52 West Elm Street
Chicago, IL 60610Neighborhood:
Gold Coast / Streeterville
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.tablefifty-two.com/
- Phone: (312) 573-4000
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:30pm
Brunch: Sunday: 10:30am - 1:30pm
Holiday Closures: New Years Day, Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Southern
- Executive Chef: Chef Art Smith
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Counter Seating, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Table Fifty-Two's upstairs dining room is available for private events of up to forty people for dinner or fifty-five for a reception.
- Private Party Contact: Morgan Oliver or Chas Hambright 3125734000x
- Cross Street: Between Clark & Dearborn Streets
- Public Transit: CTA Red Line Trains to Clark/Division stop
#22 Clark Street Bus
#36 Broadway Bus
- Parking: No
- Parking Details: Table Fifty-Two offers valet parking. There is also an unaffiliated parking garage directly across the street.
This is an historic residential neighborhood, available street parking is always an unexpected bonus!
A word from Table Fifty-Two
Welcome to Chef Art Smith's signature restaurant, Table Fifty-Two, the home of Southern hospitality in Chicago. Whether you are dining in the high-ceiling elegance of the upstairs dining room or the cozy, gathered-around-the-hearth comfort of the downstairs dining room, you will feel the warmth and welcoming spirit of Table Fifty-Two. His cuisine, sourced from the finest organic farms in the Midwest and ranging from Low-Country Shrimp with Stone-Ground Grits to Pistachio-Crusted Chicken Breast with Coconut-Ginger-Chili Sauce, Table has received raves from the public and food critics alike. Chef Art approaches cooking and dining the same way his mother and aunts and grandmother did, in the grand tradition of the South: use the freshest seasonal ingredients, prepare them lovingly and share them with your family and loved ones.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Table Fifty-Two reviews from OpenTable diners
206 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (125)special occasion (109)neighborhood gem (108)romantic (95)great for brunch (49)notable wine list (33)good for groups (24)hot spot (23)great for lunch (12)great for outdoor dining (5)kid-friendly (5)late-night find (5)vibrant bar scene (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Always a pleasureOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 11/23/2014We are 'repeat' patrons of Table Fifty0Two. For our most recent visit, our meals were outstanding. They food is unique and prepared with great care. We love The Southern Pickle Board with it's chef choice of sausage, cheese and homemade jam. The pickled vegetables, served in a large coffee cup, are yummy. It's a good starter for the table. The buttermilk fried chicken is delightful and the server and kitchen were very accommodating and filled our request for all dark meat. My only 'surprise' was the shrimp and grits entree. I asked if they could do an entree size portion of that appetizer. No problem, done! They charged $30 for a small sized bowl with five rather small shrimp. It was delicious, as always, but seemed a bit pricey for the portion. The sides of brussel sprouts and cornbread with pumpkin butter were very tasty. This is a restaurant where you will eat well and also 'spend well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Southern cooking at its finestNeCoovDined on 11/22/2014My husband and I dined at Tsble 52 this past weekend for my birthday and it was one of the best meals I have had in Chicago in a while. The decor is charming and you feel like you are stepping into someone's home- quaint and cozy. The service was friendly and knowledgable and the food was full of flavor! The Mac & cheese? Hands-down the best I have ever had. Shortrib? Fell apart (like it should) and was rich but number too heavy. And the hummingbird cake? Heavenly. I can't believe I waited so long to try Art's restaurant but I am so glad I finally did!! We will definitely be back:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable ExperienceTorontogalDined on 11/22/2014I'm from Toronto. I came to Table 52 for the outstanding reviews on it's mac and cheese. I don't normally eat mac and cheese, but this was incredible. We ended up coming back on the same evening for a full dinner. The Humming Bird cake was out of this world. The serve was extraordinary from the moment we stepped foot in this restaurant. Thank you! This is a must go to spot if your visiting Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date night!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/21/2014Perfect place for a quite date night. Great food God service and don't forget the perfect lighting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/20/2014Our first experience at Table 52 was exceptionally good, and we returned with friends from out of town expecting an equally impressive experience. Unfortunately, we found this second visit to be far less satisfying than the first. Our server disappeared after delivering our wine; each of us felt our entrees were far too fatty and indeed, not that flavorful; my spinach salad was quite pedestrian; and there was a general sense that the restaurant is relying on its reputation rather than its current performance. We don't plan to return, based on this recent dining experience. It's a real shame, because the ambiance and location are wonderful. But the food and service have slipped, and there is too much good competition in Chicago.
- Southern comfortdinersdriveinsdivesVIPDined on 11/18/2014Had to try Art Smith's restaurant. Traditional decor - classic but perhaps a bit dated. Service was v.good - attentive, but not obtrusive. Starter biscuits were very tasty, warm, cheesy and moist. We shared apps - deviled eggs (OK - added raisins were a twist not appreciated by all) and shrimp and grits (wonderful - shrimp cooked to perfection, grits, creamy and cheesy). Mains were catfish - delicious, moist inside, crispy outside, and fried chicken - flavourful, but a bit dry. Deserts were v. good but not spectacular. Twelve layer chic cake and pecan pie. Crust on the pie was a bit tough. Overall 3.5-4 stars.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed by the tight seatingHithere224Dined on 11/15/2014We were cramped between two tables and the ambiance was not desirable for a romantic evening with my husband. The fried chicken was dry and pork newly overly fatty. Mac and cheese was good though. We aren't picky people but both agreed we were disappointed after driving in from the suburbs.Special Features:
- Great Food - Service was a Little OffMichaelGDined on 11/14/2014Table Fifty-Two is a beautiful restaurant. The food was very inventive - southern flare with a cool twist. The Pork Belly and Fried Chicken were both very good. The service was off though - kept getting asked if we were done with our food and questioned if we had put the credit card in the bill folder at least three times. We didn't necessarily feel rushed nor were we ever abandoned by the wait staff. Just felt a little off.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful place to eat!HenkieDined on 11/13/2014We came from Windsor, ON. Canada, to celebrate my wife's birthday. I read the reviews about Table 52 on the web and decided to make it our choice for her BD dinner. We were not disappointed. The ambience was excellent, the service was pleasant and friendly and the food was superb! The staff remembered my wife's BD with a lit candle and even the four ladies at the next table extended their good wishes. The evening at Table 52 turned out to be a memorable event.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for special occasionsMDSchicagoVIPDined on 11/12/2014Warm and inviting setting in an elegant old townhouse, friendly but unobtrusive servers, great selection of bourbons, and a nouvelle southern menu that is a revelation. Everything we tried, from the fried green tomatoes to the short rib to duck breast was outstanding. The brussels sprouts were the best I've ever had, laden as they were with bacon and other tasty bits. The wine list gets pricy very quickly, but there were enough reasonably priced selections to give you some choice. Finish it all off with a slice of pecan pie, and it is a meal to write (back) home about.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticStilltasteitDined on 11/9/2014Saw the special fried chicken on the Food Network. Went for brunch on a Sunday morning and it was a great food experience. The food was fantastic along with the service. Beyond on that the decor and ambiance was even better. One place that is a must.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointeddiningoutandaboutVIPDined on 11/8/2014We had been wanting to eat at Table 52 for some time and had heard great things about it. It was SOOOO Noisy !! The service seemed a bit disjointed. Although they advertised valet parking, there was no valet outside ... and it cost us $25 to park in the garage across the street. Generally we found the food to be of interest but TOO MUCH MEAT (the portions of meat were huge) served with only a little bit of vegetables. The wine list was extensive but expensive. Having expected a calm, romantic experience, we were disappointed especially by the noise ... and also taken aback a bit by the numerous diners there in old jeans and t-shirts! We will not be returning there.
- Warm and cozycatbertwannabeDined on 11/7/2014My husband and I traveled to Chicago for a week long celebration of our 20th anniversary. We ended our food-filled week at Table Fifty-Two. It was the perfect choice! The service was warm and generous--I felt as though I were back in the South! The food was spot on. The portions were large--and the servers were happy to allow me to take my left-overs home. Art Smith's fried chicken makes a fantastic breakfast the next day! The restaurant is active on social media and uses it effectively to connect with diners and give you a taste of what's in store.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/7/2014Fried chicken and catfish, biscuits, pecan pie. Amazing. Wished they could make the downstairs a little less drafty in the winter time.Special Features:
- overall, absolutely charmingBriarmanDined on 11/7/2014The setting and ambiance were so warm and delightful that I was sure nothing could top these aspects of the restaurant, but the service exceeded all expectations and I would now say that Jerrad was the most star-worthy aspect of the experience. The food was fabulous, certainly. We loved the catfish, fried chicken, collard greens. The fried green tomatoes were wonderful, but I was taken aback by the charred endive which was too tough to chew and which I could not slice with my knife. When we come back, I'd like to order this again, but I'd ask for it without the endive. The pecan pie was like masonry & I now wish I'd asked for the ice cream by itself. Otherwise, everything was splendid and we're eager to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jim and MarijaOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/6/2014This was our second time to the restaurant and we continue to love it! Great food and service!!Special Features:
- Has it alldinetime7Dined on 11/2/2014Great food, amazing desserts and wonderful service!Special Features:
- Altogether PerfectSarandipityDined on 11/1/2014There is absolutely nothing wrong with Table 52. So glad that I found it. I will definitely return.Special Features:
- Friendly staff, delicious food1stTimersDined on 10/31/2014The hostess was very friendly upon greeting my friend and I. It was our first time and our server was very helpful in settling us in comfortably. The butter fried chicken is good! Wish there was some sort of sauce to dip for a more flavorful experience. I would def try the pizza and mac/cheese next time!Special Features:
- remarkableJohnDined on 10/31/2014Table 52 executes on every level. The space is reminds me of having dinner at a super club. The small space removes unwanted noise from the experience and allows the staff to perform at a level I rarely see. I never felt like I was being hawked over, and no dish/glass/utencil was ever on the table that wasn't being utilized. Derek and the team were remarkable. The good was outstanding. The best duck breast and collard greens I've ever had (I'm from the South). They source as much as possible from small, family farms. I felt at home. Thank you for the Halloween treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Totally impressed and stuffed!!ServiceGuruDined on 10/29/2014I have worked in the hospitality industry for many years. I have very high expectations for service and am rarely wow'd by a dining experience in that sense. From the moment we walked in the door everyone was exceptionally friendly. Big smiles and prompt service. We watched as there was a mishap with the order of the man sitting next to us. The Chef, in a quick and smart manner, told the man to please enjoy that dish while we went and prepared the proper one. The older man didn't want to be a bother, but the chef insisted in the kindest way. At the end of the night they brought them a surprise desert as well as to our tables as well. The food was cooked excellently, the collard greens were perfection. It was a very enjoyable experienceSpecial Features:
- A real DisappointmentQ4birdsDined on 10/29/2014The disappointment started with waiting forever to get going, granted we were there at 5 but no one else was in the place. When the water finally arrived it was warm but they did keep bringing me ice. The waiter finally showed up at 5:30 for drinks, one person in our party was late, but we did ask to start anyway, it was like we were being punished. Anyway, the desert, hummingbird cake wasn't anything I would order again and the final straw was that we were charged extra for ordering our drinks neat, claimed it was an industry standard, but it didn't mention it on the menu. We left at 8, a long time for a week day dinner that started at 5. I did like the microwavable doggy-bag containers.
- Not to be missedWolverinesDined on 10/26/2014We have been to Table 52 for dinner a few times. Always a treat and beyond the usual fare. The southern atmosphere, the service and the little extras are extraordinary. I did not expect a little appetizer when we went for Sunday brunch. But the "bread" was so good that we ate it all. It's not really a brunch, but a formal menu that you can enjoy casually. Everything looked great. Too bad there were only two of us!Special Features:
- table 52davisi28Dined on 10/25/2014Wonderful experience. GREAT food and wonderful service. Vegan requirements were exceeded. Chef was over the top!!!!Special Features:
- Love.JMarkDined on 10/24/2014This is one of my favorite places. The service is amazing and the food is wonderful. Thank you.Special Features:
- Good but...FittyDined on 10/21/2014An overall nice dining experience was marred by the service. Food took too long to come and once it did our server only came once to check in on us. Once finished, the wait staff quickly brought the dessert menu. After passing on dessert, it took another 15 minutes just to get the check. All of this was on a slower night at the beginning of the week.Special Features:
- WonderfulACWilliamsDined on 10/19/2014Wonderful food and service. Went for brunch and I will definitely be going back for dinner. Only concern would be the cold air if you're seated by the door.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Southern Brunch in ChicagoctandhtDined on 10/19/2014This restaurant was absolutely wonderful. The brunch menu is a combination of southern classics and modern fare. This was the first time that I have ever had grits that I have liked. All of the food was wonderful and the service was great. We had very high expectations and it exceeded all of them.Special Features:
- Excellent service and foodNoMeat4MeDined on 10/18/2014Sweetest Day was made sweeter......we enjoyed the food and the ambience was great. Easy to find and parking was a breeze. We lost track of time because everything was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's not KFC or Popeye's ChickenSteverinoDined on 10/18/2014At $25.00 one would be hesitant to order fried chicken at a very upscale restaurant. Don't be. The buttermilk fried chicken is some of the best food you will ever eat. And despite Table 52 being an upper end establishment the portions are not small. My wife ordered the chicken and three large, mostly white meat pieces were served that would be too much for just a bout any woman or man for that matter. All portions were generous from appetizers to salads to main courses to desserts. We have been once before and we will certainly go back.Special Features:
- Nice experienceSteveVIPDined on 10/15/2014I caught the restaurant on a rainy night mid-week, so it was not very busy. The food and service was great and my date raved about the food. I found everything to be delicious and with great presentation.Special Features:
- Bad surprise...Brazilcouple25yrweddingDined on 10/14/2014Initially, ambiance was nice, and expectations were good! Unfortunately, menu is not that much (too short), and the traditional and recommended Buttermilk Fried Chicken was really nothing special, not more than a simple fried chicken... Mac Tree Cheese good, but only good. Photos from the menu gives you a different idea... 7 days in Chicago, 5 restaurants visited (Fig&Olive, MK, Chicago Cut SteakHouse and Travelle at he Langham Hotel), the only 1 we would not recommend. Excuse us for the sincere opinion.
- Forget your diets!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/12/2014Your diets will go out the window when you dive into their deliciously moist yet crispy chicken and waffles, fluffy pancakes and amazing sticky buns. Well worth the visit, and the whole Gold Coast neighborhood is gorgeous!Special Features:
- Poor serviceChitowntomVIPDined on 10/11/2014We have eaten here many times since this restaurant opened and have always loved the food. The food we still love but the service has deteriorated each year to the point that we won't ever go back. Such a shame.Special Features:
- Just okay - will not returnKathVIPDined on 10/11/2014Just okay food. No substitution of a vegetable that was with another meal. This was ridiculous! A tiny restaurant and acting that controlling. We have been to large dollar restaurants to very intimate restaurants and they most often oblige. We will not return.
- slp1slp1Dined on 10/5/2014We went for the Sunday brunch and enjoyed it very much. The complimentary pumpkin bread was wonderful. Everyone ordered different items and the Mac and Cheese, chicken and waffles and shrimp and grits were very good. Good cocktails and excellent service!Special Features:
- Overpriced mediocre home style foodMrChaseDined on 10/2/2014If you want home style food go to Cracker Barrel. This place is ok but not worth it if your like really good food. At night theu keep the door open a let in all of the bugs. So don't go here at night unless you like bugs in ur food.
- Continues to shinesonomastanVIPDined on 10/2/2014Table Fifty-Two continues to deliver a lovely dining experience. Not recommended for the diet minded. This take on Southern cuisine spares no calories but delivers wonderful flavorsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/1/2014The food was very good but service was slow, seemed like could've used another waitress, and things were pricey. Good experience but not in a rush to get backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food...cj60609Dined on 9/28/2014The only reason you want to come here is if in fact you're in love with good food. This southern style menu is just the right touch for the big city. I'll be back for sure...Special Features: