Tahiti Nui - Luau
5-5134 Kuhio Hwy
Hanalei, HI 96714Neighborhood:
Hawaii Regional CuisinePrice: $50 and over
Tahiti Nui - Luau
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://thenui.com/
- Phone: 8088266277
- Hours of Operation:
Wednesday LUAU: 5:00pm check in with Mai Tais on the house until 7:00pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Hawaii Regional Cuisine
- Executive Chef: Miguel
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Wine
A word from Tahiti Nui - Luau
"Luau night" was always Aunty Louise's favorite night of the week to entertain all "her friends". Our Family Luau is back on, every Wednesday night just like before. Check in at 5pm, Mai Tais on the house until 7pm. Cost is $75 per person for adults and $35 - $45 for children depending on age. Ask about our senior & other discounts. Come enjoy open buffet & our wonderful dinner show!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Tahiti Nui - Luau reviews from OpenTable diners
13 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
kid-friendly (8)good for groups (7)neighborhood gem (5)vibrant bar scene (5)special occasion (4)hot spot (3)scenic view (2)great for lunch (1)late-night find (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Cool local spotOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/3/2014Great local spot but bad reviews are because first our luau was cancelled on us but were told that there would still be live music and hula dancers. The "auntie" who maybe owns the place was super rude, cleared my beer that wasn't empty yet, the poisson cru was tasteless and then there was barely live music if you could call it that and no hula dancers. Good part is that our entrees were good, we got 20% off our whole bill due to the luau thing and then my beer was taken off the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/27/2014Fantastic service. Best job of accommodating vegetarian needs at any luau ever. Great show. Not the biggest luau on the island but definitely my favorite. You leave filled with the aloha spirit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LuauHanaleigemDined on 8/20/2014This is a must do if you are looking for an authentic luau experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tahiti Nui luau still goodNickNameDined on 8/20/2014I've gone to the luau at the Tahiti Nui several times over about 30 years and it is still the good, down-home luau it's always been. No glitz.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for luau, KauaiFunQuestDined on 8/13/2014We had a great time! The music and dancing were authentic Hawaiian! Excellent, talented performers! I recommend this luau to couples, to families! Food, drinks are good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tahiti Nui luaucacutlersDined on 8/13/2014The luau was so much fun. We enjoyed the food and the show. This is a very authentic family style Luau not a giant production show. The venue is intimate and staff was very attentive. The dancers and musicians really invite everyone to get involved. We laughed quite a bit. The hula dancers were amazing in the art of Hula. Try this if your looking for a good time.Special Features:
- familyof6Dined on 7/23/2014We had a fun night at the Tahiti Nui Luau. The food was great and it felt like we were family friends invited to a party. We loved the way that we were introduced to the luau festivities and asked to join in. I loved the family owned vibe and the way they shared their story with us.Special Features:
- LuauOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/9/2014One of the hidden treasures of the island! The food was exceptional and the staff is fantastic. Will be back next visit to Kauai.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tahiti Nui LuauluvkauaiDined on 7/2/2014Fun, family atmosphere. Great food. Smaller, less commercial luau.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sound a Big ProblemOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/25/2014Tahiti Nui is a great place, and the luau food was great, but there were big problems with the sound that ruined the experience for us. The sound system was much too loud and the sound mix for the first (modern) Hawaian band was a big distraction. Some of the musicians in the first band had no idea what they were playing, which was unprofessional and disappointing. The traditional Hawaian band was much better and the dancers were excellent. But the excessive volume was still a distraction. Despite the wonderful food and general ambiance of Tahiti Nui, one would do well to pass on this luau and go to one of the more professional luaus on the island. The music does matter.
- The following 51 reviews are from the Tahiti Nui - Luau reviews archive.
- Monson family vacationMissinKauaiDined on 5/21/2014My family spent 9 days in Kauai staying in a rental condo in Princeville. We stayed very busy seeing all the wonderful sights of the island. Our favorite area by far was Hanalei Bay and Tahiti Nui. We had lunch there one day, dinner another day, drinks while enjoying the talented musicians (with an occasional hula dance too!). My family enjoyed the lua very much. The music was awesome! The dancers beautiful and graceful! The fire dance was incredible! And the food was delicious! This was our first lua and my family had a magical night at Tahiti Nui. The ambiance and feel of the Tahiti Nui is something we won't forget for a very long time. We'rehome now and wish we could go for a drive and visit our favorite place in Hawaii. Best Mai Tais!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family style LuauHootDined on 4/9/2014Great, low profile Luau run by a polynesian family. Generous with included Mai Tai's. Guests included in roast pig ceremony. Staff and entertainers were all members of an extended family. For those tired of the large commercial production Luau's at hotels, this is a small, but fun family run production. Enjoyed by all present.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great LuauMikeDined on 4/2/2014Great atmosphere and a very authentic and traditional luau experience, with singing, dancing, and storytelling on the stage, in front of long banquet tables that created a very intimate and energetic room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tahiti Nui a luau gem!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/2/2014Best luau food I've ever had; organic & local. We sat at Table 4 so took a long time to eat is my only ding, but on the up side no one is rushed either. Mai Tai's we're AWESOME ;-). Entertainment was top notch. The very best part is that it is small & intimate. Very family like. Great environment for kids as they're free to dance with the entertainers all night if they want. Lovely venue & evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Keiki at luauOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/26/2014The food was very good and the dancing was nice even if the set up was on a small scale. It was cute to see the very young girl trying to imitate her mother and the calm and smiling way the mother was showing her without direct correction. Cute.Special Features:
- Great LuauJayHDined on 3/5/2014Have been visiting Hanalei for decades, but never visited the Tahiti Nui. Our loss. This was a fine evening of good food and wonderful entertainers. Don't miss it.Special Features:
- When the sun went down...BrentEDined on 2/19/2014We had a great time at Tahiti Nui, we were seated next to the windows which kept it cooler during the meal. The problem was that when the sun went down, the mosquitos came out. There were no screens on the open windows and my wife and two boys were almost eaten alive. At one point I looked down the length of our table, and everyone was either scratching or swatting a mosquito. We left before the show finished because the mosquitos were so bad. GET SOME WINDOWS SCREENS!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neat little Luau! If you'veNotAgainVIPDined on 2/19/2014Neat little Luau! If you've been to a big production luau. This luau in quiet Hanalei is unique!Special Features:
- Tahiti Nui LuauOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/12/2014Our family goes to this luau about once a year and are never disappointed! We feel like we are family members...the staff just pulls you in. The food is great, and we usually have dishes we have not tried before. It is not a big, flashy luau or one that you feel like part of a cattle herd going through dinner. Tahiti Nui is a small, intimate venue. We love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Spot in HanaleiLeannaDined on 2/12/2014Love Tahiti Nui and now with their expanded "luau only" section it is even better. Small, intimate, owner involvement, great food, dancers, music, just want you want in a luau experience. If you want the huge big over-done hotel luau, stay away, if you want a nice intimate evening where you might even make friends with those other travelers at your table, then this is the place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- reservation was cancelledOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/5/2014reservation was cancelled due to weather and bridge closure....... no review done............ have not been to the restaurant yet....
- great "funky" luau!localdinerDined on 1/8/2014We love coming to this luau at least once a year. It is a great family run business, we like seeing the pig lifted out of the ground and the free Mai Tai's. The food selection is not big but everything was delicious. The music is a bit on the loud side. The dancers were good but the fire dancer presentation was a bit short.Special Features:
- Best authentic Luau on Kauai!Colorado2Dined on 1/8/2014We enjoyed the family atmosphere at the dinner. All the servers and hosts were very welcoming to us. It was fun and interesting to see the pig uncovered, as the men explained how they prepared the pig for the cooking pit. I loved how all the traditional attire changed for each of the different songs(hulas?) ! The littlest girls were so darling. And behind the songs was a talented quartet of musicians playing and singing. The food was delicious with a large selection to please everyone. Best lomi ever! At the conclusion we held hands singing a song with aloha spirit. Although I didn't know the song the energy was awesome. We left feeling good, our bellies filled with food and our hearts with aloha kaiaun spirit!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cancelled our reservationLynnLeiLeiDined on 12/11/2013We never had the chance to dine here, as they called us several hours before the luau and cancelled our reservation. At least they called, but it was a let down.
- Wish they had not cancelledKarinDined on 12/4/2013Would have loved to go but they cancelled the luau! Heard the luau was great!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Da Nui luau partyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/20/2013The luau night at theTahiti Nui was one of the best nights of our two week vacation in Hanalei. Our party of 12 enjoyed the authentic Hawaiian luau eats and drinks. The best was the music and the dancers. Not Disneyland, just a real luau funSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Luau no goLuaugirlDined on 11/6/2013Our Luau was cancelled the day of the Luau. Too late to make another reservation somewhere else. No reason given, even after we checked the weekend before to make sure the Luau was still on. We stayed in Hanalei so the location would have been perfect for our party of 10.
- The Luau at Tahiti Nui isOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/30/2013The Luau at Tahiti Nui is a scaled down affair compared to the productions put on a larger hotels and sites among the islands and that lends to the charm. Perhaps the one draw back is that the show is not in a beautiful outdoor setting with burning tiki lamps and all, but we had a wonderful time and the experience seemed more intimate because of the setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Little Luau in TownDougDined on 10/16/2013I've been to many Luau's over the years and they have all been these big extravaganzas. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed all of them, but the Tahiti Nui Luau was the first small very family oriented Luau. I recommend their Luau very highly. A 5 star for sure. I'll definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best down-home, authentic LuauMicaeleDined on 10/16/2013We have been going to this family-style, intimate, no frills but real local, homey small-town luau for almost 30 years, and we look forward to it every time. Great hula, good music fresh food--guests even gather around the outdoor imu to see the roasted pig come out of the smoky pit and get fresh bites of the hot pork before going back inside for dinner and the show. The next- door bar is famous as the gathering place of sailboat skippers who are just finishing the single-handed TransPac race. On Kaua'i's North Shore? You gotta go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good Hawaiian luauyumyumDined on 10/16/2013An enjoyable old-style, family-friendly Hawaiian luau. The evening began with free-flowing Mai Tais. Then Christian and his son did a wonderful job of unveiling and presenting the traditionally cooked pig, and it (and all the rest of the plentiful meal) was delicious. The entertainment was a family affair, with sons and nephews and nieces and cousins all involved as intstrumentalists and dancers. All in all, a memorable and enjoyable evening!Special Features:
- great luau experiencewelch4threeDined on 10/16/2013We have been to Kauai 4 times. Each of our other trips we have enjoyed the experience if the larger luau. This time we wanted a different experience. We found it. The mai tais were good and they are generous with them. The room is small and is comfortable. Good view from all seats. The food was excellent. Once again generous. The dancers were awesome. No frills just great dancing. Li ve the family feel at this luau. Would recommend to all for a different experience. Great for those who have already attended larger venue. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best luau experience!!!PabloDined on 10/9/2013The Wednesday night luau was an experience no one should be without when visiting Hanalei. The ambiance was energetic, the Mai tai's were the best and the show was great to watch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Most Authentic Luau on IslandcharkeeDined on 10/9/2013As the lava-lava clad staff pull the pig out of the Imu, Tahiti Nui owner Christian Marsden explains how to pick rocks for the imu pit so that they will not explode and talks about how to prepare the pig, sweet potatoes in Ti leaves for the underground oven. The Luau includes among other dishes, lomi salmon, poisson cru, chicken long rice, fish, poi and succulent port. The hula halau and musicians are stellar bringing ancient and modern hula to light along with Tahitian dances culminating in a spectacular fire dance. The audience is treated like part of the ohana and is encouraged to learn a hula and mele. Done in true local style this is an event that folks of all ages can enjoy and should.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tahiti Nui Nō ka ʻoiCarolaniDined on 9/25/2013We arrived and were immediately handed a Mai tai...good start! ide we went through a buffet with salad & homemade papaya dressing, lomi lomi salmon, fresh fish, grilled chicken, garlic bread and of course the Kalua pork. There were many more dishes and all were delicious! Fresh fruits and deserts. Then we had entertainment, dancers did Tahitian and Hawaiian dances and a fire dancer who was exciting to watch. This is the best luau I've ever been to on any of the islands and it felt so authentic. The staff was so accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great funGaffajamesDined on 9/18/2013An authentic Luau. If you do only one, do this one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great intimate luaulovinkauaiDined on 9/11/2013We were looking for a small luau rather than the 1,000+ venues and this was just what we had hoped it would be. My wife and I felt like family and the entertainment was first class as was the food and drink. The service was excellent, the setting perfect, and it just felt good. Thanks for taking the time to put on such a great luau.Special Features:
- Best, Most Authentic Luau on KauaicharkeeDined on 9/11/2013Listen to Christian Marsden give the history of Tahiti Nui (his mother Louise started it in '63) while explaining how to pick the best rocks for the imu as he and his son take the pig out of the pit to ready for serving to the luau crowd. Succulent pig, long rice, chicken, fish, poi. lomi salmon and other delectable dishes along with the mai tai's make the stomach smile. The local hula halau and musicians are top notch. The performance includes lovely ancient and modern hula, amazing Tahitian dances including the fire dance.. It is down home and rustic in this little luau "hut". There is great interaction with the guests. It is Local style - as close to the real thing as one can get. Nothing staged or Hollywood...just REAL and FUN!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT TIMElauriedoDined on 8/21/2013We wet to Tahiti Nui for a luau because a friend said it would be a great option- both close and a lot of fun. They were totally right! We were staying in Princville and the Luau was right down the road, and a total blast!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun LuauOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/21/2013I've been to many large scale hotel based luaus and this one is one of the best. We had a great time. The only weak point was the kalua pig, which was very dry. And they should offer more non-alcoholic drinks in the first hour. It's not fair to the non-drinkers to be offered only water or fruit punch while everyone gets mai-tais. The rest of the food is good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.