends and cannot wait to go back for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstanding mealnessDined on 8/16/2014We did the 8-course chef's tasting menu and it was superb. Each course was a decent size-so don't eat a big lunch if you do the tasting menu! Service was outstanding. We told the restaurant that we received a gift card as a wedding gift and they went above and beyond to make sure we had a memorable dining experience.Special Features:
- Good but not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/16/2014Talula's is a very nice restaurant but overpriced, cheese plate has very small portions & very few nuts or the jam would not cover part of 1 cracker, wine list has very nice selections but few under $50.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome.GoodtimesDined on 8/16/2014Great place, great vibe, very romantic. We had an incredible night. Restaurant was beautiful and service impeccableSpecial Features:
- Second Visit Not So GreatPhilly4FoodVIPDined on 8/16/2014This was our second visit to Talula's with the same couple we visited the first time. While all of us thought the food was great, we all agreed the staff needed training. It doesn't sound professional to be told when we asked for some bread to go with our drinks that bread comes after our food order is placed. It could have been said a little more diplomatically, "It will arrive shortly." Food was placed on the table without so much a pleasant comment as our first time. The restaurant was not crowded, so the excuse could not be that it was busy. We expected more from a Steven Starr restaurant. Service in his restaurants has always been pleasant and helpful.Special Features:
- Dine outside if you can!lildchicDined on 8/16/2014The garden at Talula's was the perfect location for my husband and me to celebrate a special occasion. The ambiance was perfect, the staff was attentive, and the food was to die for. We enjoyed every bite we consumed. We will certainly be returning for the next special occasion we can think up.Special Features:
- Amazing Food--Odd ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/16/2014Fantastic food. The portion size and recommendations were very odd. I was dinning alone, and ordered a few courses (threE) assuming they were small. After I ordered, my waitress recommended ordering not one, but two cheeses...Naturally, I inferred the dishes *must* be small. Why else would she recommend I order more? I felt upsold and conspicuous as large portions kept appearing on my table. I took more than half of the food home, and mentioned it to the manager. This is an oversight on the part of the staff. The manager made me feel worse saying, 'yes. I noticed you ordered rather a lot'. I'm a 130 pound 5'9, and shouldn't need to made to feel guilty or awkward when the waitress tried to sell me on more food and did not help with ordering.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timersfoodiefromtheburbsDined on 8/16/2014We looked for a good dining spot for after the play in town. Found T's and looked over their menu and said,....oh yes. Ta's did NOT disappoint. My SO and I started with a cheese plate, that included a quick explanation of each presentation. Great way to open your diner experience. Just pick the one that appeals to you. Next my SO got the pork, with fava beans et al, and was very pleased. I got the scallops, and they were tasty, but a touch under sized. We shared the broccoli veggie and THAT was excellent, steamed then fried lightly broc with cheese and heavy spices. That is a repeat to make at T's. We finished with splitting the fig and mascarpone dessert, and again, was excellent. We did request and got an outside table.Special Features:
- Chef's tasting menu true experiencebdub1147Dined on 8/15/2014My wife and I both enjoyed the tasting menu during the weekend of August 15th. It was truly an experience and did not leave us wanting for more food or more intriguing/masterful taste pairings. My wife also had the wine pairing. The variety of wines and insight from the sommelier into both the ingredients and why the wine was picked as a complement to the meal was impressive. Will definitely be back and looking forward to trying dishes off the ala carte menu.Special Features:
- Always fabulous.TeddyBearVIPDined on 8/15/2014We had an excellent dinner with great service. Talula's is consistently outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasting menu - food galore!foodiemegDined on 8/15/2014We dined at Talula's Garden on Friday night and opted for the tasting menu. We generally love these as it provides an opportunity to sample many different plates from the menu. We both understand that it's typically more food to eat throughout the night… but this was A LOT of food. Too much. There is no need to serve an entire round of focaccia or a full bowl of pasta for each of us. A few bites of each course is more than enough to get through a tasting menu. Delicious food, but make sure your stomach is empty before choosing this tasting menu.Special Features:
- IncredibleMariaLDined on 8/15/2014The most delicious, scrumptious food. The best service, the most beautiful garden! Talula's is a utopian oasis. If only I could eat every meal here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantastic mealOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/14/2014food was great. service was phenomenal. love this place.Special Features:
- disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/13/2014The food was excellent....unfortunately our waiter was not!! It was a special occasion....there were 3 of us...2 had birthdays.....it could have been handled much nicer....Special Features:
- Amazing, as usualMichelle56VIPDined on 8/13/2014If you can snag a table, you can never go wrong with a night at Talulas! Especially of you get to sit outside in their garden masked in twinkling lights and lanterns. The cheese is the best board in the city by far. And the bluefin is the best fish dish I've ever hadSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent dining experiencelovefreshfoodDined on 8/13/2014Everything we ate was delicious. We started with a cheese course that we truly loved. An aged gouda was outstanding. We then had 2 beginnings - the tuna and the mushrooms - both were yummy. And then we had 2 veggie dishes - the broccoli and potatoes - also very tasty. We highly recommend this restaurant. We were pre-theatre, but anytime would be a great time to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReviewNYCFoodie24Dined on 8/12/2014Had a WONDERFUL experience. We can for dinner before attending a show ( 6pm dinner for 7:30 show) and told them when we booked our reservation so they were aware. Even though we were on a time crunch we never felt rushed! Our server was just the right amount of attentive without being overly so an both managers on duty checked in kindly. Would highly recommend for a date night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.