560 Waverley St
Palo Alto, CA 94301Neighborhood:
ChinesePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.taipanpaloalto.com/
- Phone: 6503299168
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Asian, Chinese
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have a private dining room that can accommodate 14 - 40 people.
- Private Party Contact: Christopher Chan 6503299168
A word from Tai Pan
In Chinese culture, a Tai-Pan is an individual who shines above all in their field. At Tai-Pan, we believe in the constant pursuit of culinary excellence. From our menu, celebrating Hong Kong-style Cantonese cuisine, to the fine ingredients we use, to our thoughtful preparation and presentation, we strive to deliver an experience befitting a Tai-Pan – one that shines above all else.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerChinese
Tai Pan - Best Restaurants in Palo Alto ›
Tai Pan reviews from OpenTable diners
40 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (18)fit for foodies (15)great for lunch (15)neighborhood gem (15)special occasion (11)great for brunch (9)kid-friendly (6)romantic (3)notable wine list (2)hot spot (1)scenic view (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Finest Chinese foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/18/2014Every aspect of this restaurant is first class. The ambiance, food and service. Elegant setting for lunch, dinner or dim sun and private room for special events. We have dining there for years and the quality remains consistent.Special Features:
- Excellent!!JuneDined on 9/15/2014It was a wonderful experience. The staff were friendly and helpful in ordering. the service and food were wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will go again!xingyaDined on 9/14/2014Food was really good. Best Peking duck I ever have. Taro snow ball was good too. Shrimp dumpling was just ok. I guess because I went when the restaurant open and get dim sum by ordering instead of picking from the carts like other dim sum stores, I was be able to get fresh and hot dim sum. Which was really good and more relexing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- major fail on $10 xiao long baoEdoErgoSumVIPDined on 9/6/2014Tai Pan has always been solid dim sum place in the Peninsula, but was very disappointed with the awful xiao long bao. Six pieces for $10 is not cheap. Total bill was $50 for just six dim sum items ordered. It has never been a cheap place (hey it is in swanky Palo Alto), but the fail for the xiao long bao begs one to wonder how that could happen. The waiter and waitress need to learn to not hover near the patrons. I am not the type who enjoy being stared at as I partake in my food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dim Sum at Its FinestfrequentDinerVIPDined on 9/4/2014One orders using a check list and an accompanying glossy photo card of the dish showing quantity and a word description. The food and tea are great. We have had dinner there too (same rating and comments).Special Features:
- Excellent experienceMikeDVIPDined on 8/24/2014We loved this place. In town and looking for Chinese, Tai Pan had good reviews so we booked. Got lost on the way and had trouble finding it because of a Palo Alto street fair. Menu is long. We were not sure what "Hong Kong" meant in terms of Chinese food. We had the frog and Crab Sampan style. Great choices and fun to eat. A little greasy and messy, so be prepared. Wait staff was helpful in explaining our choices. One asked my wife several times "You like frog?" before signing her up. Quite busy on a Sunday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty dinnerPaulamaluDined on 8/22/2014Three of us dined and shared three entrees: lamb, chicken and fish. Plus a bottle of merlot. Our waiter was excellent, well-informed, yet non-intrusive. We have had lunch at Tai Pan multiple times and this was our first shot at a dinner. There is no question we will return. If we were 3-for-3 on the dinner entrees, it seems like a "can't miss" for future visits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome dimsumChicagoguyDined on 8/17/2014Been coming here for years now, almost every trip to the Bay Area. The spread of dimsum is excellent for lunch,dinner not so much. If you love authentic dimsum this is a must eat place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/6/2014Our food was good, but not great. Service was very slow. Lots of other restaurant choices in the area, we'd pick another one next time.
- Great dim sumlegrandgourmandDined on 8/2/2014The dim sum here is worth putting up with the truly mediocre service. The best Har Gaw in town, served in a beautiful dining room, that is, after you tackle a waiter and force him to take your order. A bit annoying, too, that the restaurant seats customers on a first-come, first-served basis whether or not you make a reservation, but a nice experience overall anyway.
- Nice Find. Dim Sum and more.MaRoVIPDined on 8/1/2014Dim Sum in an elegant setting with exceptional service. This is a very nice restaurant. The table settings a first class and the staff highly trained to attend to anyone's needs. We tried several small plate appetizers with the shrimp dumplings being a favorite. We would return just for those. We split the Peking duck entry and it was superb. The waiter was attentive without being overbearing and graciously answered all our curious inquiries. We will be back.Special Features:
- Poor service spoils the experienceLocalGalDined on 7/18/2014We ordered 5 dishes: two were delivered fairly quickly, but it was more than 15 minutes before the other 3 dishes were served - by which time the first ones were cold. We brought foreign guests here because it had good ratings, but it was a real disappointment.
- Really good food ...but crying babyZebragirlVIPDined on 7/17/2014Tai Pan is our favorite Chinese food in Palo Alto, but for a seemingly nice atmosphere it is disappointing to go for a nice meal and have a crying baby the entire time. The couple next to us was also saying "unbelievable", as the owner did not do anything even when we complained. I have children and I know it is difficult dining with them, however I think when it is an upscale restaurant there should be a policy for patrons to know that they can have a relaxing meal. It has happened there before so it is not a one of. Sadly, I do not think I will return even thought the food is really good.
- Large Dim Sum MenufrequentDinerVIPDined on 7/17/2014Easy to order menu by photo and verbal description. Hi quality food and service.Special Features:
- Great fof GroupsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/16/2014Tai Pan staff was relatively friendly and made sure our food was served fast. One of the servers even took a plate back because she noticed it was not ready, yet. Good for bigger groups and a fairly good selection of dishes.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/14/2014Kitchen closes fairly early so wouldn't recommend late night reservations. Food was good and atmosphere was very nice and authentic. Bartender was very nice and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sreaterDined on 5/27/2014Vibrant and busy place for lunch - probably great for dim sum, but rather pricy for rest of menu. Had been there for dinner, but not lunch - had expected lower priced menu for lunch.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 324 reviews are from the Tai Pan reviews archive.
- Good for Dim SumPamelaJVIPDined on 5/17/2014We went on Saturday for dim sum and the food was excellent. The dim sum menu is fairly small, but every item we had was well prepared with fresh, high quality ingredients. The service was brusque.Special Features:
- Mothers day LunchAndreaVIPDined on 5/11/2014We go here often for great dim sum. It's always a nice. They were really busy for Mother's Day but it was a fun place to have multiple generations. Food is always good, especially their dim sum. Service not terrific, but not bad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dim sum in relaxed settingEdoErgoSumVIPDined on 4/12/2014This is not your hustle and bustle style dim sum place. Come here for a more sublime, quiet afternoon of tea and dim sum. Of course, if you are unlucky, you might get a table full of crying toddlers. But that is not the restaurant's fault. Blame the parents. Service could be spotty, but a smile and a thank you always got me a nice response here. If you are way south of Daly City and do not want to make a trip up north, then dropping in here might satisfy your dim sum craving.Special Features:
- Did not meet expectationsCakewalkVIPDined on 4/7/2014Scheduled a business lunch. Service was very uneven. Either they were ignoring us, or were rube and overbearing by interrupting our conversation. The strangest thing was instead of serving our four lunches together, they bought them out one at a time. Minutes passed between our lunch being served , so some of our meals were cold. It was also very awkward. When the check came the waiter leaned a cross my face to present it, rather than take two extra steps to stand beside my chair. Did the same thing again when he bought the credit card back. Rudest thing I have ever seen a server do.
- Tasty celebration with Peking Duckwogger85VIPDined on 4/2/2014No one does Peking Duck in Palo Alto quite like Tai Pan. We had another great meal here, sharing a duck with two friends and ordering a couple other entrees and appetizers. One suggestion to make a night like this even more memorable is to bring a nice bottle of sparkling wine. Not only do the crisp acid and bubbles cut through fatty dishes, but nothing is more fun than popping a bottle of bubbly with some friends.Special Features:
- Favorite Chinese cuisine: Palo AltoMitchDined on 3/28/2014My family and I love the food at Taipan, and the service is quite good as well. Every dish is elegant, tasty, and we always want more. The only shortcoming is the wine list, though honestly I cannot point to a better example among the Chinese restaurants in Palo Alto. This is terrific for a special occasion or simply for a unique lunch or dinner.Special Features:
- great dim sum!Culinaryglobetrotter7VIPDined on 3/16/2014everything was efficient and really good, had fun, will come back. Shall try their sister place called "Steam" next time. We were visiting from the east coast, this place was recommended by a close friend! Great find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed, overpriced, mediocre.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/16/2014To echo some of the other reviews, the food is pretty unremarkable and you can get much better dim sum elsewhere in the Bay Area at half the price. The inside is nicely decorated but that's all you're paying for. The service was pretty bad, they forgot 1 dish and brought it out after we had dessert after we kept asking about it over and over (long before the desserts). And the utensils and the cup had food grime on them.Special Features:
- Food is very tasty but a bit priceyAlexDined on 3/7/2014We were a party of 4. The food was delicious and the service was very quick and efficient. Recommend the honey smoked seabass and the lime chicken dish.Special Features:
- Over-ratedDickSFDined on 2/25/2014Over-priced and under-good standard menu. The restaurant promises something extraordinary. It doesn't produce anything close to that.
- Yum!!andibVIPDined on 2/17/2014As usual, great food, excellent service at Tai Pan. We go there when I get a craving for the Jai Buddha Delight salad (which is a delight!). Their house fried rice is delicious, light and veggie filled--no grease!!! Don't miss the sponge cake for dessert, ask for it early, takes 20 minutes to prepare ( and about 3 minutes to eat!!!!!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tai Pan February 2014DinerDined on 2/16/2014We have been dining at Tai Pan for several years now, with the food being consistently good. The service has never been excellent, but it has gone downhill noticeably the last few times we've been there. The service now has become terrible. They bring the entrees out at different times rather than together. They do not bother to check on you, you have to hunt the waiters down to get refills on water. They have absolutely no interest in whether you are a satisfied customer or not.
- Our Third Visit in Two MonthsfrequentDinerVIPDined on 2/11/2014Had a family dinner with a variety of serving platters and bowls. Since then we have been back for two different dim sum lunches. Dinners probably require a reservation. Probably also true for lunch-hour peak. This restaurant seems to be a favorite of Chinese-Americans. We need to look no further for Chinese meals.Special Features:
- So-so but expensive foodKKPulliamVIPDined on 2/8/2014Atmosphere is pretty good, not your typical Chinese restaurant. Food wise, consider the extreme high price, not worth it. For 1/2 the price you can get a lot better tasting 'real' dim sum / Chinese food elsewhere, and I am not referring to some old beat up restaurant, but other well known established Chinese restaurants w/in 20 mile radius. Now on the final bill, we were shocked when we received the bill. For a party of 4 adults + 1 child, we ate almost all dim sum plates with 1 fried rice plate. Total came out to be around $145!!!! That was outrageous. They automatically added 18% Gratuity to the bill. It's our last time dining in this restaurant.Special Features:
- Dim Sum for dinnerElanDined on 2/7/2014Came here for my birthday dinner for dim sum I'd had for lunch a year ago. Though no dim sum menu for dinner, there were some under Appetizers. Had the first one--a selection of three dim sum--and walnut prawns. A wonderful meal for two,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner menu was very Americanized.OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 2/1/2014Dinner menu was very Americanized. Food is refined, with prices to match.Special Features:
- The food was cold, they forgotOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 1/30/2014The food was cold, they forgot one dish for 30 minutes and the noise was awful. Bad day.
- Unwelcome upon arrivalFit4foodVIPDined on 1/26/2014Prepare to be ignored for the first few minutes upon arrival. For some reason, the idea of greeting and welcoming customers is lost on them. The main lady will continue to stroll around with an air of importance and never acknowledge your presence. Doesn't matter if you have a reservation. They've had this problem for years. The only reason we come back is for the food and one of the female servers with short hair is nice. You can tell which one she is because she is the only employee who smiles.
- DisappointedluvgoodfoodVIPDined on 1/26/2014I admitted that we were 10 minutes late for the reservation, but were still surprised be told that our table was already seated with other guests. I have dined in the hottest restaurants in San Francisco and have never had this happened to me ever. The worst part was that the restaurant could not care less if you were unhappy or that you will never return again. So this restaurant will definitely be off my list.
- Had dim sum - it was all reallymb650VIPDined on 1/17/2014Had dim sum - it was all really good. Large portions so over-ordered, but took lots home. Unusually elegant for a Chinese restaurant, but prices are also quite high.Special Features:
- Outstanding Dim SumfrequentDinerVIPDined on 1/8/2014A pictorial menu with word descriptions is presented along with a checklist and pencil. Taste, texture and appearance of food were wonderful. Service was friendly and thoughtful. The dining room is elegant. This will be a regular for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but expensive Chinese foodMerryDrinkerVIPDined on 12/26/2013We wanted a Chinese place that was good and near Stanford with convenient parking. The food here is good - excellent Peking duck and crispy egg noodles. A level above average in quality but nothing to write home about. The decor is pretty and nicer than most Chinese restaurants. This is a good place to take clients and out of town guests, but not the type of place where you'd go for a fun dinner with a group of friends who just want to chow down on some good Chinese food. The prices are high for Chinese food, and not worth it. I probably wouldn't come here again unless it were for business.Special Features:
- Tai Pan is Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/25/2013Some of the best Chinese food I've ever had. Everything was so flavorful and delicious -- there was nothing left to take home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.