48 College St
Asheville, NC 28801Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://tableasheville.com/
- Phone: 8282548980x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Wednesday - Saturday; 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday; 5:30pm - 9:30pm
Friday, Saturday; 5:30pm - 10:30pm
Sunday Brunch: 10:30am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jacob Sessoms
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Email email@example.com if you are interested in being on our mailing list for quarterly wine dinners, anniversary events, etc.
A word from Table
Table is a small, seasonal, New American restaurant in the heart of downtown Asheville. Always inventive and at times whimsical, chef Jacob Sessoms’ daily changing menu is inspired by a wealth of American culinary traditions, paying particular homage to the South. Upon opening the doors in 2005, Table committed to supporting, celebrating, and showcasing regional and sustainable agriculture. Jacob and his team foster long-standing relationships with farmers and purveyors in Western NC and throughout the Southeast. Complimenting the critically acclaimed cuisine is an equally intelligent and imaginative wine and craft cocktail list, represented both in the dining room and upstairs at The Imperial Life cocktail and charcuterie lounge. In the intimate dining room and at the small chef’s bar, a welcoming staff of service professionals ensure that guests are comfortable and well-informed. Please contact the restaurant with any questions, or better yet, stop in to say hello!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Table - Best Restaurants in Asheville ›
Table reviews from OpenTable diners
130 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (103)special occasion (63)neighborhood gem (39)romantic (37)notable wine list (31)hot spot (19)great for lunch (11)vibrant bar scene (10)great for brunch (10)good for groups (8)late-night find (4)scenic view (3)kid-friendly (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/21/2014Pretty restaurant and a great concept but for us it fell flat. I had the scallops with miatake mushroom, bacon broth, snow peas and butter beans. It was light, lots of veggies, more soupy than expected. My partner had the whole trout with mussels, cauliflower, date, and harissa. He expected something spicy but found the fish bland and difficult to eat in the darkness (hard to pick out the bones) and the rest an indistinguishable stew. The hangar steak at the next table looked very good and we wished we had ordered that.
- Very EnjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/18/2014Excellent menu selections, great service, comfortable price-point.Special Features:
- Almost Great... ExceptOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/18/2014Suppose this happens from time to time but beware the server who becomes bewitched by a table of single young ladies and forgets he has other tables to take care of. While an effort was made once he recognized how many folks were annoyed, the damage was done. Great food and atmosphere helped take the edge off but nonetheless the potentially wonderful and romantic evening was down the tubes. Too many great places in town to chance it again but if you're ok rolling the dice on service the food is really incredible.Special Features:
- Good not GreatkileeDined on 10/17/2014We would prefer more or different menu selections- a bit pricey for what you get. I would say it's worth a try but not for everybody- no wow factor for us - lots of great competition in AshevilleSpecial Features:
- Excellent experienceBigCityGalDined on 10/16/2014My general experience at Table is that it is consistently excellent in menu and waitstaff. The staff is friendly and regularly check back with customers so the customers needs are met. But also they do not hover and let the customers have their dining experience in a relaxed atmosphere . The menu, food prep and presentation is simple, delicious and elegant. My dining experience there has always been perfect!Special Features:
- Great experienceLov2travelDined on 10/13/2014We really enjoyed our dinner at Table. Our food was delicious and the service was excellent. we would highly recommend Table.Special Features:
- Excellent FoodMemomDined on 10/12/2014My husband and I eat at the Table restaurant every time we visit Asheville, NC. We love the atmosphere and the food is always wonderful. The wait staff has always been courteous and helpful in explaining the menus items. We would rate it as one of the top places to eat in Asheville.Special Features:
- Try a different tableDCfoodieDined on 10/11/2014After researching food options I was very excited to try Table. Unfortunately the food was only average (except for the dandelion salad which was very good) and there were long delays in the kitchen for us and others. Pass on this one! (None of the people in my party were "wowed " with their meals and the scallop dish was so small it wasn't worth the high price).
- Great food, casual atmosphereJackVIPDined on 10/11/2014Dined at Table at the recommendation of our daughter. Boy was she right! While the dining area is anything but elegant, the food is fabulous. My appetizer was the lobster buckwheat pasta combination which was both unique and delicious. We both sa ores the hangar steak which was the most flavorful cut of meat either of us had ever eaten. Additionally, the mixologist behind the bar makes a first rate martini. Great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great staff, great foodJohnDavidDined on 10/6/20148pm dinner with my wife on a Monday night for our anniversary. Initially, we were put off because we were told another party was staying later than anticipated, so our table wouldn't be ready for 30 minutes. We chose to sit at the kitchen bar for appetizers while we waited. While we wished the staff had been more apologetic at first, they made up for it during our meal. We enjoyed the kitchen view so much we decided not to move to a table. Wait staff was exceptional - always available and helpful, but not obnoxious. Food was incredible - I had steak, wife had pork chop. Wine list was great, and we both had wine. Very small place, so food and service very personal. Chef and staff very friendly and clearly enjoy their work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- exemplaryashevillian17VIPDined on 10/5/2014Table never disappoints. Everything was excellent, and it was the first time in a long time, and many restaurants, the steak was cooked perfectly - for some reason our steak kept arriving medium elsewhere, instead of medium-rare, but table got it spot on!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!WJC722VIPDined on 10/5/2014I was dining alone and had a beautiful trout dinner! I loved the food, very interesting food combinations and great service.. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 3 years ago, a great spotFoodankDined on 10/3/2014Not sure if they are in a rut but everything we had with exception to the succotash (served w Scallops) was off. I think the chef is very talented but.......I'm not sure he is tasting the food. Seems like all the resturaunts in Asheville are hard pressed to be distinguished. Perhaps basic could be the new different?
- Amazing Food!!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/26/2014Our dining experience was wonderful. I tried foods I had never tried before and am now a fan (bone marrow). I had the pork chop as my entree and it was thick and tender. Perfect! The only negative was we had an 8:30 reservation and our table was not ready when we arrived.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/24/2014As always - interesting menu. great service (first night for recent NYC transplant - with restaurant mgt. position there - paid off) and nice wine selection. Quality.Special Features:
- A must stop in Asheville!NCnativeDined on 9/24/2014My wife and I had wanted to eat at Table for a while. After reading about in Our State our hopes were high, and I can honestly say our expectations were exceeded! This is hands down one of the best meals I have ever had. My wife had a delicious filet of trout that succulent, tender, and retained a perfectly crisp skin. My hanger steak with a kale caesar salad and fresh beets was a revelation! If you're in the mood for a drink we can recommend the bloody mary (made with home made pickled okra, cucumber, and olive) as well as my personal favorite the French 75. A cocktail not many know how to make and never before have I had one mixed so well. This will absolutely become a must stop for us whenever we're in our town!Special Features:
- Original Menu, Great ServiceHapjamlawVIPDined on 9/20/2014Delicious food from an original menu that changes daily. Efficient and friendly service. Started to get rather noisy toward the end of the meal.Special Features:
- Fresh and WonderfulmelinncVIPDined on 9/18/2014We dined here for lunch on a Thursday afternoon while passing through Asheville. Table exceeded mt expectations. Portions were huge and a value for the price. The food was fresh and I liked that the veggies looked like they came from the farmers market or were grown in someones garden...they were not "perfect" but very tasty! I had the fried chicken with corn cakes, a herb salad, and pimento cheese. My husband had the falafel pita with a side salad and also started off with some chicken liver pate. I tasted everything and would have been happy ordering either dish again in the future.Special Features:
- Attentive ServersluncherDined on 9/13/2014The food was very good, the service was outstanding. The open room makes the area very loud and produces a lot of background noise.Special Features:
- Table ImpressedDanny007Dined on 9/12/2014The server who waited on us was very knowledgeable, observant and precise. My wife has food allergies (Gluten - Dairy - Nuts) and everything went perfect with the attentiveness the establishment brought to the TABLE! ImpressiveSpecial Features:
- SKIP THIS ONE!RobynVIPDined on 9/12/2014Three bad meals in a row in 2 years. This one is definitely off my list. The preparation and selection was better this time but EVERY ITEM I received was so EXTREMELY oversalted that it was inedible. NOTE TO CHEF: SALT CAN BE ADDED AT THE TABLE. I know this is an unheard of concept but I assure you it is very plausible. Even the tomato salad dressing was very oversalted. Both our meals were very poor and my dining companion was served chicken that was raw and cold inside. Only the outside was warmed. There are way too many great restaurants in AVL for this place to stay in business. Instead spend your money (and less of it) at Posano's, Curate', Limones, Marketplace or Zambra's.
- Unique menu, great atmosphere!Nadine262Dined on 9/6/2014I highly recommend Table. Must try the cast iron octopus & red snapper sashimi appetizers. Two in our group had the NY Strip, one pork chop and one rabbit saltimboca, all left very satisfied! The rabbit was outstanding but very rich. Our server was extremely knowledgable and the evening flowed perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not greatRaleighwkenderDined on 9/6/2014We've always loved Table but hadn't visited in a couple of years. This time out, we weren't as wowed as usual. The service is terrific, the wine list interesting and decently priced, but the menu itself didn't inspire. I had the chicken, which was nicely cooked and had an amazing pan sauce ... but was huge, a half chicken! I remember Table as lively but on this Saturday night, it was so loud that we couldn't really have a conversation. Sadly, we're taking Table off our personal must list, at least for dinner. The food just doesn't seem as thoughtful or carefully executed as in the restaurant's early days, and Asheville has so new places options to try.
- Enjoyed agreat mealHungryladyVIPDined on 9/5/2014We loved our table, waiter and meal. Great Evening, food and wine. A gem in Asheville.Special Features:
- Great use of local ingredientsDragonfliesDined on 9/5/2014We visited Table for the first time and really enjoyed it. It was our anniversary & soon after seating us they presented us with complimentary champagne - nice touch! I had the veal sweetbreads - which were wonderfully savory and just crisp enough to stand up to the sauce. I also tried the Hawaiian monchong, a fish I had never tried before. It was incredible - tender and moist with a firm texture. I was sad to be finished with it! My husband had the trout, which was served skin on, head to tail. Our server offered to demonstrate how best to eat it when served that way - another nice touch. We were too full to try any of the desserts so we'll have to try them next time.Special Features:
- Consistently Good!ScribblesDined on 9/4/2014We celebrated our anniversary at Table - the service and the food were very good. We enjoy Table because the menu changes regularly with the seasons and local product availability. Sometimes there are several options that sound great and sometimes the choices may not be as appealing - rabbit was a choice this week and it was delicious. My husband wasn't as thrilled with the choices however he had the pork and it was great. Definitely an interesting local restaurant and one foodies should try when they are in Asheville.Special Features:
- great tastesdennisDined on 9/2/2014waiter was great. pork dish had a lot of fat. otherwise greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Table reviewbirthdaydinnerDined on 8/29/2014Food was great. Ambiance..., Due to alarms going off, was a little off. Felt crowded, a bit chaotic at times. had fire alarms go off which was unfortunate. Had I not been falling in love with my date, it might have been a more negative experience. Food was over the top elegant in taste. Wine was fabulous, as was the server's knowledge and suggestions. But for the $$, I think a few less tables would be better. Such close quarters, it had at times the feel of the crowdedness of a diner. Shouldn't feel like that at that price. But, i admit, that's probably a little picky. I would go back, and would recommend your restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very NiceLittleVIPDined on 8/25/2014Enjoyed our dinner here. Service was very good and very informative. Food is very innovative. Small but intimate. Would definitely return.Special Features:
- Went for Dinner on a SATEmmieanne85Dined on 8/23/2014The restaurant was a bit too warm. Ordered the oysters for starters. The padron sorbet was horrible combo to put on top of oysters. Never had to say no to an oyster before but the rest of the food was delish and made up for it. Green tomato app was amazing and the bass and the sauce was great. Had to dip the bread in the sauce since it was so flavorful. Sashimi plate was very small and was o.k. will not order again and the vegetarian entree was very yummy. Will go there again since the menu changes and they are not afraid to try new things even if its a hit or miss.Special Features:
- Different in a good wayDezzoVIPDined on 8/16/2014unusual menu which i like, great appetizers, one meal out of 4 was not good (tough steak so it was comp'd - great service). All in all, you shoud try itSpecial Features:
- GreatMeal123DinnerHereB4ACTDined on 8/15/2014Our meal was great. Service was very good. Will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- we'll be backtraveldineDined on 8/14/2014We had lunch at Table and really liked the place. The food was excellent--terrific bread and amazing sandwiches and soup--and the service was fast and really friendly. My husband managed to put salt in his coffee and they gave him another cup. I liked the light in the room and it was surprisingly quiet for a place with lots of hard wood services. Convenient location from Malaprops and other places in downtown AshevilleSpecial Features:
- Recent DinnerTableOldTimersDined on 8/12/2014After visiting the Table since it opened, each time we come to Asheville (from Chattanooga), and after many, many memorable meals there, our dinner this past Tuesday (8/12) was one of the most disappointing we've ever had. Too many repetitive items (Octupus on both Appetizer and Entrée groupings), and a generally uninteresting menu. We had the quail, which was just OK. The first-course of Bone Marrow -- which last time we had it was beautifully seared on top and with a lovely gel underneath, this time was pallid and appeared to have been re-heated in a microwave (altho' the bread was lovely). Interestingly, we noted Jacob was not present in the kitchen that evening. Perhaps this could have been the problem.Special Features:
- Still good several years later1969paulVIPDined on 8/2/2014Enjoyed the changes since my last visit, including having the Imperial Life available for indoor waits. Food was top notch again. Service was mostly good, although it got a little frenetic moving sevaral tables around to accomodate larger parties. That's normal, I'm sure, though.Special Features:
- nice findwendleDined on 8/2/2014We were visiting Asheville and were able to book a reservation here (beware that reservations can be hard to get downtown). We were quite pleased with the quality of food and staff attentiveness. Food was very fresh and some innovative entrees and appetizers.Special Features:
- Had a great time...Grams13Dined on 8/1/2014Food and service were stellar. Nice local seasonal items on the menu. Will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cutting Edge in AshevilleDowntownRuthie1Dined on 7/28/2014Table is a farm fresh experience with cutting edge appeal. All foodies will be entranced with the menu and equally admiring of the innovative combinations of tastes. Truly a dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overpriced tastlessfoodieDined on 7/25/2014I would give this place a zero except the service was great I had a sea bass which had no flavor a mussel appetizer that was in a water sauce there are so many places in Asheville that are expensive and the food has taste as a side note the tables were so close together every time I moved or the man behind me moved we elbowed each other. I had to go to restroom after dinner and couldn't get out because I had to have the man behind me get up in order for me to get out so in order to avoid getting out and getting back in we skipped coffee and desert probably saved money anyway
- Wonderful eveningNanoVIPDined on 7/25/2014Absolutely wonderful food and OUTSTANDING service from Samara. We asked her to make our menu choices since we couldn't decide and they were perfect. A delightful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.