Taj - New York
48 W. 21st Street
New York, NY 10010Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
French / IndianPrice: $31 to $50
Taj - New York
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.tajlounge.com/
- Phone: (212) 620-3033
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Wednesday: 5:30pm - 1:00am Thursday Friday Saturday: lounge open from 5:30pm - 4:00am New Sunday Brunch: 12:00pm-7:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French / Indian, Indian
- Executive Chef: Ewin Riverra
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Taj's Private Mezzanine complete with a VIP bar is the perfect place to host a private dinner or cocktail party. Please contact the restaurant for further assistence.
- Private Party Contact: Delores Hoskins Auguet 2126203033x118
- Entertainment: DJ
- Special Events: Our venue is the location of choice for special events of all types, including: Bar and Bat Mitzvahs, film shoots, movie premiers, album releases, weddings, wedding receptions, corporate holiday parties, luncheons, birthday functions and more.
A word from Taj - New York
Consulting chef Jonathan Lindenauer’s (Jean Georges) grand plan is perfectly executed by exec chef Edwin Riverra. The kitchen has created a changing menu of upscale French and New American dishes with Indian touches. A cool fusion of modern banquets and wood accents provide a setting for sipping Rose Martini’s or a refreshing Budina. The perfect location to mix the cosmopolitan cool of New York with the meditative calm of the Far East.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Taj - New York reviews from OpenTable diners
2 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
hot spot (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/11/2014Taj is always a great place for Monday night Salsa!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 69 reviews are from the Taj - New York reviews archive.
- Old School FunCharlecotemanDined on 7/18/2014The clientele was friendly and forward. If you can remember back in the day when you put on your party best and wanted to have fun drinking and dancing to the 80's 90's and some now music you will have fun with the uptown older crowd. I had the calamari and it was fresh and fried to perfection. The drinks were two for one but they didn't have my brand handy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Afterwork TrendyYolandaDined on 7/17/2014Nice place to go after work with diverse crowd. Food selection is limited but good. Only complaint is I made reservations and everyone that stopped by and ordered from the waitress their items where added to my bill. Needless to say by the end of the night I was stuck paying the large tab and hunting down drunk friends...UGHhh Going back but paying as I order!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow, Dinner and Dancing!VivSueVIPDined on 8/19/2013Great food (the fish was perfect) and great music (with free dance lesson) made for a great Monday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't forget your ID evenOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/17/2013Don't forget your ID even if your coming for dinner! There is a good atmosphere low couches with coffee tables and a beautiful bar and banquet seating options. DJ was excellent, spinning great music which just kept getting louder and louder as the 2 for 1 Happy Hour wrapped up at 7. Things begin to pick up after 8. Dinner was surprisingly very good- flavorful and nicely presented. Service was very attentive. Would recommend for a night out!Special Features:
- we were there very early whyOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/23/2013we were there very early why there was little ambiance and no noise
- Worst place ever! This isOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/22/2013Worst place ever! This is not a restaurant. Came here on a Friday night and there was an after work party set, spent $300 and was asked to leave the place and go wait outside as another party was about to start. Food was awful and service was horrible. Are you kidding me?
- Fun Night at TajNYCGalDined on 12/1/2012Des the server was fabulous. The food was tasty. Sometimes the noise is bit much before the nightclub scene arrives. Will definitely recommend, & return again.Special Features:
- Service was great, I thinkNYCGalDined on 11/10/2012Service was great, I think Britney was her name. The food was exceptional. The music was a bit loud for dinner.Special Features:
- i would rather eat a glass than..OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/14/2012Run. Don't walk. Avoid. Stay away. Worst ever.
- I went to this restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/1/2012I went to this restaurant for my birthday, the food and waiter was very good. The night I went it seemed like there was a party going on; which was good because it was my birthday and I wanted to have fun. However, If I was having a romantic dinner, this would not be the best place to go. Overall it was a great experience and I would go back!Special Features:
- AwesomenessYolandaDined on 7/26/2012Had dinner with a friend and what a surprise to enter to a packed house and live DJ. The food was great as was the service for a large crowd. I had a good time and would go back againSpecial Features:
- We went on Monday for theOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/16/2012We went on Monday for the salsa. The music and the dancing is good but much too loud.Special Features:
- Did not expect it to be aorangutancutieVIPDined on 3/10/2012Did not expect it to be a restaurant/nightclub scene. The food was decent, although not inventive flavor profile-wise. They had pseudo-cabanas to each under which would be good for groups.Special Features:
- Overall I really enjoy thisOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/23/2011Overall I really enjoy this restaurant! I've been here on a few occasions with groups, dates, and on the weekend for their late night parties. I've always had good service and great drinks! I am a pescatarian so the menu is a little limited for me, but my friends all enjoy what the menu has to offer. Oh, I LOVE their party brunch and salsa monday!Special Features:
- Not at all what I expectedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/16/2011Not at all what I expected based on the website or description. Very small menu with very limited choices. However, what there was certainly tasted fine.
- Although this appears to bekmumfordnyDined on 11/7/2011Although this appears to be much more of a samba club, the food was suprisingly good. So grab a bite and learn the dance that will burn off all those calories.Special Features:
- Good birthday spotOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/24/2011I came here with my girlfriends for my birthday. The food was delicious and exciting, the cocktails were to die for, and the ambiance was perfect. However, the service was inconsistent. For example, the waiter was fun yet unattentive and the hostess/ manager was extremely attentive. If you are looking for a place with dim lighting, dark plush walls, and comfy booth seating definitely give this place a try. The DJ will keep you dancing in your seat.Special Features:
- COZY AND ROMANTICOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/24/2011the food, music , service was great .I went with my boyfriend to celebrate our 1st anniversary and was the best pick. Romantic ... I love it definitely I'll come back. just consider that we went there on a weekday.Special Features:
- Food was not very good--averageOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/21/2011Food was not very good--average bar food and we were expecting better. Service was uneven.
- We showed up at 7:00 for food.OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/20/2011We showed up at 7:00 for food. Close to morgue like. Seems to be more of an after midnight spot.Special Features:
- The food was pretty good,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/26/2011The food was pretty good, but two things to know...it is more of a club-like atmosphere (had a special event the night we were there, so don't know what a normal crowd is like), and it is not Indian per se, more of Indian - Asian fusion. A small menu, tasted pretty good, but if you are looking for a broad Indian selection, this is not the place.
- I went for the Prince tributeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/25/2011I went for the Prince tribute (I love you Prince) didn't expect food to be anything special....but it was great. Service was outstanding & prices were great too. I shall be returning.Special Features:
- Not impressed with Taj. WeOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/19/2010Not impressed with Taj. We entered and was not even greeted properly by the hostess. She was on the phone and had us standing there for 5 minutes while she finished her phone call. Finally she finished her call and than sat us. The door was opened and it was so cold. The place was filled with people drinking while there was a loud band playing. We were told we only had an hour and half to sit at our table as they needed the table for bottle service for later. Overall, not impressed with Taj.
- A Casual Dinner & Drinks EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/11/2010A Casual Dinner & Drinks Evening turned out to be a Social with Salsa Friends Meet-up and Plans for a Future Events at !!!Special Features:
- We went on Monday night especiallyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/3/2010We went on Monday night especially for their salsa event, which did not disappoint. The free lesson was very helpful and served as a warm-up. There was even a live band at 9. The floor was packed with lots of good dancers, male and female. If you love salsa, this is the place to be on Mondays!Special Features:
- This is a club pretendingOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/25/2010This is a club pretending to be a restaurant , with rude service, mandatory coat check for $2.00, give wait staff a credit card to order.... I walked out and would worn anyone looking for a meal not to go to this spot.
- Taj is a lounge/club and theJannVIPDined on 3/13/2010Taj is a lounge/club and the atmosphere is very cool with a high ceiling, eastern temple decor. We went at 7:30 and there were only two other tables occupied so it was very quiet. I imagine it can be loud when it is filled with people. The food was surprisingly good. We had the oven roasted tuna(rare) and the hanger steak(med rare), both very tasty and well prepared accompanied by potatoes & vegtables.
- Very limited menu choices,RandySVIPDined on 3/11/2010Very limited menu choices, but the food was good - not great.Special Features:
- Loved the space and the waitOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/14/2010Loved the space and the wait staff was wonderful. But the food was average -- the second course was cold upon arrival, the vegetables in the curry entree were cooked to mush, the crab was tasteless. Perhaps it was just because it was Valentine's Day and the prix fixe options were blander than their usual fare...
- First, I would like to pointOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/14/2010First, I would like to point out that I reserved a table for Valentine's Day, well in advance. Then I get at least 3 phone calls from the restaurant to confirm that I was going, which pretty much ruined my surprise to my wife. Upon arriving, the host tells the person seating us to put us in an available cabana section, which I reserved. She proceeds to seat us at a table, then I ask if we can be placed in a cabana, 2 of which were available and unoccupied, and again, which I reserved. She goes to the host and comes back and places us in the cabana. The waitress was forgetful. Place wasn't even crowded, very few people. Overrated, automatic 20% gratuity.
- I went to Taj with my boyfriendOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 2/12/2010I went to Taj with my boyfriend for dinner on a Friday night at 6:00pm. The place was virtually empty, but it was still difficult to talk because the music was so loud. We ordered the crab cake appetizer and the chicken and salmon entrees. The food was quite good. The preparation of the chicken in particular was unusually interesting. Still, I won't be back for dinner because of the music.Special Features:
- Nice place but some weirdOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/29/2010Nice place but some weird characters walking around am imlesslySpecial Features:
- hostess was very nice... foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/23/2010hostess was very nice... food was good, expensive though. Would go again.
- Having an underground hipOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 1/12/2010Having an underground hip hop show is no excuse to lower the standards of restaurant service!! There was an underground hip hop night going on, and the noise was extremely loud, and if the maitre'd would have read my note that I sent her/him, they could have figured that since I had mentioned that it was a 30th birthday, and there were 2 people, that we might want to have been notified to see about how private and "romantic" it could have been. The ambiance was VERY poorly lit, and what appeared to be the Manager of the club, did not even take any notice of his customers. For such hefty price, I was expecting much better, and the webite pics are VERY OVERHYPED! TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT! I will make sure I let all my friends know.!!!
- When we walked in we all realizedOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/14/2009When we walked in we all realized that it was more of a Club than a restaurant so we were all worried about the quality of food that could be produced there. All of us were surprisingly happy with our dishes though. The mushroom flatbread appetizer was VERY good and unique. The Chickpea fries were also a stand out. Overall it was a good meal but the environment isn't ideal for a dinner.
- AS USUAL, I HAD A GREAT TIME.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/27/2009AS USUAL, I HAD A GREAT TIME. I WANT TO THANK PATRICIA & JAQUELINE THEIR SERVICE WAS GREAT.Special Features:
- Taj was a super dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/7/2009Taj was a super dining experience that we enjoyed. We enjoyed the shating plates as we all ordered differnt dishes and sampled each others. The restaurant appears to be more of a lounge or bar and was relatively quiet during the dinner service, nonetheless we enjoyed the food and the ambiance.Special Features:
- This is definitely more "club"OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/25/2009This is definitely more "club" than "lounge". Keep that in mind if you're looking for an intimate place to celebrate a special occasion, because Taj is not it. The music was okay. However, place was a little crowded for my taste.Special Features:
- Disappointing The restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/22/2009Disappointing The restaurant is apparently transformed every Monday into a Samba club We had drinks and left Since it seems to happen every Monday you may want to post the information