1181 Melville Street
Vancouver, BC V6E 0A3Neighborhood:
Contemporary FrenchPrice: CAN$30 and under
Tableau Bar Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.tableaubarbistro.com/
- Phone: 6046398692x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday thru Friday 11:30am-2:30pm
Dinner: Monday thru Saturday 5:00pm - 10:30pm
Brunch: Sunday 10:00am-3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French, Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Marc-André Choquette
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: For catering requests, please contact email@example.com
- Special Events: For special events, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
A neighbourhood bar bistro – serving an updated take on traditional French bistro fare prepared by Executive Chef Marc-André Choquette and his talented team.
Discover a beautifully renovated interior that combines old world classic bistro elements with modern touches and a French-inspired menu that blends classic culinary flavours of Paris with the use of fresh west coast ingredients.
A dynamic bar scene serves seasonal in-house and classic cocktails and a great selection of local and draft beers on tap as well as an eclectic mix of approachable wines built from the regions of France.
The perfect place for a business lunch, meeting friends out on the patio, everyday dining, special celebrations or brunch with the family.
Come for the scene. Stay for the service. Return for the fare.
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
- Very nice!NiMoVIPDined on 8/24/2014I took a friend visiting from North Carolina. She was exhausted after running the SeaWheeze half marathon and wanted a quaint place for brunch. We got that and more! The menu has many wonderful choices. We recommend the egg with duck.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- we4luvtoeatoutwe4luvtoeatoutDined on 8/23/2014Nice location with easy access from downtown.The menu has a great selection of local food ,love their idea of everyday specials which gives you the chance to sample new things.The ambiance is nice and cozy ,very relaxingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic French BistroMarieDined on 8/23/2014This was my 2nd visit to Tableau and it was just as good as the first!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mealtorontoboyDined on 8/22/2014Tableau is consistently good. Great food. Fun, well designed interior. Great staff and service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- goodbooscuisineDined on 8/21/2014Service was great...and the food was good. But our steak was cold. Will go back and try again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/20/2014Great service! The pasta I had was not too heavy, but was delicious. I only wish one thing- that the food presentation matched the quality of the food itself. But that's a minor thing- I definitely want to go back.Special Features:
- Good Food...excellent serviceCharDined on 8/20/2014Food was delicious, waiter was well versed in menu, his timing impeccable and never once did we feel rushed or pushed into ordering alcohol. I would recommend this a a good spot for a lunch with a client, a romatic dinner with someone special or a late night patio with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/18/2014We had a very average to above average meal here. The onion soup is delicious, everything else was decent but no standouts. However, we had a very rude waiter and not great service. People next to us sat AFTER us, ordered AFTER us and got bread and drinks brought to them almost 10 minutes before we did! The space is beautiful though, great ambiance however, it did not make up for what ended up being a pretty average meal. Wouldn't go back.Special Features:
- richibiDined on 8/17/2014this is, flat out, one of the best restaurants in Vancouver right now, from the cloth table napkins, soft blue and white, and spotless, through the rabbit terrine I had with olives and peanuts, delicious, inventive, their eggs Benedict with brisket rather than ham, yolks a van Gogh orange, obviously organic, to the Chenin Blanc that accompanied generous rivulets of my Hollandaise my companions were equally delighted with their choices an incident occurred, my mom sent a glass of red wine crashing to the floor perilously close to another table, glass flew under the party's chairs, the staff was utterly professional, not at all discomfited, offering even to replace my mom's spilt wine we were greatly impressed, we'll be back very soonSpecial Features:
- not so goodcestmoiDined on 8/13/2014I've eaten here before and always had great food . This time not so much...appetizers of salmon tartare and steak tartare were both good, although the beef was quite coarsely chopped Steak frites was ok but was undercooked for how it was ordered, that turned into a blessing in disguise.Main problem was the duck confit...described by the server as being served with a coleslaw salad, bit odd we thought so reconfirmed that. My wife ordered it, bad choice.We've had confit all over the world.The portion was exceptionally small, less than 4 ounces of meat, was covered in a mustard type sauce that was not included in the description and my wife couldn't eat that.The coleslaw was whole baby carrots with cabbage, my wife ate that and my steak.Sad!
- Lives up to the reviews!OllieDined on 8/12/2014Our server Julien was prompt, friendly and knowledgeable. We both had the heirloom tomato salad (a special) - it was excellent and the battered zuccini flower was fabulous! The steak frites, cooked exactly as ordered (take note Gotham) was nicely sliced and presented. The frites were HOT and delicious. The only minor disappointment was the watercress which I believe was spinach . . no dressing, overwhelmed by the nicely seasoned steak. The lobster and clam linguini. . .delicious. Our server was attentive and made sure the wine and water glasses were full throughout the meal. As I was driving I had limited myself to one glass of wine but found the server's offer of a top up at the end of the evening very thoughtful (declined!).Special Features:
- Upscale bistroOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/12/2014Entrée was phenomenal! French food meets Paula deen...fried chicken like never before. Fish cakes were lacking the 'fish' element...and could've used a sauce of some sort.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- deliciousknowwhatsgoodDined on 8/7/2014Lobster bisque was excellent. Lamb shank melted in your mouth. Risotto was delicious. Pasta was awesome. Service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- go here. now!evdsluysDined on 8/3/2014Had a great meal here. Tried their chicken and waffles. Was quite tasty!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vibrant and FreshOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/1/2014Food is deliciously vibrant and fresh. Every mouth full is flavourful. Service is efficient and friendly. Enjoyed our birthday celebration dinner and would definitely come back.Special Features:
- delicious lunchEsmeDined on 7/29/2014Three of us enjoyed an outstanding lunch at Tableau. We ordered some of the daily specials and were very pleased with all our selections both in terms of presentation and taste. The service was excellent. I would not hesistate to recomment the restaurant, and look forwarrd to returning soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchHowardDined on 7/27/2014Had a wonderful meal and loved the service and room. We'll be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a romantic eveningYmousAnonDined on 7/26/2014Tasty light food, great cocktails, great service. Try the mushroom on bread appy, and have them make you something at the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MB88Dined on 7/26/2014This restaurant is consistently excellent. Great food, excellent staff and a nice setting. It is also a great value for downtown Vancouver.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodFormerTucsoniteDined on 7/25/2014We ate here on a Friday evening and had an excellent meal: the mussels and the lemon ravioli with a French Onion soup starter. The latter was by far the best I've had anywhere and our mains were fantastic--full of unique flavors and beautifully presented. The tables are a little close for an intimate experience though most of our meal was without neighbors. Lovely French bistro ambiance. Knowledgeable, unpretentious service. Good wine selection though a bottle is probably the better deal than glasses. Would definitely recommend Tableau.Special Features:
- ConsistentEastVanLocalDined on 7/25/2014Another excellent experience! Nice to see seasonal updates to the menu.Special Features:
- Very averageThegreedyaussieDined on 7/22/2014We book this restaurant off a review. From the time we arrived and waited 10 minutes for the hostess to acknowledge us I was worried, this continued through out the meal with bone shards in the rabbit terrine and even though I advised the waiter I was gluten free I was served crisps that were fried in oil. When enquiring weather they my have flour in them I was told they may or may not or the oily may have so don't eat them. Overall very disappointing.
- Excellent business lunch spotYukonDined on 7/21/2014Tableau has been consistently excellent on each of the three times I have been there. It is a great spot for a business lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Popular bistroEmilGDined on 7/19/2014My wife and I had dinner here a couple of days ago after reading a description in a local magazine. Much as I wanted to love the place, I found it to be fairly run of the mill with no outstanding features. Everything was 'nice' in a fairly standard way, and service was good. I'd certainly go there for lunch if I was in the area and didn't feel like walking somewhere else. The one disappointment was the selection of wines by the glass which, though nice, was small and had some of the listed wines unavailable with no substitutions offered. Overall, I found Tableau nothing special.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/19/2014Always good food, the wine list way over priced. Also the night we dined the staff very disorganized, at least 4 servers came in the space of an hour and a half, no one really looking after us though.Special Features:
- Special Occasion LunchwineNdineDined on 7/18/2014My husband and I completely enjoyed our lunch at Tableau. I had made our reservations through OpenTable and noted that we were celebrating our 10th anniversary. We were quite impressed that most of the staff were aware of this and very warmly and genuinely congratulated us. Our meals were delicious and the service was excellent. I can't wait to come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- birthdaygirlDined on 7/17/2014Impeccable service. Nice to be left to rest between courses. Will certainly be returning once again.Special Features:
- Delivers as alwaysMDCYVRDined on 7/17/2014Booked at short notice. Were able to accommodate a quieter corner. Service was efficient and food delivered promptly. Helpings well sized. Ambient noise a little load for a working lunch but will be back for the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We brought guests from out of townOdysseyDined on 7/16/2014Ambience was nice and although there was an inexplicable delay with our main courses, the servers handled it graciously in offering a complimentary round of drinks. They seemed genuinely concerned about our dining experience and I will not hesitate to go back because of the way they handled the situation. Their approach also prevented embarrassment for my partner and I who had brought guests with us from out of town...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodieDined on 7/14/2014My only complaint is that all the staff wear shirts that say "Vote Tableau Bar Bistro." I'm sorry, but a "great" restaurants doesn't need to do this. Would I say it's the best… No, but it's good and the staff are friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Environment too warm in hot summereataroundDined on 7/14/2014It was a warm day at 29C and they opened the patio and all windows. The environment is too warm. Food was good. I had the duck breast and my friend had the trout. I was sweating heavily after I had the onion soup. Could be cooler if they have the a/c. Probably won't go again in the summer.
- Not up to parNVgirlDined on 7/9/2014Overall, the food was disappointing. To start: we ordered the lobster salad to share..and it was noticeably smaller then last time I had it. (We were charged reg price, not a starter price) The salad itself was good, though could have had a bit more lobster in it for almost $20. The mains; I had the double lamb chop. The meat itself was tasty and pink inside, the way I like it. BUT, disappointingly, the au jus and spinach & mushroom were WAY too salty. (I was starving so still ate it) My friends halibut was "okay"..a little dry. For a restaurant of their calibre I was quite shocked that they missed the mark on both main courses. Dessert: The strawberry dacquoise was far too sweet. Standout dish: the ginger lime creme brûlée was superbSpecial Features:
- Fine and kind French foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/4/2014Delicious French bistro cuisine with utterly charming service; how lovely to eat well in a welcoming vibrant atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cranberry and SodaOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/4/2014The restaurant charged after asking if we wanted a refill. Who knew it would be $16 for 2 Cran/Soda each???Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good French fooddwaggerDined on 6/30/2014The mushrooms on toast are excellent. Great selection of beer and wine. The creme brulé was very good. Having spent some time in France I have found it difficult to find many restaurants here that describe themselves as French to actually capture the simplicity of real French cooking. Tableau does. The menu isn't cute or fussy, just a selection of dishes that are light on pretense and big on process... Just like France. A couple of wonderful beers from French Flanders and some wonderful French wines. The service was attentive but not intrusive. The roast duck was fork tender. A definite yes for those who love French food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent restaurant!SeahawkfoodiesDined on 6/28/2014While in a Seattle restaurant our group met a couple that recommended Tableau & Homer St restaurants as we mentioned we were visiting Vancouver soon. We first went to Homer St for lunch and were so impressed with the unique flavor & service from Rebecca & Matt that we had to go to Tableau. Tableau was just as amazing! Thanks for the recommendation Steven!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not What I'd Hoped...OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/25/2014We were pretty excited about a first bite at Tableau as we've heard some good reviews and love the decor - intimate French Bistro. However the food was a disappointment. It was simply average. I had a shrimp & calamari dish to start which was just ok. The seafood was grilled nicely, but lacked any real flavour, so was rather unremarkable. As a main I ordered a classic salad nicoise and that was a true disappointment. The green beans were overcooked, the lettuce seemed less than fresh, and the seared, rare tuna didn't really have a fresh firm texture too it. The eggs in the salad were cooked beautifully, but other than that, I was quite underwhelmed. Don't see any reason to rush back since there are lots of wonderful choices in the Van!
- SueSDined on 6/25/2014We went on a Wednesday for the special "duck confit" - excellent - very similar to our duck in Paris! My husband has a huge bowl of mussels, my sister the seafood tagliatelli - both very good! My sister is in a wheelchair and they accomodated us beautifully.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/25/2014Excellent all around for ambience, service, food, parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty start to Sunday morning.JaycinDined on 6/22/2014My wife and I had brunch wanting to try the Chicken n Waffles and the Shaved Brisket Benny. Very very happy with the flavors of both meals. The chicken stayed crispy to the last bite. The Montreal smoked brisket on the Benny was an awesome surprise. Our server, Ed, was excellent. Our only complaint was the extremely loud group of patrons sitting nearby.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.