1181 Melville Street
Vancouver, BC V6E 0A3Neighborhood:
Contemporary FrenchPrice: CAN$30 and under
Tableau Bar Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.tableaubarbistro.com/
- Phone: (604) 639-8692
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday thru Friday 11:30am-2:30pm
Dinner: Monday thru Saturday 5:00pm - 10:30pm
Brunch: Sunday 10:00am-3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French, Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Marc-André Choquette
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: For catering requests, please contact email@example.com
- Special Events: For special events, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
A neighbourhood bar bistro – serving an updated take on traditional French bistro fare prepared by Executive Chef Marc-André Choquette and his talented team.
Discover a beautifully renovated interior that combines old world classic bistro elements with modern touches and a French-inspired menu that blends classic culinary flavours of Paris with the use of fresh west coast ingredients.
A dynamic bar scene serves seasonal in-house and classic cocktails and a great selection of local and draft beers on tap as well as an eclectic mix of approachable wines built from the regions of France.
The perfect place for a business lunch, meeting friends out on the patio, everyday dining, special celebrations or brunch with the family.
Come for the scene. Stay for the service. Return for the fare.
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
- Great place, Highly RecommendOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/24/2014I brought my boyfriend here for his birthday and everything was just perfect. The service was great the moment we entered the restaurant. Our server was super nice and attentive, suggesting us things in the menu and even letting us try the wine before ordering a glass ourselves. We ordered oysters, french onion soup, the fish feature of the day-Salmon, the Steak Frites and ended everything off with their Creme Brûlée. I could not have asked for a better dinner to celebrate with my boyfriend. This restaurant is the place to go to if you are looking for somewhere to have a romantic dinner or to celebrate for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FritzDined on 11/15/2014This the first time my wife and I attended this restaurant. We were impressed by the variety in the the menu and the good service and attentiveness given by the staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We have been here many many times!luv2eatVIPDined on 11/12/2014My favourite is dishes are the salad nicoise and the palm frites. Serve was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simple and classichumdrumdumDined on 11/11/2014Their food isn't that complicated but it's the classics done very well! Their servers are very knowledgeable about the food and wine, but can be a bit snobby at times, but that adds to the charm! hahaha Will be coming back for sureSpecial Features:
- Good FoodNSFoodieDined on 11/10/2014I have been to the sister restaurant Homer St. Cafe (which I love so much) so I wanted to try Tableau out and they didn't disappoint. I had their Beef Bourguignon and it was melt in your mouth delicious! Service was good as soon as I stepped in the door right to assisting me chose my wine. I would definitely go again to try out the other items on their menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighbourhood Gem is appropriateRebeccaDined on 11/10/2014As a resident of the area, there are scores of restaurants from which to choose from. What brings us back to Le Tableau time and again is the food - the Tuna Nicoise is my standby; the Kale & Beet Salad is also very good. From the mains, the Steelhead Trout is fantastic. My husband loves the French Onion Soup, Moules Frites & Braised Short Ribs. Best dessert so far was a daily special featuring chocolate ganache with fresh mint ice cream. Delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent little bistroBrunchVIPDined on 11/10/2014A great lunch spot, and well worth the trip. The fish cakes are really good.Special Features:
- A winner except for noise levelgajhohDined on 11/8/2014Steelhead trout tartar- mmm good. The steak frites -perfection. The braised ribs-heavenly. Friendly & attentive waiter. The sleek minimalist furnishings seemed to facilitate a noticeable noise level that made it difficult to hear the waiters list of specials & to hear each other.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Magnifique!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/7/2014Excellent food and service. The steelhead trout is always delicious. Lobster bisque, beet and kale salad also very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and pricesJDJHDined on 11/5/2014A few years in, Tableau continues to provide reliably good food for good prices. It is, however, crowded and noisy at peak periods. If you consider noise to be energy, then this won't bother you. No good for a business lunch however as you have to speak loudly and people cannot help but overhear what you're saying. Our waitress (who has worked there for awhile) was friendly, but we had to work to catch her eye to place our order and then later to pay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Started off ok, Ended very badlyluv2dineVIPDined on 10/29/2014We were greeted nicely and seated quickly at the bar for a quick drink before dinner. Host and bartender were very nice and friendly. We then went to our table where we were seated and dropped off with menus. Took quite awhile for server to return to take our order - at least 20 mins. Food came and it was ok - the trout was bland as was the ravioli and pasta dish. All needed to be salted. Server dumped off dessert menus and we were all going to have dessert but again, 20 mins before she came back for our order. We asked if she forgot about us (nicely) and she turned into a real bag saying we were talking and she didn't want to interrupt - gave us a lot of attitude and got her back up right away. We decided against dessert and left.Special Features:
- Excellent ChoiceeatnlaffDined on 10/25/2014What a gem!! This is a terrific little upscale city bistro with very reasonable prices and not plastered with TV's everywhere. A casual yet elegant menu with a french flair and euro style service...professional! The leg of lamb special was a hit - elegant presentation and foodie tasty. The french onion soup, a house staple, was authentic and excellent. Flatbread starters were tasty also. A great place to meet, eat or catch the game at the bar. We will certainly come back!Special Features:
- Price qualityBelgiumDined on 10/17/2014Claming to be a french bistro... cook should visit some French Bistros to understand and learn how French Bistros cook their food, which kind of meals they offer. 3rd time I had dinner here, and this was my worst experience since.Special Features:
- Good...butFOODIEDined on 10/17/2014I am a non drinker. I have been too tableau three times now and each time I have asked for non alcoholic beer and they have not had any. Won't go back if they can't buy someSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/15/2014I found the food portions were quite small even though it was tasty. I had the pappardelle and if the portion was more like Italian Kitchen, I would have been pretty happy. The ambience was good and service was fine. The overall menu selection was a bit skimpy.Special Features:
- Sunday BruchTurboDined on 10/5/2014Amazing chicken and waffles...topped with gravy and syrup for an incredible savoury / sweet flavour. Wife had the eggs Benedict and it did not disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceMonaDined on 10/4/2014We arrived and were promptly seated. Our server was very cordial and accommodating. The French onion soup is fabulous! The Saturday night special of Short Ribs are to die for ( like butter, so tender). Finally was able to try the Trout ( was sold out last dine ) and it was done to standard. The skin was crispy perfection, and fish was moist.Special Features:
- bogiDined on 10/3/2014Good food and service. Very noise though. Good for groups but don't try to bring a date to this place. Might not impress her.Special Features:
- Always awesomeMicheleDined on 10/3/2014The food at Tableau never disappoints. The specials are always inspired (I loved the maple pecan tart dessert) and the service is great. We always get the amazing French blonde waitress (I should know her name). Best server ever. It was my colleague's birthday last week. She made it special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for a business lunchbmarieVIPDined on 10/2/2014I often reserve at Tableau for a business lunch. This restaurant is near my office and the food and service are always excellent. Check it out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service disbeliefcdubDined on 9/30/2014I frequent this place a few times a year, but never have I encountered the service I did during my last visit. I made it clear to the hostess we had three instead of four guests and one would be late. The waiter asked us about water and did not come back until 40 min later when I waved him down. I never have to do this in a Caucasian restaurant. We were not offered bread, or given the speech on features, or asked if we wanted to order any appys while waiting. It was hard to even get any attention. I had a question about the seafood platter, which was answered, but wasn't asked if I wanted to order it. He just went away. It was supposed to be a special birthday day, but it was ruined and I am never coming back...
- AmazingVemenzDined on 9/27/2014The food was incredible and I can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- divineinvancouverDined on 9/26/2014Fabulous little French bistro--you'll feel transported to Paris! Wonderful food, attention to details ( I have a wheat allergy) and I'm always guided to safe choices. Service was wonderful & the lady we had wait on us (sorry, I don't know her name) had a pleasing French accent & was most pleasant. I enjoyed the asparagus soup & a lovely salad nicoise. My daughter had the steak tartar. We were both pleased with our choices! I love this place for lunch but have had a nice pre-theatre dinner here and the atmosphere was rather romantic, I thought at night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- French Canadian CuisineLawrenceDined on 9/24/2014The steak frites was really great... It melts in your mouth and is easy to swallow.Special Features:
- Great starters, disappointing mainsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/24/2014Tableau has a great casual French feel with excellent cocktails. It is rather confused, however, with pictures and videos of Marilyn Monroe playing - when I asked the waiter her connection to the French theme, he did not have an answer (nor was his English tip top, and when I spoke to him in French - I'm bilingual - he continued to respond in heavily accented English as if to say his English was better than my French. I suppose the snobbery comes with the French restaurant). A starter of French onion soup set my expectations high - wonderful. However both mains ordered were disappointing - overcooked (severely) halibut and a confused duck confit with coleslaw - I've lived in and traveled through France and never seen coleslaw on a menu.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The worst service i have ever gotVanchicDined on 9/23/2014We waited 45 min before our server took our drink order which we decided to oder our food. Never once came back to aske how our food was. Totally forgot our bread and when we asked, didn't say anything just turned her back and dropped us the bread without a word. When we paid, that's the only time she saud thanks and left.
- FoodYorkDined on 9/23/2014The pork special was excellent. The meat was very tender. I will definitely recommend it.Special Features:
- luv2eatVIPDined on 9/22/2014Food and service 10 out of 10!! Love the cocktail 1181 Used to be full to the top this time not so? so good love it full.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/18/2014the service was disappointing. Server forgot drink, did not excuse himself for "his reach"-almost got his hand in the face. It's a good thing it was not our first time at Tableau, otherwise I would reconsider going again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ConsistentAnnickVIPDined on 9/16/2014Always good, always a pleasure to go back there. Service was a bit on the snobish side but food is consistent and always good.Special Features:
- Steak & FritesSaorsaDined on 9/13/2014Great wee restaurant with wonderful service. Had the steak & frites / and French onion soup. Magic. My wife had the Saturday special which was especially good. Waiter was lovely. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Heirloom tomato saladElle2beeDined on 9/11/2014I started with the heirloom tomato salad and it was amazing. I don't normally rave about tomatoes, but these were special. I had the halibut for the main and it came with a sweet corn purée which was surprisingly tangy. Would definitely recommend both. The wine list wasn't up to date so we weren't able to get the bottle of the rosé we initially ordered, but our second choice was fantastic. Great date spot! Seating is a but right, but this is to be expected at a French bistro. Good value as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Très bon!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/11/2014I love Vancouver's food scene. If you want to impress someone with good French cuisine, well-priced and always fresh invite them to Tableau.Special Features:
- Tasty TableauParfaiteDined on 9/10/2014Even though I have been taking friends to Le Tableau for quite some time, the food is still delicious and the service friendly and efficient. I have never waited long for my food to come (which is important on work lunches) and every part of the meal, starter, main and dessert, is enjoyable. I highly recommend this place for lunch or dinner, its a great little spot in town. Enjoy!Special Features:
- Excellent food great lunch spotYukonDined on 9/10/2014I have dined here on several occasions and it has become one of my 'go to' spots downtown. Food is fantastic and I really like the menu and décor.Special Features:
- JudeDined on 9/8/2014My second visit to Tableau was as lovely as the first. For me, it is a perfect location to take a special friend or business associate for a luncheon. A French bistro with classic touch. The menu is inventive without being pretentious and easy to share one or more plates if desired. The wait staff are gracious and knowledgeable. I really enjoyed my visit and will return for dinner soon. I love the wall of framed prints - nicely done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Sunday brunchBrunchloverDined on 9/7/2014Fantastic Sunday brunch. I went with two friends and we all had great meals. They have some options that aren't on the typical brunch menu like the mushrooms on toast which was great. Too bad they only have brunch on Sunday.Special Features:
- AverageSusanDined on 9/5/2014This restaurant was ok. Nothing particularly special. Food was good, but not amazing.
- Very nice!NiMoVIPDined on 8/24/2014I took a friend visiting from North Carolina. She was exhausted after running the SeaWheeze half marathon and wanted a quaint place for brunch. We got that and more! The menu has many wonderful choices. We recommend the egg with duck.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- we4luvtoeatoutwe4luvtoeatoutDined on 8/23/2014Nice location with easy access from downtown.The menu has a great selection of local food ,love their idea of everyday specials which gives you the chance to sample new things.The ambiance is nice and cozy ,very relaxingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.