219 Iowa Ave.
Iowa City, IA 52240Neighborhood:
SushiPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://takanamifusion.com/
- Phone: 3193515125x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Asian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We are able to cater our entire menu for your events! Please contact us directly for inquiries
- Private Party Facilities: We offer a private dining room that seats up to 15 guests. Please call or email us with questions on reserving this space!
For parties larger than 15 guests, we are flexible and can plan for other arrangements in our main dining room.
- Private Party Contact: Jason 3193515125x
- Cross Street: Dubuque
- Public Transit: Takanami is on the Iowa City public transit, University of Iowa Cambus and Coralville Public Transit bus routes.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Guests can park in front of the building on Iowa Ave. There is also a parking ramp on the corner of Iowa Ave & Gilbert Street.
A word from Takanami
Takanami is located in the heart of downtown Iowa City, just blocks away from the historic Old Capitol and the University of Iowa. Takanami is the perfect place to enjoy a dinner with family and friends, a business lunch, or to celebrate a special occassion. We take pride in using the freshest ingredients and providing you a truly one of a kind experience. Takanami offers private dinning for smaller groups as well as the theatrical and interactive teppanyaki tables for larger events.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Takanami - Best Restaurants in Iowa City ›
Takanami reviews from OpenTable diners
- Poor ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/1/2012After being seated no one waited on us or even brought us water even though wait staff walked past us many times. After 25 minutes of being ignored we alerted staff to being ignored and chose to leave. Needless to say we won't be returning.Special Features:
- Went before michael mcdonaldOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/26/2012Went before michael mcdonald concert. Sushi perfect. Service great. Try it.Special Features:
- Hadn't been in a long timeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/13/2012Hadn't been in a long time and service had been slow in the past. We were pleasantly surprised with efficient and cheerful service. The salmon sushi was excellent. The seared tuna dish was somewhat disappointing because though served rare, the slices were thick and the meat not as tender as expected. All in all it was a pleasant dining experience and will stay with the sushi next time.Special Features:
- Graduation celebrationSadlyDined on 5/11/2012We celebrated a U of I graduation and could not have been happier with the food, service, ambience. Loud enough to be lively but still good for conversation. Didn't order wine but the cocktails were great. Food excellent, very accommodating to a Very picky eater in the group, and the graduate was totally happy with the dinner and place. Couldn't ask for more.Special Features:
- My son was graduating fromOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/11/2012My son was graduating from University of Iowa and he wanted to go here for dinner. The sushi was very fresh. The waiter was good and very knowledgeable. They were very accommodating in that we didn't want the cream cheese that came on some of the rolls. A pleasant surprise!
- Service very slow and inattentive.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/4/2012Service very slow and inattentive. Have eaten at Takanami several times now in hopes of better service but keep coming away disappointed. Will not try again, too many better sushi places in town.
- On a date, we had both neverOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/28/2012On a date, we had both never been there and left thinking we have to come back very soon. Everything about it was wonderful.Special Features:
- Great Food and ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/20/2012Takanami has excellent sushi and service. It's beautiful inside and has a nice atmosphere which fits multiple occasions.Special Features:
- Best IC SushiOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/24/2012Outstanding sushi. Absolutely outstanding. The kobe roll...genius. The Alaskan took...genius. As a standard we get a few traditions rolls like the avocado, the eels...even those were to notch. No lie, this is a gem. It is loud, but staff moved us to make it better. It was tough to talk. More party sushi than romance but, if you want to imposed her with good stuff, this is your spot.Special Features:
- Takanami has to be my favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/2/2012Takanami has to be my favorite spot for lunch! The bento boxes are so filling and for a great price! I love the beef option but I recently tried the crab sandwich... Wow! My new favorite! It's a must try !!Special Features:
- Takanami's is clean & comfortable,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/24/2012Takanami's is clean & comfortable, with an attentive wait staff. They have an interesting & abundant cocktail menu. I recommend the miso soup, salmon entree, and the vegan maki roll. I will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Really enjoyed the sushi.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/11/2012Really enjoyed the sushi. Got to sit in the side front room with our large group - worked really well for our group to enjoy food and company.Special Features:
- Perfect and the service wasOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/6/2012Perfect and the service was perfect too! Thank you so much!!!!!
- I returned to Takanami becauseOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/21/2012I returned to Takanami because I'd had a good lunch there a month earlier. I ordered the same thing, the vegan sushi roll. This time the rice was mushy, and the sauce lacked flavor. An additional roll of sushi had the same pasty rice. When Takanami first opened, it was great. There were innovative vegetarian options that were appealing in their color, textures and flavors. Those dishes are no longer on the menu. In recent years, the quality of the food has declined. Although I'd given up on Takanami, a friend brought me there a month ago and I was pleasantly surprised. However, it seems that much depends on who is running the kitchen. Because this restaurant's performance is so uneven, I will not recommend it.
- Service was excellent as always,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/23/2011Service was excellent as always, my only little pout was that they were out of the ginger-infused wrap dessert that I love, and we tried the rice wrapped ice cream instead. It was interesting, but I wouldn't order it again. Our server also asked us if we wanted a second roll (which I did!), and also was very good about keeping the table free of used plates and our water glasses full. We sat next to the fish tank, which weirded me out just a little bit, there was a fish that funneled sand and rock through its mouth, and one with teeth. While these are fun and fascinating, I didn't necessarily like them being right next to my head as I tried to eat and talk with my friends.Special Features:
- Food and service were bothOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/26/2011Food and service were both excellent. We were seated promptly, our server was attentive and polite, and our drinks and food were delivered in a timely manner. Not my first time dining here, nor will it be my last.Special Features:
- Birthday treat!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/18/2011Takanami's sushi is always wonderful. Very fresh, imaginative, and gorgeous on the plate. Their entrees, especially the tortellini, melt in your mouth.Special Features:
- Takanami is a big hit forOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/12/2011Takanami is a big hit for my friends and I! We are always happy with our food and service! The staff greats us with warm welcomes! We love it here!Special Features:
- The food was delicious, wellOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/11/2011The food was delicious, well cooked, and beautifully plated. The service was efficient, attentive, and friendly. Our group really enjoyed the experience. Note that on a Friday evening, the place really picks up by 7:30 or 8pm, and is quite vibrant (also a bit noisy, but not too bad).Special Features:
- Excellent food and presentation,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/4/2011Excellent food and presentation, as always!!! Lots of new specialty menu items to choose from. Service was awesome! Always a great place to go for a night out with friends!
- The food was excellent andOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/4/2011The food was excellent and the service was great! A great place to enjoy dinner. I loved it!!!Special Features:
- Great evening -- the foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/13/2011Great evening -- the food was fantastic. We ordered sushi and Kobi Beef, and is was excellent. The service was great.Special Features:
- Our entire group loved theOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/28/2011Our entire group loved the excellent food and the service was great. We had a great time. My compliments to the CHEF!!!Special Features:
- We always enjoy Takanami.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/21/2011We always enjoy Takanami. The food was excellent. Great evening, great food, and the service was great.Special Features:
- Everything was great exceptOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/27/2011Everything was great except for the Cheesecake Springroll. The strawberry sauce was exceptionally watery. This is unusual. Normally it's amazing.
- Probably the best steak IOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/22/2011Probably the best steak I have ever had...It was definitely worth the expense
- The food was great, and theOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/21/2011The food was great, and the service was fantastic. The entire evening dinner was spectacular!!Special Features:
- Great Restaurant! The foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/20/2011Great Restaurant! The food was excellent and the service was great!!Special Features:
- A great spot for lovers ofOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 7/29/2011A great spot for lovers of sushi and those that are not. Attentive wait staff that made our evening very enjoyable, even when the sake bomb went off course.Special Features:
- It's always wonderful - foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/12/2011It's always wonderful - food is great, service is excellent.Special Features:
- We loved the food - it wasOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/18/2011We loved the food - it was delicious. I liked the glass of wine I had - an Argentinian pinot grigio. I did not rate it a 5 because I don't think it was over the top fabulous and the ambiance was nothing great. The desert menu was lacking - friend cheese cake - not classy! We were celebrating our wedding anniversary and it would have been friendly if they had asked it there was a special occasion and it they had acknowledged it. They did so at other fancy restaurants on all of our previous anniversary dinners. Oh, well- it's probably just part of that strange friendly Iowa experience.Special Features:
- Good sushi if a somewhat traditionaOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 5/13/2011Good sushi if a somewhat traditional menu variety. Good martinis. A little loud but fun atmosphere.
- Nice but hard to carry a conversatiOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/15/2011Nice but hard to carry a conversation due to noise level.Special Features:
- Thoroughly enjoyed the entireOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/8/2011Thoroughly enjoyed the entire experience. We were seated next to the fish tank which I loved. Food was great, everyone around us was having a good time. It got a little loud for my liking but not to the point that I would not come back.Special Features:
- I was seated very quicklyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/8/2011I was seated very quickly and greeted instantly. Service was great, we didn't have to ask for anything. Food was great and came out promptly even though the restaurant was fairly busy.Special Features:
- Business dinner for 5, niceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/7/2011Business dinner for 5, nice quiet place to talk with respectful service. Food was excellent, especially the braised cabbage garnish on the pork dish. Sushi was great. Wine was affordable. Presentation of all dishes was really outstanding. Good work Takanami!Special Features:
- Sushi SnobOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/9/2011Having lived in California and becoming somewhat of a sushi snob, Takanami delivers great food, at a reasonable price!Special Features:
- Server was friendly and veryOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/5/2011Server was friendly and very personable. Could not have asked for a better waiter.Special Features:
- Very nice evening, thanksOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/5/2011Very nice evening, thanks to the staff very enjoyable. Food was great.Special Features:
- We have been to Takanami aOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/23/2011We have been to Takanami a # of times - but not lately. The food was well-prepared, tremendous mingling of tastes and textures, and the service was attentive but not overbearing. Looking forward to our next visit there!Special Features: