Taj Mahal Homestyle Indian and Pakistani Cuisine
150 North 8th Street
Boise, ID 83702Neighborhood:
IndianPrice: $30 and under
Taj Mahal Homestyle Indian and Pakistani Cuisine
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.tajmahalofboise.com/
- Phone: (208) 473-7200
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch:Monday - Friday:11:30 am to 2:30 pm,
Saturday: 11:30:00AM - 2:00PM
Dinner: Monday - Tuesday: 5:00 pm to 10:00 pm,
Dinner:Wednesday - Saturday:5:00 pm to 10:00 pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian / Vegan, Indian
- Executive Chef: Farha Ishaq
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Happy Hour, High Tea, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We are so excited and honored to be a part of your spectacular celebration.
You’ve got enough to worry about, so rather than add to your stress we’d like to alleviate it by working with you to make sure that all the bases are covered. We are committed to using the freshest ingredients and distinctive custom spice blends for your entree’s. Your order will be delivered on time, and served hot and fresh by our professional and friendly staff.
- Private Party Facilities: Feel free to schedule your next event in our banquet room that can be adjusted to fit your needs. Family style dining, a 50 inch flat screen television and polite staff at your disposal.
- Private Party Contact: Danish Ishaq 2088419209x
- Entertainment: Sitar player and belly dancer periodically and available for your banquet rental needs.
- Cross Street: Idaho
- Public Transit: 8th and Idaho Bus Stop
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Park in the Capitol Terrace garage and walk in through the double doors on the second story, and get your first hour free. If you"re coming in after 6pm, downtown public street parking is free.
A word from Taj Mahal Homestyle Indian and Pakistani Cuisine
Family style, made from scratch Indian and Pakistani cuisine. The Best in Boise and the Northwest. Everything is prepared by one chef. You can expect an extensive beer selection with micro-brews, IPA"s, Porters, and international favorite. Over 40 to choose from at any given day. You can expect food made from scratch to your liking, and entree's you won't find anywhere else. Expect spices to be cooked right when you order them, an extensive Vegan and Vegetarian selection. Expect a good time at an amazing location in the heart of Downtown Boise with an owner operated business. We have a lunch buffet everyday that allows for a quick lunch. If you're coming in for dinner, we hope you're not in a rush, our beers and wines are here for you to relax because the cost of home-style food is a bit longer wait time. The freshness and flavors of our dinner are meant to be savored and explored. We look forward to your visit!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Taj Mahal Homestyle Indian and Pakistani Cuisine reviews from OpenTable diners
4 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (3)fit for foodies (3)great for outdoor dining (2)neighborhood gem (2)romantic (2)great for brunch (1)good for groups (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Dining with a backdrop of BollywoodbirdwomanDined on 10/25/2014As far as I am concerned the only way to enjoy food is to share with the whole group. The five of us all agreed how amazing each of the vegetarian dishes were different in the nuanced spicing and texture. Whether a dal or curry dish they were fresh, distinct and just yum. Only drawback was being seated in front of the big screen with the continuing Bollywood musical clips in the background. For 1 1/2 hours I swear it was the same voice even though it was different females appearing throughout.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Indian foodDoggoDined on 9/20/2014Taj Mahal offers far and away the best Indian food in the Boise area. It's a bit pricier than the other Indian restaurants here, but well worth it for the range and quality of the food--also worth the wait time as they prepare everything to order--the pleasant atmosphere, and the attentive service, even a personal visit from the owner. Large portions, by the way; we took quite a bit home with us. We'll be back. Many times.Special Features:
- A whole new wonderful worldrj208Dined on 8/25/2014The experience was wonderful; excellent food, perfectly salted lassi and decor that felt like you weren't in Boise anymore! I really recommend the okra...I typically am not an okra fan but this was by far one of the tastiest things I've tried in years. The beer selection was one of the biggest I have seen in Boise and full of unique, worldly choices. The food took a while to prepare but then again being from the Middle East I understand how long it takes to prepare this style of food and wouldn't trust a cook who rushed through my dish. I really enjoyed their samosas as well, just the right amount of spice. My fiance loved his briyani as well. I highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:
- The following 67 reviews are from the Taj Mahal Homestyle Indian and Pakistani Cuisine reviews archive.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/13/2014My husband ordered a dish made with goat and it was full of bones. My shrimp dish was dry.
- Great Indian restaurant!SueMVIPDined on 5/7/2014I haven't had much experience with Indian food but this was by far the best Indian I have had. I loved that we could select the heat level and everything was very fresh and made to order. So good.Special Features:
- Great Indian food, great peopleOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/21/2014We get wonderful food here, we also get the warm greeting and great humor of the owner. A special place right up the escalator off 8th Street.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Great ServiceAlphiesMaDined on 4/19/2014I read plenty of reviews regarding the long wait and came prepared. At the top of the menu it fairly warns they cook your full dish from scratch so it takes longer; frankly it was worth sitting for two hours start to finish. Anyone upset at that fact clearly hadn't read the menu or had somewhere to be; you're not going through a drive-thru or a big chain restaurant. The owner sat us down himself and played with our two year old-even gave him free dessert. It says quite a bit to me that he hardly got restless the whole time because we were well taken care of. While my dish was spicier than described in the menu, everything we ordered was delicious (tandoori seekh kabob, coconut lamb curry, and kheema, garlic and coconut naan). Will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Taj Mahal needs better waitstaffHaldolDined on 3/17/2014There were only 2 others in the restaurant when my friends and I were seated. 15 minutes later, still no waitress. Finally ordered appetizer tray.Appetizer arrived, extremely overcooked, Asked waitress for plates and some chutneys, etc.. 10 minutes later, still no plates. Asked again. Another 5 minutes, nothing. I personally went to the buffet area and got the plates. Waitress was standing there texting. Told her I was not pleased at all. Only response, "sorry". If I didn't have guests, I would have left immediately without paying. She returned to ask about entree orders. Really wasn't too helpful in explaining anything. We guessed, and the food that did arrive was quite tasty. Not the heat level we ordered. Got mild wanted HOT,
- Local Treasure With Wonderful FoodPatrickAMinneapolisVIPDined on 3/12/2014On the recommendations of some locals, we went to Taj Majal in Boise and were very glad that we did. The host and wait-staff were wonderful, kind, and helpful. The food they recommended was impeccable, and the entire dinner was delicious. My local friends were delighted to hear that I shared their enthusiasm for Taj Majal, and we will all be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Good TimeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/8/2014This is a great little restaurant. The owner is a funny and friendly guy, the food is fantastic, and the ambience of the restaurant is pleasant and authentic. My only minor complaint is the service was a tad slow when it came to filling our water glasses but this was a minor issue. Overall, I'd highly recommend this restaurant and if you like ethnic food you can't go wrong with the Taj Mahal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- taj experiencecraigDined on 2/22/2014my cousin and I and our dates had a great time, a couple of us had never had Indian, it was great for a first time try and our service was good, would go again or recommend for anyone.Special Features:
- Love it!AmySVIPDined on 1/18/2014The food is amazing. You can combine flavors that suit your palate and everything is authentic. The owners are so very charming and very engaged with their diners. Fantastic place! Great location. Close proximity to other downtown venues. Have dined here many times and will keep going!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food AND serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/3/2014This was my first visit to this restaurant and it was a very pleasant experience. The food was fantastic and the owner was very kind, friendly, and accommodating. I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone.Special Features:
- The service was extremelyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/31/2013The service was extremely slow it took around an hour to get our food. The food was decent, but not worth the wait.
- Amazing FoodLeslieDined on 12/31/2013The food at this restaurant exceeded our expectations. We have always walked by it and wanted to try it and now we are kicking ourselves for not going there earlier. The dishes we ordered were delicious. We will be back again very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The owner just took such goodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/13/2013The owner just took such good care of us. We felt special and all the kids (17-18 y.o.) all enjoyed the atmosphere and the food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelighteddelightedDined on 12/6/2013I couldn't wait to get back to try something new. Our Samosas were perfectly done. Truly beautiful and delicious. The sauces were enjoyable too. I don't remember the name of our main dish but it was really good. The dishes of the other guests looked and smelled fantastic!Special Features:
- Wished for moreJaredRVIPDined on 12/6/2013As this was our first Indian restaurant in Boise we had high expectations. We booked at the Taj Mahal because they were offering 1000 Open Table points. Upon arrival the restaurant was empty except for one table. They sat us right next to the TV which was loud due to the fact that the one table in the restaurant was watching it. We asked to be moved which they accommodated, however, the TV was loud in general and distracting The food was OK. The Tikka Masala was bland and spice less. I'm accustom to it being spicy but it wasn't even mild it was bland. Not sure we'll try this place out again unless I hear things have changed.
- Very Good Food!!AjeethDined on 10/16/2013Food was really tasty and the ambiance was good...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Waiting and waitingBdaygirlDined on 10/14/2013Visited for the first time on 10-14-13 for my birthday dinner. We a party of 6. There were only a few other guests in the restaurant. The waitress was horrible. Since nobody had ever been there we had some questions about the food and she wasnt the least bit interested in answering them. The online menu prices are completely different the the menus we were given. The menus we were given were a $4-$5 price increase than online. No joke it took 1 1/2 hours to get our food! After about 45 minutes of waiting we started asking what was taking so long. Our waitress just kept saying it was coming. FINALLY our food came and only then did the owner came over and explained they had alot of to-go orders. That's all of an apology we were given.
- My new Boise favoritekapehornDined on 8/31/2013Boise has a lot of nice restaurants to pick from, but Taj Mahal is hands-down the best place for Indian food. Dishes are so rich and flavorful, and their naan is perhaps the best I've ever eaten. Wonderful service and atmosphere. Very clean and the décor is lovely. I can't wait to go back and try some more dishes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better food in the Mumbai slumsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/23/2013We love Indian food, have had it many times around the world. We were really looking forward to a good ethnic meal. This wasn't it. Astoundingly bad service for starters. The kid was green, knew nothing of the food and absolutely nothing of service. We never saw him after the food was off-loaded. After we tasted it, we knew why. With an Open Table reservation we were given a table at the entrance immediately next to the break table for staff. Staff doing e-mail, talking, reading-doing everthing but actually providing service which was largely non-existent. Food was marginal, greasy, tasteless, deep fried everything. Stunningly bad overall. Avoid this place-there is a sense of "we've been here forever and this is what people want." W
- Just a great place for indianOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/23/2013Just a great place for indian and pakistani food. People are great and it is a family owned and operated business. A little gem to support.Special Features:
- Delicious, 100% fresh madeOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/15/2013Delicious, 100% fresh made to order, authentic Indian food. This resturamt is not for you if you are in a hurry. Everything is made from scratch and prepared only after you order it. Make an evening out of it and enjoy!Special Features:
- Best Indian food in town!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/15/2013Best Indian food in town! Go now before they sell the business.Special Features:
- Food outstanding, patience requiredOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2013Expect to wait longer than usual for your food. Its best if you show up with a lot to talk about with your dining partners. If you have the patience to wait for your meal then you'll be rewarded with excellent food.
- This restaurant is a disaster.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2013This restaurant is a disaster. It is not able to handle the customers, and the food is okay, but not great Indian food. The service was poor. They bragged about each meal being specially prepared, but it took way too long and was not very good.
- Newbie to Indian foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/18/2013Great favor. Just the right amount of spices. Outstanding beer selectionSpecial Features:
- You'll be back!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/7/2012Have enjoyed eating out here. Service is excellent and the atmosphere is friendly and warm. If you like Indian curry, you won't be dIsappointed . A family of three can eat well and have a few good drinks for $90. High on my list of favorite dining.Special Features:
- I love this place but don'tLbrodenDined on 11/24/2012I love this place but don't expect to get in & out quickly. Normal dinning experiences takes from 2-1/2 to 3 hrs as all food is made from scratch.Special Features:
- The food was escellent! TheOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/9/2012The food was escellent! The choice of beers was excellent and unusual for an Indian restaurant. Good for you!(and me I love the fact that you make everything form cratch but it did take a long time for the enttrees to come out.Special Features:
- Although the service was aLbrodenDined on 11/9/2012Although the service was a little slow because the place got incredibly busy by 6:00 p.m., the food was excellent. Don't go in and expect to get out within an hour as we were there a few minutes early for a 5:30 p.m. reservation & still didn't get out until after 7 p.m. The owner was very nice & all the staff were accommodating.Special Features:
- We always have a good timeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/2/2012We always have a good time & the food is always amazing. We appreciate the the owners & that they remember thier customers.Special Features:
- Excellent, homestyle Indian/PakistaOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/27/2012Excellent, homestyle Indian/Pakistani food and a very complete selection of beers.Special Features:
- Fantastic as always. We areOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/5/2012Fantastic as always. We are long time fans. The food is exactly how it should be...hats off to the incredible chef! Outstanding beer selection too.Special Features:
- Most excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/1/2012This was my third dining experience at the Taj Mahal, and will keep returning. Service like we use to know it. Quiet gestures, no pressure sales, appreciative staff. Aware of those around them and respect between each other. The food is the best Indian food in town. I have shared my dining expereince with friends from out of town and 2 birthday occaasions. The ambiance is limited to very good as I have excellent hearing, the music is upbeat and a just a bit loud for my taste, however no one else in any of my 3 parties mentioned it. They all enjoyed the experience and stated that they too would have to remember the place.Special Features:
- Best Indian cuisine in Boise!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/2012Great experience, food was cooked just like Grandma makes it. Definitely the best Indian food in Boise! The owner served us and was very friendly and helpful. This is not like your mainstream Indian restaurants. It is genuine Indian food. Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- My colleagues and I were onpsinDined on 8/3/2012My colleagues and I were on a business trip and found this place through reviews on Open Table. We were delighted to end our trip at this wonderful restaurant. It is owned by a husband (who services tables) and wife (who is the chef) pair. The food was authentic. I am Indian and was impressed by the deep layers of flavors each dish we ordered had. I was sad to hear that they are looking to retire and sell this gem, but will visit again during future trips.Special Features:
- It was my daughter's birthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/1/2012It was my daughter's birthday and she loves India Food and wanted to try Taj Mahal. We loved it. Homestyle cooking from scratch and a beautiful husband and wife team. The service was amazing and the food was exceptional. There was four of us and we tried a variety of dishes and all were great. And they catered to our request for a dairy free experience.Special Features:
- It was about an hour fromOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/8/2012It was about an hour from the time we were seated til when we were served our food but it was well worth the wait.