158 W Ontario St
Chicago, IL 60654Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://tacojoint.com/
- Phone: 3123378226x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Regional Mexican, Mexican, Contemporary Mexican
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: TAQUIZA CATERING
Taquizas are a fun and festive way to sample Taco Joint's selection of braised and grilled meats, housemade salsas and homemade tortillas with a variety of tacos and flavorful sides.
Delivery • We prepare and deliver the food to you.
Pick-up • We prepare and have it ready to go.
Pop-up Catering • Let us do all the work and bring the restaurant to you, from the decor to the staff. Be a guest at your party!
- Private Party Contact: Julie Anderson x
A word from Taco Joint
With a bustling location in Lincoln Park and another in River North, Taco Joint brings the different flavors found throughout the streets and marketplaces of Mexico to Chicago. The menu includes a selection of tacos made with braised and grilled meats, housemade salsas and handmade tortillas including; Barbacoa from Central Mexico, Cochinita Pibil from Yucatan and Carnitas from Jalisco. Other street fare includes flautas, tortas, tamales and quesadillas. The cantina features a variety of specialty margaritas and cocktails, Mexican and craft beers plus Chicago's first tequila cages. The interior combines natural wood accents and iron along with colorful distressed walls and murals to give you the feel of a small town in Mexico nestled in the hustle and bustle of Chicago.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
Taco Joint - Best Restaurants in River North (Chicago) ›
Taco Joint reviews from OpenTable diners
76 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (46)great for outdoor dining (30)fit for foodies (29)great for lunch (29)hot spot (22)vibrant bar scene (22)neighborhood gem (16)late-night find (11)kid-friendly (7)special occasion (5)scenic view (3)romantic (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- nice outdoor lunch spotgirlDined on 9/22/2014The menu had changed since I had last been there so the item I wanted was no longer available. Still has good taco options and the salad was very good. The dressing is outstanding.Special Features:
- Great date night!datenighteatsDined on 9/21/2014Went here on a date and had a great time. The margaritas were awesome, so were the guacs and tacos. Try the Coconut-Lime margarita. So light and delicious.Special Features:
- Extremely noisy for dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014The food was good but it was so hard to have any sort of conversation at the table. Extremely annoying in terms of noise level. There is really no need to play loud music forcing everyone to talk at increased volume, just adds to the noise!Special Features:
- Great Tacos!TeamWalkerDined on 9/20/2014We enjoyed the fun selection of drinks - liked the red sangria a lot! The tacos were excellent. They are small and a la carte so you can try a lot of new tastes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, too loudOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/19/2014Good food, but way too loud on a Friday night. Good for people wanting to drink, laugh, scream and not worry about those around you.Special Features:
- Great Food, Annoying ServiceGalwayGirlDined on 9/13/2014We've been to Taco Joint numerous times. Each visit, we encounter the same overly quick service. We decided to take my parents there last Saturday, and this time, it was too much. You order your food and it comes out very quickly - almost too quickly (you're still working on your chips and guacamole app). Then, fork still in hand, they're removing your plates and the dish of rice and beans (with food still left on your plate!). We will only return if we're looking for a quick meal. You certainly can't plan dinner at Taco Joint as your evening activity.Special Features:
- Delicious, options galore; a must!Danny35Dined on 9/4/2014Great Margaritas with an array of flavors to select from. Baja and Al Pastor tacos a must try. Great scene and location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tacos with a twistBucktownBobVIPDined on 8/23/2014Taco Joint was great! Really inventive tacos, tortas, and such, and a spectacular drink list. A totally different kind of experience than Bigstar (in Wicker Park), but still an enjoyable one! While I thought the number of TVs was a little gratuitous (gratuitously too many, that is), I would come back here in a heartbeat. Don't miss the michelada made with cucumber verdita - so good!Special Features:
- Local FanOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/22/2014We made a reservation but there does not seem to be a system to hold tables for reservations. That is actually an important part of the reservation. We love the place but they should just state they do not take reservations.Special Features:
- ScottieDined on 8/19/2014Wait staff was friendly and kept coming over to see how we were...unlike many other establishments. All service people impressed me. They were not immediately familiar with specials, but they got us the info we were looking for. If you don't like spicy you might want to ask if the dish is spicy or not, bc I got tacos that were spicy and couldn't eat it. Not my thing. I would not return; however, the shrimp taco was delicious, so I will consider returning and trying that again along with other dishes. They have wifi, so woo hoo! And it was a bit warm inside; however, it was a very muggy and hot day, plus the spicy taco was not sitting well with my sweat glands. Good vibrant scene.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/16/2014Too loud for good conversation. If hadn't needed to yell, I would have given it another star.Special Features:
- FoodieVIPDined on 8/2/2014Not a lot to offer on the menu, limited. Many of the dining Tara were bar tables.
- Really fun; great tacos!!!JillybeanDined on 8/1/2014Loved these small filled tacos and loved the $2-$3.50 price range too! The gauc and drinks were really good too. Based off the name I thought we were going to a hole in the wall "taco joint". This place ended up being super cute and fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Taco Joint River NorthGuillermo1215VIPDined on 7/26/2014Casual urban vibe- busy-- unfortunately the good isn't very good- many superior options for Mexican in town- Margaritas weak. Friendly server but we tried four different tacos and all were average
- Good drinks and tacosFoodieVIPDined on 7/23/2014Tacos are good and drinks are good. Great for groups.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/20/2014Love the addition of the aqua frescas; strawberry-hibiscus is outstanding. The chips are bland. They definitely need salt. Good prices. Love the area and coming to Taco Joint now and again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/9/2014I live in the neighborhood and I go to Taco Joint often for dinner if I don't feel like I cooking, if I am meeting a friend, or going out to dinner on a weekend night. It is inexpensive and the food is delicious! The homemade tortillas are amazing. Living in River North, there are few places this good at this price point. I highly recommend this place!Special Features:
- Taco JointelkapitanDined on 7/6/2014fun spot and great tacos! I would definitely recommend Taco Joint for a quick satisfying meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic & good valueGoodFoodGoodWineVIPDined on 7/6/2014Our server, Jesus, was pleasant, attentive and patient as we took awhile to decide what we wanted. We enjoyed a couple of house margaritas, a variety of tacos, chips and salsa, and tortilla soup -- all really good! Outdoor dining was a special treat on a beautiful summer evening.Special Features:
- Lincoln Park location is better25AndHungryDined on 7/6/2014I usually go to the Taco Joint in Lincoln Park, but was at the TJ in River North this last time. I got Sunday's Taco of the day for the first time and it was just okay. I don't know if it was the River North location or the taco, but usually the food is excellent whenever I go to the TJ on Halsted. Our server was nice, but seemed like she didn't want to be there and had no energy. I recommend the LP location, not the RN.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TaconightDined on 7/4/2014I went out to dinner with my wife and sister in law and we descided to get tacos! My wife and her sister are both vegetarian so they had a great vegetarian options! I however had three meat tacos and all three where amazing and unique in there own ways! Great authentic tacos!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Only here for the foodfoodieDined on 6/12/2014The service here is atrocious here every time we visit but I think it says something that we keep coming back for the food. Its a lunch time favorite if you have time to burn. Its almost impossible to get your waiters attention after you get your food and even when you do get the bill it'll be another 15 minutes before its picked back up. If you're looking for a quick lunch this is not the place to go. They did recently take a few of our favorites off the menu, but try the Barbacoa if you get a chanceSpecial Features:
- Cheap and tastyBlancoDined on 6/6/2014Tacos are only 3 bucks and 3 really fills you up. Good guacamole and solid mixed drinks. Cool place but nice and cheapSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great outside seatingsandiVIPDined on 6/5/2014Great lunch here if you don't want to feel like you have to eat huge portions. I split the guac and had 2 tacos, and it was the perfect size. The huac was excellent, and the meat barbacoa taco and pulled pork tacos were spicy and delicious. The thursday special beef barbacoa was the best.Special Features:
- The following 53 reviews are from the Taco Joint reviews archive.
- Not so much…ChipDined on 6/1/2014Had great hopes coming here on a Sunday afternoon. Unfortunately, our experience was really not that great. When we arrive there were only 3 to 4 other tables sat. There were 5 waiters walking around, none of which paid us any attention. We finally had to ask someone to place our order, and when our food finally arrived we realized they'd never brought us our drinks.
- Fantastic TacostravelingeaterDined on 5/31/2014My partner and I went here for lunch on a sunny Saturday afternoon. They only had two servers working, so service was pretty slow but still friendly. We started off with the Mexican street corn and chips & salsa. The street corn had entirely too much mayonnaise. The chips and salsa, on the other hand, were amazing. The chips are a variety of corn, plantain and rutabaga served with a sweet/spicy salsa. We each had a few different tacos. They were all delicious but el pastor was definitely the best. I got a side of fried plantains that were very tasty, nice and crispy on the outside but warm, soft and sweet on the inside - perfect! We ordered a bottle of the chili mango margarita, but it was so sweet we couldn't even finish half of it.Special Features:
- ConsistentJustinEatsDined on 5/17/2014Food is always great 'street style tacos' are plumb with their fillings and very yummy! Don't pass up the Guac treo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jtwyattVIPDined on 5/16/2014need more plantain chips in the chips and salsa basket. Came here for ladies lunch. Everyone loved the food. Will definitely be back and recommending the place.Special Features:
- Could have done better...HattyVIPDined on 5/15/2014Take the Tacos out of Taco Joint and you have a great thing! Poor service pretty much ruins the rest... when asked for margarita recommendation, none given but pointing at a menu. So we chose an "upgraded" margarita... but our waiter who didn't like to communicate with customers, doesn't tell us is has a smoked tequila or liquor of some kind in it. Ruined our entire night... tasted the smoke the next day. If you don't make our mistake, your visit will be fine.
- Great Dinner!alc26Dined on 5/3/2014Had a great time with friends. Staff was amazing and provided great service.Special Features:
- Can't Go Wrong at Taco JointChiDotDined on 4/27/2014The selection of flavors is astounding and the price is right. You can satisfy any cravings with the array of tacos available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Baja Fish Taco, Bad Servicesmithmp76VIPDined on 4/18/2014We enjoyed the Baja Fish Taco, unfortunately we found the Shrimp and Ceviche did not meet our expectations. The service was slow and lacked professionalism.
- Great meal at Taco JointfamilyfoodiesDined on 4/17/2014Great food, excellent service, and lively atmosphere. We were with our 2 teens, and they loved the tacos, especially the pulled pork. I had a sangria, which was outstanding. And we all enjoyed the chips and guacamole. We highly recommend Taco Joint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Below Average Mexican FoodHoyaDinerDined on 4/6/2014I'm at a complete loss for why this restaurant always seems packed on weekends. Tried the rojo guac, three different tacos, and a salad. The best of these was the guac - it was good, but nothing special. Two tacos - a chicken pozole special and a shrimp taco - were both very poor. Flavors were very poorly balanced and not particularly complex. The final taco - a steak taco - was only okay. Again, not very interesting or complex flavors and the meat was very over-cooked. Finally, the salad was little more than a plate of iceberg lettuce and some black beans.
- Great food and drinksMarissaGDined on 4/4/2014The service was quick and the cost per person was very reasonable. We had 2 types of guacamole, salsa and chips to start and then got 2-3 tacos each. Our server was really helpful, friendly, and patient with us as we were having trouble choosing from all the options. I had been to the Lincoln Park location before and was equally satisfied with the River North location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good tacos, weak margsnewtochiDined on 4/4/2014Being from Texas, I love my margaritas. Unfortunately, Taco Joint's margs have minimal, if any, tequila in them. The two of us shared a pitcher of the standard frozen margarita (about 5 full margaritas) and felt less than tipsy afterward. As I am 5'2" and 100 lbs, I am used to feeling pretty good after one or two margaritas. Other than that we really loved the food. Shared the choriza queso fundito as an appetizer (definitely recommend!) and each had two tacos of our own. The tacos are small so you have to get at least two with an appetizer or three with a side. Definitely recommend this place, but if you are drinking alcohol, I would stick to beer or tequila shots!Special Features:
- good food GREAT SERVICENadiDDined on 4/2/2014The tacos were the perfect size for me. I love the estilo baja taco, my favorite! The service was great. The waiter was nice and attentive. This was my second visit to taco joint in one week and I'm ready to go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bartender was slow and seemedNickyCVIPDined on 3/27/2014Bartender was slow and seemed annoyed to have to make drinks. Service was much better last time we were there. Maybe understaffed this time as it took 10 minutes after we were seated for someone to even approach our table. The table next to us said they had the same problem and offered us sssome of their pitcher of margaritas.The server was friendly just too many tables. After dinner, went to the bar for a drink and it was nearly empty but the bartender was ignoring us and then took way too long to make a margarita and grab a can of beer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timerdiceman22VIPDined on 3/27/2014Great food, fantastic drinks! Can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty tacosMomcatDined on 3/22/2014We enjoyed our first visit to Taco Joint. We had a Groupon for a taco flight, which included a choice of six apiece. The were all very good, with generous portions, as were the margaritas and choices of guacamole. The desserts were also great--the flan was the perfect texture. Make sure you get credit for the Groupon--our server forgot to deduct it and had to redo our bill. Otherwise the servicw was fine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.