1181 Melville Street
Vancouver, BC V6E 0A3Neighborhood:
Contemporary FrenchPrice: CAN$30 and under
Tableau Bar Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.tableaubarbistro.com/
- Phone: 6046398692x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday thru Friday 11:30am-2:30pm
Dinner: Monday thru Saturday 5:00pm - 10:30pm
Brunch: Sunday 10:00am-3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French, Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Marc-André Choquette
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: For catering requests, please contact email@example.com
- Special Events: For special events, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
A neighbourhood bar bistro – serving an updated take on traditional French bistro fare prepared by Executive Chef Marc-André Choquette and his talented team.
Discover a beautifully renovated interior that combines old world classic bistro elements with modern touches and a French-inspired menu that blends classic culinary flavours of Paris with the use of fresh west coast ingredients.
A dynamic bar scene serves seasonal in-house and classic cocktails and a great selection of local and draft beers on tap as well as an eclectic mix of approachable wines built from the regions of France.
The perfect place for a business lunch, meeting friends out on the patio, everyday dining, special celebrations or brunch with the family.
Come for the scene. Stay for the service. Return for the fare.
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
- Price qualityBelgiumDined on 10/17/2014Claming to be a french bistro... cook should visit some French Bistros to understand and learn how French Bistros cook their food, which kind of meals they offer. 3rd time I had dinner here, and this was my worst experience since.Special Features:
- Good...butFOODIEDined on 10/17/2014I am a non drinker. I have been too tableau three times now and each time I have asked for non alcoholic beer and they have not had any. Won't go back if they can't buy someSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/15/2014I found the food portions were quite small even though it was tasty. I had the pappardelle and if the portion was more like Italian Kitchen, I would have been pretty happy. The ambience was good and service was fine. The overall menu selection was a bit skimpy.Special Features:
- Sunday BruchTurboDined on 10/5/2014Amazing chicken and waffles...topped with gravy and syrup for an incredible savoury / sweet flavour. Wife had the eggs Benedict and it did not disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceMonaDined on 10/4/2014We arrived and were promptly seated. Our server was very cordial and accommodating. The French onion soup is fabulous! The Saturday night special of Short Ribs are to die for ( like butter, so tender). Finally was able to try the Trout ( was sold out last dine ) and it was done to standard. The skin was crispy perfection, and fish was moist.Special Features:
- bogiDined on 10/3/2014Good food and service. Very noise though. Good for groups but don't try to bring a date to this place. Might not impress her.Special Features:
- Always awesomeMicheleDined on 10/3/2014The food at Tableau never disappoints. The specials are always inspired (I loved the maple pecan tart dessert) and the service is great. We always get the amazing French blonde waitress (I should know her name). Best server ever. It was my colleague's birthday last week. She made it special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for a business lunchbmarieVIPDined on 10/2/2014I often reserve at Tableau for a business lunch. This restaurant is near my office and the food and service are always excellent. Check it out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service disbeliefcdubDined on 9/30/2014I frequent this place a few times a year, but never have I encountered the service I did during my last visit. I made it clear to the hostess we had three instead of four guests and one would be late. The waiter asked us about water and did not come back until 40 min later when I waved him down. I never have to do this in a Caucasian restaurant. We were not offered bread, or given the speech on features, or asked if we wanted to order any appys while waiting. It was hard to even get any attention. I had a question about the seafood platter, which was answered, but wasn't asked if I wanted to order it. He just went away. It was supposed to be a special birthday day, but it was ruined and I am never coming back...
- AmazingVemenzDined on 9/27/2014The food was incredible and I can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- divineinvancouverDined on 9/26/2014Fabulous little French bistro--you'll feel transported to Paris! Wonderful food, attention to details ( I have a wheat allergy) and I'm always guided to safe choices. Service was wonderful & the lady we had wait on us (sorry, I don't know her name) had a pleasing French accent & was most pleasant. I enjoyed the asparagus soup & a lovely salad nicoise. My daughter had the steak tartar. We were both pleased with our choices! I love this place for lunch but have had a nice pre-theatre dinner here and the atmosphere was rather romantic, I thought at night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- French Canadian CuisineLawrenceDined on 9/24/2014The steak frites was really great... It melts in your mouth and is easy to swallow.Special Features:
- Great starters, disappointing mainsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/24/2014Tableau has a great casual French feel with excellent cocktails. It is rather confused, however, with pictures and videos of Marilyn Monroe playing - when I asked the waiter her connection to the French theme, he did not have an answer (nor was his English tip top, and when I spoke to him in French - I'm bilingual - he continued to respond in heavily accented English as if to say his English was better than my French. I suppose the snobbery comes with the French restaurant). A starter of French onion soup set my expectations high - wonderful. However both mains ordered were disappointing - overcooked (severely) halibut and a confused duck confit with coleslaw - I've lived in and traveled through France and never seen coleslaw on a menu.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The worst service i have ever gotVanchicDined on 9/23/2014We waited 45 min before our server took our drink order which we decided to oder our food. Never once came back to aske how our food was. Totally forgot our bread and when we asked, didn't say anything just turned her back and dropped us the bread without a word. When we paid, that's the only time she saud thanks and left.
- FoodYorkDined on 9/23/2014The pork special was excellent. The meat was very tender. I will definitely recommend it.Special Features:
- luv2eatVIPDined on 9/22/2014Food and service 10 out of 10!! Love the cocktail 1181 Used to be full to the top this time not so? so good love it full.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/18/2014the service was disappointing. Server forgot drink, did not excuse himself for "his reach"-almost got his hand in the face. It's a good thing it was not our first time at Tableau, otherwise I would reconsider going again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ConsistentAnnickVIPDined on 9/16/2014Always good, always a pleasure to go back there. Service was a bit on the snobish side but food is consistent and always good.Special Features:
- Steak & FritesSaorsaDined on 9/13/2014Great wee restaurant with wonderful service. Had the steak & frites / and French onion soup. Magic. My wife had the Saturday special which was especially good. Waiter was lovely. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Heirloom tomato saladElle2beeDined on 9/11/2014I started with the heirloom tomato salad and it was amazing. I don't normally rave about tomatoes, but these were special. I had the halibut for the main and it came with a sweet corn purée which was surprisingly tangy. Would definitely recommend both. The wine list wasn't up to date so we weren't able to get the bottle of the rosé we initially ordered, but our second choice was fantastic. Great date spot! Seating is a but right, but this is to be expected at a French bistro. Good value as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Très bon!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/11/2014I love Vancouver's food scene. If you want to impress someone with good French cuisine, well-priced and always fresh invite them to Tableau.Special Features:
- Tasty TableauParfaiteDined on 9/10/2014Even though I have been taking friends to Le Tableau for quite some time, the food is still delicious and the service friendly and efficient. I have never waited long for my food to come (which is important on work lunches) and every part of the meal, starter, main and dessert, is enjoyable. I highly recommend this place for lunch or dinner, its a great little spot in town. Enjoy!Special Features:
- Excellent food great lunch spotYukonDined on 9/10/2014I have dined here on several occasions and it has become one of my 'go to' spots downtown. Food is fantastic and I really like the menu and décor.Special Features:
- JudeDined on 9/8/2014My second visit to Tableau was as lovely as the first. For me, it is a perfect location to take a special friend or business associate for a luncheon. A French bistro with classic touch. The menu is inventive without being pretentious and easy to share one or more plates if desired. The wait staff are gracious and knowledgeable. I really enjoyed my visit and will return for dinner soon. I love the wall of framed prints - nicely done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Sunday brunchBrunchloverDined on 9/7/2014Fantastic Sunday brunch. I went with two friends and we all had great meals. They have some options that aren't on the typical brunch menu like the mushrooms on toast which was great. Too bad they only have brunch on Sunday.Special Features:
- AverageSusanDined on 9/5/2014This restaurant was ok. Nothing particularly special. Food was good, but not amazing.
- Very nice!NiMoVIPDined on 8/24/2014I took a friend visiting from North Carolina. She was exhausted after running the SeaWheeze half marathon and wanted a quaint place for brunch. We got that and more! The menu has many wonderful choices. We recommend the egg with duck.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- we4luvtoeatoutwe4luvtoeatoutDined on 8/23/2014Nice location with easy access from downtown.The menu has a great selection of local food ,love their idea of everyday specials which gives you the chance to sample new things.The ambiance is nice and cozy ,very relaxingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic French BistroMarieDined on 8/23/2014This was my 2nd visit to Tableau and it was just as good as the first!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mealtorontoboyDined on 8/22/2014Tableau is consistently good. Great food. Fun, well designed interior. Great staff and service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- goodbooscuisineDined on 8/21/2014Service was great...and the food was good. But our steak was cold. Will go back and try again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/20/2014Great service! The pasta I had was not too heavy, but was delicious. I only wish one thing- that the food presentation matched the quality of the food itself. But that's a minor thing- I definitely want to go back.Special Features:
- Good Food...excellent serviceCharDined on 8/20/2014Food was delicious, waiter was well versed in menu, his timing impeccable and never once did we feel rushed or pushed into ordering alcohol. I would recommend this a a good spot for a lunch with a client, a romatic dinner with someone special or a late night patio with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/18/2014We had a very average to above average meal here. The onion soup is delicious, everything else was decent but no standouts. However, we had a very rude waiter and not great service. People next to us sat AFTER us, ordered AFTER us and got bread and drinks brought to them almost 10 minutes before we did! The space is beautiful though, great ambiance however, it did not make up for what ended up being a pretty average meal. Wouldn't go back.Special Features:
- richibiDined on 8/17/2014this is, flat out, one of the best restaurants in Vancouver right now, from the cloth table napkins, soft blue and white, and spotless, through the rabbit terrine I had with olives and peanuts, delicious, inventive, their eggs Benedict with brisket rather than ham, yolks a van Gogh orange, obviously organic, to the Chenin Blanc that accompanied generous rivulets of my Hollandaise my companions were equally delighted with their choices an incident occurred, my mom sent a glass of red wine crashing to the floor perilously close to another table, glass flew under the party's chairs, the staff was utterly professional, not at all discomfited, offering even to replace my mom's spilt wine we were greatly impressed, we'll be back very soonSpecial Features:
- not so goodcestmoiDined on 8/13/2014I've eaten here before and always had great food . This time not so much...appetizers of salmon tartare and steak tartare were both good, although the beef was quite coarsely chopped Steak frites was ok but was undercooked for how it was ordered, that turned into a blessing in disguise.Main problem was the duck confit...described by the server as being served with a coleslaw salad, bit odd we thought so reconfirmed that. My wife ordered it, bad choice.We've had confit all over the world.The portion was exceptionally small, less than 4 ounces of meat, was covered in a mustard type sauce that was not included in the description and my wife couldn't eat that.The coleslaw was whole baby carrots with cabbage, my wife ate that and my steak.Sad!
- Lives up to the reviews!OllieDined on 8/12/2014Our server Julien was prompt, friendly and knowledgeable. We both had the heirloom tomato salad (a special) - it was excellent and the battered zuccini flower was fabulous! The steak frites, cooked exactly as ordered (take note Gotham) was nicely sliced and presented. The frites were HOT and delicious. The only minor disappointment was the watercress which I believe was spinach . . no dressing, overwhelmed by the nicely seasoned steak. The lobster and clam linguini. . .delicious. Our server was attentive and made sure the wine and water glasses were full throughout the meal. As I was driving I had limited myself to one glass of wine but found the server's offer of a top up at the end of the evening very thoughtful (declined!).Special Features:
- Upscale bistroOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/12/2014Entrée was phenomenal! French food meets Paula deen...fried chicken like never before. Fish cakes were lacking the 'fish' element...and could've used a sauce of some sort.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- deliciousknowwhatsgoodDined on 8/7/2014Lobster bisque was excellent. Lamb shank melted in your mouth. Risotto was delicious. Pasta was awesome. Service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- go here. now!evdsluysDined on 8/3/2014Had a great meal here. Tried their chicken and waffles. Was quite tasty!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.