TAG / Burger and Bar at Madison Street
1222 Madison St
Denver, CO 80206-3440Neighborhood:
BurgersPrice: $30 and under
TAG / Burger and Bar at Madison Street
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.madisonstreetdenver.com/
- Phone: (303) 736-2260
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday -Saturday: 3:00pm - 11:00pm
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Burgers
- Executive Chef: Troy Guard
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from TAG / Burger and Bar at Madison Street
TAG BURGER BAR features gourmet burgers and a lengthy beer list from local breweries, all in a cozy neighborhood setting.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
TAG / Burger and Bar at Madison Street - Best Restaurants in Cherry Creek ›
TAG / Burger and Bar at Madison Street reviews from OpenTable diners
54 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (40)fit for foodies (21)great for outdoor dining (19)vibrant bar scene (16)kid-friendly (14)great for lunch (14)hot spot (14)good for groups (11)great for brunch (4)special occasion (2)Show More
- Doesn't disappointJeffnCathyVIPDined on 4/7/2014TAG Burger Bar is consistently delicious. The food is great and the servers are always efficient and friendly. Only complaint is that sometimes the noise level goes from "energetic" to overwhelming (slamming patio door or loud T.V.'s). Great place for dinner out with friends when we want something casual but with good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Burgers Never Had it So Good!Stephen5280VIPDined on 4/5/2014TAG Burger Bar is another winner from chef Troy Guard. TAG BB is a great neighborhood joint with a "locals" vibe, yet welcoming to anyone who wants a great burger. Choose your patty (angus beef, bison, turkey, salmon, or veggie), and then TRY to choose your fixings. "The Bulldog" (roasted red pepper, sautéed mushrooms, provolone cheese, arugula, spicy mustard) and the "Godzilla," a Denver Burger Battle winner (teriyaki sauce, shiitake mushrooms, butter lettuce, crispy tempura flakes, smoked kewpi) are our favorites so far, but it's hard to choose. Service is spot-on and knowledgable; Kelly served us last time in, and she nailed it start to finish. The girl really knew her beer pairings, too - just one more reason to stop by TAG.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Neighborhood EatsSusanDined on 4/5/2014I enjoyed eating at TAG on Saturday, April 5th. It's a nice Congress Park neighborhood restaurant. The food was very good as was the service. I am a vegetarian and the veggie burger was excellent. I recommend TAG to others who are looking for a casual spot. The atmosphere is fun albeit a bit noisy. I will say the prices are quite high for a burger joint. Everything is priced a la carte` including a side of mayonnaise ($0.50). An extra $2.00 is added for lettuce, tomato and a slice of American cheese on a burger. An order of small fries is $4.00. Bring plenty of dough to TAG and enjoy your burger and fries. You'll enjoy it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 3 strikes, you're outDenverCVIPDined on 4/2/2014This was our last time trying TAG Burger. The service was terribly slow on a not-busy evening (our waitress kept disappearing). I'm gluten free and when I asked the waitress if the special of the day had gluten in it (fried wonton chips) she said yes, but said I could get brussels instead. Well,. she bought us both and charged us for both- what was I supposed to do with the chips I couldn't eat? I wanted to ask her about this but then she disappeared again. The fries were droopy. Our meals were so-so (husband got meatloaf, I got a naked ahi- burger which was rare not medium like I'd asked). By the time our waitress resurfaced our kids were cranky and all we wanted to do was leave. This is usually the way we feel after eating there.
- Gourmet Burger treatJoneVIPDined on 3/27/2014A fantastic "foodie" spot for gourmet-style burgers, great shakes, and a super friendly staff.Special Features:
- Burger nightDanaVIPDined on 3/8/2014This is a great neighborhood find, with a great burger!!Special Features:
- Awesome food/service!TravellinGalVIPDined on 3/5/2014The food here is amazing...TAG does it again. They have such interesting dishes...the spicy mac n cheese is awesome. I like the kids' menus with the dry erase markers--that was fun. The seating was a bit awkward though...tiny or extremely large tables that are sort of on top of eachother. Wish we still lived around the corner from this place we'd be there every week.Special Features:
- Meet a friend for lunch spotTeddDined on 2/20/2014Met my daughter therefor lunch. The food was very good. The service was also very good. It was a very enjoyable time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FUN!!GiosDined on 2/14/2014Your evening starts with fabulous beers and ends with fantastic shakes!! In between is a burger that will make your taste buds delighted!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food.....Fun EnvironmentpinkyaVIPDined on 2/14/2014I'm not sure why anyone would give this place a bad rating! We were looking for a casual, but fun environment to enjoy some good food and drink. We definitely found what we were looking for! This goes beyond a regular burger joint. It offers great "foodie" type options for appetizers and burgers. The drinks are fun and the beer list is great. Our only disappointment was the Russian River tap was out and hadn't been replaced. Bummer! Overall we enjoyed our experience and thought the food was great. We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- very creative and yummy burgers.OutstandinDined on 2/8/2014very creative and yummy burgers. drinks are tasty tooSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unfortunate saladNavyRetDined on 2/4/2014Although I am sure the burgers would be good, I was fairly displeased with the food I did have. Started with the house made pickles...they were mushy and over spiced with chile flakes. The salad was a simple Arugula salad with beets, quinoa, almonds and a lemon vinaigrette. There was no quinoa and the greens had been way over salted. It was not salt in the dressing...it was salt all over the salad. More like theater popcorn or chips. They specialize in craft beers, but wanting a whisky...I was kind of disappointed by the selection.
- Good food, mediocre serviceRachelVIPDined on 1/29/2014I really enjoy Tag burger bar overall, but this most recent time I'm sorry to say we had a bad experience. A friend got the completely wrong burger, so they took it back to remake it. By the time it came back out of the kitchen, we had all finished our meals. Not only that, but the recipient of this particular meal is gluten intolerant, so she had ordered it on lettuce... When they finally did bring her the right burger, it was on a bun! So they had to take it back AGAIN. Finally, after all this, she was still charged for the burger. We thought this was just too much. When you're charging around $15 for a burger (w/o a side), you expect better service. Long story short... Come for the good food and beer. Don't come for the service.
- AH MAZINGKateVIPDined on 1/18/2014Tag burger bar is awesome. Food is great, beer is great, atmosphere is very funSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful variety of burgersDougVIPDined on 1/17/2014Wonderful variety of burgers including salmon, turkey and bison. I enjoyed the salmon burger and my wife thought the bison was wonderful Good service but quite noisy. There are some quieter tables and we were seated at one. Very limited dessert menu. Lots of families and neighborhood people.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing burgers and serviceBWCopleyDined on 1/16/2014My girlfriends and I had Kelly as our server, and she was completely attentive and lovely! I love this restaurant for the house pickles, delicious choices on toppings, and gluten free buns!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still Good, Not As Good As BeforeGoodFoodFanVIPDined on 1/4/2014Been to Tag''s several times. This experience was not up to the quality as previous visits. Service was attentive but stiff. Server was very busy and appeared stressed. Food was not the usual "A", maybe a "B" . My turkey burger was undercooked, my wife's veggie burger was not anywhere close to Tag's usual standard. Also, the music was waaaaaaay tooooooo loud. All that said, I still will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We both enjoyed the greatDougVIPDined on 1/3/2014We both enjoyed the great bison burgers. Both the fries and brussel sprouts were good sides. It is noisy but we had a relatively quiet booth in a corner and the noise was not bad. Fun atmosphere with quite a few young neighborhood families.Special Features:
- Great food and service!gaffgaVIPDined on 1/1/2014TAG Burger is a great spot to visit for brunch, lunch or dinner. Food is delicious, fresh and locally sourced. If you haven't been, it's a must-check-it-out spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A not bad mealDthreeDined on 12/27/2013The food was decent, if a little pricy for burgers. Good prices for beer, wine was priced average. Service was adequate, but degenerated to rudely rushed by end of meal. Quite noisy, to be expected in such a small place.
- Burgers, Drinks, and a fancy nameOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/20/2013After being a long-time (and very outspoken) fan of TAG on Larimer, I was very excited to try the latest member of Troy's restaurants. The service was kind, when he could be found... the non-existent waiting area was a bummer with the freezing temps, and the food didn't live up to our expectations. That being said, they're doing the duck fat fries right (which makes this preggo lady VERY HAPPY) here, and the food is still pretty good. Not as amazing as what we went in expecting, but that was really no fault of the restaurant. I would return if a friend was going, but I don't see myself driving up from Castle Rock for this place. TAG on Larimer, always worth the trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehAneeterVIPDined on 12/15/2013We went on a recommendation of a friend... I don't need to go back. The drinks were passable, the milkshakes overrated, and the food was lackluster. The best parts were the fried pickles and the fries done in duck fat. Otherwise... we won't be Tagging anyone to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice experience, good food,burgerboyDined on 12/14/2013Nice experience, good food, great burgers and a interesting tap beer selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too loudDissapointingVIPDined on 11/15/2013This restaurant was so loud I could not hear anything but noise. Everyone in the restaurant was yelling and could hardly hear the waiter. Food was ordinary greasy fried food. Not bad but not good enough to deal with the cacophony there.
- Not as good as the last visitsTranceObsessionVIPDined on 11/11/2013I have been to Tag Burger Bar on several occasions, this being the fourth time with my girlfriend and I have to say I don't know if they are going through a transition phase or what but there were several things amiss on this trip. First and foremost the menus that the restaurant has posted online in various forums do not match with what is available at the restaurant. My girlfriend was going to order one of their speciality cocktails only to be told that they were no longer offering that once we arrived. I ordered the Los Chingones burger and instead of chicharones and the other fixings it lists on the online menus, I got a little bit of chorizo, no black bean puree, and pepper jack cheese instead of grilled cotija. A bit disappointed.Special Features:
- Slow because it was packedOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 11/2/2013Slow because it was packed to the gills. But the burgers are amazing -- the best I've ever had.
- Great food. Waitress a littlekathyDined on 11/1/2013Great food. Waitress a little slow but won't stop me from going again. Way to loud. There are so many people in there and the music is up so loud, you cannot carry on a conversation. The waitress couldn't hear our order. The music could have been "background loud" and it would have been more enjoyable. Probably won't go back for dinner because of the noise level but will try it for lunch.Special Features:
- Big hype, sub-par foodgoodfoodVIPDined on 10/31/2013Fun neighborhood location and atmosphere, friendly servers, but major let down on the food. After eating at TAG downtown I had very high expectations, but the flavors all ran together in the burgers. Also, nachos with stadium quality cheese on it were disappointing.
- Enjoyed our first visit andgingerloverDined on 10/23/2013Enjoyed our first visit and have already talked about going. I'd recommend this friends and enemies alike. Great food, pleasant service and a cute managerSpecial Features:
- Good foodburke22Dined on 10/19/2013Burger's were good expected it to be a little bit bigger. Service was slow but it was busy that night. We plan on coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Yorker's take on itNYinDenverVIPDined on 10/2/2013We eat out a lot like New Yorkers, so here's out take. Been several times Food - great burgers, a step above any gourmet fast food burger, not as greased out as Cherry Cricket. Lots of unique options. Gets very pricey though for burgers $10-13 Service - good, knowledgable. Atmosphere - really lively, very fun place for the bar above all and group parties Overall - would go againSpecial Features:
- My rating of the food droppedtoperaVIPDined on 10/1/2013My rating of the food dropped from good to fair for one reason. The hamburger bun was awful. Dry, flavorless and crumbly. How a restaurant that has the name burger in it name coudl choose such a bad bun in incomprehensilbe to me. Maybe it was just one bad bun, but it was one bad bun.
- Tagulous!KristaZDined on 9/29/2013Troy is an amazing chef with great visions and skills. Amazing food and drinks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing service. Very accommodatingBrianVIPDined on 9/20/2013Amazing service. Very accommodating to us. We wanted to eat inside. They were awesome. Food was great. But the server and hostess is the reason we will go back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a great meal. EnjoyedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/13/2013Had a great meal. Enjoyed the atmosphere although not the best view (parking lot). would go back again for a burger!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't judge a Burger BarPattiVIPDined on 9/1/2013We were excited to check out this new great looking Burger Bar. Who doesn't love a good burger? Unfortunately the ambience didn't match the quality of food. Is it that hard to serve a hot hamburger? If you are going to specialize in burgers - you need to knock it outta the park. Tag struck out with me...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the burgers were very ordinary,OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/2/2013the burgers were very ordinary, the fries were good. maybe it was an off night because I have read a lot of good reviews about the placeSpecial Features:
- The service can be a littleOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/31/2013The service can be a little slow, but the restaurant is almost always packed so that is understandable. Servers are friendly. The fried pickles are amazing! I have yet to try one of their burgers that I didn't like. Interesting and delicious toppings for the burgers. Ask about the burger of the month - it's always a winner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Late afternoon lunchBobbiDined on 7/22/2013It was okay but I didn't think the burgers were that special. The fries were okay, the glass of wine was okay. My husband ordered a baked potato that he really enjoyed but didn't eat much of his burger. I thought that the burger would be great but was disappointed. He didn't even compare to a burger at the Tavern in Cherry Creek. We were there pretty late in the afternoon so there wasn't a crowd.Special Features:
- We were very disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/19/2013We were very disappointed with our dinner, everything was overcooked, especially the french fries that were harder than rocks. My fish and chips was all breading and a quarter amount of fish, very unsatisfying. We have eaten at TAG many times, but more so when it used to be Madison Street Bar & Grill and feel that the restaurant has taken a downfall since it has changed menus and/or ownership. The food is overpriced now, and they are not consistent with their menu or their service, very disappointing when it's one of the only places to eat in the neighborhood.