48 College St
Asheville, NC 28801Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://tableasheville.com/
- Phone: (828) 254-8980
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Wednesday - Saturday; 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday; 5:30pm - 9:30pm
Friday, Saturday; 5:30pm - 10:30pm
Sunday Brunch: 10:30am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jacob Sessoms
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Email email@example.com if you are interested in being on our mailing list for quarterly wine dinners, anniversary events, etc.
A word from Table
Table is a small, seasonal, New American restaurant in the heart of downtown Asheville. Always inventive and at times whimsical, chef Jacob Sessoms’ daily changing menu is inspired by a wealth of American culinary traditions, paying particular homage to the South. Upon opening the doors in 2005, Table committed to supporting, celebrating, and showcasing regional and sustainable agriculture. Jacob and his team foster long-standing relationships with farmers and purveyors in Western NC and throughout the Southeast. Complimenting the critically acclaimed cuisine is an equally intelligent and imaginative wine and craft cocktail list, represented both in the dining room and upstairs at The Imperial Life cocktail and charcuterie lounge. In the intimate dining room and at the small chef’s bar, a welcoming staff of service professionals ensure that guests are comfortable and well-informed. Please contact the restaurant with any questions, or better yet, stop in to say hello!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Table - Best Restaurants in Asheville ›
Table reviews from OpenTable diners
123 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (99)special occasion (60)neighborhood gem (38)romantic (34)notable wine list (29)hot spot (19)great for lunch (14)great for brunch (11)vibrant bar scene (9)good for groups (8)late-night find (7)scenic view (4)kid-friendly (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Delicious!NancyDined on 11/22/2014Cozy atmosphere. Lively but not too loud. The service was outstanding and everything that came to our table was absolutely delicious with wonderful mixtures of flavors. I highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second time did not disappointVickiVIPDined on 11/17/2014A few weeks ago I went to the Table and my review was something like "best meal ever" and my second trip there did not disappoint. Had the scallops (heads up the menu changes so last time the scallops were equally good but a different preparation). YUM!!! Another tip - the house red is really good and certainly more affordable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FABULOUUUUUUS (in sing songy voice!)RozriverozDined on 11/16/2014My date & I had gone to a well know Italian restaurant the night before and were so let down. The reviews had us hyped for a great eating experience which left ultimately left much to be desired. I wouldn't recommend that eatery (starts with an "S") as it seems to have a following for some reason. Thus, when we opted to go to Table for brunch the next day, at recommendation of my dates friend; we were guarded to restrain any expectations. Our fears were immediately put to rest with only the first cup of coffee. From there, appetizers of biscuit and gravy, chocolate croissant -- perfection. Main dishes arrived, french toast- delicious and presented beautifully. The grits and eggs w/bacon, sounds simple - but NO! The grits were amazing and bacon cooked to crispy perfection. Cant wait to return here for diner upon next Asheville visit. Marvelous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant but we had a dud waitressAshevilleVisitorDined on 11/15/2014This was our first dining experience at Table and it was outstanding. However, we happen to get a waitress who was courteous but not engaged. It's a shame too, because we could tell that all the waiters / waitresses around us were going above and beyond to make their customers feel catered to. Regardless, I would highly recommend Table because the food was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great.agagVIPDined on 11/14/2014I eat at Table on a regular basis and often take friends from out of town. It is consistently appreciated for the service and the food every time. It is truly amazing what Jacob and his team put out of the small kitchen at this incredible restaurant. I wish I could go more frequently.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh food, fresh menuBluewaterpainterDined on 11/9/2014Abundance! The quality of ingredients, the serving sizes, the inventive preparation and combinations, the finished plates, the service. We loved the entire experience from the grainy, hearty bread to start, to the delicious desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- one of Asheville's best restaurantsNANADined on 11/9/2014Brunch was OUTSTANDING. Friends had shrimp and grits which they thought were delicious. Presentation of every dish was perfection. Our waiter was very attentive without being obtrusive. I'm vegan - called ahead. The chef prepared a special dish for me that featured fava beans and Brussels sprouts that was divine. Can't wait to go back and try some other items on their innovative menu!Special Features:
- Great Foodie ExperiencewundermintDined on 11/1/2014We started out at the bar upstairs, which offered a really nice classy and open ambiance. The cocktail list was not as interesting as I've seen elsewhere in Asheville, but it was a nice start to our evening nonetheless and you can take your drink down with you to the restaurant. The noise level downstairs was a bit loud, so be aware of that. My husband and I are pescatarian and we both loved our dishes; he ordered the trout and I the scallops, which may be the best I've had in Asheville. Our out-of-town foodie friends were very happy with the hangar steak and some other meat dishes. Make sure to try some of the appetizers as well. Our server was very sweet and attentive. Overall, Table was a great choice for us!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A favorite in AshevilleUSMCwalkerDined on 11/1/2014My wife and I enjoy Asheville as a kind of upbeat escape from Boone. We try to stay in the downtown area and usually book a supper at Table. We enjoy the range of dishes and the imaginative engagement with local products. We usually have wine and a beer (although I miss the Highland Brewery line at Table). We shared an appetizer. Last Saturday it was a beet dish with duck egg and other vegetables. My wife had a chicken entree, deliciously prepared, but large enough to merit a take home box. I enjoyed scallops with accompanying vegetables. Deserts, a great apple crisp and a flan-like custard, we're great finishers. Service was helpful, well-informed about dishes, and unobtrusively attentive--and made sure we met the curtain at NC Stage.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- arrogant chefeat2muchDined on 10/30/2014flavors did not marry smoothly wines kept at wrong temperatures reds very cold 55 and below chef said so not enjoyable meal
- Possibly best meal I have ever hadVickiVIPDined on 10/27/2014Picked this based on rating only and other's reviews and I was not disappointed! The place is small so best to make a reservation. The food was amazing. I had a vegetarian dish with mushrooms and a duck egg. The choice was a bit edgy for me - but I decided to "take a risk" and it was amazing. My colleague had the scallops and we both were almost licking our plates. Will definitely be back! Highly recommend!Special Features:
- Table in AshevillegopaleovittlesDined on 10/26/2014Our waiter Stuart was very nice and informative on the food and the pairing with different wines. We started with the artisanal cheese and house charcuterie board which was brilliant! I had the chop which was excellent and my wife had the rabbit which on this night was from the belly and made into sausage. She was not a huge fan of it not because she doesn't like rabbit but because it was prepared with carrots al dente, dandelion greens and sunchoke so the dish was very savory and needed a little something else to set it off, like a hint of sweet. Overall we loved it all and would recommend it to anyone looking for a great upscale farm to table restaurant in Asheville.Special Features:
- peggyDined on 10/25/2014Great dinner with friends from out of town. Guest loved the resturant ! Lamb tartar was so fresh and beautifully done. All food was fresh, flavorful ,every dish was amazing! Cannot say anything negative, lucky to have this resturant in Asheville.Thank you Table!Special Features:
- Ambiance a buzz killer, service badSpinMDDined on 10/25/2014Food was excellent, which is sad given that the ambiance was very distressing. The music was horrible, song after song, and at some point a second droning sound started, overlapping the horrible show tunes. This really ruined the experience for us. The waitress was snarky on several occasions, and that just made it clear that we would not be going back. Too bad, for again, the food is excellent.
- Dinnerbilliken1Dined on 10/24/2014Had the pork chop and chicken. Both excellent. Dessert (apple crumble with grape ice cream) not particularly enjoyable. Server was fairly attentive and seemed to know his wines. Noise level too loud for our comfort.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- freddieDined on 10/22/2014Wine list was not good and some wines were not available. Food was good. Porkchop especially. Will return. Second visit at Table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasting MenupmarshallDined on 10/21/2014I took my girlfriend here for her birthday celebration and we decided to go all out. When I was showing her the menu online, I noticed it said they could do tasting menus, I called and they said we could absolutely work that out when we got there. They even did a wine pairing for us with every course. It was all outstanding from amuse bouche to dessert. I think the first course, the crudo with buttermilk, fig, and blades of grass was my favorite. The sweetbreads with black carrot, garlic, quail egg and creme fraiche were amazing too. Scallops in a bacon broth with beets and tiny biscuits, rabbit sausage with radish and muscadines... all fabulous and the wine pairings were spot on. I highly recommend this experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedMsMLDined on 10/21/2014Pretty restaurant and a great concept but for us it fell flat. I had the scallops with miatake mushroom, bacon broth, snow peas and butter beans. It was light, lots of veggies, more soupy than expected. My partner had the whole trout with mussels, cauliflower, date, and harissa. He expected something spicy but found the fish bland and difficult to eat in the darkness (hard to pick out the bones) and the rest an indistinguishable stew. The hangar steak at the next table looked very good and we wished we had ordered that.
- Very EnjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/18/2014Excellent menu selections, great service, comfortable price-point.Special Features:
- Almost Great... ExceptOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/18/2014Suppose this happens from time to time but beware the server who becomes bewitched by a table of single young ladies and forgets he has other tables to take care of. While an effort was made once he recognized how many folks were annoyed, the damage was done. Great food and atmosphere helped take the edge off but nonetheless the potentially wonderful and romantic evening was down the tubes. Too many great places in town to chance it again but if you're ok rolling the dice on service the food is really incredible.Special Features:
- Good not GreatkileeDined on 10/17/2014We would prefer more or different menu selections- a bit pricey for what you get. I would say it's worth a try but not for everybody- no wow factor for us - lots of great competition in AshevilleSpecial Features:
- Excellent experienceBigCityGalDined on 10/16/2014My general experience at Table is that it is consistently excellent in menu and waitstaff. The staff is friendly and regularly check back with customers so the customers needs are met. But also they do not hover and let the customers have their dining experience in a relaxed atmosphere . The menu, food prep and presentation is simple, delicious and elegant. My dining experience there has always been perfect!Special Features:
- Great experienceLov2travelDined on 10/13/2014We really enjoyed our dinner at Table. Our food was delicious and the service was excellent. we would highly recommend Table.Special Features:
- Excellent FoodMemomDined on 10/12/2014My husband and I eat at the Table restaurant every time we visit Asheville, NC. We love the atmosphere and the food is always wonderful. The wait staff has always been courteous and helpful in explaining the menus items. We would rate it as one of the top places to eat in Asheville.Special Features:
- Try a different tableDCfoodieDined on 10/11/2014After researching food options I was very excited to try Table. Unfortunately the food was only average (except for the dandelion salad which was very good) and there were long delays in the kitchen for us and others. Pass on this one! (None of the people in my party were "wowed " with their meals and the scallop dish was so small it wasn't worth the high price).
- Great food, casual atmosphereJackVIPDined on 10/11/2014Dined at Table at the recommendation of our daughter. Boy was she right! While the dining area is anything but elegant, the food is fabulous. My appetizer was the lobster buckwheat pasta combination which was both unique and delicious. We both sa ores the hangar steak which was the most flavorful cut of meat either of us had ever eaten. Additionally, the mixologist behind the bar makes a first rate martini. Great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great staff, great foodJohnDavidDined on 10/6/20148pm dinner with my wife on a Monday night for our anniversary. Initially, we were put off because we were told another party was staying later than anticipated, so our table wouldn't be ready for 30 minutes. We chose to sit at the kitchen bar for appetizers while we waited. While we wished the staff had been more apologetic at first, they made up for it during our meal. We enjoyed the kitchen view so much we decided not to move to a table. Wait staff was exceptional - always available and helpful, but not obnoxious. Food was incredible - I had steak, wife had pork chop. Wine list was great, and we both had wine. Very small place, so food and service very personal. Chef and staff very friendly and clearly enjoy their work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- exemplaryashevillian17VIPDined on 10/5/2014Table never disappoints. Everything was excellent, and it was the first time in a long time, and many restaurants, the steak was cooked perfectly - for some reason our steak kept arriving medium elsewhere, instead of medium-rare, but table got it spot on!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!WJC722VIPDined on 10/5/2014I was dining alone and had a beautiful trout dinner! I loved the food, very interesting food combinations and great service.. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 3 years ago, a great spotFoodankDined on 10/3/2014Not sure if they are in a rut but everything we had with exception to the succotash (served w Scallops) was off. I think the chef is very talented but.......I'm not sure he is tasting the food. Seems like all the resturaunts in Asheville are hard pressed to be distinguished. Perhaps basic could be the new different?
- Amazing Food!!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/26/2014Our dining experience was wonderful. I tried foods I had never tried before and am now a fan (bone marrow). I had the pork chop as my entree and it was thick and tender. Perfect! The only negative was we had an 8:30 reservation and our table was not ready when we arrived.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/24/2014As always - interesting menu. great service (first night for recent NYC transplant - with restaurant mgt. position there - paid off) and nice wine selection. Quality.Special Features:
- A must stop in Asheville!NCnativeDined on 9/24/2014My wife and I had wanted to eat at Table for a while. After reading about in Our State our hopes were high, and I can honestly say our expectations were exceeded! This is hands down one of the best meals I have ever had. My wife had a delicious filet of trout that succulent, tender, and retained a perfectly crisp skin. My hanger steak with a kale caesar salad and fresh beets was a revelation! If you're in the mood for a drink we can recommend the bloody mary (made with home made pickled okra, cucumber, and olive) as well as my personal favorite the French 75. A cocktail not many know how to make and never before have I had one mixed so well. This will absolutely become a must stop for us whenever we're in our town!Special Features:
- Original Menu, Great ServiceHapjamlawVIPDined on 9/20/2014Delicious food from an original menu that changes daily. Efficient and friendly service. Started to get rather noisy toward the end of the meal.Special Features:
- Fresh and WonderfulmelinncVIPDined on 9/18/2014We dined here for lunch on a Thursday afternoon while passing through Asheville. Table exceeded mt expectations. Portions were huge and a value for the price. The food was fresh and I liked that the veggies looked like they came from the farmers market or were grown in someones garden...they were not "perfect" but very tasty! I had the fried chicken with corn cakes, a herb salad, and pimento cheese. My husband had the falafel pita with a side salad and also started off with some chicken liver pate. I tasted everything and would have been happy ordering either dish again in the future.Special Features:
- Attentive ServersluncherDined on 9/13/2014The food was very good, the service was outstanding. The open room makes the area very loud and produces a lot of background noise.Special Features:
- Table ImpressedDanny007Dined on 9/12/2014The server who waited on us was very knowledgeable, observant and precise. My wife has food allergies (Gluten - Dairy - Nuts) and everything went perfect with the attentiveness the establishment brought to the TABLE! ImpressiveSpecial Features:
- SKIP THIS ONE!RobynVIPDined on 9/12/2014Three bad meals in a row in 2 years. This one is definitely off my list. The preparation and selection was better this time but EVERY ITEM I received was so EXTREMELY oversalted that it was inedible. NOTE TO CHEF: SALT CAN BE ADDED AT THE TABLE. I know this is an unheard of concept but I assure you it is very plausible. Even the tomato salad dressing was very oversalted. Both our meals were very poor and my dining companion was served chicken that was raw and cold inside. Only the outside was warmed. There are way too many great restaurants in AVL for this place to stay in business. Instead spend your money (and less of it) at Posano's, Curate', Limones, Marketplace or Zambra's.
- Unique menu, great atmosphere!Nadine262Dined on 9/6/2014I highly recommend Table. Must try the cast iron octopus & red snapper sashimi appetizers. Two in our group had the NY Strip, one pork chop and one rabbit saltimboca, all left very satisfied! The rabbit was outstanding but very rich. Our server was extremely knowledgable and the evening flowed perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not greatRaleighwkenderVIPDined on 9/6/2014We've always loved Table but hadn't visited in a couple of years. This time out, we weren't as wowed as usual. The service is terrific, the wine list interesting and decently priced, but the menu itself didn't inspire. I had the chicken, which was nicely cooked and had an amazing pan sauce ... but was huge, a half chicken! I remember Table as lively but on this Saturday night, it was so loud that we couldn't really have a conversation. Sadly, we're taking Table off our personal must list, at least for dinner. The food just doesn't seem as thoughtful or carefully executed as in the restaurant's early days, and Asheville has so new places options to try.