1952 North Damen
Chicago, IL 60647Neighborhood:
Bucktown / Wicker Park
Contemporary FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.takashichicago.com/
- Phone: 7737726170x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday Wednesday Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Sunday Brunch 11:30 am - 3:00 pm- Dinner 5:00 pm - 8:00 pm NOODLES AND TAPAS ARE BACK ON SUNDAYS!! ALSO AVAILABLE: 7 COURSE OMAKASE $65 9 COURSE OMAKASE $85
ALSO TRY OUR MARKET MENU ON TUESDAYS AND WEDNESDAYS! THREE COURSE CHOICE MENU, $39!
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French, Contemporary French, Asian
- Executive Chef: Takashi Yagihashi
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We will cater your lunch or dinner, 15 guests or more.
Please call 773-772-6170 for more details.
A word from Takashi
TAPAS AND NOODLE SUNDAYS AT TAKASHI ARE BACK!! HOURS:BRUNCH 11:30 am UNTIL 3 pm DINNER 5 pm UNTIL 8 PM. Acclaimed Chef Takashi Yagihashi (a James Beard Foundation Best Chef: Midwest award winner) features contemporary French-American fare with Japanese influences, combining the cuisine and service of a fine dining establishment with the warmth and accessibility of a neighborhood tavern.Continued
Seven course tasting menu available Tues through Sat, $75 - Optional wine pairing $46 Sundays - Tapas and Noodles beginning May 11th.
Seven course tasting menu available Tues through Sat, $75 - Optional wine pairing $46 Sundays - Tapas and Noodles beginning May 11th.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Takashi reviews from OpenTable diners
121 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (96)special occasion (79)romantic (67)neighborhood gem (59)great for outdoor dining (31)notable wine list (24)great for brunch (17)hot spot (14)good for groups (7)great for lunch (3)vibrant bar scene (1)scenic view (1)late-night find (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- budrDined on 8/28/2014We arrived at 7PM on a Thursday. There was just one other table occupied inside and a few outside so it was a very quiet scene. As more diners entered the noise level rose but we had no trouble conversing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Chicago favoritehampsteadcarrieDined on 8/26/2014Takashi is here, and a "celebrity" chef on-site is all too rare these days. It makes a difference. I love this place: Perfect dishes, interesting and unusual but not contrived. The food is sophisticated, but a young child at a nearby table ate with gusto. Lovely little terrace, small ground-floor room, charming upstairs room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/23/2014We love Takashi for romantic dinner or group birthday celebration...we usually do the tasting menu with the wine pairings and it is amazing. If you haven't been to Takashi...you definitely need to experience this place.Special Features:
- Surprisingly goodLivinthedreamDined on 8/22/2014I came to Takashi skeptical that it would measure up. I left thinking it raised the bar and set the standard. The tasting menu was consistently tremendous, plate after plate of beautifully prepared dishes that never disappoint. The Mediterranean glaze with Cumin on one of the dishes forced me to pick up my bread and finish it. Yes I made sure no one was watching. The baby octopus salad was packed with flavor after flavor. All of it felt healthy, a juxtaposition of spices and thoughtful combinations of ingredients. And the service was very accomodating and never intrusive. Jake and Giovanni were fabulous. An absolutely great night. Go to Takashi! I will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit disappointedKelJayDined on 8/19/2014My friends and I were eagerly awaiting our reservation. The starters were pretty good but our main dish (chicken in a clay pot) was so salty that we couldn't even finish it. One of my friends had to take her rings off because it effected her that quickly. The server was friendly but not on top of things and very slow. She didn't even notice our uneaten food. The dessert was delicious. Unfortunate for Takashi, there are so many restaurants in Chicago that I feel confident in saying that we will not return to give them another shot.
- Incredible.ZloraineyDined on 8/15/2014We loved Takashi, and happily spent more than we expected! We ordered the Omakase for four - and it was brilliant. The chef was completely accommodating to the fact that one of our party doesn't eat gluten or dairy, and made her lovely special dishes with elements of what the rest of us were served. One tiny gripe, and that's that we felt a little "encouraged out" at the end of the night - about 9:45 on a Friday night, which seemed a bit early to be rushing us along. It wasn't egregious, but it was real. We were one of two remaining tables, and we were spending a ton, so I didn't like that much. But otherwise, lovely service, amazing food, a very special treat.Special Features:
- Awesome Surprise!LivingforflavorVIPDined on 8/14/2014We didn't know when we purchased a groupon for Takashi what an incredible restaurant this is! I can't believe that we had never been there before. The food was perfect, the server was knowledgeable and everyone was friendly. Can't wait to go back! And they do a special menu on Sunday that I can't wait to try!Special Features:
- Just rightOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/14/2014Everything was perfect. Tables were a bit close compromising the intimacy but overall the experience was amazing. Food was perfectly seasoned and portioned. Since this was my first visit I went with the tasting to get acclimated with the menu. The scallops, duck, and pork belly were delicious. Up there with the best I've had. Dress code ranges from business casual to casual chic so don't be worried. Total was around $200 for 2 with tip and no wine pairing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasting MenuEatingWellDined on 8/12/2014We were a party of three and took the tasting menu option. It was a great experience. The food was excellent the course were the right portion and excellent.Special Features:
- Excellent food!TechylenDined on 8/3/2014This Japanese restaurant with the French influence makes for a very good combination. The crudo, bao, soup/noodles, & rice dish we had great. I highly recommend this restaurant. This was a lunch visit and looking forward to dinner next time I'm in Chicago.Special Features:
- Takashi great againOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/26/2014Love this place. Been here half a dozen times. Only regret is outdoor space is tiny, but we snagged a table out there the other night, and it was so pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little pricey and poor serviceWoodfordDined on 7/24/2014The tables are very close together. The food is very good but overpriced. My date and I had only one drink each and the dinner was over $200. The service was surprisingly poor. Our server, young blond girl, had neither an appreciation nor an understanding of dairy allergy. Several plates were served WITH dairy even though she said that she would respect the non-dairy request.
- Great mealmacaronisoupDined on 7/23/2014The 9 course dinner was fabulous. Skillful use of fresh ingredients. The dishes flowed together like a good story.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique and delicious Sunday brunchAmberVIPDined on 7/20/2014I hadn't heard anything about Takashi's Sunday brunch, so I was surprised to see that they serve a Sunday noodles and tapas menu. This reminded me of Yusho's Sunday noodles menu, although here there are more snacks and tapas available. Noodles are definitely the more affordable option, since you will fill up on a big bowl of broth, meats, veggies and noodles for less than $15. My friend and I opted to split a selection of tapas though, and they have some really interesting ones. We highly recommend the pork belly bao and the spicy cucumber kimchi. Save room for Pastry Chef Courtney Joseph's interesting Asian desserts too – matcha tofu cheesecake with azuki beans, kumquats and tofu ice cream was heavenly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Omakase, Excellent ServiceninjaVIPDined on 7/19/2014We went for dinner after having enjoyed the tapas/noodle brunch one Sunday. We opted for the 7-course omakase - staff was awesome/accommodating, the chef came out to say hello, and every bite was delicious. We chose the wine/sake pairings, and all of it was excellent. We felt full at the end, but not uncomfortably so, as the courses/pours were portioned well. My favorites included the crudo of baby octopus/hokkaido scallop and the egg dessert. My partner's favorites were the sauteed scallops and soba gnocchi and the Moroccan glazed duck. We paid a reasonable price for our meal, as well. We went early in the evening and received excellent service - everyone was incredibly attentive. All in all, a wonderful pick for a celebratory evening.Special Features:
- Always a PleasureOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/13/2014Food, service, wine pairings, never a disappointing moment. Sunday night very quiet. Chef tasting menu was great.Special Features:
- A new Favorite!JenF279VIPDined on 7/12/2014Had a wonderful meal. From cold plates to hot plates to entrees and desserts, everything was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodfreakVIPDined on 7/8/2014We loved Takashi when he was at Tribute in Michigan, but this venue has showcased his talents in a more extraordinary way. Every dish was notable and the flavors were complex. We loved the Pork Belly, Sweetbreads & Rabbit, Ceviche, Tuna Tataki and Soft-shelled crab. We didn't have room for entrees, but would have loved to try the chicken in a clay pot. For dessert, the carrot cake was unique and delicious. The service was competent and helpful in choosing wines to complement each dish, the portions were the perfect size and the prices were reasonable. We savored every moment and were lucky enough to see Takashi and his wife, Kathy, who greets the guests and sets the tone for a wonderful evening. We can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/6/2014You have to try the 7 course option, it is great and full of flavors!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/25/2014The food was good but small portions for the price.. At those prices I should be blown away and I wasn't..small wine list, tables too close together.. The table next to me kept listening to my conversationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingthehungryburritoDined on 6/22/2014Always a treat to eat here! And the noodle brunch on Sundays is back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVE Takashi!Shopgirl312VIPDined on 6/21/2014Another great meal at Takashi (we have had many). We sat at the bar with great server Pedro. Had the asparagus salad and pork belly appetizer (which we have ordered every time at Takashi). Also had the Scottish salmon which was a new preparation. OMG so great! Husband got the clay pot chicken which he has had 50 times. He said it was great as always. And you must get the egg dessert. Small but great!Special Features:
- A Must Try DinnerLuv2tryNewRestaurantsDined on 6/17/2014It was my first time at this restaurant. Service was great. Food was great. My husband and I had the 9 course Omakasa dinner for two. It was a good amount of food to fill you up. We tried a lot of food that we probably would never order off the menu. It was exciting to see what each dish will look like and taste like as they were brought to our table. The presentation and flavor of the food was spectacular. I do recommend people to give this restaurant a try. You may be surprised to find a dish you really like.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Graduation DinnerBetsyDined on 6/14/2014We took our daughter to Takashi for her college graduation dinner. The food and wine were excellent. The service was professional and attentive without being pretentious. We were very, very impressed with this restaurant and all of the staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Groupon VisitSandynTheoVIPDined on 6/12/2014We went to Takashi because we had a Groupon for the Omakase tasting menu. Overall we enjoyed everything, but the tasting menu takes quite a long time. So if you aren't in the mood to linger a bit between courses, I would order off the general menu. We selected the wine pairing for one of us and were able to share to get an the experience of the wine with the courses, which was delightful. Service was great and our server was very knowledgeable. Definitely a couples place and anything over 4 people would be a bit difficult.Special Features:
- Greatauntof2VIPDined on 6/8/2014Nice to have tapas and noodles back on Sunday. One of our favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/8/2014Best Sunday brunch in the city. Beats eggs and pancakes any day! Flavors are amazing, beautiful presentation. Perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food great; wine service needs workStJohnVIPDined on 6/7/2014The food is innovative and delicious, although the sizes a bit small for the corresponding prices. Wine service needs some attention. When confirming the booking, the receptionist disclosed the corkage fee when I asked (although it took her awhile to find out the information). However, she neglected to say that there was a limit of one bottle, which I found restrictive and inconsistent with most other restaurants of its quality, especially given the limited wine list. When I ordered wine by the glass, the glass was already poured. Restaurants trying to achieve the quality standards that this one is attempting should always bring the bottle and pour the glass at the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OmakasesrayDined on 6/6/2014We have been coming here for a few years and the omakase menu always amazes us! Aside from the wonderful food, the staff is always great, and now with the weather being nicer, it is so nice to be able to sit outside on the patio. This continues to be one of our favorites in Chicago!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- :)RyanDined on 6/5/2014Food was phenomenal, service just as well. The orange gelee on the duck could use some sweetness, but that is being way too nit-pickey. It made our honeymoon that much better :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentBeckyBDined on 6/5/2014Fabulous meal. We had the gnocchi and scallop appetizer. It was delicious. I had the pork loin 2 ways and my husband had the chicken in a clay pot. Both main courses were excellent. The best part of the meal, dessert. Wonderful dining experience! Next time we'll do the chef's tasting menu, as we had such a hard time deciding. Everything looked great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, expected moredrxtinaVIPDined on 6/1/2014We were there on a Sunday for the Asian cuisine/tasting menu, so I can't comment on their usual French-Asian cuisine. The food was okay, not what I expected for a $75 tasting course. Ambience was also just okay. Went for our anniversary expecting more of a romantic experience.
- The food was outstandingSusieQVIPDined on 5/31/2014We had the 7-course tasting menu. I HIGHLY recommend it. Outstanding start to finish. Favorites were the hot scallop dish and pork belly-- so tasty. We eat out a lot and this was as good as anywhere we've been. We brought a bottle of French Pinot and it paired well with everything. The table next to us had wine pairings, which they seemed to enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite Find!rettiDined on 5/30/2014Loved this place. We took our adult children who live only 3 blocks away (we are from Michigan) and the food was so good we were still talking about it the next week! Also, Chef Takashi was there and he stops to say hello and thanks for dining. The staff was great and the venue was adorable. The only negative was their were people dining outside and it became chilly and a little windy so when they opened the door to serve the people outside we were blasted with a cold breeze. But so worth it! Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Best Meal of Our TripninjaVIPDined on 5/25/2014Visited Chicago over Memorial Day weekend and checked out Takashi's ramen/tapas brunch, recently reinstated. So delicious, and a great way to check out the offerings. Everything is inventive, creative, well cooked, and delicious. We were looking for a slightly-more affordable Michelin experience, and this was the perfect thing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing foodAngieDined on 5/24/2014Everything we had was delicious. I am still craving the scallop with parmasan appetizer days later. Outdoor seating was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent diningOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/24/2014Excellent dinner and beverages. Takashi is truly a master chef.Special Features:
- Just amazingSethDined on 5/24/2014Perfect fusion of both Japanese and French. You have to try the chef's tastings with the pairing. Great date night place.Special Features:
- Thank You, Takashi!CookinDadDined on 5/24/2014My wife and I visited Chicago last weekend, and went to Takashi for dinner. We each had the Omakase (tasting menu) with wine parings. I LOVED every course! Terrific value for a Michelin rated restaurant! In my opinion, better than Auberge in Napa at 1/2 the price. Each course was better than the last, the lacquered indiana duck breast was cooked to perfection, and the desert: the egg and pistachio macaron was possibly the best desert I have eaten. A perfect balance between the velvet creaminess of the brulee with the crunch of the macaroon. Excelent balance of sweet/salt as well. Every wine paring was spot on. Thank you Takashi for an amazing anniversary dinner!Special Features:
- Treat in the tastingeemacooksDined on 5/17/2014The presentation and flavors were great. They accommodated my daughter's vegetarian and mushroom free needs in their lovely tasting menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.