2892 South Coast Highway
Laguna Beach, CA 92651Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.tabugrill.com/
- Phone: 9494947743
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Kevin Jerrold-Jones
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Tabu Grill is small; however we just added another room that can handle up to 24 people. This room is offered for wine dinners, private events, and celebrations. Sunday-Thursday with a pre-set menu.
- Private Party Contact: Nancy Wilhelm 9494947743
- Cross Street: Nye's Place
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: We have parking in the structure under the offices at the signal at the Nyes Place. The entrance to the parking is low, be careful with your SUVs. We also have some limited parking behind the restaurant (turn on to Hinkle Street from PCH) Street parking is available. If both lots are full. Please don't park on Terry Road behind the restaurant.
A word from Tabu Grill
Take an adventure to Tabu Grill. Tabu has a “hip” vibe, called by some as an upscale "Tiki Hut." You won’t want to miss the grilled Mexican diver scallops, served with Potato Puree, Tangerine Beurre Blanc, and citrus baby greens. One of the local favorites is the yellow fin poke, with mango, celery, avocado, and mint, served with soy ginger taro root. If it’s steak your appetite is longing for, our 16 ounce prime bone-in rib eye served with forbidden rice risotto, caramelized chippolini onions, forest mushrooms, chanterelle cream will satisfy your craving.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerCalifornian
Tabu Grill - Best Restaurants in Laguna Beach ›
Tabu Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
64 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (45)neighborhood gem (38)romantic (37)special occasion (35)notable wine list (17)hot spot (11)great for outdoor dining (7)good for groups (6)scenic view (3)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Lovely dining experienceLschapiDined on 9/26/2014A quaint intimate ambiance with a unique flair in preparation. Lovely staff that was extremely knowledgeable .you can watch the expert preparation and see the care that went into ever dish. Presentation was lovely. Would good. Would definitely go again next visit to Lqguna Beach!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/20/2014We stopped in for an early dinner after a day of shopping in Laguna Beach. We decided to share a few small plates. Each were outstanding. We had Scallops, Pork Belly and Short Ribs. We sat at the bar, where the chef and sous chef are cooking, it's quite a show! We struck up a conversation with the sous chef and she also gave us a taste of the gnocchi on the house. Was also delicious. Server was delightful, wine list was great. Outstanding experience.Special Features:
- Fantastic Food FlavorJLM63VIPDined on 9/19/2014My wife and I stayed nearby and walked to this Laguna Beach restaurant. I had the Heirloom Tomato appetizer which had a fine flavor but wasn't far from what you'd expect. My wife had the sears sole and it was delicious and light. I chose the sea bass and can say with no hesitation that it was the best of that fish I've ever enjoyed. Good portion size but not oversized. Desserts were the banana bread and the flour less chocolate cake. Both were great, but the ice cream served with both was the surprise. No bar but adequate beer and wine selection. Definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointslagunafoodboyDined on 9/13/2014We seem to end up at Tabu about every 4 months of so. We had some friends in from out of town and wanted a place we knew would be a great experience. Tabu never disappoints. The ambiance is great. The service is exceptional. The food was very tasty and well prepared. Overall, in a town where most good restaurants are inconsistent, Tabu is a an pleasant exception.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in townRickDined on 9/7/2014My wife and I like to escape to Laguna often, Tabu is the best we have found.Special Features:
- Still a gemFitfoodieDined on 9/6/2014We have not been at Tabu for several years, but had very fond memories of our prior experiences. With having some friends from out of town, who we're staying in Dana Point, and appreciate good food - we wanted to go somewhere where we could actually carry on a conversation. From the beginning to the end - our service was impeccable. The food was still as good as we remembered, and the owner as charming as ever. Having some dietary allergies - I am always not sure how a restaurant would respond; Tabu was spot on, and accommodated my requests.Special Features:
- Well DoneOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/30/2014My lady and I dined at Tabu last Saturday and it was fabulous! One of the best meals I have had in Southern California. The Pork Belly and the Pork chops are a must for the pork lover! My lady had the chicken and she loved it! She usually does not order chicken too. I would recommend Tabu to close friends and family without a doubt!Special Features:
- SurprisedRedheddyDined on 8/30/2014We have driven by so many times and finally made reservations. To our surprise the food was outstanding. Every bite was delicious. Everyone was very friendly. A little pricey but worth it. Will go back soon. It is quite intimate and dark inside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always satisfied!GenevieveCVIPDined on 8/28/2014This is one of our favorite spots in SoCal! Whether its a special occasion, date night or we are entertaining guests. Tabu Grill is always on point!Special Features:
- Truly specialLuv2eatVIPDined on 8/23/2014Tabu is a small restaurant serving excellent food. Pork belly, lamb, short rib are great entrées. Grilled Caesar salad and scallops are great starters. Great ambiance!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very good food, but overpricedrobinocVIPDined on 8/23/2014When I made our reservation, I requested "nice table please". When we arrived, friends had already been seated at our table- the very worst table in the place- in the back, next to door to the restrooms- even though other tables sat empty for over an hour. menu is limited, and has gone up. My sea bass was excellent but at $46, should have been larger and had more sides Just some vegetables in a broth that were tasty, but on the small side. Chicken was $34 and tasty, but not great. We had a gnocchi beforehand, and while gnocchi was out of this world, did not care for the sauce it was in- a pesto sweet sauce. The flourless chocolate cake was one of the best I have had. Too bad we had such a bad tableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best of LagunaMbren530VIPDined on 8/20/2014Beet salad with goat cheese baklava was superb. Don't miss it. Scallops and sea bass were terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Instant FavoriteFoodfanVIPDined on 8/16/2014We were in the area for the weekend and looking for a romantic dining experience. This proved to be one the the best finds. We would recommend this restaurant due to the food alone, Fantastic.Special Features:
- Superb FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/15/2014Great place to set and friendl service. If you are in Laguna beach don't miss this placeSpecial Features:
- Great find In Laguna BeachDotsterDined on 8/11/2014The place was outstanding. We stopped in for an early dinner before going to the Pagent of the Masters. The owner and wait staff were just amazing. The food was OUTSTANDING. When visiting Laguna we will definitely be back and sample more of their outstanding cuisine. We went with the sample tasting menu because we didn't have a lot of time and it was just incredible. Go here you will NOT be disappointed and will have wonderful memories.Special Features:
- Fantastic all aroundGourmetSeekerVIPDined on 8/2/2014The best food, service, ambiance and presentation. Was recommended to us by a local and was definitely worth a try! If you are in Laguna Beach it's a must! Gnocchi is one of the best I've ever had. Scallops are outstanding. Short rib one of a kind. Beet salad delicious and creative. Desert is heaven. We are coming back again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- laguDined on 8/2/2014even though we had an excellent table there were many "continental seating" tables where on person is looking into a blank wall and those tables were close togetherSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wish it could be kept a secret!SunsetPigDined on 7/26/2014We live nearby and walk over and always leave there feeling so grateful and blessed to have this gem of a restaurant so close to us. We're consistently impressed with both the food and the highest quality in service. The staff are class acts themselves, everyone here is a foodie and appreciates the entire experience from start to finish....Nancy the owner is just lovely and a great restauranteur.Special Features:
- Dining here is not TabuSantaluzerDined on 7/26/2014A great find in Laguna Beach. We were visiting to celebrate our anniversary and a little online research and a recommendation from our B & B made this an easy choice. Tabu is at the Southern end of Laguna and the food was great. The wait staff including the owners were amazing and the best part of the experience.Special Features:
- Slightly disappointedLovefoodDined on 7/12/2014After reading the reviews and seeing the Zagat rating, we had high hopes. Unfortunately, it was not up to par. The Caesar salad lacked flavor and my husbands filet mignon was lukewarm but tasted good. Our friends had the salmon and pork chop. The salmon was outstanding but the pork chop was ok. We also ordered the Mac and Cheese....save your money!
- Hmmm- ok, but...OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/12/2014We were staying in town and walked to the Tabu for dinner. The location is unique... However while the food was ok-good, the presention was good-very good, the price was extreme. As it happened, the next night I had a dinner for a larger number of people a few miles away in Dana Point and found the other restaurant to be a much nicer environment - and much less expensive. I would rate the food and service at both to be about the same - and Dana Point also had a spectacular view too, I would not recommend it.Special Features:
- Our Anniversary spotMikesexton3Dined on 7/10/2014Felt at home from the first moment I walked in the door. The food is always amazing and the service is perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingSocountyfoodieDined on 6/21/2014Great ambience, courteous wait staff and outstanding food!Special Features:
- Tabu?Koz1VIPDined on 6/19/2014The food was cooked well , and the quaility of the meats were good. The menu had alot of heavy dishes with root vegetables , purees that one would expect in winter not summer. Have hesrd this was a great spot for years , but the lack of imagination with the menu will keep us from returning.
- Best food in Laguna BeachmarcosDined on 6/12/2014Wow !! I ate at Tabu Grill Thursday night and I once again found out why it has been Laguna's number one restaurant. Nancy and her staff get it. Friendly staff and unbelievable chef who always has something incredible up his sleeve. I had the pork belly to start and I think I actually hallucinated while eating it. It was amazing as were the scallops and Filet. If you haven't been here you must go....MarkSpecial Features:
- Good food but way too expensiveAnneeDined on 6/10/2014There was really nothing to complain about until the bill arrived. It was twice as expensive as a comparable restaurant in Laguna. There's too much competition in Laguna to charge outrageous prices.Special Features:
- The following 332 reviews are from the Tabu Grill reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/25/2014Really enjoy the food, service and decor but it all comes at a very high price!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BeebopBeeBopDined on 5/24/2014Excellent appetizer and entree. Prompt service especially refilling the water. Fun ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!coopsterVIPDined on 5/22/2014Great neighborhood restaurant in south Laguna beach Delicious food, exotic decor , quiet friendly ambience We will be back!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We will come back for moreLoverlyDined on 5/16/2014This is a hidden gem. It was not crowded and it is away from the traffic and congestion of downtown Laguna Beach. Great food. Very tasty. Had the pork chop with pork belly, wow. Also had the special which was salmon. Both were delicious.Special Features:
- Very tasty!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/9/2014After a nice walk over from the Montage (mostly all on sidewalk except for the last 100 yards) we had an excellent meal here. We decided on a starter each, and then split the 14oz rib eye - a perfect amount of food. The tuna poke was excellent, but the real stand out was the house made gnocchi. The mix of thai basil pesto, sweet corn, hazelnut brittle was a fantastic mix of sweet, salty, and savory that was almost life-changing. DO NOT MISS this dish. The brown-butter banana bread was an excellent way to finish the meal. The wine list had good variety, and was very reasonable ($50-$100)Special Features:
- Polynesian FusionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/9/2014The food was delicious with spectacular flavor surpassed only by the presentation. Each dish was almost too beautiful to eat. The service was excellent and very friendly and accommodating. The food, ambiance, and service made it the perfect romantic evening for the special evening with my special someone.Special Features:
- Exceptional eveningCapitainDined on 4/25/2014This was the best dining experience ever. Service was wonderful. Food was exceptional ... Worth the trip from Toronto! Highly recommend the fillet mignon and the gnocchi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tabu FinddineDined on 4/12/2014Never a disappointment. Soups are ouf of this world. Entree's are always a delight and this time we had the banana cake for desert....incredible!Special Features:
- Excellent food with wine pairing!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/6/2014Pleasant setting with outstanding service, more importantly, the food with wine pairing was creative and delicious. We had a wonderful dinning experience there! Would love to return ......Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy taste budsGeoffVIPDined on 4/4/2014Great food; terrific variety; thoughtful, wine list with helpful descriptions;Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A romantic gem with amazing foodTeraDined on 4/4/2014We were celebrating my husband's birthday and were looking for a great meal in a setting that invited conversation. Tabu menu is meticulously selected and each dish was carefully crafted and every flavor deliciously match. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone who loves quality food and enjoys a romantic yet worldly setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love the food and serviceRoseVIPDined on 3/29/2014I love the food and service at Tabu. Tabu has the best lamb chops and short ribs. Recently, I did not appreciate being charged $1.00 per person for regular tap water. I hope this charge is discontinued--good will is important.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!MarcDined on 3/15/2014Tabu Grill is a great place! Everything feels right - the atmosphere, the food, and the service. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Tabu FooddineDined on 3/13/2014Food was excellent. Can't say enough about what a fantastic experience it was to dine at Tabu. Califlower soup was out of this world. Scallops, Filet and flourless cake earned top marks as well.Special Features: