210 West Washington Square
Philadelphia, PA 19106Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.talulasgarden.com/
- Phone: 2155927787x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Sunday Brunch 10:00am - 2:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Sean Mcpaul
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: Celebrate the New Year with your loved ones at the Garden! On New Year's Eve we will be offering our a la carte menu with luxurious additions, or indulge with a hyper-seasonal tasting menu. Bubbly wines and delicious wine pairings will be available! Reserve now before it's too late!
A word from Talula’s Garden
Behind the wrought iron gate, past the herbaceous patio and through the atrium is Talula's Garden, the warm and elegant Washington Square eatery from Aimee Olexy and Starr Restaurants. The modern menu, prepared with carefully-sourced ingredients and a light European touch, changes with the seasons. The artful cuisine, hospitable staff, sustainable spirits, and a focus on cheese make the dining experience here incredibly memorable.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Talula’s Garden - Best Restaurants in Washington Square ›
Talula’s Garden reviews from OpenTable diners
690 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (545)fit for foodies (523)special occasion (463)romantic (371)neighborhood gem (291)hot spot (182)great for brunch (171)notable wine list (141)good for groups (119)scenic view (85)great for lunch (49)vibrant bar scene (46)late-night find (35)kid-friendly (22)Show More
- Amazing FoodgoldieDined on 10/19/2014The restaurant was recommended to us by a couple our first night in Philadelphia. The only reservation we were able to get was for brunch on Sunday the last day of our stay but it was worth the wait. We shared the everything bagel with lox and then spilt the eggs Benedict. They were a amazing!!! I couldn't keep our eyes from our neighbors table since everything looked delicious. The chocolate chip pancakes looked super yummy but I couldn't put another bite in my mouth. The pancakes at Talula's Garden will be a must on my next visit to Philadelphia. Don't miss this wonderful dinning experience!Special Features:
- Very enjoyable for our anniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014My wife and I celebrated our wedding anniversary here; was terrific. A romantic environment outside, and the food was excellent. My wife had the chicken under a brick, and it was SO tender and tasty, and the potatoes it came with were just as good. I had the fisherman stew, which was also excellent but less filling. I'd recommend ordering a side dish with the stew; the chicken dish was plenty to eat on its own. We began the meal with a cheese plate which was also outstanding. The wait staff was informative and responsive to our questions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly RecommendedJewelsDined on 10/17/2014A year between visits is too long but it was like having eaten there yesterday! The food and service are outstanding. The cheese selection is a highlight as is the wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GLewGLewDined on 10/16/2014Talula's Garden is the finest restaurant in Philadelphia. The staff is extremely knowledgeable about menu specifics and always make the best recommendations. The interior is gorgeous, and the exterior garden takes your breath away at night. But - it really is all about the food. The food is prepared with incredible care, everything is unique and beyond delicious, and all food is presented like pieces of art. We have celebrated birthdays and other important life events at Talula's - for those special memories, it is where we want to be. Do not miss an opportunity to enjoy a meal you won't soon forget at Talula's Garden.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor sevice can ruin a good mealOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/16/2014Food was good, and likely it was excellent, but it was marred by bad service. Waitress hardly ever checked in with us to see how we were doing. She would regularly service the table next to ours with her back to us, and never turn around to check on us. (who does that?) We tracked her down for water refills, for the check, and also to first even order. Seated and my husband joined 10 mins later, and it wasn't until 15 mins after that, that she came over, no bread brought, no checking in, no second chance to order our drinks (we had told her we would wait for him. IMHO the minute he sat, she should have asked for our drink order. Very dissapointed in this Stephen Starr place, others are excellent and we've frequented them all.Special Features:
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/16/2014Talula's Garden is one of my favorite restaurants... I love that the food is local and farm to table, I can eat everything and know that it is good for me, the environment and is helping local farmers and it is so tasty to boot!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best. Restaurant. Experience. Ever.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/15/2014I have only been really living in Philadelphia for the last couple of years and have sampled a lot of restaurants. I would have to say I was blown away by Talula's Garden. From the smells, sights, and just overall ambiance of the place, was really well done. I love the "farm-to-table" concept and it seemed that every single dish had something special, something unique, and something delicious. If you want to try something new, and maybe price isn't too much of a concern (as a special occasion), check it out.Special Features:
- BootsyBootsyDined on 10/12/2014Everything here is fabulous. When I am at Talulahs I don't want to leave!Special Features:
- Quaint & DeliciousBradDined on 10/12/2014Talula's is the perfect brunch or dinner spot for Washington Square. The restaurant layout is perfect and the actual garden itself is beautiful. Food was delicious and came out in a timely manner as well. This is a must try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebration BrunchJacquesMumphrey27Dined on 10/12/2014We returned to Talula's for brunch to celebrate a job promotion, and what a delicious celebration we had. The food was incredible, and our only difficulty was that we wanted to try too many items on the menu. Our server was very prompt, attentive, and friendly. The homey feel of the restaurant was welcoming as always. We used the valet parking service this time, and they were also very friendly and attentive. If anything, our only small complaint is that the noise level rose as the morning grew later, so if we were to do brunch again, we'd go earlier, but if you're someone who enjoys a lively atmosphere, late morning brunch is for you. I'd highly recommend this restaurant to anyone who wanted a delicious meal anytime of day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/11/2014Outstanding service and a wonderful menu made our anniversary dinner a great one. We very much enjoyed this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great special occassion restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/11/2014Third time eating here. What is most impressive is the consistency. We have ordered duck each time, and each time it was exceptional. Service is also excellentSpecial Features:
- Just as good the second time aroundSulmaxVIPDined on 10/11/2014This was our second meal at Talula's. We had the tasting menu the first time, but this time we decided to order from the regular menu. Everything was absolutely delicious. And the service was outstanding. We definitely look forward to going back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Talula's Garden a Blooming DelightMikeDined on 10/11/2014If you want a great setting with some of the best food in Philadelphia - Talula's Garden is the place. Farm to table cuisine at it's very best. Attention to detail on everything from the service of the wait staff to the deep knowledge of food, wine paring and uniqueness the chef prepares.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My new favorite on phillyOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/10/2014Pork belly was amazing still thinking about it Carnivores delight with great veggiesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- xexamExam1Dined on 10/10/2014A favorite. Consistant good service and food. Our waiter was knowledgeable and described each selection perfectly, especially the cheeses. You'd be hard pressed to find anything better -- enjoy!Special Features:
- Always a FavoritekenandruthVIPDined on 10/9/2014Talula's Garden is our current favorite Philadelphia restaurant. The menu changes seasonally and the options are always inventive, creative and delicious. This is about our tenth visit and it won't be our last.Special Features:
- Simply the Best in PhiladelphiaRussVIPDined on 10/9/2014We couldn't have had a better evening to celebrate our 33rd Anniversary. Tasting menu was outstanding. Chef accommodated my wife's food allergies with creative selections. The service was attentive including the managers who made it a point to make our evening special. We have dined at Talula's since it opened and will continue to be loyal patrons. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top notchRossMcKVIPDined on 10/9/2014Everything about Talula's Garden was superb, except perhaps the noise level. It's busy and full, but the food was fantastic. We began with a cheese plate ("Not your Granny's") that was excellent and well chosen. Our mains (trout and tilefish) were very tasty. The Side broccoli is highly recommended. And our desserts (apple crisp with cinnamon ice cream and gingerbread with pear sorbet) were memorably good, esp. with the Dandelion Vineyards 30 year old Pedro Ximenez. Very well selected wine list. In short, we had superb meal. We eat out a lot, and this was memorably good. Very highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tremendous ExperienceBlueBellFoodieDined on 10/8/2014My wife and I celebrated her birthday at Talulah's Garden. I must say it was one of the top dining experiences we have had. The garden was beautiful. Our waiter Eric was fantastic. His knowledge of the cheeses on the cheese plate impressed me. His recommendations were spot on! We will definitely be back!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/7/2014food was great, service was amazing and the place is pretty cool!Special Features:
- Consistently one of the bestDemandingDinerVIPDined on 10/6/2014While "local" and "seasonal" are almost becoming clichés, this place restores your faith in both. Such a treat to walk in on the first cold day of Fall and be greeted by the aromas of the Fall menu. Aside from seasonality, dishes are consistently imaginative and flawlessly executed. Add knowledgeable and friendly service, and you have all the ingredients for a perfect evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedSohoVIPDined on 10/5/2014Brunch did not live up to its hype Dinner is much better. The food is typically awesome. Brunch was much less than stellarSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great every time!SoozDined on 10/5/2014We have never had anything but a wonderful experience here. Whether inside or out, the place is beautiful, but not stuffy. The food always tastes like the best xxxxx I've ever eaten - whether it be the best brunch, the best scallops, you name it. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Talula's Garden as a special occasion destination - whenever we've brought guests here, they've thoroughly enjoyed themselves.Special Features:
- will go backOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/5/2014Went for brunch before the theatre. Great food. Unfortunately was seated by the bathrooms before I realized that. Therefore, was annoying the constant flow and banging of door. Other than our table location, place was fabulous.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/4/2014Excellent expierience all around. Quality of food and service, beautiful setting.Special Features:
- SadieVIPDined on 10/4/2014The restaurant is gorgeous with a very appealing ambience. We enjoyed a very relaxed-pace dinner with wonderful and unrushed service. That said, I tasted 5 different dishes and thought they were mediocre (goat cheese mezzaluna) or the flavors were strong, but not particularly appealing (chicken under a brick, charred broccoli). The cheese plates are fine, but you can get more generous portions with more interesting accompaniments at other restaurants (especially considering the price).
- tamiDined on 10/3/2014We had a wonderful birthday dinner for my husband! The cheese plates are fabulous and service was superb! We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- loved it!gusslefussDined on 10/3/2014Talula's garden was a great experience. The outside garden was very beautiful and we were seated right away. It was a windy day however, and after my napkin blew away we requested to be seated inside and the wait staff was very accommodating. Both pastas we got-the ravioli with the chanterelle mushrooms and the gnocchi were amazing. The foie gras appetizer hit so many different flavors as I tasted it-each bite was satisfying. I would definitely reccomend Talula's as one of the best restaurants I've eaten at in philly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best chicken evermuttiDined on 10/3/2014I'm not sure that you can ever eat a better roasted chicken than the one prepared here. The cheese platters are amazing, our waitress was wonderful suggesting perfect wine pairings! The roasted brussel sprouts were sublime and the ricotta doughnuts...melted in your mouth! I must also mention the gnocchi, which were pillows of potato wonderfulness...This restaurant was perfection.Special Features:
- Perfect and priceyPhillyFoodieDined on 10/3/2014This may be one of the more expensive restaurants in Philadelphia, but it is sensational. The food is delicious- every dish was perfectly crafted and delightful. The service was especially outstanding- the manager who delivered our cheese plate seemed like an expert as he presented each cheese with great detail, and they were able to move our party of 4 inside, at my mothers request, once it became comically windy in the garden. The ambience is awesome - from the quirky city garden outdoors to the warm and inviting deco interior. I would totally return for another special occasion!Special Features:
- Not worth the second chanceJackieVIPDined on 10/3/2014I previously had a poor experience here for brunch, and the manager kindly called to apologize and gave me a gift certificate. I returned for dinner with my boyfriend, and while the service experience was greatly improved (our waiter was great), the food was disappointing. Our first non-cheese course came out an hour and a half after we sat down, was cold, and under-seasoned. The second course was unimpressive. The manager kindly removed the first course from our bill and gave us a complimentary dessert, but the overall experience was disappointing. The manager assured us that if we came back we would have an excellent experience, but we'd already tried. I can't justify spending any more here- the service doesn't compensate for the food.
- excellentMadisonsmomDined on 10/3/2014This restaurant was all around lovely!! Food was delish and our waiter John was awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food, good experienceFoodLover9Dined on 10/2/2014Our waiter was very knowledgable about at dishes and wines. Our food was served promptly and beautifully plated. Romantic atmosphere while incorporating a casual vibe for groups and children. It may be a bit expensive to dine at Talula's but for fresh, local, organic or biodynamic artwork on a plate, it is certainly worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Is Talula's Slipping?PhillyByChoiceVIPDined on 10/2/2014We dined here for the third time in as many years and found the food more ordinary and the service more presumptuous than our prior visits. We shared the Autumn 8 cheese selection - the cheeses were delicious but the condiments and breads skimpy. My main course (scallops) was pedestrian, and my dining companion's gnocchi were tasteless. Two glasses of wine came in very different quantities (one 3-4 ounces, one 5-6 ounces), despite same wine, same size glasses. We happened to be dining outside and received scant attention to re-light the gas space heater placed near by (it took numerous requests for help). Given Talula's high prices, the food, beverages and service need to pretty close to perfect each time; our recent visit was not.Special Features:
- theater goer.FoodforthoughtVIPDined on 10/1/2014Great as usual. Love this place! Always something new, fresh and exciting. Best place before the theater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food!ahphilaVIPDined on 9/30/2014Wonderful food but ridiculously overpriced wine, so be careful. A bottle of chardonnay that retails for $13.99 at PA Wine and Spirits is on the list for $54. The food, however, is worth every penny.Special Features:
- Wonderful experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/30/2014From the moment we sat down, we entered an incredible evening of amazing food. Every dish that came to our table was beautifully crafted and exploded with flavors that truly complemented each other. We decided to order several appetizers and 1 half pasta dish to get a true sense of what this restaurant has to offer. Dish after dish was full of pleasant surprises. Some of my favorites where the Foie Gras mousse, the cauliflower soup (although could have been warmer) the sausage with bean and smokey onion puree. The ravioli with braised lamb neck. The service was impeccable, our waiter and food runners were very knowledgeable about every dish and its ingredients. We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- AwesomeHbackDined on 9/29/2014One word to describe this place is AWESOME!!! The food was incredible as so was the service. I have been waiting a long time to try this restaurant and it certainly did not disappoint. From the fabulous cheese plate to the cauliflower soup which was just divine. And for dinner, the trout was just cooked to perfection. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and ServiceBalaDined on 9/28/2014The food was outstanding. There are many expensive good restaurants in Philly but Talula's is worth returning to again and again. Service and attention to details and satisfaction was impeccable.Special Features: