773 10th Avenue
New York, NY 10019Neighborhood:
Middle EasternPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://taboononline.com/
- Phone: (212) 713-0271
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:30pm, Sunday: brunch 11am - 3:30pm, dinner 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Middle Eastern
- Executive Chef: Haim Cohen
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We can provide semi-private or full use of the restaurant for your party.
- Private Party Contact: Ayala Hodak 2127130271
- Entertainment: Monday nights are "Flamenco Chill," featuring live Flamenco music from guitarist Hernan Romero at 8pm.
- Cross Street: 52nd Street
- Public Transit: C and E trains at 50th Street, 1 train at 50th Street and B and D trains at 7th Avenue.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: A public lot is available on 51st or 53rd Street between 10th and 11th Avenues. Street parking is available in front of the restaurant after 7:00pm and on side streets after 6:00pm.
A word from Taboon
Taboon means "oven" in Arabic. Considered the heart of our restaurant, the wood fired Taboon oven delivers freshly prepared specialties that are exotic, healthful and full of flavor. Our trademark "Middle Terranean" cuisine blends the traditions of the Mediterranean with Middle Eastern cuisine using French techniques to create dishes that are uniquely delicious. Visit us at 773 10th Avenue, at the corner of 52nd Street, just steps away from the Theater District to find out what everyone's talking about. And ask us about our brand new PRE-THEATRE PRIX FIXE MENU! Reserve a table with us between 5pm and 6:30pm Monday through Friday and enjoy 3 courses accompanied by our famous fresh-baked-to-order foccacia for only $35 per person!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Taboon reviews from OpenTable diners
174 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (106)neighborhood gem (98)romantic (60)special occasion (45)good for groups (32)great for outdoor dining (25)hot spot (20)vibrant bar scene (19)great for brunch (18)notable wine list (16)late-night find (16)great for lunch (12)kid-friendly (7)scenic view (1)Show More
- always great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/23/2014Great food, great service and nice atmosphere. Every time I am there the food is consistently excellent. Brunch and dinner are both great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food & serviceBack2NYCVIPDined on 11/22/2014The chef should be somewhat more flexible about allowing substitution- some of us have food sensitivities.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Taboon!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/21/2014Food is amazing and there are lots of options for vegetarians and meat eaters alike. The cocktails are also very high quality and the wine list has unique bottles from Greece and Israel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Do not missveggienorbVIPDined on 11/19/2014This is a really great restaurant, food is delicious, focaccia bread and the sampler appetizer is an absolute must, and all in our party of four walked out very happy with the experience. Will return frequently.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Taboon is a great place to eatMHerzDined on 11/19/2014Taboon has become one of our favorite restaurants. It is the best nouvelle middle eastern place in the city in our opinion. There is nothing on the menu that we wouldn't recommend. That said its pricing is commensurate with a top flight Manhattan eatery, so don't go there expecting a bargain. Every time we go we seem to order the Sambusak a flat bread with a feta filling. Jalapenos are used to give it a slightly picante bent. We also usually have a order of the plain flat bread with a trio of dips. A great accompaniment to this is one of the cocktails from the bar. The mixed drinks tend to the exotic with middle eastern ingredients. I stick to my core liquors (gin and tequila) as does my wife (gin and bourbon). Obviously this is not a night for carb counting. The salads are all good but focus on the core ingredients and can be quite sparing with the greens. For the main course the Lamb Duo is an excellent dish with two small chops and two kebabs. Everything is well seasoned and beautifully prepared. Again everything that we have had is good so get what appeals to you most. We usually are too full for dessert, but when we are so inclined we recommend the Date Sponge Cake. I'm sure the other items are good too. The staff is young and generally warm, friendly, and helpful. Can't wait to go back (which we will in about 10 days).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 11/16/2014Food is great. appetizers could be a little larger. Servers don't give the prices for specials.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Restaurant with a Middle Eastern FlarelovetodineDined on 11/15/2014It's hard to find a high quality restaurant in and around the theater district. Taboon is a wonderful place with very good Middle Eastern Flare. Salads, fish, lamb were all excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- could be betterdiningloverVIPDined on 11/14/2014the restaurant configuration is cumbersome. we had to stand near the door and our table was right at the door so when people would go in and out the curtain billowed. and the heat of the oven reached the table. food was good, hangar steak was a bit fattier than prior there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Middle Eastern dishesmsgnhDined on 11/9/2014We enjoyed a Sunday brunch. We enjoyed the uniqueness of our dishes. Their flatbread is famous and delicious. The food had a bit of spiciness to it, but not excessive. Service was good although we were ahead of the brunch rush with a 11 am reservation. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- GOOD FOODOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/8/2014Great food, good service and excellent menu options. Check in is a little hard to find but loved the place.Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/8/2014We had a reservation for 6 on a Saturday night. We had to wait a half hour for our 7:30pm reservation as a group of women lingered at their table taking photos and chatting after having paid their bill. There's really no place for 6 people to stand and wait for a table, so we were constantly jostled by waiters and diners. No one offered us anything during the wait. Nor did they apologize. Dinner: the appetizers were mixed. Taboon's trio (their amazing bread and dips), the kale and pear salad, grilled octopus and cauliflower soup were fantastic. However, the halumi salad, which came highly recommended, was uninspiring and bland. The entrees were disappointing. The branzino and chicken taboon were very dry.
- Taboon: Peaks & ValleysBruceinhudsonDined on 11/4/2014We had high expectations walking into Taboon, a Mediterranean/Middle-Eastern fusion kitchen. Our amuse-bouche of hummus, tzaziki and baba ghanoush were, like the overall dining experience, mixed. The baba and tatziki were superb. The hummus was lacking: too rich in tahini and lacking in the lemon tang. Their signature house focaccia was the best I've ever experienced - even better than Rome, Italy. The main Kube an interesting take on Kibbe but the execution was sloppy: overly oiled seasoning. On the other hand the grilled octopus and lamb rack soared! However the beet salad was a disaster: overly slathered in the house dressing there was little to do but send it back. This restaurant is certainly worth a second look and we will return.Special Features:
- Great food!Wow42Dined on 11/4/2014We had a very nice dinner, food was delicious, waitress was extremely nice, no complaints! Just that it is not cheap so unfortunately can't go there often...I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not to be missed.DeliarkDined on 11/2/2014I go there every opportunity I get and am never disappointed. The staff are so well trained and warm. The atmosphere with the open Taboon Oven is so attractive and the menu every time delicious and original.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliably DeliciousPlaysInPeoriaDined on 10/27/2014Taboon does what it does right. The dishes doesn't seem to change substantially very often, but maybe they don't need to. The breads and mezze are excellent (I like the schug, tzatziki, and the baba ghanoush). The salads are also spot on (especially the kale salad I had the other night with roasted pear). As a vegetarian, I am perfectly satisfied returning time and again to the vegetarian grill which is good because there aren't many other meatless options among the mains. The service is always attentive and friendly, knowledgable about the food. Never tire of Taboon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique great foodDanoDined on 10/25/2014Their creativity with the wood oven makes their twist to Mediterranean food delicious and uniqueSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- we go regularlyMichaelVIPDined on 10/25/2014really like the food and service, not far from the theater district and easy to get out of the city afterwards, we have been many times and it is always goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Off night?Jude8VIPDined on 10/23/2014Taboon has been one of my top three favorite restaurants in the city for a number of years. The experience has always been perfect… amazing food, great service, inventive cocktails and a beautiful room. I took a client there the other night and am sad to say that, although the food was good, it wasn't up to par. We started with meze. The dips were good but the focaccia was dry and the texture off… The fish of the night, snapper, was good, not great and the hanger steak was tough and chewy… not the melt-in-your-mouth steak of the past. The dessert was outstanding…a sort of panna cotta with blueberries. I will go back again and hope that they get the kitchen back up to the perfection has always been in the past.Special Features:
- agordongirlDined on 10/23/2014Dinner was delicious and service was excellent. Looking forward to returning soon.Special Features:
- Very disappointing!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/16/2014I was with a friend in the neighborhood, we decided to look for a restaurant in the area. So we choose Taboon for its Mediterranean cuisine. Very disappointing dining experience. The quality of food was very mediocre, definitely not worth the price... I would not recommend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014First time there. It was a great place for a romantic dinner. Quite and had enough room to be private. Loved it and the food was excellent! Service was excellent and I'll be returning in the future!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CathDined on 10/11/2014Creative "Middle East-erranean." Friendly staff. Open setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!KeharrisDined on 10/9/2014Excellent! Food service atmosphere, spot on! Great place for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectionBearVIPDined on 10/7/2014Every detail was perfect. Great waitress and food was perfection.Special Features:
- Taboon is greatUESguyDined on 10/5/2014This was my second time dining at Taboon. We enjoyed our lunch. I really like the Halumi eggs (eggs served in a skillet with traditional Mediterranean garnishes and Halumi cheese), but the best part is the amazing desert! An absolutely fantastic place, but the service could be a bit better (was fine on our first visit, was lacking the second time- maybe it was just one of those days...) but don't let this stop you from visiting and enjoying a true gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Foodzeus50VIPDined on 10/3/2014Taboon had such an interesting and delicious menu. Our server was excellent in recommending the highlighted dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Falls short on the entreesOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/3/2014We live in the neighborhood and had been meaning to try Taboom forever. Lovely atmosphere, if a tad loud, and very friendly waitress. However, for a restaurant of this caliber, fatty, gristly lamb chops (the priciest entree on the menu, at $36) are unacceptable. The "vegetarian grill" was similarly disappointing, with greasy vegetables and a handful of greasy dumplings purporting to be gnocchi. Homemade bread was excellent. We'd go back for wine, bread and hummus, but wouldn't waste our money on another full meal here. 44 and X down the road is a better choice.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/3/2014food great, tables too close together and low ceilings caused a high noise level.Special Features:
- A FavoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/30/2014I travel to NY often for work. Taboon is a favorite place to go because of it's wonderful menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A disappointing eveningRalphknowsDined on 9/28/2014After dining at Taboon many times, we were disappointed by the ineptitude of our waitress. She was being "trained" and really didn't know what she was doing. After several mishaps, including a cold dish that was supposed to be hot and a incorrect cocktail, we complained to one of the hostesses, and received an experience waitress, who was most professional. However, we thought the use of someone new should be closely supervised until she had proven herself.Special Features:
- Hell's Kitchen Hot Oven DelightOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/28/2014Second time having brunch at Taboon in a month. On both occasions all the staff were gracious and accommodating. The unique cocktail list is inventive and delicious; I love the Nefertiti's Kiss cocktail - delicious. I must try for dinner. I am sure it will not disappoint!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lookingforspecialmealsVIPDined on 9/20/2014Lovely atmosphere, with good food - we really appreciate that the tables are not crammed together!Special Features:
- Great service!gingerbeertrickDined on 9/19/2014Our server was fantastic and friendly. Part of our party arrived very late, and we needed to leave in short order to see a play, but she was great about making sure our dishes came out quickly and even giving us time updates towards the end of the (very delicious) meal. Bonus points for an excellent foie gras, which was very much enjoyed by our Californian guests.Special Features:
- Delicious Mediterranean foodFoodwomanVIPDined on 9/15/2014Always fabulous., delicious. Makes me wish we could eat there more often. Only complaint is that I wish they would give a larger portion of Tzatizki for $4. Charge $5 and double the size.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FJMFrankDined on 9/13/2014Overall good food but very spotty service. Our server disappeared from time to time. We had to flag her down to order coffee well after our dessert was finished. Also, our server recommended the lamb chops medium rare - I would have called them raw. Disappointed.
- great pre theatreilovetheatreDined on 9/13/2014The food was tasty. Well presented, quite delicious. The servers were knowledgeable and attentive and mindful of our time constraints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/13/2014We arrived ten minutes late to our reservation, and our table had already been given away. We sat at the bar instead, which was fine, but if they are really so strict about their reservation times they should make it known ahead of time. Usually there is a 15 min grace period. Service was friendly, especially the lovely bartender. The food was good, especially the Zucchini cakes, if not amazing. A decent dinner, but there's more exciting Middle Eastern/Levantine food elsewhere in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rock solid.PaulDined on 9/8/2014This place is a neighborhood gem. The bread is off the charts!Special Features:
- Excellent FoodElaineVIPDined on 9/7/2014Fit for foodies special menu. Everything was excellent including the wine.Special Features:
- As always, excellent!NYCTINADined on 9/6/2014The ceviche is out of this world, and the bread is on my list of "If I had only one last meal....."Special Features: