Taj of India
2809 M Street, NW
Washington, DC 20007Neighborhood:
IndianPrice: $30 and under
Taj of India
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.tajofindia.com/
- Phone: (202) 965-4266
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm, Saturday & Sunday: 11:30am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact for more information.
- Private Party Contact: Shah Mia 202-262-1332
A word from Taj of India
Welcome to Taj of India, offering superb Indian cuisine. Experience our chef's special Dumpakht dishes: Chicken, Lamb, Seafood and Vegetarian!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Taj of India reviews from OpenTable diners
21 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (7)neighborhood gem (7)hot spot (4)great for lunch (4)late-night find (3)great for outdoor dining (3)romantic (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Just what we were looking forSaraDined on 11/18/2014My husband and I were in DC for a conference and we wanted to eat good Indian food. The Taj of India was perfect. It is a cozy restaurant in Georgetown, wait staff were very friendly, and the menu had lots of choices. Our food was excellent. We will definitely return on our next trip to DC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Taj of IndiaOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/4/2014Great Location, Good Food, Rice was authentic. Tables were very close together and tight...a bit uncomfortable to walk around without disturbing other diners or be disturbed during meal.Special Features:
- An Acceptable Meal at Taj of IndiaRichDined on 10/20/2014Our lunch at Taj of India was perfectly fine but not exceptional in any way. The restaurant is roomy and quiet -- a very good place for a conversation. I may return to try one of their more complex dishes, but the vegetarian platter was not particularly inspiring.
- good food and price, service so soOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014when we arrived they seemed not to have any reservation (and the ours also went lost), anyway we waited 15 minutes and then we were seated (and the restaurant was really full). There were a lot of choices in the menu, and the food was good, but just a couple of choices for the beers. The price was reasonable. The service was lower than the food, anyway not bad.Special Features:
- Georgetown Indian GembrownieoneVIPDined on 10/4/2014At lunch here on a Saturday and we had three delicious entrees. Chicken Tikki Marsala was lights out for my wife and I split the Tandoori Mixed Grill with my eight year old son. Normally a picky eater, he liked both chickens in the "grill" and the steak kabob. There was only one shrimp and that was all mine. My daughter also enjoyed her meal. We also have two of the naan breads...regular and garlic. Service was very attentive and we'll return. Thanks!Special Features:
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/26/2014It was clear the manager wanted the food out quickly. It took a while to get the food but was absolutely delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not BadDissatisfiedDined on 9/6/2014The food was pretty good. I had a higher expectation of spiciness but it was great. My wife and I enjoyed the lamb. The bathroom floor was a little disgusting as if the toilet over flooded.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced, mediocre foodEPendleDined on 8/27/2014Our server barely had a pulse, and was not helpful at all when I asked him for suggestions. My vegetable curry cost $12 and contained carrots, peas, celery, and a few pieces of yellow squash. I won't be returning any time soon.
- Good Indian FoodTrevbowVIPDined on 8/22/2014Nice spices and flavours but the chicken madras should have been a bit more tender. Service was attentive and just right. Have been here before and will come again.Special Features:
- The following 157 reviews are from the Taj of India reviews archive.
- Good food friendly serviceDhruvVIPDined on 7/22/2014Always love going here. Food is consistent and servers are friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Indian food in DCOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/21/2014I love this restaurant. Every time I go I leave full and happy. The service is great , always quick and friendly. The food is phenomenal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ArmavirumquecanoDined on 7/7/2014Outstanding, unobtrusive service. Great location. Excellent food. Nice ambience. I'd definitely go back again.Special Features:
- reviewOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/27/2014Food was great. Our lunch was a little slow in coming. Would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tomsDined on 6/6/2014had dinner on a friday night when other reservations were hard to get. Not sure why that was not the cae here. The food was some of the best we have had anywhere!! Service was quick and attentive and the place was reasonably busy but did not seem overly crowded. There are about 1/2 dozen outdoor tables, but all were full whenjh we got there. Woudl have been nice to sit out there!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional service and foodChicagoTravelerDined on 5/17/2014If you like a large Indian menu and really good service I would highly recommend Taj of India. My water glass was never empty. The food came timely, we were checked on consistently and everyone was friendly. They had both big and small tables going but everyone was promptly responded to when they needed something. More importantly the food was very good and there was a diverse wine list. We ate at 5 different places over 3 days while attending a Georgetown graduation and Taj was by far our favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Avoid this restaurant!JBKROOSTERDined on 4/20/2014This restaurant has a good location and a large menu. Unfortunately it has very poor service. The waiters are few and very inattentive, bordering on rude. They were very slow and an ordinary dinner went painfully slowly. The tables were dirty and were dressed with paper tablecloths. Horrid ambience. There are good restaurants in the immediate neighborhood. Try them and avoid the Taj!
- good food, slow servicefoodfanDined on 3/29/2014We arrived at 7:00. They took our order after 7:30. We ordered appetizers and then our entrée did not come until close to 8:30. We were a group that had much to talk about and so didn't mind the long evening so much. But if I was just there to eat I would have been very aggravated. I have to say that each time I flagged down a waiter, needed an extra spoon, asked for the check, etc. they responded promptly. The staff was pleasant.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The waiter who greeted meboston1VIPDined on 3/10/2014The waiter who greeted me at the door didn't understand English and could not make himself understood. The restaurant was empty yet I was seated next to a table of 4. As new people came in , we were all grouped so closely, people were joining each others conversations. The presentation of the food was not appetizing at all and the flavor of the biryani left quite a bit to be desired. I would recommend people walk a couple of blocks to Rasika West End and wait a few minutes for a table if they want Indian food. Skip this place
- The best in a while!Ridge123VIPDined on 3/8/2014I have been to Taj several times and this was the best experience yet! The food was phenomenal as well as the service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent lamb. We had a greatDanke13Dined on 3/5/2014Excellent lamb. We had a great time and it was a really good find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food ,fair pricesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/23/2014This is one of the best Indian restaurants I have tried in DC. The food selection is good and the portions are generous for their prices. The staff is friendly and willing to accommodate customers requests. Also the selection of dishes provides a fair selection of the most famous Indian recipesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always delicious food in aCMW1Dined on 1/22/2014always delicious food in a very pleasant environment. Quiet so conversation is possible--thank you!Special Features:
- Great food, great service.Foodie427Dined on 12/27/2013Had family in from Boston & they were craving Indian so I found this place. It was my first time there. Food was delicious, prices were reasonable. Everyone enjoyed their meals & I'd definitely be coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 12/14/2013Everything we ordered was fresh, moist and delicious. Cannot wait to go back.Special Features:
- Taj Of IndianotowlesDined on 12/6/2013I really enjoyed my dining experience at Taj. The staff was very attentive and friendly, the food was excellent, and was reasonably priced. I definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for good Indian food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second time as good as firstVeroniqueVIPDined on 11/15/2013Sometimes one regrets returning to a restaurant that was fantastic the first time. Taj of India may have been even better this time. Everything was delicious. A high recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our Wonderful TajnickDined on 11/11/2013My boyfriend and I have probably been here dozens of times, and are never, ever disappointed. The food comes out fast, hot and delicious 100% of the time. The service is always outstanding, before during and after our meals. We love our favorite dishes, are always awed by the reasonable prices and relaxed by the quiet, peaceful and authentic atmosphere. Taj of India is fast becoming our go-to restaurant because of it's top service, excellent food and local feel. I've also gotten it to-go! We will be coming here ourselves, and recommending it to others, as long as it lights up Georgetown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- How do they stay in business?Taff1963Dined on 9/28/2013Went to the Taj last Saturday night - big mistake. I had not had a good Indian meal in a long time so was looking forward to this meal with my wife. The food was very Americanized - ketchupy masala sauce for example, but what really put us off was the indifferent and inconsistent service - very arrogant!! There are just too many good alternatives in a 5 block range in any direction!
- Great placeWashingtonBdayDined on 9/21/2013This place had fantastic food. Both a combination of traditional Indian food and more Americanized Indian food. Great atmosphere and VERY affordable. We got an appetizer, two servings of Naan (cheese and garlic), saag paneer, and butter chicken for about $45. This fed two people to the brim and there was enough for left overs for one for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food Variable ServicePhilDined on 9/17/2013Overall, not a bad experience but I must admit hard to understand the waiter. Either he could not understand English or he could not speak so we could understand him. We went here on short notice because Rasika had no openings until 9:45. They were polite but we tried to have a rice dish without raisins and walnuts and it took almost 10 minutes for him to understand what we were asking. We also then wanted the main dish without the rice but he could not understand that. We asked for Naan well done. Busboy looked at us like a deer in headlights. Basically could not speak English. Manager had to come over to understand the request. Just made the entire dinner tedious. Overall, food pretty good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The quality of the flavorsBdalexDined on 9/14/2013The quality of the flavors was outstanding, and the food on the whole was very good. The service was nice and helpful, but it was so busy it was hard to get someone's attention unless they were on top of you. We had the chicken madras, chicken makahni, and the sagg paneer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Taste!JBurellaVIPDined on 9/7/2013I've had yummy Indian food, but there was something special about this place. I recommend the Peshawar Naan and anything with a tomato sauce! Beautiful and tasty!Special Features:
- Good for Indian standardsNikkiDined on 9/1/2013Food wasn't as good as I had hoped when I read the reviews, but as an Indian my expectations are pretty high. The saag paneer was good, daal makhani was a little undercooked. The kheer was like glue but the ras malai was on point.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasteful and pleasantmalofroVIPDined on 8/24/2013Nice attentive service and your classic Indian fare. The food was all well prepared and very flavorful.I would recommend this to a friend.
- WelcomingTrishDined on 8/22/2013My family and I were visiting DC and wanted Indian food. Taj was the top rated Indian restaurant in Georgetown so we tried it. We were running late and they called to see if we were still coming. When we got there, tired and hot, the maitre d' was waiting outside and was so warm and welcoming. My husband and I have four young boys and the waiter could not have been nicer, making a special dal dish for the kids and giving them extra drinks at no charge. The food was delicious and very affordable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Taj of India is the BOMBaiJDuBzDined on 7/27/2013For my first time experiencing Indian food, I can't say enough good things about Taj of India. The service was incredible without being overbearing. The ambiance was what one would expect of an indian restaurant. We had a very helpful server who helped both me and my friend choose a dish that would suit us without having any prior experience with Indian cuisine. Though I may not have a ton of experience with Indian food, I can say that the Lamb Vindaloo was incredible and not too spicy. The Naan was wonderful as well in both the regular and garlic varieties. I expect the best in Georgetown. This restaurant fits the bill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and knowledgeable stafffoodloverDined on 7/23/2013I went with people who love Indian food and are quite picky about a good Indian restaurant so I was mildly nervous having never been myself. Everyone in the party loved it. The atmosphere was perfect and our table was right by the huge glass window that brightens up the space so we had a great view of the outside as well. The service slightly slow, but I think it was intentional to allow us to enjoy our meal and not feel rushed. The food was hot and came out all at the same time. It was an overall perfect evening. Well worth the drive to Georgetown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd time here and plan toCMMYAKMANDined on 7/20/20132nd time here and plan to go back yet again. It's located across the street from the Four Seasons Hotel. The prices on both food and wine are less than comparable Indian restaurants in the DC area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good Indian RestaurantCMMYAKMANDined on 6/15/2013The food and location are terrific. We will be back.Special Features:
- This was my second time diningOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/9/2013This was my second time dining at Taj of India. The food was delicious and the atmosphere was very enjoyable. The staff is very eager and provided excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.